Brighton Marathon 2013

Comments

• On train at Victoria on way to Brighton!!!! Hopefully b at expo for 12 looking forward to buying new running shoes as a treat.

Not worried about weather it's going to b perfect on race day, mild cloudy with a slight wind. Trust me!!!!!

C u all soon
  • Hi,

I haven't seen this thread before (don't know how...!!??) but I'm running on Sunday and this is my first marathon. I'm travelling from Essex tomorrow by train to the expo to pick up my number but could only get a hotel in Three Bridges as I left it too late...!! image I haven't booked any park & ride....is there a train station near the start does any one know...??

I am in a bit of a state this morning thinking about Sunday....I've trained so hard as I've never done anything like this before. I picked up an injury last week (twisted my knee climbing up my twins bunk bed ladder...!!) and didn't really notice it until I tried a 30 min run Tuesday evening. Went to see a physio yesterday afternoon, fortunately it is muscle and not ligament, and I have decided to give it a go on the advice I've been given.....if I don't try I'll never know and I'll regret it. But I'm not running now until Sunday and I'm panicking as I'm in pain from the physio....I just want to get round and am not bothered about time but I feel so unprepared now....!!! image Sorry for the rant just need to get things off my chest I think...!!! image
  • Hi everyone - I have made a very hard decision and withdrawn from Sunday - A week is not long enough to fix my leg . Tried to run this morning and its agony. I am devastated.image

I am still coming and will be with the Crones and Colitis Cheering section - cheering you all on

Good Luck everyoneimage

• Darcy - you've trained hard so are as prepared as you can be. The little injury is bad timing but all you can do is stay positive and give it a go. I'm sure it will be fine and you'll finish with no trouble at all. Good luck image
  • A nice little mantra I read this morning...

'Be confident. Stop thinking. Just run'

• Almost there - just need to get to the expo (which is always a pain), to get number then - line up on Sunday.

Why does everyone hate the power station bit - I actually really like that part, as if you have paced yourself right you can pick the pace up a little and head for home! Quite good support their last year as well and quite interesting though the yards with timber etc. - Think positive!!!! (Ignore the dying runners in the gutters, they are just resting)

Come on everyone - almost there

• Darcy - get the train to Preston Park (the stop before Brighton) and follow all the rest of the runners image

• Kerrance - I'm sorry to hear that - good luck with your recovery.

Darcy - there are nearby stations Preston Park and London Rd, and Brighton station isn't too far either.

Ryan - I like that! Don't think. Just run. - I'm going to use that! image

As I've never been before, I'm anticipating the 'power station bit' with trepidation... Hope it's not as bad as some say!

• Liz, the power station is not as bad as people say - it just happens to be around the 20-23 mile stage which are some of the hardest miles!

Pace yourself right and its not bad (I like the "power station bit")

• If you guys are yet to decide on your fuel for the day then take a look on natrun.co.uk. They've done a top five on the best gels and drinks to take during the race. Leave a comment if you've got another suggestion. 

http://bit.ly/Ytwq7w 

• Thanks Ryan - the mantra is working already...!! image

And thanks Barbie1976 for the info. image
  • Alex SiS Go gels for me, However i generally take whatever is being handed out at the stations round the marathon! Brighton last year had cliff shots whch were lovely and i had more gels at the end of the race then i started with! (started with 3 and came back with 5)

You get some weird things in european marathons like cakes! (its a marathon not a cricket match)

• Just got to Brighton and having a coffee before hitting the exbo. Lots of porta loos and tents in Preston park and find I am walking around playing a game of spot the runners image already treated myself to some new capris in sweat shop image
  • Sorry Liz Joiner - just seen the info about train station - thank you.

I had no idea about this 'power station bit' what's that all about...??!! image

Long or short sleeves for tomorrow do you think...? Oh my goodness....the things running through my head....must remember the mantra...!!! image
  • Darcy, don't worry about the 'power station bit' - it's become a bit of an urban marathon myth, as instead of running through the pretty streets of Brighton/Hove or along the seafront, you're running through the industrial area of Shoreham power station, so now some people have built it up as all doom and gloom.....but it's seriously not.

