Options

Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Curly. I like the sound of that. First mile was 7.18. Pacing was good all round except last mile race to the line in 7 min dead image

Tenjiso. Resist!!!! Or is it too late!!!!

Lombster. Top run. Sub 3 all day long if you lose the wigimage
  • Options

Looks like the wig may have to stay in the hotel, unless it's still cold on the day!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

MarkD wrote (see)

Tenjiso. Resist!!!! Or is it too late!!!!

Well.... I've only eaten three so far.  There are six remaining to be resisted.

I did run four miles this morning, which by my reckoning must equate to around nine hot cross buns.  Probably.

• Options
    Lombster - excellent running well done!

Enjoy the carb loading Tenjiso!

No sun here today, and no running for me, Pilates at home instead. 13 for me tomorrow in 'marathon gear' to see how I feel, hope it's not too cold though. Got to work first thing, then make cakes for a competition to stop me worrying about the run, then go out for a run about middy. Hopefully it will have warmed up a bit by then!
  • Options

just in case anyone wants to add their name

Travel Lodge Preston Park 4.00pm Saturday

Toby3

Poohbear

Tenjiso

Lombster + 1

Kathy H probable

Snowmaiden

Mark D

Jellybaby

The Green Fairy

Picklelilly

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I've just realised looking at the above, I've got a family meal booked at 5:00pm.  Most likely I'll be about before 4pm, then have to leave by about 4:30pm.  

• Options
    Lombster.

My half last week 1:24:07(new PB), we are in for a sub 3 by the skin of our teeth. Gotta remember this is pre-taper. So, good conditions, with a bit of a gust on the backside all good. Problem is my knees will prob blow up at 24 and that's me ....
  • Options
    This time in two weeks....

Just checked the weather forecast, 10 degrees and 12mph winds. All sounds OK (unless your a spectator)
  • Options
    Neil, great half time. Just got to make sure we stick rigidly to that 1:30 HM pace from the start and don't get carried away by the true elites!

GCE, I keep checking the weather but so much could change in two weeks; it's snowing again here! I'm hoping the wind keeps away but, if there is any, hoping it's westerly so we get it behind us for the last stretch.
  • Options
    Following my last post, I've just realised today is Saturday and not Sunday!!
  • Options
    Matt R - all my marathons to date have been a much slower second half and it's always due to going out too quick and not having the mileage in training. This year I've got the miles in so just need to stick to a consistent pace. I'd rather take it too easy in the early stages and try and speed up near the end. If I were you I'd stick to a slower pace to begin; maybe that'll prevent the blowups you've had in the past. In my training run yesterday, I was slightly quicker over the second half which is what I'd like to do in Brighton.

GCE - I too thought it was Sunday earlier!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I ran a tune-up 5k race this morning and PB'd by 52 seconds image  I had hoped to complete it in 23:59, and actually finished in 23:32.  Followed that with another 6m to complete my scheduled 9m for the day.  Tomorrow I'm out for a 16m long run to round off the first taper week.  Feeling pretty stoked right now!

• Options
    Well done Tenjiso on ya pb. Just 12 for me tomorrow. That was a midweek run a couple of weeks ago image
  • Options
    Congrats Tenjiso, fantastic running! Enjoy the feeling, you've worked hard and earned it image. Guess that carbo loading paid off too.
  • Options

Last LSR under my belt - my training plan said it should have been a 9 miler, but as I had missed 6 of the 8 mile run I should have done in the week decided to add the two together and do one last 15 miler - not bad time, just over 15.42 min pace per mile overall.  Now only one 8 miler, one 5 and the rest 3's before the race.

I think I have worn out poor Toby3 though, as he has come along to keep me company, support me and monitor mileage on all my long runs including today, as well as all his own training and is now fast asleep on the sofa. 

Good running everyone - enjoy the taper and carb loading!

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Thanks Mark.

Picklelilly wrote (see)
    Congrats Tenjiso, fantastic running! Enjoy the feeling, you've worked hard and earned it image. Guess that carbo loading paid off too.

Hah - yes, I'm going to instigate carb-loading for all my 5k's from now on.  I might start doing weekly parkruns so I can load up every day.  If I eat enough I'll soon be challenging Mo image

• Options

Well done Poohbear, I am sure Toby3 will be fine after a good rest !!

