Kent Roadrunner Marathon

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ok - another stupid late question.

Hubby doesnt like the idea of getting up at 3am to get to Kent so wants to travel over the night before. Does anyone know any hotels in the local area? I'm trying to look at the cost difference.

• TZ / Amanda - Will there be lockers or a baggage storage area in the centre on the day & if lockers what money do they take? I have a couple of bags including a small daysack as I'm visiting family for a few days afterwards, but wont have access to a car boot to store these things....hope that makes sense? Thanks.

Hope everyone had a good bank holiday weekend? Forecast is looking good for Saturday...if you trust the BBC!

Ed - you're right there, I can't really taper either! image

Well done to everyone for making it this far. I can see a few of us are a bit apprehensive/worried about whether our training will see us through on the day to the end, so will definitely look forward to supporting everyone - Adam, Tom, Andrew, Ed, Emmy, Kathy, Diesel Girl, Cable, etc. Sorry If I've missed anyone.

Ran 11 on Saturday and felt I could have gone on a lot longer, so know mentally I can get to the 16-17 mile mark. Just hope it doesnt get too hot on the day and there is some shade.

See you on Saturday!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Life's too short - It'll be lovely to see you. What is everyone wearing so we can try to identify each other? I'll probably be in a Marathon Talk Shirt (26.2). It's black and i've got red hair... not too hard to miss!

I've had a look on the FAQ section of the website and i couldnt see any mention of the baggage storage but I thought that there was some there.

• EH - thanks. just seen your earlier post - there may still be rooms at the Dartford Travelodge? I think it's only 6 or so miles from the race start. Hope you get acommodation sorted ok the night before. It is an early start.

Will look out for you Saturday. I'm wearing same as Cable a green 3M's vest. Probably my red castles relay hat & not sure on the shorts yet - shoes are blue & pink - bit of a clash there!! image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks Life's too short: It's 73 quid a night so i'll have to check. I was ideally looking for something cheaper (running every weekend means I need to look at the cheapest options).

• EH - ****!!! £73 quid a night is rediculous for a Travelodge - I think I got in early & managed to get a saver room for £25. Hope you find somewhere.

Running a race every weekend is quite something!

• Hi there - am staying at the Gravesend travelodge the night before but I imagine it's full by now?  I'm happy to store anyone's stuff in the boot of my car (I have a bootcover so it should be safe).  I'm not quite sure what I'll be wearing on race day yet - my lucky outfit didn't really work in London so I think I need to try something new!  I'll be driving a grey mini with a nuun sticker on the back and am called Petra (should I be saying this on here?) and blog at http://petraruns.wordpress.com so there's photos of me on there.  This is not a plug - no need to read - but if you would like to avail yourself of my storage facilities check out my latest post with photo and connect with me through my blog?  Am getting very very excited about this weekend but who knows how it will go... 

• Hi Emmy

I just had a quick look and there are rooms available at the Premier Inn, Singlewell or The Best Western Hotel next door to it. They are £83 and £82 respectively. The one advantage of both of these is that you can walk to Cyclopark from them, it's about a mile. I expect that they've got wind that there's an event at Cyclopark and prices are higher than they would normally be. In fact, the same room at The Premier Inn for 28th June is £50!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Dieselgirl - I'll try to remember your face! image Just remember to keep smiling and have positive happy thoughts and everything will go fine!

Gary - thanks for that. I'm having a look around and there are some B&Bs that might work for us (as we're arriving quite late) so we'll see!

I'm really looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you. For those who stick around to 5ish hours - i'll be the one with a beer in my hand image

• Hi everyone.

Very excited, can't believe it's only a few days a way, have lost a day with the bank holiday and with it being on a Saturday instead of a Sunday makes it seem even sooner!!! All good though image I have only been training for about 20 weeks, so if I'm not ready now, I will never be!

Emmy - I'm staying in the Dartford Premier Inn which I still managed to get for about £37 when the Gravesend one had gone up to £73, though that was some time ago. It may have doubled in price by now too, but could be worth a try. Hope you get something reasonable.

