Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Well done poohbear i woke at 6.30 but had the dogs to walk first then managed to get out at 8....are you doing bristol half ??? What distances are you running at cricklade and swindon??

• Afternoon all! Well done poohbear and Yvonne. I also got up and out for a run at 630 this morning to beat the heat. I only had 6 miles to do today according to the plan so that's all I did but it was strong and just below target mp so I'm happy. Just got back from a sneaky gym session too as I was bored so went for some sneaky cycling and weights work. That's first week of my 38 week plan completed and I'm happy. Finally got my addiction back. It means I have a free day tomorrow as have done today and tomorrow's sessions today so may just go for a what I fancy run and not worry about distance or pace just run for the fun of it.

Also a special thanks to poohbear - i have a new mantra when I am running - when it gets tough I repeat to myself "have some poohbear spirit" it reminds me that you wouldn't quit so I dont let myself quit either.

• Forgot to add yesterday I have made a deal with a friend - If i can stick to the training  plan and also give up all cakes biscuits sweets chocolate crisps ice cream and junk until at least September he will take a charity place and run the marathon with me - that has helped the motivation somewhat. Plus if I beat him across the line I get a trip to the theatre and a meal or if he beats me I have to cook him a proper meal.  He has run Brighton several times so Im going to have to work hard if I want to win our little deal image

Today should have been a cross training session but as i doubled up on sessions yesterday and did that yesterday I decided to sneak in an extra run as the weather was so nice.  Limited myself to 4.5 slow miles though as I dont want to do too much too soon.  Thoroughly enjoyed it just running as I felt only struggle was forcing myself to stop and not overdo it.

Happy running everyone image

• Yvonne - yes I have already signed up for Bristol Half and will also do Swindon Half.  I got put off by Cricklade last year, so will not be running at Cricklade - just cheering you and Toby on.  Hopefully I will try Cricklade again next year once I am faster.

Tillstar - sounds like your training is back on track and you are enjoying running again.  Glad to be a help, but I am just a mere mortal and my not giving up is more a case of stubborness and bloodymindedness as I dont like anything getting the better of me.

• FayaFaya ✭✭✭

I was supposed to do a long run today, but instead I went up to London to cheer on the people doing the British 10K and support the charity that I did the marathon for last year. 

"but I am just a mere mortal and my not giving up is more a case of stubborness and bloodymindedness as I dont like anything getting the better of me."

I think that's the only reason I managed to get through my first marathon! I was not going to let the damn thing beat me, dag nabit.

• Well it's now 9:15 in the evening and I'm just off onto the dreadmill to do that little20 min run that's in the plan ...I missed it last week and it put me all behind on my runs and I didn't get the hill session in last week ..... not so sure it's that cooler though....

Good running tillstar 

• Morning all

Some great running going on I'm off to weight watchers and then afterward 10 miles if it real hot again i will split down into two 5 mile loops again

Will have to wear a t-shirt today as i got caught really badly on my shoulders Friday and they blistered so need to keep cover up until they heal

• Morning All, the last few days were hotter in England than in Austria! I hope that you don not have troubles with the heat. It nedds 2 or 3 weeks to get accustomed to it. Then your sweat will contain less salt than normal and running is easier. On a long run I sweat 2-3 liters, therefore drinking is essential. In summer i have a special training course where I can take in water regularly vom drinking wells along a public bicycle way.

I did my first 40mi week since March with a 15miler (9:32/mi) on Saturday. Today I have 9mi scheduled.

• By jove it's warm.  Where was all this heat when we needed it earlier in the year? image

• Morning all

Well 10 miles for me yesterday as it was hot i broke it down into two 5 mile loops stopping in the house for a cold drink between the 2 loops have to say the heats playing havoc with my speed i was nearly 10 minutes slower today than a couple of weeks ago

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Only managed 12 miles of my 14 miles yesterday morning. I drank 1.5ltr of High 5 engergy drink. As I was struggling and had no drink left decided to walk the 2 miles home.

