Then and now.

I've just watched a short film on Youtube about the levels of poverty that people lived in on the St Ann's estate in Nottingham in 1969. It shows grinding poverty, way beyond what we see nowadays.

One thing struck me though. All of the people sat in a pub, despite being from poor working class backgrounds, still had the self respect to wear a shirt and tie to go to the local, and they all seemed to be happy singing along to the piano. There also looked to be a very strong sense of community.

Nowadays, St Ann's is still a deprived area, but some of the locals seem to have no self respect, let alone any respect for others. They commit crimes, take drugs and drink excessively and seem to think that the world revolves around them, even though the housing they have there is no where near as bad as the slums that people lived in back in the 1960s when this film was made.

Have a look at this short film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckyonywcwao

Comments

• You treat people like shit for long enough, and guess what they start to behave that way, are you surprised? we spend millions each year on overseas development while our own people fester knee dip in this shite.

When all the world has developed to our level and beyond, how much do we think China will support the rest of the world

• EKGO wrote (see)

You treat people like shit for long enough, and guess what they start to behave that way, are you surprised? we spend millions each year on overseas development while our own people fester knee dip in this shite.

When all the world has developed to our level and beyond, how much do we think China will support the rest of the world

My point is that people had much less back then, but they still seemed to have self respect, no matter how poor they were. Did you even look at the film before commenting EGKO?

• I can understan how people in a temporary position could retain dignity, back then it could be seen as a temporary problem with a cure around the corner, that hope has gone now.

No I didn't watch it depresses me, I'm from St Helens and have lived it all my life

• Rickster, people that can go to a pub is NOT poverty in any way, shape or form.

• In those days people didn't have much but then again neither did anybody else. One thing they did have was jobs and the expectation that you left school and got a job was much higher. Loitering around street corners was not an option. Thousands worked at places like Players or Raleigh but now those jobs are long gone.
  • It was a low-skill, low-pay, mass-jobs economy. Nowadays that's gone overseas.

Which has its good side and its bad side. I saw someone on another thread wishing we could bring back coal-mining. The most un-green, insecure, lung-ruining ear-ruining and finger-ruining occupation, but people feel a kind of affection for the olden days. Nowadays we have a fantastic amount of wealth: people genuinely feel an expectation of getting medical care, a new hip if they need one, their baby delivered by real medical professionals; they feel a genuine expectation of being able to retire for ten or fifteen years. A house with indoor toilet and hot and cold running water. These are expectations shared by very few people anywhere in the world, or at any time in history ever. Those miners didn't have any of those things. But at least, as NLR says, they knew where they stood.

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    In those days people didn't have much but then again neither did anybody else. One thing they did have was jobs and the expectation that you left school and got a job was much higher. Loitering around street corners was not an option. Thousands worked at places like Players or Raleigh but now those jobs are long gone.

There are more people in the country now than then and I think statistically more peole work now than ever before.  OK jobs like Raleigh and Players have gone, thousands just sit in front of computers for work every day instead.  People also expected to be working for the rest of their lives not to become either rich or famous quickly.

The number of people that move away from home has also increased rapidly. 

There are numerous interlinking reasons why and how it has happened but people just had more respect and community years ago.

• JF50 wrote (see)
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    In those days people didn't have much but then again neither did anybody else. One thing they did have was jobs and the expectation that you left school and got a job was much higher. Loitering around street corners was not an option. Thousands worked at places like Players or Raleigh but now those jobs are long gone.

There are more people in the country now than then and I think statistically more peole work now than ever before.  OK jobs like Raleigh and Players have gone, thousands just sit in front of computers for work every day instead.  People also expected to be working for the rest of their lives not to become either rich or famous quickly.

The number of people that move away from home has also increased rapidly. 

There are numerous interlinking reasons why and how it has happened but people just had more respect and community years ago.

Raleigh are still in business, but they have moved to Eastwood, on the edge of Nottingham. Players is now owned by Imperial Tobacco, who have a factory in Beeston, Nottingham.

• I guess though Rickster they employ hundreds and not thousands, work has changed so yesterday's shop floor is probably today's open plan office

• Blame it on the internet!!

always the internet image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

As a kid in the sixties the adults were still living in the shadow of a world war.

It gave them a different perspective on life. 

🙂