There's still plenty of support and I actually find it's really nice to have a change of scenery. Embrace the power station! image

Definitely short sleeves, even though it's forecast to be quite windy it's going to be much warmer than we're all used to running in.

• Darcy - don't panic - you are going to have the most amazing time! Definitely wear short sleeves, the power station section is fine - just pop a few pain-killers in you back pocket should your injury play up a little. If you need anything ask anyone running near you - the camaraderie in marathons is amazing - everyone will help you get round!
  • As has been mentioned I don't think it's the power station road itself - it's simply the race distance - 20-23 miles is always the toughest for me - I'm not really sightseeing at that stage anyway. Seem to get a second wind turning for home after that.

This year - better pacing, better mental attitude and may even try a mantra or 2 !!

I do like "stop thinking, just run!"
  • Exactly Johnny, miles 20-23 are going to be tough whatever the scenery...but then how uplifting is it when you get back on the seafront and see the pier and know the end is literally in sight image

• Massive queue to get into expo we are queuing outside now its cold and if doesn't open for another half an hour
  • Thanks for the heads up, heading down there myself shortly so might wait until the doors have opened - last year there was a big queue on the Saturday before it opened, but as soon as they opened the doors it moved really quickly.

• Darcy are you running tomorrow. You may be first across the line image

The power station myth started because on year one they built a fake wall that you ran thru at mile 20!!!! It had 'the wall' written in big letters all over it. They got rid of it for year 2. A lot of people didn't want it back image
  • Darcy Palmer wrote (see)
    Sorry Liz Joiner - just seen the info about train station - thank you.

I had no idea about this 'power station bit' what's that all about...??!! image

Long or short sleeves for tomorrow do you think...? Oh my goodness....the things running through my head....must remember the mantra...!!! image

Darcy, first time for me as well on Sunday, can't tell you how nervous/excited I am!

• That's good go know I'm not running this year I just want to sign up for next year image huge excitement in the queue I'm very jealous
  • a tip for newbie marathon runners when you get to 20 miles

don't think of it as a 26mile (and a bit) race - when you get to 20, just think "only 10k to go".  10k is something that you've knocked out loads of times so think of it as the start of a 10k training run and your mindset will alter.  after all a marathon isn't just about the legs but keeping the mind on matters as well so anything you can do interally to keep the motivation going, especially when you're flagging, has to be good.

doesn't stop that 10k being a bitch on the legs, but at least you will have a different mental approach to it

• MarkD - only if I start now..!!image

Thanks everyone.....you've cheered me right up.....I am going to enjoy my first marathon..!! I'll be in pain at the end of it anyway, injury or not...!!

Karen Clinton - I have read so much about taking painkillers when running a marathon....bad for your kidneys etc. so was in two minds on it. Have been on diclofenac for last 2 days as my physio advised and he also said take some on the morning but I just don't want any long term effects...!!

Gonna get on my bike now and get excited for Brighton tomorrow...!! image
  • Pain killers are not recommended, however i think like all things in moderation they should not be too much harm - taking 10 ibuprofen is very different to 1 or 2, if you are properly hydrated (and salt levels). Not that i would recommend them - pain is just weakness leaving the body !

I used 2 one year to keep inflamation down, but dont normally

Fat Buddha - I too use that technique - I run first half then count down the miles, then 10k run picturing where i would be if i was running at home.

• My tip for the power station section is to find somebody (or a group) running at your pace and have a little chat with them, and get each other through it. It can be mentally tough because you're tired and the crowds do thin out, but I found that chatting to people makes the time go much quicker and before you know it, you're back on the Promenade, the adrenaline starts pumping and the last 2-3 miles is actually quite a lot of fun!

• I had my best half marathon and marathon on paracetamol and cough medicineimage
  • I am excited for you all who are there and picking up numbers and is hard to believe it's so close. I am getting the train down tomorrow morning and will be in Brighton for 2.30 to collect race number etc. I am so nervous and emotional...and can't believe will actually be t shirt weather!! I am off to see the fratellis tonight but will be standing in quiet spot to avoid any risk of injury!!