Loch Ness marathon 2014

Comments

• Took a couple of days off from running during the week, which seems to let my ankle settle down enough to get my last long run in without too much discomfort. So I was pleased with that. Hopefully the taper will help before Milton Keynes.

How did Lochaber go guys?

• Good call on a couple of days rest then Alastair image

I'm coming round to the fact Lochaber was a good run even if I didn't manage sub 4:30. 4:31 is still a PB by over 13 minutes and the rain/wind was pretty bad in places. With better weather am sure it would have been an excellent day image

• Hello, Im in.  Im a newbie, plodder rather than a runner, deffered my London place till 2015 so watched yesterday with pride for everyone and a heavy heart for myself.

Let the training commence..........

• Hi Big Mana. Welcome to the fold. Although I think you're a running if you've signed up for a marathon, whatever you may say!

I really must get round to signing up for this thing. I've done it the last 2 years and it's a great marathon. I'd be gutted if I missed out through being too lazy to sign up.

• Welcome to the insanity Big Mama. Does this mean your joining us for the Loch Ness marathon?

Come on Nothe, I remember you posting for last years event. You'll be missed if you don't sign up.

• I'm in and looking forward to it.

Training not going as planned, having a few issues with my right heel due to Haglunds but hopefully now I've cut the hard plastic out of the heel in my running shoes, I've found a method that will keep the mileage increasing.

• Yes im in!  Just gentle joging at the moment, I have a 10K 11th May but I have the Kiltwalk at the end of April so Im walking as much as I can.

Thank you for the lovely welcome and I look forward to chatting with you all!

• That's me signed up as well. Going to be my first marathon, bit worried already about it already image

• Hi Big Mama and Andy image

Loch Ness 2013 was my first marathon and LN 2014 will be my third image There will be plenty of downhill running in this years plan - last year I used the downhill bits for rest rather than pushing things and that came back to bite me in the first 8 or so downhill miles of LN.

• So you think start a little faster on the downhill so I can struggle up the hill near the end? Much prefer downhill running so I look forward to adding that to my training plan. 

Have you all entered Clan Wars! 

• thinking about doing this with a few from work, just a couple of questions,when does this normally sell out? and are the inclines quite bad?

• You should be ok for a while yet, before entry closes. The course is mostly down hill for the first 10 miles. (Enough to test your quads quite hard) then there are a few undulations. At 18 miles there is quite a long uphill stretch the you dropdown into Inverness. 

It has a really good atmosphere and is quite unusual being bussed out to the middle of nowhere for the start. You then run back to where you started. 

Come and join the party

• fantastic,sounds brilliant,cheers Alastair. i dont mind the hills,i train on them and actually enjoy them,1 of the lads thinking of running was a little put off with the thought of a hilly course but that doesnt sound too bad, let the fun begin image

• boothy, it might not sound bad but after 18 miles the 2 mile hill out of Dores will sap your strengthimage

It's actually a negative incline but don't be fooledimage

• It's a gorgeous course and well worth doing. Great atmosphere, reasonable size without being crowded and a lovely finish along the river.

• I've done this race 3 times before and doing it again this year! it's a great race! 

going to start training for t on the 8th of June. 16 weeks out! giving myself a rest period till then! 

Aye that hill is the make or break hill! Last time out 2013 it broke me! stopped me dead with cramps and took all my will power! 

gonna be different this year though! 

what sort of times are everyone hoping for??

Boothy- It's a cracking race to do! and hopefully if you stick on this page you'll get some really good tips!

• Hi. My hubby and I have signed up - we did it back

In 2009. Getting into the training now. Looking forward to it,

Remember the hill at 19/20 miles, and the rest of the hills!

