Kent Roadrunner Marathon

Comments

• True say Amanda, my 1st so to complete it is something.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I agree Andrew - don't worry about it. You won't be alone image

• Andrew, this will be my first marathon also and whilst I care a little about time I'm going to realistically admit this one's going to be more about experiencing that last 6 miles so as to not hit Amsterdam later this year totally green!
    A seasoned marathon dude who I was chatting to on the plane said something special happens in the last 10k which one should leave for race day....
    that and carb loading/gels sounds good to me!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

This will be marathon #17 for me and every time you experience something 'new'. I agree with not trying anything new but also reinforce the positive imagery that you'll do it! Never doubt that there will be people like you along the route (it's a great small loop anyway!). The UK running community is such a friendly chatty bunch that you'll always find someone to talk to (and I will quite happily talk to anyone!).

• How many are you aiming for this year Emmy, or shouldn't I ask.....

• Andrew - glad I read your post. Welcome to the thread.image  I expect to be walking parts of the last 6-8 miles, so you won't be alone.

Also, I think this course is great for first timers - lots of support, you're never too far from facilities or fuel stations and there will be lots of opportunity to see other runners on the course...so more chance to encourage each other. I say go for it - don't worry about a goal time, just enjoy the experience....If you let us know what running kit you plan to wear on the day, we can shout encouragement if we see you?

Hope everyone's training is going well? We had a deluge of rain yesterday - felt like October!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Life's Too Short wrote (see)

Andrew - glad I read your post. Welcome to the thread.image  I expect to be walking parts of the last 6-8 miles, so you won't be alone.

Also, I think this course is great for first timers - lots of support, you're never too far from facilities or fuel stations and there will be lots of opportunity to see other runners on the course...so more chance to encourage each other. I say go for it - don't worry about a goal time, just enjoy the experience....If you let us know what running kit you plan to wear on the day, we can shout encouragement if we see you?

Hope everyone's training is going well? We had a deluge of rain yesterday - felt like October!

Definitely agree to that image Let us know what you're wearing and we'll be sure to give you some encouragement!

KateF wrote (see)

How many are you aiming for this year Emmy, or shouldn't I ask.....

Umm... Would it be bad to say that i've lost count? Originally it was 10 but it seems to have crept up suddenlyimage What about yourself? Are you running anymore Enigma events where you can lap me? image

• Not really allowed too many this year, as it's my first IM in Oct, but should squeeze in  7 or 8. I am certainly not in lapping form!

• I'm really looking forward to this now. Hoping for nice conditions!

• Thanks all for the support, i will plod round and im looking forward too it pain as well.

• WOOP WOOP!! What a lovely bunch of people you all are!!

It will be my first Marathon too!! I live next door to the wonderful Ian J Berry aka Mr Race Director! and watching him and Sandra inspired me to give it a go!!

I'm now helping out with some of the organising admin too which is brilliant!  I was feeling a bit nervous of racing at the same time as "proper runners" but reading your posts of support and advice has made me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

Can't wait to meet you all, I'll be the one at the back muttering "Ian and Sandra don't make it look this hard!"

HUGS TO ALL!

Amanda XX

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    KateF wrote (see)

Not really allowed too many this year, as it's my first IM in Oct, but should squeeze in  7 or 8. I am certainly not in lapping form!

IM? You're certainly a crazy lady! Which one are you aiming for?

tzruns wrote (see)

WOOP WOOP!! What a lovely bunch of people you all are!!

It will be my first Marathon too!! I live next door to the wonderful Ian J Berry aka Mr Race Director! and watching him and Sandra inspired me to give it a go!!

I'm now helping out with some of the organising admin too which is brilliant!  I was feeling a bit nervous of racing at the same time as "proper runners" but reading your posts of support and advice has made me feel all warm and fuzzy!!

Can't wait to meet you all, I'll be the one at the back muttering "Ian and Sandra don't make it look this hard!"

HUGS TO ALL!

Amanda XX

Amanda - I find just smiling can make the world of difference to your mental state during a marathon. A friend told me to try it and since then I just try to smile throughout. If I keep thinking about how difficult it is my shoulders tend to 'sag' but if I smile - my step feels a lot more 'springy'.

It'd be lovely to see/meet you on the day. I'm not sure what i'll be wearing... possibly a MarathonTalk tee but i've got red hair so you can't miss me!

• I was pondering this while running today - I'd be keen to hear from people who have run this previously - how do you cope (mentally) with the 17 laps...are there any mind tools, etc which can help? I'm just curious. I think for me this will be the greater battle than the physical element.

