Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• 18 minute journey from Gaasperplas to Amstelveenseweg ( one stop before Zuid and a bit closer to the start ).  Metros run every 8 minutes on a Sunday morning.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Cloggs, I owe you a beer or a room should you ever come over to run London.

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

• Back to the shoes chat .. Wenty et al: do you find different shoes make much of a difference in terms of time? I've been training in two different pairs, Mizuno and Brooks - I seem to run faster in the less well fitting pair, although trying to decipher my training log to find out if it's true is very difficult: so many variables ... the 'slower' pair is the safe/never let me down/physio recommended option. Hmm,

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Considering how far you plan to run in them I would go for comfort.

• I have trained and ran in Asics cumulus 14s but have upgraded to the lighter nimbus 14s, I train in both but do less in the nimbus as I save them for race days. I would not race in a new shoe for a marathon without having tried it out in a 10k/HM previously though. I cannot believe people who would try out something new for marathon race day.

i-Plodder: going back to your question I find the nimbus's are faster both psychologically and physically in terms of less race time. Well they are lighter so not surprising really.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I-plodder - Shoes do make a difference. I find my sauconys are better for racing but my brooks are better for training. It's strange and probably all mental but it works for me.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

without sounding a bore, here's some tips:

1. don't use cabs. they cost a fortune in Amsterdam and the public transport network is perfectly good and cheap with your travel pass

2. Don't go to the expo straight from airport on arrival at the airport. go to your hotel, check in and then preactise the journey from your hotel to the expo so you know the journey on race day!

3. if you're running the marathon, aim to get to the start line early. The tube on race morning get busy incredibly early and it can be difficult to get on the tube at times - you end up waiting for one that you can cram into, especially as you have to change lines if travelling from central Amsterdam

• Thanks for the views on shoes. I think I'll stick with the comfortable Brooks. I found an article stating that an ounce in shoe weight means 2 seconds off your pace. So my dilemma is worth 26 seconds as the difference is half an ounce - not worth getting too worked up about!

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Thanks Johnas, good tips.... Looking forward to it now that I'm all booked up.

Next one to arrange is Barca for the Spring next year.

• Thanks for the tips also . I am a short walk from Haarlemmermeerstation would you know where that is in relation to the start?  Thanks

• Haarlemmermeerstation is about mile north of the Olympic Stadium.  The marathon course is an initial 5 mile loop back to the stadium and then out for the other 21, so we'll pass by Haarlemmermeerstation roundabout twice.

• Hello all,

Starting to really look forward to the 20th!! Training gone well (so far!!!) and hoping to get close to a PB.

Has anybody received their registration number & race information through the post yet, I think it should be due before 13th October but I start to get impatient/paranoid about things like this when race day approaches!!

Cloggs - Sorry to trouble you but you are obviously well informed on Amsterdam public transport...! I am staying at the Inntel hotel in Zaandam am I right in saying that I only need to travel 1 stop on the train to Sloterdijk before catching the Metro to Amstelveenseweg to get to the start? Many thanks in advance and good luck everybody!!! Not long now!

• gravesylad - Yes, 1 stop from Zaandam to Amsterdam Sloterdijk and then switch to metro line 50 direct to Amstelveenseweg.  Simples.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Slinckx - head over to the Barca thread... we're just getting ourselves started there.

Gravesylad - Cloggs has all the details you need. There''s a really good metro map.

Johnas - A great idea and suggestions. I thoroughly recommend going from your hotel to the expo first. Not just to retrace the route but trying to get around the hall with hundereds of people AND luggage is more stress than you need pre-marathon day!

• Cheers Cloggs, as I thought but just felt I needed confirmation from a "man in the know"!

• Confirmation arrived through the post this morning.  You'd think they would just email it out.