Thoroughly enjoyed it but nearly 50 now so will be slower than

the 4hrs 33 mins last time. Looking forward to hearing everyones

training. Met a few folk on the actual run last time, which was great.
  • Nearly 50 sheesh? sounds like a good target for you would be a sub 4:30 this time out? That will most likely be my target and will be 55 by thenimage

• I'll see how the training goes Andi. Don't want to put too much pressure on myself. Would be delighted with sub 4:30 though.
  • Yup, good idea to wait and see how the training goesimage

I was going for a 4:30 at Lochaber a couple of weeks ago and struggled with the weather and a stitch ending up with 4:41 so going for it this time image

Oh, will be 'racing' booktrunk as well so it should be fun as she is already faster than me with a marathon looming to try and pull further ahead.

• I have two targets 1st is sub 4, and if that's not possible 2nd if to make it to the finish line aliveimage all depends on how the training goes and how I feel on the day which one I go for.

• I'm aiming for sub 4. It'll be my 3rd time running LN; 4:20 on my first go, 4:11 on my second. Hopefully it's time for a sub 4 if everything goes well image

• thanks Rich i will, i've decided to go ahead and do it image leaving Chester this year. To be honest i wasn't really thinking of a time with it being a course i know little about and also was just thinking of trying to enjoy it more than clock watching on this 1. Just done London in 3.49 and Chester last year in 3.54, got Liverpool in 5 weeks so although it would be nice to go under 4 at Loch Ness i'll just be happy to get as close to it as possible and enjoy what sounds to be a really fantastic race image

• I find loch ness okay to run as what you go up you must come down the other side! everyone always remembers the hills but never mention all the downhill sections lolimage

I'm off to work in Africa and don't have anywhere to run! So will start training when I get back. looking for a sub 3:10 after a 3:14 in Lochaber. -That was half an hour off my Lochness time from last year! Trying for a Boston qualifier! image

Looking forward to hearing all the ups and downs of the training!

What training plans are all using?? I'm going for a modified RW's Sub 3:15. only going to change the pacing to suit my slower target. did this for Lochaber and it worked a treat.

Boothy- you'll be fine! you might shock yourself! your used to the marathon distance now and if your committed to a 16 week schedule you should get sub 3:45 no probs.

Nothe, Andy- You'll get the sub 4!

Andi- the weather was terrible at Lochaber. will be better this time round! sub 4:30 for you!!

Sheesh- I did it that year too! 2009. that was my last P.B till 2 weeks ago! 5 years chasing a P.B and finally getting it was great! you'll do the same this year! good luck!

Alistair- looking forward to the party!! confidence is the key!

Got a P.B as such in the park run today? 19:52 but turned up late for the start so started about half a mile to a mile behind! so don,t know what their clock says? going to be a PW by a long way! great stuff! all part of the fun of it!

going for a longish run tomorrow to keep the legs going! 

going to be a cracking summer to train! 

• I'm going Hal Higdon's novice schedule. Builds up nicely over 18 weeks. Used it last time. It worked for me.
  • sounds good sheesh, keep us all updated!

• Txs Rich and yes, the weather was terrible but (strangely) I didn't notice it until mile 15 when I got my stitch and started to feel bad so guess much of it is in your head?

sheesh, am still undecided but will probably follow my bastardised Hal Higdon does HADD training plan - basically doing the daily miles and especially LSR mileage of Higdon but following the HADD phase one approach (if that makes senses?). 

• Andi- imagepretty noticeable the last mile when I got blown off my feet! 

yeah I guess that you have to tweak other programs to suit what you can do yourself! I'm bad for taking an extra rest day!image going to try the same program this time but try and get slightly quicker reps and steady runs in!

Everyone got thier hotels booked for inverness? think I'm a fair walk away about a mile and a half! 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Andi (who might have to run over some accidentally dropped screws) I'd love to get 4:29 in Milton Keynes, will give you a little more focus. 

Time to put the treadmill away and get your game face onimage 

• Fighting talk Steph!

As for the screws, I'm only a wannabe barefoot runner and might (just might) do the last 10k barefoot if training goes well.

Rich, I may well do Lochaber again next year as although the weather was bad I really enjoyed it there. As for the Hotel I'm leaving that to the OH as I messed up last time and spent the eve of LN in... well... basically a hut!

For those thinking of the pasta party at registration you should do it for the atmosphere however I had mine around 4pm and wasn't really a carb load.