Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Afternoon all. Well I'm back and a little more tanned from my holiday. I got back on Saturday afternoon and was straight back into the swing of things on Sunday with my final long run, 20 miles at an average pace of 7:04.

I managed to keep to my word and got 3 runs in whilst away, as well as swimming twice everyday and I even managed 2 spinning sessions!! All in aid of the Abo target of 3:04!! Race pack was waiting for me when I got home, #75. Definitely makes it more real now, and with just 3 weeks to go, it won't be long before it's here!!

Hope everyones running/training has been going ok so far.

• Options

Jamie - well done on getting the runs in, and bonus points for adding some cross training! 7:04 sounds like a good run: you must have only been two or three seconds off of MP.

Blisters: can't believe you got your last long run in, then injured yourself walking into a door.  Maybe you should order one of those inflatable sumo suits and wear it for the next three weeks to keep you safe. image

Rosie - the way I see it is: if it's a good long run then great, and if it's a bad one, then better get it out the way in training than on race day.  Win win!

MG - hope the hip gets better in time (actually it sounds like it will, so I hope that it gets better in time AND doesn't end up being hurt badly by Abingdon).

Can't believe it's still 20 days.  Just want it to be marathon day now!

• Options

Zirion: I can't believe it's still 20 days either. Last night I finished the first week of my three week taper. Realised late last night that I must have started my 12wk P&D schedule a week early; thought I only had two weeks left.....doh!

• Options

Talking of P&D I'd better takke a peak at what I'm supposed to be doing tomorrow.

• Options

Lol Mr Boat. Shame you noticed so early. Repeating week 1 of the taper is less fun than repeating weeks 2 or 3. image

• Options

Cheers Zirion. MP for sub-3:05 target is 7:03, so yeah pretty close!

• Options

Despite the bashed knee yesterday I got the opportunity for a long run this afternoon. To be honest, my heart wasn't in it. Probably something to do with a glass too many last night. (I wasn't supposed to be at work today anyway). One reason for the afternoon slot. The programme in the head, along with the RW Forum Motivation Directors (you lot), dictated that I should be doing a long one this weekend. OK. Off we go, and pretend that we're going to do 16 miles. I know I need to do more.
    I divide it into thirds, which equate to quarters on race day. K.I.S.S.
    To begin with I was just out for a gentle run. That pretty much defines the first third. The pace was happy enough, possibly too happy for a long one. The Second Third (eh?) was where the mind went wandering. However, I did note that my key landmarks were hit on the money, if not they were early. I just kept wishing that the run was over. The final third is predominantly uphill. This goes one of two ways. Tits up or balls out. I've now got a mental game with the first (grind) hill. Do it Kenyan style, just count the lamp posts. 13, 14, or 15 depending on where you start. OK The top is pretty much peak HR for the run, but hey, it's the top. Yup, right until the next top. Or the final top. So, the head is finally in the game in the final part, and I realise that a season best for this run is a given. 21.7 in 2:55, ave 8:06m/m, and ave HR 132.
    Blisters is Back

Followed by 10 minutes in a cold bath, and some serious food. The knee's OK, btw.

• Options
    Blisters, like me you're doing your long runs hilly. When you hit the flat it seems like a breeze. Chalk it off and enjoy the madness that is taper!
  • Options

Nicely done Blister - you can relax now!

Mr Boat - doh!

Jamie - it's been said before, but I'll say it again anyway - 3:04 is FAR, FAR too soft a target if your 20M training runs are coming out in 7:04 pace!  There's a certain forumite on here doing those sort of times over that sort of distance (albeit controlled and deliberate) and he's looking at sub 2:40!!!!

Martin - I hope you are right about those hilly runs!

• Options

coming from North Wales where it's impossible to run more than two miles without hitting a "hill" I can assure you abo is flat lol. There is a slight rise and I mean slight on part of the two laps but tbh you're glad of a bit of change of profile. Please don't worry about underpasses gradients crossings. The course is fantastic, flat, safe, And a definite pb course. Coming into the last mile heading back into the track there is a slight gradient but that's the last mile, and the last mile is a gimme isn't it image  Heading on the path out of the stadium is a bit cruel but you're so close then it doesn't really matter. 

