Ikano Robin Hood Marathon and Half Marathon

Comments

• It was a good day for me,6min pb for the half and family there at the end so good times. Oh yeah and beer on the way home HOORAY image

• It was a good day for me,6min pb for the half and family there at the end so good times. Oh yeah and beer on the way home HOORAY image

• I'm all for celebrating a pb Scott, but 4 times is rubbing it in my face  image

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭

I got a PB, but the course is not as enjoyable as it used to be when it went through Woollaton Park. But it was faster. I wish people would be honest about their expected finish times though. I see a few people moaning (facebook) about the distance being more than 13.1 miles according to their gps's, mine said 13.12 miles, so almost spot on. Either they were zig-zagging or their gps's are poor.

• Literatin - it was you I went by then. Glad you're okay. I did think about stopping, but you already had help and there was nothing I could have added to the situation. A number of people will be pleased to hear you're fine now though. Also heard of a lady tripping and giving herself a black eye at HP (so possibly not the above mentioned "screamer", but she did finish the race. Never heard of so many non muscle injuries!
  • Oops sorry! 

I'm going back out tomorrow as feeling better,anybody else? 

• 9 miles yesterday image  I'm going do little, easy and often for the remainder of the week

• Wow ok ,only be 3 for me!  To busy now at weekend so next week back on it! 

• I did half a mile around the block yesterday, just to loosen the stiffen out of my legs.

• So is anyone 'close enough' to insider information or know locals that know what went on with the 2 'winning' Kenyan half m runners?
    The 35 min video compilation of the event shows them pulling away, on the right route!, into Victoria Park... then a split second of them heaven knows where.

The winning males are definitely not Kenyans.
    Nicholas Kirui is on the results at position 891 time 1:41:11  image

and Boniface Kiprop Kongin doesn't appear at all. I guess he didn't bother to cross the finish.

website says results are provisional and should be confirmed by w/c 7th Oct !!

• It is funny as I saw a 1/2 marathoner who looked very much the part of a Kenyan running the opposite way to me on the marathon course. It was around mile 12 / 13. I figured he had blasted the half and was then doing a few cool down miles along the marathon route. We didn't stop and chat so I can't confirm nationality.

• hello all

did anyone notice the banana skin on the floor at about 2 miles; what idiot would throw that down with thousands of people running. This was my first ever marathon, so I guess i got a pb. Parts of the run were pretty hard, gutted not to get a t-shirt unless forking out another 14 quid. Anyway Manchester Marathon in April beckons, see if I can smash my pb!

• You have to jump snd sidestep all sorts of stuff, but i got the dog s##t! 

Good luck

• Also-ran. So you were doing the half and were running right along the river edge (as the half route went) when you saw both Kenyans (?) heading to the finish on the marathon route (the road between river and park)? Can I ask what time you did ie were they about to win in approx 1.05...?

I wonder if they were directed along the marathon final route which would have been slightly shorter?

What ever happened it's not good and will look poor on the organisers as if the mini marathon fiasco wasn't bad enough!
  • Hi Judith

I was running the full, so broke off from the HM course at mile 11. My sighting came on Daleside road (12 miles, around 1:15 - 1:20) where there is a short section that the marathon course comes back on itself. That's where I saw him running towards me. First reaction was that he was leading the marathon, but quickly discounted that unless he was on world record pace! Intriguing.

• I thought that the 2 Kenyan guys were employed as pacers for the full marathon.

• 1 Kenyan way down in the half results. The other doesn't show at all. Kongin (who doesn't show at all) has been winning halfs & 10 miles the last few months.

From 3.50 - 8.40 it's all about the Kenyans then shows 'non Kenyans' crossing the finish with the 'as yet unofficial' winning half times.

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-4272-video-montage%3A-ikano-robin-hood-half-marathon-%26-marathon.html

Where are they at time 8.42/3??.. though it could be bad editing???

• Hmm. From the facebook page...
    'They went the wrong way at the split point - there were no signs directing marathon runners to the left and half marathon runners straight on, it was only on the tannoy and I gather they misunderstood and followed the marathon route at the split point instead of the half marathons. Oops!'

• I guess by the time I got to the split off point, the marshals had wised up - I had a half marathon number (long story), and several marshals really shouted, screamed  and even gave chase after me. It was my favorite part of the race, and I would like to think it was my fastest mileimage

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

i was watching near the half / full split at 11m and the guy was on the loudspeaker constantly but wasnt there for the kenyan mix up.  i did think at the time a big yellow sign with full mara and an arrow and likewise for the half.

