So how many hundreds of millions

Who really wins in the end, all credit to those who worked hard and won, or lost(although more credit to those in Afgan or working in an hospital or on the beat or even the lowly underpaid cleaner who just gets on with it)

In the end what is the London sports day legacy, lots of profits for some, a few kids inspired to take up sport(well until the football season starts and all our excellent athletes are forgotten for a sport we are totally shit at) and millions upon millions of taxpayers money diverted from hospitals, schools, libraries, back to work schemes, policing, the armed forces etc etc etc...

And cue the sheep...

Comments

• I dont have an answer but I suppose a legacy doesnt happen, you have to continue working for it

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Baaaah

I loved it image

• I am more worried about the tons of money that gets wasted week in week out all through the year.........

at least we have had 2 great weeks for the money and we all got a chance to share in it...........

• The A4 was fixed in 'record time'.

• F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

Cost was about 150 quid each.

• £150 may have been the cost per tax payer but it is the London Council Tax payers who will foot most of the bill - probably for the rest of our lives... But it was very good! (Apart from the closing ceremony so far - would have prefered Pink Floyd and The Who in person).

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm quite happy for ??150 of my money to be spent on it.

If the games really does inspire our youth think of all the billions we will save on not paying out dole money or on preventable diseases such as diabetes and obesity. If the youth are not inspired by the Olympics then there is something seriously wrong with them and their parents !
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

It was a good 2 weeks and I think that's how it has to be judged - not for any lasting benefit.  I know the politicians and others will prattle on about the legacy but in truth I doubt the Olympics in themselves will change much - maybe encourage a few people to take up sport but it's an expensive way of doing that. 

Whether it was worth it or not - probably not - but it was fun nonetheless. 

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'll let you know when I've worked out how easy it will be to get on the velodrome, when, and how much they're gonna charge.  In the mean time stop being such a miserable git.

• Estimates seem to be that the Olympics cost £11bn. If we didn't bother with the Trident programme (around £25bn), we could have the Olympics for free and £14bn in our pockets (about £230 each)! (My shower door broke the other day so I'll get a new one fitted).

• Wow Andrew, yeah, "Fight The Power"  man - we're all listening to ya.

We should cancel it all and life should then only be a grey existence, albeit with a reasonably funded back-to-work scheme which would be the envy of the civilised world

Baaa

• Ha ha you people-well most of you- really are the shallow, selfish, narrow minded bunch with a lack of foresight and social conscience that I thought.Never mind I am sure something else will come along to keep your attention while the country is raped of soul and spirit by politicians and big business.

Oh look everyone, a squirrell...

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I'd rather have had the £150, thanks image

• Id rather have the Tridents, "Walk softly and carry a big SLBM"

• A happy workforce is a productive workforce comrade.
  • The bread and circuses seems have kept some of the populace amused.

I hope BBC will no longer find it necessary to bang on about how pictures on a television set will 'inspire' children to go out and do sport. They seemed to have overlooked how many of the athletes followed in their parents example of taking part in sport. Instead there is the silly idea that hosting an ioc party will inspire children to participate. There is televion covrage all over BBC for two weeks each year when the tennis industry visits wimbledon. I would suggest that parent's participation in tennis is a better predictor of their chidren's participation than the amount of tennis on tv that the kids watched.

• I think having the Olympics could be better value if we culled a few silly events, dropped the paralypics and scaled down the opening and closing ceremonies. Trouble is that if you bid for the games you buy into all the other bullshit too. It's down to the International organisers to bring it down to a level where billions are not being wasted on things that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • Andrew - please shed light into our dark, closed minds.  For you spaketh the only truth and will no doubt keep posting anyway.

Oh look everyone, it's actually Morrissey (posting under a nom de plume)......

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Andrew. I may be a shallow, selfish, narrow minded bunch with a lack of foresight and social conscience, but at least I'm not a........git!

The Olympics comes with baggage, same as the World Cup and Formula One. I've really enjoyed the summer, and I don't think that the winter ahead will be any less dark than it would have been if we hadn't had the Olympics. ??9bn may sound a lot but when it's spread very thinly it doesn't amount to a much.
  • I got my money's worth when they showed the empty square underneath the Eiffel Tower in 2005. The bonkers opening ceremony and two weeks of high drama, top class sport and lots of fantastic vibes were just a bonus.

£9bn gets wasted most weeks on some nonsense that just annoys me (HS2 to name but three). The Olympics rarely annoyed me (not at all since it opened) and it was at least as efficient at generating jobs as any government run scheme I've ever seen.

• It's not about the money, money, money, forget about the price tag

• Doesn't take mney to change a nation, takes a person and an attitude. See Mandela, Gandhi, JC for example. Live and let live. We can all pillory expenditure in the name of what could have been done different and/or better. Good vfm if the peace wall woprked for a fortnight and we changed the mind of just one individual to get up off their couch and change the world. Many hundreds of years ago a certain cleric suggested if we want to change the world we haave to start with no.1 not gripe about everybody/everything else. The joy of the armchair sniper

• Cost ??11bn? Is that the true cost? Surely they recouped some on ticket sales. I bet a few tourists went on the busses, taxis and trains and hence paid quite a bit in fuel tax, spent some money in hotels, restraunts and bars.

There will be a few people out buying carbon fibre bikes and off down the local pool for a swim.

Then we have some nice facilities like the stadium and the velodrome. Even if the stadium is sold for a minimum value the new owners will still have big maintenance bills.

But no Andrew you're right the owner of the Daily Mail is French for tax purposes. Stop reading his paper and write to him to complain... Please.

• "Our lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies: Give us Bread, but give us Roses"

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Andrew, emigrate, that'll improve the nation.

🙂

• Glad you're enjoying life so much Andrewimage

• Tom. wrote (see)
    Andrew. I may be a shallow, selfish, narrow minded bunch with a lack of foresight and social conscience, but at least I'm not a........miserable twat! 

Tom, I hope you don't mind me correcting your typo above !

kittenkat wrote (see)

I think we could have saved a bit by not wheeling out ancient pop stars. image

I image the Olympics, always have done.

KK, in fact with a bit of blue sky thinking we could have improved the whole experience by taking a number of our 'celebrity' stars and incorporating them in to the 'double trap shooting' event.

• Ref Bruce C's comment above -   may I be amongst the first to say;

"PULL !!"

• Eh lay off the Who, perhaps Spice Girls or Take That thoughimage