Suspended coffee

2»

Comments

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Lets face it, You pay over £2 for a cup of coffee. Whats the actual cost to them? Maybe 20 pence all told? Doubling the amount still means they are quids in.

Remember the expense of staff, the place etc is already there anyway. Apart from a small amount of administration, this adds no extra cost apart from the beans, water and a bit of washing up or the cost of the takeaway cup.

Yes, that's my point too. Depending on the mark up they could be matching the donation but still making additional profit.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Indeed Wilkie, I would like to pay a little less tax if possible. Which hopefully will be the result of getting the likes of Starbucks etc to pay their fair whack. You might get to pay less too, unless you're rich enough to decide where and how much (or little, rather) your bill should be.

Costas manage perfectly well while doing the honest thing.

(But I'd prefer a nice cuppa tea thank you)

• Jen HartJen Hart ✭✭✭

Juliefrazz mentioned the Big Issue seller earlier, I'd rather buy one of the mags than hand over an extra couple of quid to Starbucks. I appreciate the rationale of the scheme and would likely support it in say an independent - or much smaller chain, but this just seems like yet another attempt by Starbucks to engender some sort of corporate responsibility.

and as for charging the NY fire fighters $130 for three cases of water on the day of 9/11...

• Intermanaut wrote (see)

XFR Bear - do you have an ISA or NS&I bond?  If so, welcome to the Tax Avoiders' Club.  If not, get one.

I really don't think you're comparing like with like.  As I recall ISAs were created to motivate people to save - in other words the Chancellor wanted people to put money into them.  You can't say that  for what Starbucks has done.

• XFR Bear wrote (see)
    Intermanaut wrote (see)

XFR Bear - do you have an ISA or NS&I bond?  If so, welcome to the Tax Avoiders' Club.  If not, get one.

I really don't think you're comparing like with like.  As I recall ISAs were created to motivate people to save - in other words the Chancellor wanted people to put money into them.  You can't say that  for what Starbucks has done.

Well, it's certainly saved a lot of money! And indirectly contributed to a situation in which the poorest people in this country are having their income and services cut to the bone.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Then there's the contribution the government make to your pension scheme (you don't pay tax and NI on your contributions), the tax and NI-free loan you can get to buy a bike, the tax and NI-free childcare vouchers you can have...

• actually wilkie, only salary sacrifice pension schemes are tax and NIC free, otherwise only pre-tax (usually final salary schemes) offer a reduction in the amount of tax deducted each month

• We should always cut big companies slack because everything they do is within the law. Just like shagging your wife's sister, it's not illegal, but it's immoral.

I bet the people who condone multi-nationals who deploy aggressive tax-avoidance schemes are the same people as the ones who think all benefits claimants are scroungers.
  • im 'inclined' to agree Wilkie but unfortunately people like myself who would dearly love to avoid paying tax can't a. i can't afford to pay a team of lawyers and b. the government would chase me for it because i don't employ as many people.

for the record I would make corporation tax 0% in any case, so it's academic.

and JB no i don't think all benefit claimants are scroungers. only scroungers are scroungers.

• So if i walk into Starbuck and ask for a suspended coffee, will they ask me to prove i'm homeless or not give me the coffee???, sounds like it will end in free coffees for un-scrupolous people to me

• AgentGinger wrote (see)

I feel the same way about "active kids vouchers" and all that other bullshit that supermarkets do. They offer all their customers vouchers, which they can give to schools to use for PE equipment, etc. Sounds good enough, but many customers don't have kids, or can't be bothered. If Sainsbury's were really interested in social corporate responsibility they would simply donate the money to the schools directly, rather than implement a self-aggrandising, indirect campaign. Who do they think they're fooling? All of their customers, obviously.

The next time i drop a few pence into some hobo's cup, I'll do a little jig, and make a big song and dance about it, get my picture taken, and a tshirt printed up.

The charity I work for has benefited to the tune of millions from one of the big supermarkets, amazing support that has really helped a lot of people.  I don't care if its cynical or if they get tax relief or what, their money has made a big difference.

• I think donating to a food bank is a better use of resources to be honest.