• Morning All, fine run yesterday despite of the heat. I did 15k average speed was 5:50min/k.

@ Tracey G: hi Tracey - there is nothing that hydrates better than water! If you like it, you can add a teaspoon of salt per liter.

Water has the advantage that it is availabe at many places at zero cost. Furthermore, it has no calories and there are no empty plastc bottles. In the eighties I did up to 100k in the summer without any energy stuff (did not yet exist). Only salt and some minor minerals are important. But the average European citicen consumes toomuch salt anyway. When it comes to energy - the body has stocked enough energy for hundreds of miles. When energy drinks or gels are consumed during training runs the fat-burning effect is lower than without the intake.

Take care!

• Well the heat in my garage on the dreadmill got to much for me last night i ended up finishing my cool down outside and only for 5 mins of it instead of the 10 mins left ...intervals last night !!! i took a cold wet flannel out with me after the 10 min warm up i was hot!!! then onto 5x3mins tough then 2 mins recovery normally i just jog at 5.7 mph on recovery i walked yesterday!!! Love the sunny weather but its playing havoc with my running!!"

• Hi yvonne 2!

Leave the mill alone in the garage, because there is no movement in the air making the sweating much worse. It is better running outside where the sweat vapourises (is this the right word?) and cools your skin. as I wrote before, heat adaption will take 2-3 weeks, so take it easy. Last summer we had over 35 Degrees Celsius over 4 weeks and it was still possible to run if you had enough patience to manage the adaption.

BUT: if you are running in the heat and you feel a cold shivering or you become lightheaded - please stop immediately!

Take care!

• hi franz

i normally do my long runs and recovery runs outside..the only reason i do my interval /threshold runs on the treadmill is then i know i will be running at the speed required without cheating and slowing down, which i can do when im outside....i need to find a running track i can use ...or buy myself a really good cooling fan!!!!

• Morning all

well no run for me yesterday so must get out to day for one just 5 miles to do then a recovery run on the treadmill Thursday using a run walk will miss my long run this week as were of up to Leicester to see Snowmaiden and help her move into her new home

Yvonne meant to ask hoe Jenny is has her ankle healed and how’s here weight loss coming along

• Hi Toby Jenny is going great guns with her weight loss another 2 lbs this week, so far, thats 9 lbs gone!! Her ankle is taking longer to heal than expected as she has to always walk on it so it gets aggravated all the time ....we have decided to bring the cross trainer into the garden for now as this is gentler on the joints ....

My weight loss is ok to, only 5 lbs to go to get to 9 stone so all good....its a slow process though fuelling enough to run and lose weight but im eating more healthy now than ever ..

• i thought i try something i a little different for me this year and try and do at least one 20 mile run a month up until December when my training for Brighton next year will start then run a few more 22 mile runs as i still struggled over the last 6 miles despite doing my long runs on a Friday and then going out Saturday with my Poohbear on hers

the back to back long runs paid did off and i did do a lot more 20 miles runs the target is to go sub 3:30:00 if i can or get as close as possible

Yvonne give are congratulation to Jenny on her weight loss she doing really well i hope her ankle gets better soon so she can case you out the door for an extra run and help towards your sub 4 at Brighton

Snowmaiden’s going great guns as  having lost 1st 3lbs not so good last week having put 0.5lb on but she was have a rough time of it last week so 0.5lb gain a good result

would you be up for a run some time if we came up to you it can’t be this weekend as were of up to Leicester to help Snowmaiden more in to her new place but any weekend after that let us know

Franzglad to read the running going well i don't know how long your over for next year but we usually have a meet up on the Saturday before the race you be more than welcome to come if your here

• Evening everyone! Great work on the weight loss Yvonne, also glad to hear Snow Maiden is going well Toby. 

I am well into the second week of my training plan and all is going well.  Having a structure to follow is keeping me at it as I want to say I completed the session not that I decided not to bother.  Am already seeing rewards from running consistently and my 5ks are getting faster and the long runs easier.

