Options

Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• Options

We got an email - although I was feeling paranoid a couple of weeks ago and asked them to email me again to confirm my entry. They obliged.

• Options

Paul interesting training you do but as other say what works for you is the most important but if you want to improve times sometimes its good to experiment with different training ideas , I only run 3 times a week but also cycle which I am sure helps .I am also a great believer in gels  

For me the key to a good marathon is even pacing , the amount of people who go out to fast then slow towards the end is amazing .

for people who have ran Amsterdam before , what's the start like is it easy to get in to pace quickly? 

• Options

Watch out at the for the T-shirt pick-up - you get them at the expo rather than after the race. Inside your race number envelope there's a bit of paper. You take that into the main expo area and hunt for the area where they're giving out the T-shirts and hand over the bit of paper.

• Options

Dean last time I did it I started towards the back of the third pen (3:30-3:45 finish time) about half way around the running track.  Took about 5 minutes to cross the start line but seemed like we were straight into 5 minute KMs / 8 minute miles without too much bother, so I'd say it's a quick start!  I've not tried the Sayonaras out any further than the HM the other week. I've got a 10K on Sunday that I'll wear them for, hoping to get about 12-15 miles in including warm up and warm down.  Will report back on how they feel!  Either way, they're great for speed sessions.

Paul I would take the confirmation email and your passport to the expo.  I've not done a stack of different marathons but would definitely recommend ticking New York off your hit list.

I quite like the long runs! And yes I physically enjoy running too. 

I don't remember any gels along the route either but I think there were food stations with bananas and raisins!  I just stuff my pockets with a few gels that I'm used to.  The AA drink that they give out made my OH projectile vomit at the end image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dean N wrote (see)

for people who have ran Amsterdam before , what's the start like is it easy to get in to pace quickly? 

Yep - relatively easy. The first 2km are along wide streets so people can weave in and out pretty easily. I found the race spread out very quickly at the 4.30/5hr mark.

• Options

Dean - really a case of trying to fit in what the misses will allow me to fit in, and the fact i seem injury prone to high mileage - as my physio said some people just aren't built for it and im one of them (I'm quite a large build as well), so i try and get the most of of what i can!

good to hear pace and crowds wont be a problem. My main concern at present is will i have time before the race to get my number and T shirt etc before the race. Not too keen about leaving my passport in the bag drop area as well!

do people think there is enough time before the race starts to get number t shirt and bag drop etc?

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Paul - It all depends on what time you're planning to get to the area. Don't forget loo stops etc.

You'll need to check the expo opening times and if you can pick up numbers on race number. I presume it's ok - but am not sure. 

@Carrot - I'm not a fan of the AA drink either. They give it out at Belgian races and I normally just give it to someone in the baggage area.

• Options

Carrot - I like the idea of bananas on route. I will try this in a training run to see if I can eat one on the run. I presume the AA Drink is similar to Lucozade but with a slightly different taste and not associated with Alcoholics Anonymous.

Dean - I cycle to work although I have had an increase in the mileage from 20 to 67 per week due to office move. I have maintained 3 to 4 runs on top of this. Last week was the best week by a long way training wise so I am hoping this approach is beginning to pay off. I completely agree that training is all about experimenting, I certainly would not want to be experimenting with a faster pace in a race if not practised in training. I see races as executing the training for enjoyment and taking us to a new level.

• Options

Regarding the bananas, this seems to be popular in most european marathons, where they are normally peeled (obviously otherwise everyone would be slipping over) and cut into sections. I presume amsterdam is the same.

Goalpost - I always have a much faster race pace then i train at. marathon pace on race day is just over 7 min miles, but that would kill me in training - probably why i always dread the race as i know how much they hurt! - Impressive cross training you have with the cycling - 67miles per week. What do you think that translates to in running? 20- 30 miles a week running!

• Options

Just found my confirmation of entry in my spam email and it states the following if it helps people

Information
    October 13th at the latest you will receive your Registration Number and Race Information by post at your home address. You also receive this information at the following e-mail address: [your email address]

Pick up BiB
    With your Registration Number you can pick up your BiB and other items for participation in Sporthallen Zuid on Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Sunday 20th October. Click here for more information about Sporthallen Zuid.

• Options

I would have drawn a few strange looks had I tried peeling a banana while on the run! Not always an easy thing to start off at the best of times.

Paul - I see it as entirely separate cardiovascular workout but running 35/40 mile weeks at present that would by your reckoning put me into 60 mile weeks which I have never even considered achieving the feat. The training was tough for the first few weeks but the body appears to have adjusted for the extra physical work it is now required to do. I ditched the garmin for the bike as I did not want to start thinking about speed and focus on getting back in one piece for running. I also do not have the power in the legs that the better cyclists have though which shows up with poor acceleration after traffic lights.

