forced to retire

turkeyneckturkeyneck ✭✭✭

Afternoon all, looking foward today to running in the heat once more. Looking to up pace overall so looking at a 5k race coming up soon .. but it has a pace minimum for Elites of 22mins and to my horror if you have a bad race that at 22mins and not crossed finish line .. you will be "asked to retire and make way back to the start" .. ever heard of such a thing?

in fact the criteria is 20mins for men and 22 mins for women which is sexist too?

Tagged:

Comments

• sounds good, what race is it?

• Lots of races have cut-off times, some enforced more strictly than others.  This one seems a bit extreme for a 5k but if they've made it clear in the race info then you can make your own choice on whether to enter or not.

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

If you are elite and are drifting outside of 22 minutes most people would probably step off the course anyway wouldn't they?

• If you're running a 22 minute 5k - then you're not elite. Can't see that its sexist either - women run slower than men so they get more time ?

What race is this anyway ?
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Sounds lke a great event and a great target race if you need something to inspire you to break those barriers.

Also are you an elite? If not then I guess you won't be allowed to run or that you shouldn't have entered.

I do think it is exist to have a slower target for women, but then again women are slower than men so it is just mirroring performance norms between the sexes. Where is he race? Sounds cool!
  • turkeyneckturkeyneck ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    If you're running a 22 minute 5k - then you're not elite. Can't see that its sexist either - women run slower than men so they get more time ?

What race is this anyway ?

cougie wrote (see)
    If you're running a 22 minute 5k - then you're not elite. Can't see that its sexist either - women run slower than men so they get more time ?

now that is sexist! lol  

• No its not. Look at the world records - Womens times are slower than Mens ? It's just fact.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

The British 5km time for a Man (Mo Farah) is 12:53 where as for women its Paula Radcliffe in 14:29 . So its hardly surprising even at elite level they state different times.

elite is different to world class, i ran 39mins for 10k and just ran with a mate every week. this is just a town race and whethe rmale or female shoudlnt determine times. the fact of better times exists only like for like age

• Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Thirty nine minutes for a ten Km is not elite.

The time differences exist through must grades if runners.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I'm a feminist type personage and I'm the first to jump and scream if I think something is sexist.  It's a fact that elite men run faster than elite women, Keith (hello Keith, I'm Kaz's friend from the 10in10 the other year) has even given you the proof.  I don't think it's sexist.

All men do not run faster than all women, accepted.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Elite is the best of the best. When I read elite I always think world class, not top 20 at a local 10k.
  •  

My mate's ten year old runs sub 21 for 5k!!!

• Should be easily doable for you Turkeyneck a sub 40min 10k

and to repeat the above, what's the race?

my mates daughter is international athlete at 14 for GB. Elite agree should be sub 18 not as i said i woudl havebeen elite (once!) but just a pudding jogger

• Okaaaaay - so if elite is now classed as sub 18 - what's your problem with people running a clearly non elite time having to step out of the Elite race ?
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    Hi M..o.use great to say hello. Was a fun ten days in Brathay.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I'd class sub 18 as an athlete. Not elite. Oh and a 13 year old boy runs sub 18 at my local parkrun. Flash little runner.
  • All other things being equal men are faster than women, and senior runners are faster than veterans.

Therefore, the cut-off for this race is both sexist and ageist...

...or neither and just something that the organisers feel they need to apply to make the event work. For example, I understand Norwich hold a two-lap 5k with a cut-off point which means that those who haven't completed the first lap in 10 minutes (so 20 minute 5k pace) are asked to step off the course. I believe it's part of a wider festival, and they need to reclaim the streets for other events after the 5k race - hence the stipulation. Might even be the event the OP is referring to?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Olympics are sexist - forcing women to run in separate races to men.

• the organisers can choose whatever times they like.....and you can ddciie whether you want to enter or not....

their race... their rules...

or is this a case of just posting  here to show how great you are without any training...

• Well there are actually a few points behind this post.

First if a race is set up for a specific timeframe then so long as it is specified  I think that is OK,

Even in a more general race there can be a cut off time. This applies often where there is a road closure and it has to be re-opened at a certain time. However even here the requirement is often to step onto the pavement to finish.

You do have volunteers out there as well. If you are running a marathon in 10 hours that may be a good challenge for you but if the person in front finishes in 7 hours that is a long time for volunteers to be out there.

The fact is many will stay out and certainly the finish area is often left up after a cut-off time.

The times stated above are not particularly elite to be fair but are reasonably fast for say an 8 minute miler who will finish in around 25 minutes.

Actually I am in that category and also run track races for our B team. Some think there that there should be an upper time limit but never been introduced although in reality there has to be one as the 5,000M isn't run in isolation. It is part of a schedule of races and if I took 45 minutes to run it then I would impact the rest of the races. So it all depends on the event.

Haven't logged on for ages! Can't let one aspect lie though and men only run faster than women at equivalent level .. no need to consult the Guinness book for that, the reason for giving women longer to run a distance is to equalise the numbers so more women cross the line. Ran a 10k a few weeks ago and top 50 finish men and top 50 women awarded a prize .. the 50th place lady finished I was told 260th .. it is saying the ladies are recognised as inferior when they are not at a local level. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pray tell which race is awarding prizes for top 50s?!?

Prize is a lovely tshirt and I earned one a few years ago so maybe this time the grapes are a little sour lol
  • Christ - two years on and he's still keeping the secret to himself.   He really wants that teeshirt !
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe any race gives prizes to the top 50. Unless it's some epic like Comrades or something, and less a prize and more a medal cut off point...
  • Haven't logged on for ages! Can't let one aspect lie though and men only run faster than women at equivalent level .. no need to consult the Guinness book for that, the reason for giving women longer to run a distance is to equalise the numbers so more women cross the line. Ran a 10k a few weeks ago and top 50 finish men and top 50 women awarded a prize .. the 50th place lady finished I was told 260th .. it is saying the ladies are recognised as inferior when they are not at a local level. 
    Yup, you got it!
  • Have you heard Dr Who is a woman now ?  AND she'll probably get a tee shirt for it...
  • This is great news, I go sub-20 for 5k therefore - I'm at elite athlete.

Granted my WAVA % wouldn't see it that way, but I'll choose to ignore that - I am an elite athlete - end of story