Thanks!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Life's too short - I tend to focus on the number of laps than miles and then just tick them off like I would miles. I also make 'milestones': 1/3 of the way, 1/2 of the way etc.

Where I struggle I just focus on that lap of just getting to the aid station and picking up a gel/treat/friendly face. This normally helps. I've never done 17 laps before but I hope it won't too bad. My only fear is forgetting to pick up a band - towards the end my mental ability isnt too strong!

• I did this race last year (my first lapped marathon), and found the familiarity comforting, in an odd way. Knowing exactly what is coming means you aren't going to have any nasty surprises. I train to audiobooks, and listened to these during the race as well (hope that's OK, TZ!). Just found myself drifting off into a daze.

Regarding the bands, this wasn't a problem at all. You don't pick up the bands - you start with 16 on your wrists and pull one off each lap, so when you have none left you know you're on your last lap. You really can't miss the buckets so I can't see anyone miscounting.

• Thank you  Emmy and Matt. It is comforting to know. Milestones are a good idea. I'm looking forward to the mental and physical challenge on the day. Want to prove to myself I can do it. I work next to a running track so if I need the mental practice of running laps it isnt too far to go!

Just booked my train tickets for the weekend. Arrive in London (Paddington) at 4.30pm on the Friday...right in the middle of the rush hour, but only £16 for the ticket so can't complain image 

• My first marathon too! Glad I'm not the only virgin!!!

I have been practicing doing laps and yes it has actually been comforting to know what is coming as Matty says, so no surprises and you can plan your pace ahead of hills/downhills etc. Also very reassuring to know that everything is around if you need it and knowing that usually means, well for me anyway, that you don't need it!

Really looking forward to this challenge and to meet everyone, sounds like it is going to be a great day. I can't believe someone on another website that I frequent posted their opinion of this race as being 'boring' ... I say "come and have a go if you think your strong enough"image

• KathyH wrote (see)

... I say "come and have a go if you think your strong enough"image

LOVE IT!!!!

Amanda xx

• MP3 players are permitted, although of course we do ask that you pay attention to those around you. That goes for everybody whether they've got headphones in or not!

We'll have some very speedy runners this year, so just be very aware before making any unexpected changes of direction!

• TZ - will there be music playing at the venue at all (in the cafe or start/finish area?) (sorry this is probably asking way too much, but I find music can give you a lift sometimes)

Kathy - that's a good point. We will prove them wrong I hope!

The many pro's for this race far outweigh  potential monotony of the laps, so I'm looking forward to it....hope this marathon will give me the fitness to get a half marathon pb in the autumn & like Cable on this thread I'm running a leg of an event called the 'Welsh Castle's Relay' the following weekend.

Hope training is going well for everyone. Have a good weekend all...another bank holiday round the corner after this image

• Thanks, TZ. If you see a guy running whilst giggling to himself, it will be me listening to Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington.

MUST be disciplined and not try to follow the speedy runners at the start. I need sub-3:05 for London GFA and that will require me to pace myself!

15 days to go!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I prefer not to run with an MP3 when I'm with a lot of other runners in such a 'close' area.I dont want to run the risk of not hearing someone faster trying to come up behind me. I think it's just courtesy but know that a lot of people struggle to run without it.

I've booked my travel and will be getting up at 3.30am to get there on time. So if you see someone with an IV of coffee - that's meimage

• LTS - unfortunately the venue is not permitted to broadcast music due to its planning agreement and sensitivity with its neighbours (they were there before Cyclopark!).

Personally I would not run a race with headphones but, as long as people with them concentrate on those around them then there should not be an issue.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    one of the best things about the race last year was all the encouragement being offered by the other runners when overtaking / being overtaken. It really spurred me on during the tough times. I`m not sure that you would get the benifit of this if you were wearing headphones.

Unfortunatley I will not be running this year, due to promising myself a rest during May but this was one of the best runs I have done and the organisation is the best I have seen.
  • That's really very kind of you Millsy1977, thank you.

I agree that lap format does encourage a lot of banter between runners. It's not often that those at both ends of the results (and in between) get to see one another often in a race. They do at Kent Roadrunner and that generates a nice positive atmosphere. I agree that wearing headphones does mean missing out a little on that.

• TZ - Had to laugh at your comment about planning permission and the neightbours. The path alongside the Cyclopark used to be the hard shoulder of the A2!

I'm in agreement with you about headphones, when I run on my own I always have my headphones in however when I race or run with the club my music is left at home. Having said that I may bring them with me on the day and start listening after all the speed merchants have finished and I'm still on my first lap! (I expect that I'll be about halfway by the time the speedsters finish!)

• GFB - That's an excellent point about the old A2 noise!!! Still, we must comply with the rules. image