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Cheers Emmy... Heading over image

• Received my confirmation - race number 2500 in the pink start zone. Can really feel the excitement starting to build. Now I just need to locate that passport.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Got mine yesterday. I am not sure why it wasn't emailed really, although you do need the peice of paper to get your number so maybe thats the reason. Bib 405 for me.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm not sure why they mail it either - but i've got it as well. I know that they do use the piece of paper for other checks

• I plodder - I race in addidas adizero adios (feather light) and train in brooks GTS which are like lead weights. I would guess the difference is approx 15 minutes for marathon time,but the weight difference is almost twice as heavy, and alot of it is in the head, as i know im am going to run fast in my adios shoes! But they have little cushioning and not much heal drop, so use them for races. I doubt i will use them for Amsterdam as i will not be racing it. So will use the heavy brooks.

got my confirmation as well.

Do people think there will be a problem getting my race number on sunday morning as i dont arrive until 6pm saturday. (Will there be enough time and getting t shirt and dropping bag off etc)

• Goalpost - Im in the pink zone - see you there!!!

Slinkz - Im signed up for barcelona - I'm on the other thread that Emmy started

• also in the pink!

Wenty, I think for the next one I'm going to investigate lighter shoes to race in. I wear orthotics so I'm not sure where to begin. Perhaps with the podiatrist.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - I don't think it'll be too much of an issue for you to pick up on Sunday. I went into the expo last year on sunday morning and it was really calm and empty. There was a bit of a faff with the bags (my responsibility) but it was all very easy. The guys really have this organised well.

I'm not sure which zone í'm in yet.. it all depends if they answer my email or notimage

I met someone on my flight to Berlin last weekend who works for TCS (tata consulting) and they're also running Amsterdam. The amount of support the TCS runners are getting is unbelievable.... I did try to persuade him that he should let me access the VIP area as well but he wasnt convinced :P

• cheers Emmy. - I see you have a Berlin medal!! I love the Berlin Marathon, i did it last year and have entered the ballot for next year as well. the whole city really gets into Marathon spirit and loved the beer at the end (alcohol free)

I will try and get it on saturday still as it will be less stressful but worse case sunday sounds like it should be ok!

Just booked my hotel for London marathon 2014 as well! Bloody expensive running all these marathons - I dread to think how much it costs you !

• I plodder - the general rule seems to be if you are running sub 3:30 (or around that time) then you would be better off with lighter less cushion and support shoes, if not then you might loose time as your legs will get tired and less support means running style will suffer. (Only what i keep reading and what people tell me)

If i feel good on my last longish run this weekend then i might go for the racing shoes... hmmmmm

as a quick note as i am training now for sub 3 i have bought some mizuno wave riders which are pretty light and well cushioned and a nice alternative to heavy brooks GTS (for training at a faster pace), but not as hard to recover from than my addidas with little heal drop.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty - Yep - I have it! Had a sub 4 run (my first) last weekend so theré is talk of me doing similar in Amsterdam.

I do everything on the cheap (hostels/group apartments) and stay with friends wherever possible. Most weekends in the UK - are close enough for me to stay with my parents so it's all about forward planning for cheap deals. For VLM last year I stayed on my cousin's boat! VLM was a huge cost for me but it was my first and I wanted to enjoy it.

I know a friend coming to Amsterdam this year for less than 60quid for the entire weekend. Coach over friday night, hostel saturday, coach home sunday. That includes food!

• congratulations Emmy! good result - go for qualification for VLM next....

that is cheap going! I go with the family so costs me on average £800 for flights and accomdation each overseas marathon i do, and VLM hotel £200. but as its a holiday as well then its not too bad.

Damn I want to do Berlin again now!!!!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Has anybody been given the wrong pen allocation and if so, do you happen to have a direct contact to deal with? Or even a direct contact generally?

I got my letter through yesterday to see that I've been put in the wrong colour pen. I've sent an email to the general info address, but appreciate it might take them a while to get around to replying and I'd rather not have to waste time and energy at the expo to get their mistake corrected..........

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TippTop - Send an email to: info@tcsamsterdammarathon.nl and they'll get back to you. It's what i've done.

Wenty -Thank you! It wasnt really expected! I just wanted to see how I got on and after being pushed over at 2km - ran on anger the rest of the way!

800EUR? That's almost my entire years budget for running!