Frankfurt Marathon 2013

Comments

• C33 Redcar has been clashing with the Belin Marathon date for the last few years. The route has changed to a loop taking in the coast of Redcar and Marske and some of the Indutrial heritage. Fast, flat and technical T-shirts all round. (Beats that showboat of a fun run up the coast where you need to dress as a penguin to get in). Race director of the Redcar half is a proper lifelong runner so he obviously knows his gravy.

Wardi - long shot here but I may know your brother in law GS?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Good shot PC, that's the fella!  Are you in the legal trade too?

• Yes, all very respectable in my day job.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

PC.. excellent, if any of us get arrested after too many steins of lager I'm sure you will be the right man to put up a solid defence!  Had a chat with brother-in-law last night so the connection has been made.

Nice breakthrough for me at the York Parkrun.  My old codger's PB of 19:51 has frustratingly remained since last October.  I have been within seconds of it loads of times but alas always close but no cigar.  Ideal conditions yesterday, cool & light winds so fancied yet another attempt.  4k in 15:44 so buried myself in the last k to get 19:32.  Good enough for 22nd/200 & 1st V55.  It does help that the York course is flatter than a billiard table!

Long run today, 20m done but my legs didn't like it at all after yesterday's exertions, a bit hot too.  Feel ok now I'm hosed down and fed & watered.  

• Well done Wardi. Speed work and Long run done all in one weekend. Super training.

I can absolutely assure you that after a few steins of lager I am no use to man nor beast. It's a good job that the Runners World forumites I've met so far are all well behaved and happy soles. Run, beer, talk about running, food at some point. (Johnas has a fetish for sausage!) then more beer. Come and say hi in Frankfurt.

• Wardi well done on the 5k time and today's long run

PC Lolimage

Good to see Johnas today at the Pleshey and Essex Half - nice running and hope you made it back ok.  I was using it as a MP HR/breathing test and sadly came to the conclusion that 7:30 pace is too much...although it was humid, and FFT might be -2C like last yearimageimage.  76 miles for me this week, roll on taper time...

•  

Nice one Wardi... 5k is always a good indicator of current fitness and speed so you're in fine fettle.

Guilty as charged Mr Legal Eagle. Ich liebe Wurst!  

Good to put a face to the name today Teknik. And today is exactly why it's worth doing a solid MP run in prep - give you an idea of where your at for the big day so a good day for you today. It was humid!  

21 miles total for me today. Glad to get another 20+ in the bag

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

You deserve a plate of sausages after a half a'midst a 21 miler, good work Johnas!

Teknik.. we're all running a bit tired at the moment, peak of marathon training & all that.  You might find 7:30 pace like shelling peas come marathon day!  Nice week of miles BTW.

Re. the temp at Frankfurt.  I suffer from Raynauds so anything less than 10 degrees and my gloves are on.  Must remember to pack them for the trip!

• Glorious 11 miler this afternoon. No idea where that came from, it was supposed to be a rest/recovery day after yesterdays 22 miler. Just rans as I felt and loved every step today. It's great when you have runs like that. image

• Hmmmmmmmm managing to run a bit this week.  Survived 5 miles on dreadmill at slow pace but wound it up to see if it went pop which it didn't and felt OK on Sunday, tried the roads on Monday and not happy, thought kill it or cure it tonight on the dreadmill and blasted 5 miles and amazingly it felt hunkydoreyer when I was going quick than in the warm up or warm down just a bit grumbley now.

Conclusion...........as I seem to only be able to run pain free at silly fast pace I will either win the Frankfurt marathon or I will crash and burn very early in the proceedings and have a very long and painful outing. 

I'm due a good marathon.  Bring on the Kenyans!!!!!! image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Sounds almost hopeful Caniggia!  Just set off with Johnas and you should be fine  image

I see one of the German elite men is offering us tapering advice..

'Your main work is done. The last months you really grinded away'. 

11m of grinding today, took it steady on account of keeping my powder dry for Sunday.