• Options
    Well done tenjiso and I brilliant plan with the carb loading image

I have a general running question for you guys. Sorry for needing to pick your brains again. I have a half next Sunday. My training hasn't gone as well as I had hoped in that the pace has been all over the place. Aiming for 9.30 but ranging from 9-10.15. Anyway my question i want to run the full distance tomorrow to reassure myself I can do it and to have a rough idea of how long it will take me (last half was several months ago tho have gone longer since then) and set a realistic pace for the race or is that the wrong thing to do when I only have a week to go. Just torn between taking it too easy when I could and should push for more and going out too fast and struggling to finish and figure tomorrow would tell me what is a realistic pace for my current fitness
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Tillstar - I'm no expert, but I'd say that if you run a half tomorrow at your race pace, there is no way you will recover properly for the race itself!  They say it takes a day of recovery for each mile raced, so you would need approximately two weeks to recover.  You don't need to have completed a half-marathon in training in order to complete the race.

• Options
    Tillstar - I have to agree with Tenjiso race pace seems too fast with just two weeks to go? I did 13 miles today at easy pace and enjoyed myself, despite the freezing weather! Be confident in your ability to get round.

Tenjiso - fab time for your run, enjoy the rest,

Still not managed to wear the charity t shirt far too cold still. Wore my long sleeve thermal and a lightweight top and was still cold when the wind was in my face.

Excellent running from everyone, oh yes my Garmin strap doesn't last long before it needs replacing does anyone else find this? I need to take a spare Velcro one with me to Brighton just in case.......yikes only 2 weeks to go and we're on the plane!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I will listen to your advice and go for a shorter and slower run. Thanks image
  • Options
    12 miles d&d. Tough going. I thought it was the race on Friday. But then realised it was carrying my 3 yr old daughter around legoland yesterday!!!!!! An 8@mp a 7 and a couple of 5,s and that's me done.
  • Options
    Last 17 miler done. All seemed very easy at first, achy from about 10 but hoping that is general fatigue and I will be rested in 2 weeks. All long runs done at around 10:20 without being too knackering so hoping I can do around 10:00 miles on the day. Not sure I can keep that pace all the way! But that would also be in line with my HM times.

Tried malt loaf on the run for the first time. A little hard to eat and potentially too fibrous? I like the idea of it though so will try again on my 10 miler next week. I will just stick to my normal Haribo/bars if I'm not 100% happy!

Still a bit windy here but best weather I've had for a long run this year. Made me realise how much easier it will be if weather isn't a factor. We must all be better runners for it!
  • Options
    Well done MarkD. I also did quite a bit of walking around the zoo yesterday! Good cross-training!
  • Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Mark - Legoland will tire you out like no LSR ever can! image

16m LSR this morning.  Still feeling the effects of yesterday's training and racing, but I managed to stick to my normal pacing schedule.  43m for the week, and my highest ever monthly total of 216m.

• Options
    Good weeks training finished off by a 13.5 mile run today. In the middle of the run did a few miles at near MP just to keep reminding myself of the pace. Only a few more road runs and gym sessions left before the big day!!!! Restaurants all booked for fri and sat night, visiting running shop on Fri to gets gels/drinks. More organised than I usually am!!!!

Well done on everyone getting this far, nice last Two weeks training ahead.
  • Options

Well done everyone good training!

6 miles MP today - felt good but very windy and cold but quite likely to be like this in Brighton so I suppose it's good training. Longest run from now on is 6 miles in differing formats eg neg splits/tempo etc - quite odd not to be seeing the odd 20 miler on the plan!

Happy Easter as well - to those of you who eat choccie - enjoy!! image With all the miles you've done you needn't feel guilty either!

• Options
    Today was my first reduced-mileage run of the taper. A LSR of just 11.5 miles. Hilly, but sunny - good grief! Sunshine! What a joy!

Anyway......back to the 11.5 miles......first tapered run and I'm already wondering......with all that hard training done, and all those miles in the bag, and reaching peak fitness 'n all.........doesn't just one marathon seem like a bit of a waste?

Am I mad? Am I alone in these thoughts?
  • Options
    No picklelily you're not the only one! I' m already thinking about what to do next, it seems such a waste of such a lot of training to do one race! We have a HM over here in June, but I'd like to look at perhaps another marathon later in the year, but trying to find one that doesn't involve a charity place because I'm too late for the ballot isn't always easy. Berlin is already full.....I could always do the one here in October I suppose but it's nice to go away! May have to look to England or France.....