Should results be limited to participants?

Comments

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Not all results do though. I can't see a problem really.
    "OMG - my name is in the results for a 10k. Shock horror !"

... which means that someone can place you as having been in a particular location at a particular time.  

Now my life is uncomplicated... and that matters not... but some people might be able to use that information against you. 

If you don't find this 'surveillance'   - the big brother aspect - to be claustrophobic, then fine....  but I do.  I find it unhealthy for me and for society.   I don't think there should be a default position that such trivial information is published.  There should be at least a tick box to hide your name from the results lists.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Easy to confuse the power of ten, My Oh has managed to get entries for

Sue

Susan

S

SJ

followed by her surname.... Even more amusing they list her with the same club each time

Is there a way of changing this?   One of my results has my name wrong (transposed my first name and surname)... but I couldn't find a way to correct it.

• Dunno....  She doesn't care really.. Just found it funny

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

RW - e-mail Po10, they have been known to change things.
    Also I agree that some may find it all a bit big brother, but far more I would suggest are happy for self promotion through social media

• Wilkie wrote (see)

However, if you aren't cheating the only thing you have to worry about is being a bit embarrassed if you're as slow as me!

There's always someone slower, i.e. - me!!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

If anyone feels really strongly about appearing on RunBritain or PowerOf10, then don't enter a UKA event.  Loads of my results have never appeared when I wanted them to image.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i think perhaps the OP's issue is david likes to "gossip" about it but doesnt have the courage of his conviction and do anything about it.  but then it is a forum so gossip is what its about.

so David, do you have the stones and report her/him/them or are you just hot air? image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

i was a bit upset to discover that my latest result and hm pb are not on run britain with all my other dismal results. Then I realised I'm now married.

• Run Wales wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)

... which means that someone can place you as having been in a particular location at a particular time.  

Now my life is uncomplicated... and that matters not... but some people might be able to use that information against you. 

If you don't find this 'surveillance'   - the big brother aspect - to be claustrophobic, then fine....  but I do.  I find it unhealthy for me and for society.   I don't think there should be a default position that such trivial information is published.  There should be at least a tick box to hide your name from the results lists.

..........hmmm would you be complaining if you were falsely accused of some crime or other and the information that you consider 'surveillance' could prove you didn't do it as you were otherwise engaged.....i.e. running a race????  I think not.

At the end of the day, who cares?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Who cares?...  I just said... I care. As do others.

Maybe the younger generations are so attached to their mobile phones - phones that mean their every move can be tagged by the authorities, should they wish to do so - that they don't realise how suffocating to never have true freedom.  

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It may be an age thing.

The young seem to like having their movements known - tweeting where they are, what they are doing, who with, and having their movements tracked on facebook.

I don't feel the need to broadcast my life, but then, I'm middle aged image

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    David Falconer 3 wrote (see)
    Run Wales wrote (see)

- that they don't realise how suffocating to never have true freedom.  

Do you go to work each day? Do you go at the same time? Do you catch the same bus/train?

When you find true freedom ...... let me know.

Are you suggesting that, because I can't have complete freedom in everything I do, that I should choose to give up all freedoms?

• I thought you were older than that Wilkie.   

• Run Wales wrote (see)

Maybe the younger generations are so attached to their mobile phones - phones that mean their every move can be tagged by the authorities, should they wish to do so - that they don't realise how suffocating to never have true freedom.  

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ................... this is the funniset post I have ever read.

If you don't want to have your name in the race results then you seem to have two choices. Firstly, don't enter the race. Secondly, enter under another name.

• If having your name published in a results of a race is an issue to you - don't enter the race - simple.

Then you can live your life unwatched from your concrete bunker with your tinfoil hat on.

And don't use social media either ?
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Consider yourself slapped, ex-Spartan!

• We could all enter a race under the wrong name and DF could spend days sorting it all out ? 

• Concrete Bunker Cougie?  That sounds like the office I work in..........image

• Run Wales wrote (see)
    cougie wrote (see)

Run Wales wrote (see)

You have just made my day by suggesting I might be from the younger generation!!! LOL  Unfortunately I'm not and I am not attached to my mobile etc etc, however as has been said before, if you don't want your details up there either don't enter or use an assumed name. 

How do you avoid CCTV then?  Do you walk around in an invisibility cloak, a la Harry Potter? 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ................... this is the funniset post I have ever read.

If you don't want to have your name in the race results then you seem to have two choices. Firstly, don't enter the race. Secondly, enter under another name.

Why shouldn't you be able to enter the race but not have your name and performance be published on a easily accessible websites?  Why should I have to lie about my name to achieve this?  Why not have a simple tick-box that means that my name is listed as A.N.Other or something.

When I play football for a Sunday League team, this isn't recorded.  Same with tennis in my LTA affiliated club.  Or golf if I played it.  So why should it be so different when I run my local 10K on a Sunday morning?

And for anyone saying - don't enter - it's not the bloody Olympics I'm trying to enter.  I just want to run.

And another thing...  as it is mandatory to give your d.o.b. to enter even the smallest of events.... your age is then plastered all over the internet.  Now I'm not bothered... but some people, especially women, find this sensitive - either for personal, or even professional reasons.

It's just all so unnecessary.

• My local paper publishers the scorers in local football matches. I think it even shows results from the local pool and dominio league.

You really are talking a load of pony. I am starting to think you are Danny Dyer, you muppet.

• Run Wales wrote (see)

When I play football for a Sunday League team, this isn't recorded.  Same with tennis in my LTA affiliated club.  Or golf if I played it.  So why should it be so different when I run my local 10K on a Sunday morning?

Actually quite often golf clubs print results of their competitions in the local papers. Also there is a website howdidido.co.uk which the clubs use and once you have signed up to it for free you can view the results of all competitions in all clubs so at least as visible as running.

For anyone bothered about their DOB I do actually agree that this should be an opt out and if you don't complete your DOB you are entered into the sub 40 category. DOB is one of those really stupid standard questions that people put on forms - to be a patient at a dentists for example you need to fill in your date of birth - what relevance does it have how old my teeth are?

Personally I have no issues with information about me of any sort being publicly available - I am what I am but I understand that other people are what they are.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think Run Wales makes some valid points.  I'm personally not that bothered about my race results being publically accessible and I'm certainly not in the tinfoil hat brigade (!) but I think it's reasonable to see this all as part of a creeping increase in the sort of personal information that people can find out about you online, possibly without you being aware it's there.  The date of birth is a good example; again, not something that bothers me so much that I want to get it taken down from my Po10 profile, but never mind sensitivity about my age, does this information make me ever to slightly more susceptible to identity theft perhaps??

The difference between this and something like CCTV is that of all the 1,206 times a day your image is captured, you're never identified (unless you've been up to no good, etc.) and the footage disappears into the ether, whereas this information is out there for anyone who wants to dig, and possibly use it for nefarious purposes.

• I've seen a few race results with "A. N. Other" or "Runner 1234" (their bib number) so I guess you can have your name withheld if you feel so strongly about it. I just don't think there's that many people who do.

• You can parkrun anonymously. If you don't take your barcode with you then you appear in the results as "Unknown".

For races, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to enter anonymously. I'm happy for my results to be plastered over the internet, but if other people don't that's their business. Although it'll be easy to spot the tinfoil hats in the race photos.