If anyone's up for meeting to eat on Friday evening I am planning on The Beefeater Restaurant where I'm staying but may be happy to drive elsewhere if others are getting together.

I think I'll be wearing my 'bespoke' red and purple vest (has my name printed on the front and some other writing on the back!), probably black shorts and black and pink running shoes, I'm number 255. Is it worth saying we could meet somewhere like the cyclocafe at a certain time, either on arrival or once we've all registered?

I can't remember who but someone a little way back was asking about laps/bands etc. After a lot of thought I have decided to definately run with my Garmin and have it set as I always have to mile pace. I want to be sure of my pace all the way round and not just at every lap, just in case I whizz off way too fast with all the adrenalin! I will wear a pacing band as well just incase the Garmin decides to pack up or malfunction! I like the idea of giving away a wrist band every lap but I can't go with all 3 systems so although they are recommended, personally I'm going to give those a miss.

Looking forward to meeting you all! See you soon image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

TZ/Amanda - can you recommend somewhere for us to meet on Saturday morning?

thank you to all of you who have come up with accommodation ideas - am going through them all at the moment.

kathy - you can keep track by the fluorescent bands (I've seen on the website). I want to get their early for the best choice of coloursimage

• Hi, All

Emmy H - I think someone has already mentioned the Premier Inn. They are the closest hopefully you can get a good deal.

LTS - There are lockers available at Cyclopark (I think they take a £1 coin)and there will also be secure storage organised by us.

Emmy H - I would suggest meeting in the The Pavilion at Cyclopark is the main building. The Cyclocafe is here as well as the changing rooms, so this would be a great place to meet up.

XX

• TZ - thanks. 

Emmy - hope you can get the accommodation booked ok.

Kathy - enjoy the Beefeater. (& thanks for the offer of meeting up for food). I might settle with a pot of pasta in my room, TV & a good book. Don't read much at home - get too distracted!

you are right the time has flown & the bank holiday fooled me a bit too! Well done for the training -  20 weeks is good preparation for a marathon - you'll do fine on the day.

See you all at the cyclopark pavillion image

Thanks for all the advice/support/encouragement on here too - it's been great.

Cheers, Michelle

• Hey all, really nice to read all the positive and encouraging comments on here about this race. To be quite honest I was a bit apprehensive as I signed up for it when I got back from the Paris marathon in April to ambitiously try GFA for london 2014 (then they lowered it by 5 mins) and found out it was a lapathon after.

Anyway apprehensions aside, with all you great folk doing it I'm now really looking forward to it, it's going to be epic! Go  us... Also I am a sucker for a Phat medal, woohoo!!! Good luck everyone and see you Saturday.

P.S. quick question TZ, I've booked a b and b in gravesend on Milton Road, how long would you estimate to drive to the cyclodrome from there?

• Looking forward to seeing you all outside the pavilion place on Saturday morning.  Knowing me I'll be there bright and early (7:30 ish - will anything be open?) after waking up at 5 to have my breakfast.  Outfits are being narrowed down to ninja options - black - but will probably be wearing blight blue running hat.  Thanks Emmy for the follow and the encouragement - am really ready to do this thing now! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

thanks all! Am going to make sure that I confirm it today. Hubby said if we do get up early - he'll sleep in the car!

dieselgirl- it's a pleasure! I'm also another one who likes to be there early so I'll probably be there early. Am aiming for ninja style as well (black capris or full length) and a black top.

john - I think you might actually enjoy the laps - you've got nothing 'unknown' coming up. 

Im so excited for the medal that I'm going to wear it on Saturday night and look like Mr.T!

• John

The drive from Milton Road to Cyclopark will take you no more than 10 minutes, probably less.

• Nice one Gary, thanks for the info, I can't imagine the traffic will be deadly on a Saturday morning. Really excited... Gonna do last little run today and then rest til Saturday.

Had a dream last night that the insole in my shoe was all ruffled right at the start line and I knew I was going to get a massive blister and my other shoes were in the car, aaargh! Does anyone else have weird and silly dreams before a big race like this???