• Hello everybody,

I had 18 dreary miles on the dreadmill yesterday.  My ankle got sore at about 14 miles in but after stopping for a minute or so for a bit of a stretch it started going again.  I was fearing the first few steps this morning but it feels not too bad at all.  Not convinced  it will hold together as well as that on the roads or whether it would have taken another 8 miles but hey marathons hurt anyway from 18 miles to the finish and a dodgy ankle can only take your mind off other pain!!!!!! image

Well my entertainment for Saturday afternoon is sorted.  I know its not Eintracht but I have got a ticket for FSV Frankfurt v Aalen in Bundesliga 2.  I don't trust myself not to walk myself to death if I go sightseeing but equally well I don't want to spend the whole day sitting about in my hotel room.  I am quite ashamed to say I have bought a seat rather than a ticket on the terracing to save my leggies and have lashed out the princely sum of 15€ for a seat of the stand which also includes my train ticket to get to and from the ground.  Standing tickets including your train fare were only 10€.  It would have cost me £20 to watch Dundee playing Morton yesterday.  Footie for £9 including your transport to and from the match....wouldn't Germany be a wonderful place to live!!!!! image image

Marathon world record has just gone again 2:03:25 to Wilson kipsang in Berlin.   Looks like I will have my work cut out to keep up with those Kenyans. image

• Sorry for mentioning the Dundee v Morton game MCDave image image

• Nice one Canniggia. Saves you wandering the streets on the Saturday.

Ive just doen the Redcar half in a time of 1:27:48. Slightly disappointed that its a minute slower than my pb but jeezz was it windy. Felt reasonably good until the wind battered me for 6 miles. 

Lets see what Kielder brings next week and then to taper.

• Redcar????

Windy????

I don't believe you lol imageimage  Well done that's still a great time. image

• If anyone really wants to see some Bundesliga action then Mainz are playing Eintracht Braunschweig on the Saturday. You can easily get to Mainz from Frankfurt by train or you can take line S8 on the S-Bahn. Only takes about 30-40 minutes from Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof.

The ticketing service isn't working at the moment but I believe you can stand for about €15. Not sure about seating prices but think that they may be €35+. Mainz also have a nice new stadium. But tbh the FSV Frankfurt - Aalen match will probably be better as the two teams are more evenly matched both currently having 12 points from 9 matches, whereas Braunschweig currently only have 1 point after 7 matches and have only scored 3 goals so it could be a bit of a battering.

• I looked at the Mainz game too when I found that Eintracht Frankfurt were playing away from home.  I did think about making the trip but when I saw it was Braunschweig that were playing I thought better of it.  If it was one of the big teams like Hamburg, Leverkusen or Hertha I'd have made the effort.  Just a shame it isn't one of the infamous St Pauli who I think are back down again this season.  That would certainly be classed as an experience!!!!!

• Road test ahoy............... Weegieland half tomorrow.  Ankle feels fine on the dreadmill so better give it a try on tarmac.  Not been in a big race for months so just going to try to take it easyish (marathon paceish provided I don't get carried away or blow up completely).  Should be a bit of a novelty tomorrow that you are actually running around the nice bits of Glasgow rather than an assortment of rough schemes and industrial estates.  Quite looking forward to the race but a bit worried about the niggly pain that might reappear at any moment.

There must be some serious training going on you lot have all gone awfy quiet!!!!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Agreed Caniggia, surely taper madness can't have set in already!  Hope the half goes well.

I ended up doing my half last week at MP pace, even that felt tough in the wind.  Suprised to learn it was still good enough for 1st V55, haven't got my prize yet though.

Doing a mixed terrain charity 10k on Sunday for CRUK in Bramham Park.  Lovely course as long as the festival goers didn't churn it all up in the summer.  Will run home a circuitous route to tot up around 20 miles all being well.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Good luck at your races Caniggia and Wardi, and well done on the v55 prizeimage

Total train wreck of a weekend here.  Bit of a domestic meant I missed yesterday's 10k which was supposed to be a PB attempt, and I met an old friend last night for a few too many drinks so today's 23 miler is not happening.  image

• Kielder Marathon done today. 26.2 (or.6 for Garmin Geeks!) of lovely scenic running. 3:24:57 and 37th. I'm hoping it has not taken too much out of me for Frankfurt but we will see. No regrets it was a lovely run.