I didn't run at all yesterday after my 19. I woke up hobbling my hip which has been giving me a bit of trouble was agony. It's eased a lot today and I have two Physio sessions booked for Tuesday and Thursday so it's not worrying me at all. I might try and do five really easy I'll see how it feels. 

Keir its horrible racing/training into the wind isn't it so demoralising. Well done on the seventh place. With any luck there will be little wind on the big day and it makes it feel so much easier. 

I need to lose weight, I'm ten pounds heavier than pre London this year. It doesn't seem to be effecting my times but I'd like to drop a bit. Problem is there's all these nights out lol

• Options

Welcome back Jamie, sound's like you're in a similar boat to me. I'd set myself a target of 3:00 - 3:15 but after mentioning my times for my long runs I've been advised by the good people on here to aim for sub 3. I reckon just go for it, wha'ts the worst that could happen, has to be worth a punt?!

Blisters, Sound's like you had a good one. I love those runs that come out of no where and give you 'a high' for the rest of the day. Good news on the knee too.

A cross country tempo to work for me today and then a 'mini taper' before my HM on the weekend. I must admit I'm not really enjoying the idea of the 3 week taper, as much as I know I need to do it, it just feels like fitness is going to be lost.

• Options

Cheers Leebe. It's good to know that I'm not the only one being told to reasses my target time. As this will be my first marathon and I don't want to be disappointed if it all falls apart on race day, my A target is still sub-3:05 as I am 99.9% sure I can achieve that now after how my training has gone. My B target is sub-3, which for my first marathon would be amazing. Good luck with the sub-3 Leebe, as you say, definitely worth a punt!

Good to hear the knee is on the mend Blisters.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Jamie - it sounds to me as well that sub 3 ought to be not just doable, but very doable indeed.  It would be a shame not to go for it.  Aren't B targets supposed to be slower than A targets anyway?

• Options

Been to the Physio and it's just a bit of tightness in my gluteus minimus (upper arse cheek to the layman) feels a lot better today anyway and I had another session booked for Thursday so I'll do 10 @ MP tomorrow and see where we're at. I'm sure its nothing to worry about. Had a couple of easy days after the long one. Five easy yesterday and seven easy today. Started to worry about my weight and the fact I've done no core work whatsoever for months let the madness begin lol

• Options

MG15 it sounds like you are getting your pain in the are sorted. So now time to start worrying about other things.

Actually isnt about now that someone does a weather forecast and predicts gale force winds one day then a heatwave the next?

I managed 10 miles with 5 slightly quicker than (possible) marathon pace. I am still uncertain what shape I am in after not running for first 5 months of year. Last month I managed 200 miles but July and august consisted of just over 100 each... I did manage 500 on the bike though. Well I guess I will find out in less than 3 weeks.

• Options

Just back from a 5k race (perfect marathon warmup....).  Slightly disappointed with a 19m15s finish time, although it was relatively hilly (74m of ascent according to Strava) and the downhill was so steep that it was harder to run on than the flat.  Oh, and it was pitch black which didn't help.  

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Pitch black?? What sort of race is that Z!

MG - sounds, well, a bit of a pain in the arse....

TickTock - sounds a good 10, and hopefully the bike miles will have done the job, especially topped off with a good September.

My planned 16 this morning in the rain turned out to be 15.3 in the dry image. The rain, which was pelting down as I got ready, stopped as I opened the door, and started just after I went into Wetherspoons for my pre-work fried brekkie!

Average pace was 7:04, with a 4.5 block of the last 5.3 in sub MP target pace. Pleased with the overall pace, as 5M of that was up the never ending incline of the Chiltern scarp. Not ideal pre-work, but needs must and its out the way now! Probably nothing much over 10 now until Abo.