I hope everyone's feeling fine and we can mostly stay blister free!

• john low 12, that's funny image glad to hear I'm not the only one with the weird dreams!

Have you read my 'dream' post back on page 9, 24/05?

Feeling fine thanks, ready to go for it!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

It seems to be the days for weird dreams! Is anyone planning on putting out personal drinks/items or just taking the water on offer?

• The stuff they have on offer is great as they have Clif as a sponsor but I'm used to SiS Go gels so am going to bring a table to slap like 5 gels on and maybe a couple of bottles of lucozade sport just to be carbed up to the max as I think that staves the wall off and nobody likes the wall...

• Hi all, looking forward to this run with excitment and trepidation image

I missed the closing date and entered via the wait list. I was really pleased to gain a place but only after I should have been on taper, lol. I had given up on entry and had switched to shorter stuff 5 & 10k, so haven't done much above 13.1miles since running a marathon in January, so hopefully I will be ok to half way, then it's fingers crossed time!!!

• JPAkto image well done for getting in on the waiting list. At least you've kept fitness levels up by continuing to race & train. Try and make it to 16, then mentally you're over half way. image Like you I haven't done many longer runs, but a few at 13 miles, so hope that determination & support on the day will get me round the final few laps.

Emmy - I was going to bring a small clear plastic bag labelled with a  bottle of homemade sports drink (squash + pinch of salt) & a spare pair of socks. Wont have a table with me, so hoping I can leave it somewhere on the course. 

Not had any wierd dreams about this race yet but they are very strange/vivid - wont give away any details on here! Must be getting lots of the deep REM sleep & will hopefully wake recovered at 5am on Saturday image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Life's too short - there are tables there for everyone to use (i read in the instructions) so shouldnt be too difficult to leave it somewhere. I'd recommend making sure that it's REALLY colourful and eye catching so you can identify yours.

I once mistakingly took someone else's drink instead of my own because they all looked very similar image

I've changed my profile picture and you should be able to 'see' me a little better!

• Right Emmy - should be able to spot you now!  Been checking the weather - looks like a light wind and maybe even some sun at some point? So I think I WILL be in the running ninja outfit of capris and a black top with my blue hat.  

I'm carrying my gels in my fuel belt and using the water on site and hoping that works.  Was thinking of bringing my ipod with one earbud in for the last 6 miles - have never raced with an ipod before but think it might get me through the tough spot.  Any thoughts on that anyone?  

otherwise see you Saturday morning bright and early !

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Dieselgirl - personally I don't like to run with one because I like to hear other runners especially the faster ones coming up behind me. If all else fails -i'll be singing around 20 miles. I'll be wearing a black puma hat probably as well as Black Capri's. I think i'll be packing three different sets of clothes and see on the day!

As for meeting up - i'll probably be there a little earlier but faffing around so 8/8.15 in the Pavillion?

• Emmy H - i'll listen out for the the singing runner image 

DG - Weather sounds good. Great for spectators too.

Will keep a lookout for you both on the day.

Hope everyone has a safe journey up/down to Gravesend. See you 8am ish Saturday morning.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Lifes too short - I've been told that my rendition of: always look on the bright side of life is something unique at 18 milesimage

Have a safe journey to everyone. I'll still be online until tomorrow night if anyone wants to have pre-race jitters with me!

• Thanks LTS, I'm sure we'll muddle through, just hopefully the last few laps won't be too painful!!

I hope all this singing is going to be good and in tune! Don't like wearing ipods etc and I don't like the idea of having to wear earplugs either image

Weather is looking good at the mo, low of 9/10C in the morning rising to about 17C (by which time we hopefully all finished) cloudy with sunny intervals and winds about 10mph. So not bad for June, my worst fears was 25C and windy!!!

Half way through packing now, just waiting for my Garmin to fully charge, then set off tomorrow afternoon.... not long now image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Bugger - I just lost all of my post.

JPAtko - where did you read that report? I read cloudy until 12 and then showers In the afternoom.

you can judge my singing and let me knowimage