Bewl Water Marathon

Anyone else doing this. It's a bit expensive, for 2 laps round a puddle....although if it keeps raining, it might be full again. Seen as its bank holiday and my birthday, I'm doing this on Saturday and 3 forts marathon on sunday. Monday, i will have a cider!

Comments

• I'm doing this as well and 3 forts. We must be madimage
  • I am considering Bewl but also Three Forts - but will only be choosing one of them not both! I'm recovering from Paris marathon and have Milton Keynes this weekend.
  • Peter, we must catch up at the event(s). Are you training for something big?!
  • The main aim is Comrades this year, so looking to do tough events. I'll be in either a Fetch top or a Marathon Talk one, say hello.
  • I'm doing this and husband is doing the half.   I was expecting it to be an  'ooooh look how empty the reservoir is' style-event, but if the rain in Kent is anything like it has been in Essex, we could be swimming round.image 

Halstead the following week for me.

• I'm doing the SDW100 in about 8 weeks so this is my first double of the year. I'll be in a red salomon top (probably under a waterproof though!)

I'm not going out too fast as I want to save it for the big hills on sunday. I've done 3FM before...nails.
  • That should be a good event.  I'm doing NDW50 in August, maybe 100-miler next year, I'll see how the legs goimage.

I have a double coming up in July.  Good luck with yours!

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the terrain is likely to be like? I have done no research whatsoever.image
  • QBQB ✭✭✭

It says mainly off road paths, can't be that muddy and I'm expecting pretty flat round a reservoir?! But to be true, I haven't done much research either and tend to be optimistic!

Nothing for me the next day bar work on house with Orpington marathon next weekend so I'll hope to enjoy this one. It does sound good

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

Given the rain that we've had expect the trails to be muddy - and very muddy in places.  It's best described as flat to undulating with a couple of steep road hills on the south side as the nature reserve there is closed to the public.  Those hills will hurt 2nd time around

enjoy!

• I'll see you at orpington too then....although I hear it's a bit of an odd affair!
  • QBQB ✭✭✭

Thanks FB, that's useful to have in mind. I'll use that as enough of an excuse to set off at a very steady pace and try and enjoy it

uB - think of Orpington as one guy setting out one year to run the marathon distance for charity local to where he lives and opening it to others to join him, and that has gradually grown each year. I like it - it's low key and friendly and run for the best of intentions. And therefore is also low cost and laid back, and very much not a race. So yes you're right, a bit different!

• Hi all,

I did Bewl the other day; it was crazy muddy eh? and yes, the hills turned into mountains by the second half!

I met a couple of lovely ladies on the run, one called Lisa and a glamourpuss from Essex, she knows who she is! lol. If they're on this forum then I was just wondering how you got on?

Orpington sounds tempting - local for me too!

• well done Hermes. A great first race. See you next year

• Well done from me too, a fine first race - and thanks Dave for saving us at the left turm. See you next year, hopefully with less mud.

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

The mud made that hard work for me but a good race nevertheless. Now I'm hoping the lady you met is calle d Essex Glamourpuss on the forum image

• Another great Hermes event. More challenging than I had expected, especially as this was the 1st of 3 marathons I ran over the Bank Holiday w/e - but, hey that's not a bad thing.  It was certainly a picturesque route with a lot of variety along the way, both in terrain and scenery.  

The course takes you through some lovely woodland, offers stunning views of the reservoir and generally weaves around some lovely, if occasionally hilly, country lanes.

A very friendly atmosphere and thankfully this yr. pretty damn good conditions for a marathon.

As always with Hermes events, great value for money and winning memorabilia! Really classy medal and a tech t shirt that's my new favourite in a collection of well over 70 I've picked up during the past few years.  

You can tell the event is put on by seasoned runners (both 100 clubbers) and the organisers' knowledge of what runners are looking for  is reflected in the bespoke  goodies!     

Highly recommended, I plan to be back next yr!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jon Carson wrote (see)

Another great Hermes event. More challenging than I had expected, especially as this was the 1st of 3 marathons I ran over the Bank Holiday w/e - but, hey that's not a bad thing.  It was certainly a picturesque route with a lot of variety along the way, both in terrain and scenery.  

The course takes you through some lovely woodland, offers stunning views of the reservoir and generally weaves around some lovely, if occasionally hilly, country lanes.

A very friendly atmosphere and thankfully this yr. pretty damn good conditions for a marathon.

As always with Hermes events, great value for money and winning memorabilia! Really classy medal and a tech t shirt that's my new favourite in a collection of well over 70 I've picked up during the past few years.  

You can tell the event is put on by seasoned runners (both 100 clubbers) and the organisers' knowledge of what runners are looking for  is reflected in the bespoke  goodies!     

Highly recommended, I plan to be back next yr!

Agree completely with Jon. An absolutely great event. Well marshalled and sign posted. Fantastic aid stations and a bling medal. The tech tee is one of the best that i've received at a race!

The price for me is worth it purely for the signage and aid stations. I've never seen so much 'runners' food on offer. You can tell that both of the RD's are not only experienced marathoners but they understand what runners want/need. This is my second Hermes Running event and both have been 1st quality.

RE: the terrain - trail shoes are a must. It was rock hard dry so it made it a little difficult in road shoes. I would definitely wear trail shoes next time and not bother with my own camelbak. Having the aid stations 3 miles apart was fantastic.

Jon - This was the first of 3 for me as well! which others did you do? I did Richmond Park and Milton Keynes.

• Two great minds and all that - the same 3 as you Emmy! and thought they were all brilliant in their own ways. How did you get on?(I'd only previously taken on 2 consecutive marathons before. Don't know about you, but I'm feeling pretty beaten up today!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Jon, Indeed! It's such a shame as it would have been nice to have a friendly face at each one! image This was my first treble too. Apart from blisters I'm feeling surprisingly ok. I'm sure that the ache will come tomorrow!

I know that the RD for Bewl Water ran Richmond and MK too. He paced the 3.15 group around.

• Yes -the legend that is David Ross.... and pacing after a time of 2.57 I the park too! Mindblowing stuff. Well, good on you anyway - you're clearly faring better than me!

My wife placed  3rd lady at Sunday's run - so quite a memorable w/e for us both.

You're not in/ aspiring to be in the 100 club are you? Maybe see you at a forthcoming event some time soon. I now have a 4 day rest before the Orpington marafun this Sat.

Cheers, Jon

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wow! that's a great time! well done to your wife!

im going to try for wannabe status first and then see how I get on. I'm just trying to find marathons I enjoy and not focus on the numbers too much.

good luck at Orpington. I was planning to run halstead but its my anniversary and I don't think hubby would be too pleased! My next one is Mittelrhein marathon on 26th April followed by Kent roadrunner the weekend after.