I hope you all had a great weekend and can start to taper.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

well done PC! get plenty of rest and recuperation after that fine mountain performance! wishing you a speedy recovery for sure.

most of the hard work's banked now teknik so don't worry too much. if anything, the body is probably glad of the rest - it's not to be underestimated! Only a 50 mile week for me last week but I know the body needed it after picking up a slight niggle in the week.

how did you get on Wardi and C33??

10k for me yesterday at South Bucks 10k. Picked up some plastic silverware for 2nd place in 33.15, so pleased with the speed endurance. It does make my suggested marathon time on various calculators look a little sharp for my liking though!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

PC great running !image

Johnas well done on the 10k place and timeimage

I managed to get the missing 20 miler in this morning, so feeling much better about things now.  Taper time ! image

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice work on getting the long run back in the schedule Teknik.

Cracking time Johnas and nicely done on a podium spot.

PC.. sub 3:30 is very tidy for a training run, give the legs a good rest now won't you!

20th/350 ish at the Bramham Park XC.  Modest time of 44 mins but it is a hilly & bumpy course so happy enough with that.  CRUK got a record 700 entries for the 5k &10k due to the good weather and ran out of water & medals at the finish!  I donated my medal to a lady who had just done her first 10k and looked a bit gutted.  Got me a peck on the cheek anyway.  Ran home to tot up 17+m.  My legs were trashed near the end so I abandoned the 20m plan.  Still, a tough 10k xc + 11m is probably as benficial as a steady 20m anyway.

• Great running everyone! Puts my 7 mile recovery/aerobic stroll after Berlin/annoying cold into perspective. image

I'm going to follow the anti-taper for multiple marathons in the P&D book, which involves something like 38 miles this week, followed by 48 next, which seems a bit strange. Still, they are the experts.

More in my area of expertise - I'm arriving on Friday afternoon, and was thinking about popping over the river to Sachsenhausen for food and maybe some apfelwein in the evening, if anyone fancies it?

I'll be taking up the offer of free food after the breakfast jog, and the pasta party too, before Johnas' dinner on the Saturday evening.

Finally, are we still meeting at the 12 Apostles pub after the run?

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Hello, Frankfurt marathon thread.  Probably joining in a little late in the day, but hope that doesn't matter (I'm generally on the sub-3 and sub-3.15 threads, so hello Wardi).  I'm hoping it would be ok for me to join in with food on Saturday and/or Sunday as my travelling companion and fellow racer now has a stress fracture, so I will otherwise be on my own.  

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

well done Teknik on squeezing that in! That's dedication!

Pretty sure a XC tempo will make up for the few miles you missed off Wardi. Sub 45 on a bumpy course aint bad going either

Stephen - well done on Berlin. I'd say that taper programme makes sense. I'll be joining you for the Breakfast/Pretzel Run on the Saturday morning too but will probably wrap myself in cotton wool friday night as don't trust myself!

Joolska - what took you so long! More the merrier and feel free to spread the word to others on those threads

dinner list (http://www.quattro-frankfurt.de/nudeln.php):

Joolska

PCleasby

Stephen Malcolm

Johnas + 1

C33

Wardi?? You in?

12 apostles post race for beers is the plan!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Yes please Johnas, 2 places for Mrs Wardi & me.  No sausages for Jools, she's a vegetarian.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

excellent

no quote button!

Joolska

PCleasby

Stephen Malcolm

Johnas + 1

C33

Wardi + 1

If anyone else fancies it, just copy and paste and add your name so I can increase the reservation

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

The first time I went to Germany my vegetarian salad came with a salami garnish.  My expectations are low!