Have convinced my friend to run Brighton with me which is really helping training.  We are both aiming sub 430 and plan to run together.  We have little competitions each week for fastest time over a certain distance which adds to the fun.  It also convinces me to work hard as missing a training session would not only let myself down but him as well so motivation levels are high.

Diet is also going well as a result of having cut out all junk food as part of our deal.  have 9lbs to lose to get to 8st 7lb which is my ideal weight for running but like you Yvonne I struggle with finding the balance between eating enough to refuel and not eating too much.  Have been stuck around current weight for too long but now I am eating a lot more healthily things are starting to move in the right direction.

Have also been introduced to protein shakes and having the odd one after long sessions is making a huge difference in my recovery time and the next day I just feel ready to work harder rather than impossibly tired.

• Ran the Phoenix 10k this evening, course starts on the esplanade at Hove then goes west towards the dreaded powerstation for 5k, half of which is in the grotty area, then turn round and run back.  Many memories of BM.

It was very hot this evening but the stench of the paraffin from the many barbeques was unpleasant, especially some smog just 100 yards from the finish line.

Time 1:04:55 and considering my first 10k for about 8 years quite happy with that.  Something to target.

Welcome back mojo, now suffer! image

• Tilstar glad the trainings going well it does help when you have someone to train with

Green Fairy well done on your first 10k that’s a good time as well

• meant to say just 5 for me today but may do a little further as we will be missing the run on Friday

• thanks Toby image up at 5 today to fit my run in, 5k in 25.24 fastest time for ages. Great way to start the day. Rest day until Saturday mornings long run now image

• Thanks for the invitation Toby 3! You are right, it is still a long time to run...anyway, I am looking forward!

@ Green Fairy: Chapeau!

Yesterday it was terribly hot, about 32 degree centigrade and I was not able to go faster than 8:22/mi on the 5mi tempo run. I am happy that today I have just 8mi easy run. Anyway, I think it is time to run sub 7/mi (5:00/km) on the tempo runs. I was able to run sub 5/km in my preparation for the Paris Marathon, but temperature was much more agreeable!

• Woke up this morning and while I was asleep someone had removed my right hamstring and replaced it with an iron rod image

Ice the order of the day and gradually mobility has increased and pain decreased.

My Eton Dorney 10k on Saturday looks a no-no at the moment. (Sigh)

Toby3 you have been doing some monster miles, well done.

In fact well done to everyone running in this heat image

• Uffff! Very hot yesterday - I did the easy 8mi in 8:57/mi and the run was better than expected. It seems as the heat just limits my faster runs but not the easy/long ones. I think that my body needs a higher percentage of his energy to regulate the temperature when I try to run faster.

Today no run but stretching, tomorrow 17mi long.

Nice weekend and keep on running!

• Morning all!

week 2 of the training plan completed. Long run was 7 miles today which i did in 1 hr 05 with an average pace of 9.16 so im really happy.  The improvements already from just sticking to the plan and running consistently are amazing.  Looking forward to what the remaining months will bring.

Unfortunately though Garmin has completely died and all attempts at reviving it have failed this time.  New one ordered.  Poor Garmin we have done some mileage together. Happy running everyone

• Was supposed to do a 100 min run today and what a lovely cooler day it was!!!! Would of been ideal ....only thing is 18 members of my family all went to watch the flying at fairford air show including me ...had a lovely day though..

I know what I'm doing first thing tomorrow morning ...hope it's a cool as it was today...

Tillstar glad your enjoying your running again

Toby and poohbear your welcome to come down any weekend and run ...Hope your time with snow maiden went well 

• run done and dusted ....nice and cool (although if id gone out earlier would of been cooler ) lots of cloud cover, not a sign of the sun!!! (didnt think id be happy saying that ) and a nice cool breeze....

can now relax for the rest of my day off, before its back to work tomorrow....although note to the sun, you can come out from behind the clouds now!! image