Very interesting to read different approaches to training as it certainly opens up ideas and increases variability which is a good thing.

• Options

Yes, I am always keen to hear of different training approaches, especially if different to the norm. If i had the time i would like to cross train on a bike, not sure the misses would be too happy though, and i can't cycle to work as I work 50 miles from home!!!

• Options

paul  I got a turbo trainer which occasionaly i put in the back garden , pedal away with the kitchen doors open , can chat to my family while I am exercising,

like yourself I very seldom train at race pace , I used to do interval training but seemed to get injured all the time .

I think the major benefits from cross training is cardiovascular , the muscles used for cycling and running are quite different 

Emmy   Thanks for the reply re he start,

• Options

Sorry edited to remove post in wrong thread!

• Options

Abingdon / Amsterdam! I can see the confusion image

Tempted with the spare place though

• Options

Was just having a bit of a deranged moment! But you are very welcome to have my number for Abingdon!

• Options

oh - just checked - same day as Amsterdam!!!!

thanks for the offer though. I have deranged momenst all the time - thats what keeps me running!!!!

• Options

Just did 20 miles in sunny Manchester.  Totally knackered. 3 more 20 milers to do then taper time!!

• Options
    Wow. Well done sweaty! Putting me to shame as I only managed 6 miles last week ! Could be a painful marathon this one for me due to my lack of training!

I hope my training for Rome and Brighton last spring will carry me through.
  • Options

Hello all,

Looking forward to Amsterdam next month, training going well (touches wood). Just thought I would look onto this forum and ask somebody who has done this race before whether or not the water given at the drinks stations are in plastic cups or in bottles? This might sound a bit trivial to some, however I find it much easier to drink from bottles than from cups. The reason I ask is because I've heard that cups have been used in the past. Would like to think that bottles would be supplied in a big city marathon such as Amsterdam.

On a seperate note, is anybody aware if the AA iso lemon drink is available to buy anywhere in the UK so I can experiment with it on a long run?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everybody!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Graves - from my memory -it's paper cups.

gravesylad wrote (see)

Would like to think that bottles would be supplied in a big city marathon such as Amsterdam.

Apart from london - most of the major city marathons i've done in Europe only give out plastic cups.

I've never see AA iso lemon being sold anywhere in the UK. looking at their website it seems to suggest that it's only available in Belgium or the Netherlands. Perhaps email them and ask: http://www.aa-drink.com/about-us 

• Options

3rd 20 miler completed this weekend. 6 at MGP but do have to stop for a breather afterwards like with the 4 last week. I think I found this with my training for my previous marathon but not entirely sure.

Question I need to ask is I am unable to run next weekend, do I bring forward or push back a long run to Thursday or Tuesday or simply pass it up and continue with the rest of my training as normal?

Emmy - do the cups just apply to water or to this AA stuff as well? I can see one sticky mess around the the water stations as most of hte drink will end up anywhere but where it is supposed to go.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

If I remember correctly everything is in cups and then you get a bottle of the AA drink at the finish. The aid station is laid out so water is first followed by energy drink/coke etc. and then banana's/food.

I think all aid stations are one big sticky mess?

• Options

I have always found european marathons have cups with 1/3 full of sticky nasty drinks, not pleasent but do the job.

Goalpost - def pass it up - please !!!! 20 milers really take it out of the body and if you have done 3 then 1 more will make little difference, but could cause harm - especially if spaced 4 days apart!!!!! you dont get stronger running, you get stronger resting after the running! I'm sure most people on here will agree with me, dont be a slave to your schedule

• Options

Thanks Wenty - I am pleased with your response.

Emmy - looks like I will be better off walking through the aid stations and bring a plate while I am at it - sounds like an all you can eat buffet.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Goalpost wrote (see)

Emmy - looks like I will be better off walking through the aid stations and bring a plate while I am at it - sounds like an all you can eat buffet.

That's what I do image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Goalpost: RE:Long runs. I would do a shorter LSR. Doing another 20 so close will just tire you further than being positive. You already have 3x 20 milers in the bag which is a lot more than others! image

What other runs do you have planned this week?

• Options

Hey people - you should try the medoc marathon through the vinyards - the water stations have wines and the food stations have cheeses - shame you have to run 26 miles really!!!!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wenty -I ran medoc last year and ran Bacchus (the English version) yesterdayimage

• Options

Emmy, I cant believe I have never seen that one - i used to work across the road at Friends Provident (i presume thats where it is in dorking). I think Medoc was yesterday as well.

Another good one is Annacy, where all the locals bake cakes at various food stations. -i might do that one next year. great place!