The United States of America.

2»

Comments

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Does the third world have laundry ? 

Yes but it beats it against rocks with other rocks. The first world uses a washing machine.. Perhaps I am wrong, perhaps that really is the difference image

I knew about Belarus from a different conversation on another thread. Don't say you never learn anything on RW image

• http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/may/28/worlds-happiest-countries-oecd-australia

5 out of the top 11 countries are English speaking. I think we should be proud of that.

• Not all of the USA has capital punishment, it is decided on a state by state basis.

In some parts of the USA owning a gun is essential - my friend's dad has used it often to shoot dangerous intruders on his property - mocassins, rattlers and gators...

• America has a lot of money problems too. I find it very surprising that there's been not one word in the news about the "sequestration" measure going into force next Monday. What it means is that every single US civilian Department of Defense employee, whatever their grade and pay level will be forced to take off one day without pay every week from now until the end of September to help reduce the deficit.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Mocassins? The Red Indian shoes? Dangerous intruders indeed.

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Water mocassins? They're shoes!! Sorry, couldn't resist image

• A poor black boy raised by a single mother grew up to become elected President. Where else can someone so disadvantaged get this kind of opportunity?

• Hitler and Stalin, although not black had similar rises to power

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

The USA oprates on a system of get ahead or be trodden on. Seems to have worked pretty well for them on the whole. It's pretty much the system the world has used for 4.5 billion years until recently. How would evolution have happened if you didn't need to get to the highest branch or the next island to survive? We would all still be piles of green slime.

I'd argue that it hasn't worked for much of the world; and also that we have now developed our intellect to the point that we can overcome basic programming (if indeed that's what it is - it's a debatable point) and cooperate to gain our ends. It often works better than naked competition.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Rickster wrote (see)

America still seems to have a real race problem, with blacks, gays and non-Christian religions treated as 2nd class citizens in the deep south.First world nation? I don't think so.

I'm sorry but you don't half talk some shite, Amnesty international always pick on the USA and UK about civil rights, which when you look at the context of China etc, is abject stupidity. They do it to push rights further in the hope of dragging the rest along sometime in the future. This type of rhetoric finds a spot with people who cannot think for themselves and hey presto it becomes true. Go and try to get your rights in an Asian or African country, gay rights, religious rights, otr race rights, and Alabama will seem like paradise.

I'm give regular money to Amnesty and get the organisation's magazine. It's certainly not the case that Amnesty singles the US and the UK out on civil rights - it runs campaigns about prisoners of conscience all over the world. I'd try researching this before commenting on it.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

You could say that if it wasn't for America we might be alll goose stepping to work and saying seig heil and people with big dopey heads might have been sent to special camps for people with big dopey heads. 

History is complicated. You could say that. You could say if it wasn't for Russia the Nazis would never have been beaten; but then, of course, they had a pact with Nazi Germany from 1939-1941. In Britain we tried our damnedest not to stand up to Hitler until it became unfeasible not to any more. It took the US another two years and being attacked by Japan to come into the war, and even then a large part of public opinion there didn't want to get involved in the European or African theatres. Much much more complex than most of us like to imagine.

• Runny Egg wrote (see)

A poor black boy raised by a single mother grew up to become elected President. Where else can someone so disadvantaged get this kind of opportunity?

It's true up to a point, but without many many millions of dollars and the backing of one of the two huge parties in the US, he'd never have made it. That's probably why his administration hasn't exactly lived up to the hype.

• Thanks Peter for pointing out how complicated history is and how no-one else can imagine how complex it can be. Thanks for pointing out that Russians were involved in the war too. 

• By the same token it can be remarkably simple. As Hugo Horton once pointed out in the Vicar of Dibley: if Frau Hitler hadn't been in the mood that night things could have been very different indeed image

• Obviously I had said that the USA had won the war single handedly and no one else was involved. I think of Peter as one of the good guys on here but some times he can be an arrogant.......I'll stop thereimage