Great North Run 2013

Comments

• Fiona - I'll give start fitness a look thanks. I get emails off them so I must have used them before sometime.

Shielsy - the dreaded taper madness. It's worse than man flu, unless you have man flu, then that, of course, is the worst.

I'm painting the town red this weekend myself, if I can remember how as it's been such a long time since i've been out.
  • lfc, start fitness are good, usually got a discount code as well, this weeks is spring10 for 10%. I ordered calf guards recently, absolutely brilliant for me and might nake the difference this year in recovery and prevention of injury, also ordered some running shorts for my wife as she's doing Race For Life, you never know one day I might get her hooked as well...

• Thanks Andy. Good luck getting the wife out. Mine talks a good race.
  • Andy/LFC - it's not necessarily a good thing having the OH also running cos then there are twice as many people to organise and who looks after the kids etc. No one to look after the stuff, someones got to wait on the other one. You'd think I had experience of this!

• Did a 7 miler tonight at just quicker then marathon pace - oh my god it must be Shielsy reminding me - the first 4 miles my legs did not belong to me they were so heavy luckily I now have OK feelings as the final 3 miles I felt so much better. It has told me that everything now is to be done at really slow pace (apart from 1 speed session next week) but no more tempo runs all slow now. Got a 18 miler planned for Sunday and as the wife is away I can take as long as I want with it and I will.

• Well done BP - I went out tonight and did 5 miles and tried as hard as I could to keep it slow, but like the other night the more I tried the faster I seemed to get ... not sure what that's all about.

My legs were dead and hot and heavy all the way round though.  I'm also getting niggles in my right knee, just underneath the kneecap.  Nothing painful, but enough to  notice as I'm running.  I may invest in a patella strap and try it out at the weekend and see how that feels.

Off to get ready now for my last night out before the big M.

• Evening all image

How is everyone? Cabin fever, er I mean taper madness setting in yet?

• Vixx- yes I have good dose of it.  The "slight" concern over my calf just tops it off.  Should i run a bit and keep my head and fitness happy or should i rest it to give it an extra few days days to heal etc etc I just don't want to waste the 1000km I've done so far this year ....You know nhow it goes image

• Evening vixx, OS and Shielsy

Vixx - I have a bunged up nose but otherwise ok.

OS - resting would be best I'd say but I don't find that too tough.

Shielsy - you really aren't having a good time are you.
  • Shielsy - sorry to hear your knee is playing up image

OS - Can you cross train instead of run?

Fiona - I am trying desperately to avoid the lurgy at the moment! :S

Hi Bearsted! Have you got taper madness yet? image

• Vixx - Yep fully infected with Taper Madness - hate it every year but getting better at stopping myself doing too much in last 2 weeks.

• Cool - I heard an Ironman triathlete say once that the key to taper madness was not to taper image

Are you ready for Manchester?

OS/Fiona - ready for London?

Shielsy - hope you will be ready for Marathon of the North!

Anyone else got an April marathon?

• Too much marathon talk on here, it scares me !

Personally im training for a much more sensible 5k race in 2 weeks time, i will then follow that up a few weeks later with a 10k and then a 5.9 mile race image
  • Shielsy - hope the knee sorts itself out soon.

Fiona - no chance that OH will come running with me, she had told me in no uncertain terms that it is not her thing.

No taper madness for me this year, I've no races planned until I finally get this knee sorted once and for all.
  • Vixx - already to go image how about you?

Lfc - when it comes to running she might eventually change her mind. I did and now I do much more!

Bear - I never seem to be much bothered in the taper I have to say.
  • I'm ready Fiona - just this week to get out the way first. image

Then I shall be joining Bear at Manchester.....

• Vixx - yes I am ready, probably more ready than I have been for a Marathon before - that worries me as something is virtually bound to go wrong now in final 2 weeks. I'd forgotten you were doing Manchester.

My memeory is definitely going - is there anyone else doing Manchester??

• I'm trying my first "two in 8 days" attempt. London next week and Manchester the week after.

I am kind of going to miss the online tracking, like we did last year on the London runners, but I am happy I'll be running it image

• 45:34 at Cragside this morning ; what a tough course that is.

Need to do some hillwork, and crack it next year.

Will catch up properly later.

Good luck to all those tapering. I have a foolproof method of avoiding taper-madness.

• XL - is that DON'T DO A MARATHON. image

Well done on the time, it sounds like a toughie. I see the entry is open for Clive cookson.
  • Vixx76 wrote (see)

Cool - I heard an Ironman triathlete say once that the key to taper madness was not to taper image

Are you ready for Manchester?

OS/Fiona - ready for London?

Oooh yes- I can't wait for it. Bring it on!! I'm reading Running Crazy which is about members of the 100 marathon club.  Many of them never taper (or train!), as they "just" do marathons every weekend.  Some fit in a 5mile leg stretch mid week.  They must spend a fortune on shoes though image.

XL- well done at Cragside.  I guess there's a clue in the name that it might be a challenging course image.

• Nah, if they're only running a marathon plus a 5 miler they're only doing 31 miles per week. That's nothing. I do 70 - 85 in marathon training. 

Apparently photos are working again if you want to finally put up that pic from the Inter Counties OS. I've braced myself for it. 

No taper madness here of course, but plenty of cabin fever. I haven't run now for 10 days. I promised I wouldn't run again until I've stopped coughing, and I haven't stopped coughing get. I am going insane though. 

• /members/images/433328/Gallery/Img_8443B.jpg

Looking very focussed there CC2.  I think it was the 1st lap, on the track behind the tents.  Sorry about the camera growing out of your shoulder!  Hope the lungs settle down soon though

• Nice running XL image

I'd like to join the 100 club.

Nice pic there of CC2 - good shooting OS image

• Very little evidence of the mud there, though I should point out that my spikes are in fact bright red...

• That was one of the higher parts of the course and it was only the 1st lap....

• True! Do you mind if I pinch it?

• CC2- feel free, go ahead.  Message me if you want a better resolution version.

• Well that's last run of any length before Manchester - 18 miles at slow pace I need the 2 week rest from long runs my legs feel so heavy