Also ran - image sounds like a good diversion mid race

So whats the score with the kenyans, did they cross the line first.  If not they shouldnt be given the win despite how far ahead they might have been

• Caught an interview on the radio about a couple of kids that were meant to run the mini marathon ended up doing the half. The story was not clear (not sure if it was BS, bad parenting or I think a child minder was involved somwhere).

Either way the organisation sounded chaotic. Wqs it?

• It wasn't bad for marathons I have run. The main problems were with the mini-marathon (stalled lead car, misdirected runners, upset children, irrate parents), and the Kenyan issue

It had some blips, for example one or two marshals sleeping on the job and needing waking up to work out the way (can happen in any low key marathon), poorly marked split for half and full,  embankment absolutely crammed with half marathoners walking home and having to try running through them, and at the end having to wrestle a big army guy for my full marathon medal (I told the organisers wearing a half marathon number would cause confusion).

Overall I give it a  thumbs up, and for someone who was sick and also needed the toilets urgently during the race image , I was well provided for! Nice one Robin.

• I've only ran 1 marathon before this and I guess London spoils youimage
    I was pushing myself really hard for a sub 4 ( at age 50 and 2 months) and some of the mile markers seemed to be questionable and having people riding bikes towards you on the river path out at mile 23 didn't help my already fuzzy brain.

I got my sub 4 (3.56.44) but if I had been over by a few seconds I would have hated the course even more than I did!

Certainly an interesting event but I wont be rushing back to it for many reasons.
    I loved the medal though image

• Judith - mile markers are all part of the charm of these events image Last year at Leceister the mile number started going down and not up. Most dispiriting. I took it on the chin; the guy running alongside me gave the marshal a mouthful.  And then Milton Keynes this year where a bike marshal took me off piste and I then got back on the course behind a group I have previously passed.  As I say, all part of the charm image

• I disagree also-ran. Many, maybe most, folk will have targeted this event for many months and fully expect everything to be clear and well-organised. Personally, I`m glad it was a B race for me.

Judith - I was 3.56.20 so might have finished very close to you. I ran the last bit with my little girl which was magical!

• I'm not saying it is right, but I've been in very few marathons where markers are exact (only London), or where something has not gone 100%.  It was a little tongue in cheek ET - do you really think I was laughing when I had to run further than everyone else! Seems to be comon in provincial marathons. Abingdon probably was the slickest, well run for me.

I'm really not sure if having a pacer at the end of a marathon is allowed under UKA rules. I would keep that one quiet. (inserts Tongue in cheek smilley)

• I agree some of the markers were shocking. You can forgive a marker being  on the nearest lamp post and a little bit of distance for not running a race line on a twisty course but I clocked 21.46 garmin miles and i have a well calibrated footpod that takes over if signal is lost. With the tree areas you might expect a bit of corner cutting without a footpod and it being a touch sort or bang on due to not running the race line. 

It does make you wonder if the official measured line cuts all the corners and pavememts etc. 

I was already between .1 and .2 out by half way and didn't know which markers to believe. It almost broke me when mile marker 21 at hpp didn't appear till 21.5 on the garmin. I was polishing the turd for a minute off a pb so a course 2 minutes long is a bit frustrating. Chose it over Chester Which was superb last year. Mistake. 

I forgot how poor the last few miles are down the river. 

That was my 20th and 11 all recent have all been within 5 mins. When corrected for distance clocked all are within 2 1/2 mins. I am qualified I feel to have a little moan about the marker.image

• Sympathies scopey. Glad someone else really dislikes the river miles.

a-r  - points taken and lol at the pacer comment! imageFYI  My A race was at Shrewsbury which had lots of faults. That said I ran very well (for me) and nailed the race. However, I was on the verge of tears at the start line there TBH as we were delayed 20 minutes but, it went well for me, so I forgave and forgot. I just hate these stories of poor `event` organisation done for profit by non-runners and I wonder how badly things need to go wrong before folk are fined or banned from selling races to us. In a 10k it bad, but at 26.2 it ought to be a crime!!!image

• Obviously I meant 26.46.......

i was at Shrewsbury too......

i called it character building..... I was one of the first people to start shouting at the front when they start joking about a little delay!!!! 

I'll never forgot the out-back-out along the river ...... 4 times!! And those nasty little uphill and downhills that were not possible to run! 

• Yeah scopey. I was solid on the Shrews switchbacks but really wanted to jump the wall at Nottingham. It just tells me that the mental readiness is huge - Sunday was `just ` a B race for me so I walked a bit . . image And the hills in Shrewsbury I ate them up. Hopw did your times compare? (I was 7 mins slower at RHM).