• Options

Chingford League - a local North East Londonish series. It was at 8pm on a tarmac cycle track out in the country with no lighting.  Except for the occasional marshal who would shine their torch direct in your eye so that they could see your face (and get rid of what little night vision you'd picked up).  Once the race had thinned out a bit it wasn't too bad, but at the start it was fairly hairy, particularly on the first steep downhill into a turn image.  The strangest bit was finishing and not having a clue how far down the field you were or where your team mates had finished.  I literally could only see people who were within a couple of metres.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Sounds fun, in a weird, masochistic and slightly dangerous kind of way!

• Options

Sounds different zirion!

i did 10 miles @ MP today, on the dreaded treadmill. Was way too windy to hit any kind of pace so went for the inside option. I always find it way tougher on the treadmill, I did 16 k, got to about 13 k then did 1 k at 8:00 as I was pretty goosed but managed to do the last pace a bit faster than MP. Final average pace was 'MP + 4 secs so happy with that. Back on the treadmill again tomorrow for my first interval in weeks I've really let those drop since before holiday image

• Options

The Bus - I hope so too but perhaps I should park my bike at 20 miles just in case I need it to finish. Well done on your expertly timed run.

Zirion . Sounds an interesting race, I usually find it feels like you are running faster than you are when it is dark. I wouldn't worry about the pace.

MG15 - well done for toughing it out on the treadmill, never that enjoyable but good for mental resilience.

I did a nice gentle 5 miles at recovery pace today. Probably do sometime more energetic tomorrow.

• Options

I dont think Ill be able to run because of an ankle problem. Would anyone like my number for £20?

Rich O

• Options

Bad session for me today, it was my first interval for about six weeks so was always going to be dodgy. Planned 7 x 3.5 mins @ 5k pace with 100 secs walk recs then 30 mins @ MP. Only managed the intervals in the end even falling short on the last one. Tried to run on at MP but felt sick so gave up lol. 

This always seems to happen on the first one back so not Overly worried, I'll have another bash next week. Doing it the day after 10 @ MP probably didn't help either but why ho. 

Had a Physio session just before and Jesus if anyone ever mentions trigger points and glutes in the same sentence run a mile, the ladies go on about childbirth being painful, this must give them a run for their money. Worth the pain tho, my hip seems 100% now. Easy double tomorrow 7/4 but I'm toying with the idea of doing the 7 @ MP to compensate for missing the second part of today's session. 

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I knwo exactly what you mean about trigger points Martin image My physion has very strong and pointy elbows!

Doh - trouble doing intervals the day after 10 @ MP - who'd have thought image

Don't do the 7 at MP - that will just be asking for trouble and could set the hip off again!

• Options

Yes you're right of course no more gains to be had from here on in, it was more to do with the psychological side of things tbh. Nice easy day before a 15 on Saturday. 

• Options

Agree with Bus - the 7 at MP isn't going to make you run the marathon faster, but it could very well make you run it slower!

Although, I'm being slightly hypocritical there. I went out for a lunchtime run and was a little naughty - needed to blow off some stress, so cranked it up and ran a 9 mile MP-18s effort... including a slow first and last mile. Kept trying to slow it down, but without other people there to judge by, I kept subconsciously ratcheting it back up. Eventually just gave in and enjoyed it image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Fair enough Zirion - difficult not to... That is quick though! MG's on the other hand would have been 3 hard sessions on consecutive days during a taper, so a good choice to take an easy day image

Taper madness is hard to deal with though - this is just the beginning image

• Options

Sound's like you lot have been working a lot harder than me this week. I've had an abysmal week with only 9 miles banked (4 tempo and 5 at MP-10).

I keep telling myself that it's a 'mini-taper' prior to my HM on Sunday, but the truth is I'm bouncing off the walls!

is this what 'Taper madness' feels like?

• Options
    Hi all. Recently, I have also been exchanging ???running miles??? for ???running words??? resulting in a novel to help raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support ??? the main motivation for both the running and writing. Should any fellow runner wish to read an inspirational marathon story, plus raise money for cancer care, then please check out ???Breaking The Wall??? on Amazon Kindle. Thank you for your support... and all the best with the marathon!
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Hi Stewy - Will take a look....

Lee - yep! Best of luck with the half - should be a good outlet for all the pent up energy! Personally I'm in the "felling knackered for no reason" bit of taper madness!