Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• RR - I must be stalking you!  I also did Tatton last year (and PB'd so it's now my favourite HM of all time) and am running Wilmslow HM on Sunday - weather permitting of course!   Helsby HM was snowed off in January - I don't want it to happen again this weekend!  Can't believe we're talking about snow at Wilmslow though - last year it was so warm runners were dropping like flies.  Good luck on the day!

I hope I've turned the corner with my long catalogue of injuries at last, and hopefully can now claw my way back to marathon fitness.  I PB's in the St Annes 10 miler last weekend after not running all week since the Stafford 20 the Sunday before, and although I haven't been able to pack much into this week either (managed pilates, some short intervals and will be running a few more miles before Sunday) I'm quietly optimistic for Wilmslow.  Just hoping I've still got enough long runs in the bank so to speak to get me through.

The big day is getting closer though isn't it.  Single figures in weeks now.....

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Rockinrobin and good luck for your half on Sunday.  What time are you hoping for?

• RP - The nearest tram stop for the football ground is Old Trafford (formerly Warwick Road) but you could just as easily get off at Trafford Bar as the starting line falls between the 2, dependent on whether you've got any bags etc to drop off. There's nothing on the website about free tram travel but I'm sure that was the case last year and it may be mentioned in the bumpf when it gets sent out nearer the time. I guess the Metrolink gestapo will be out in force for a change checking for tickets from spectators. Tram travel was free to OT during the Olympic Football.

GAZOC - Carb loading is probably the wrong word. I've noticed that I'm not eating enough carbs and having upped my levels it has made a performance difference. I guess I'm practicing for the big day as I'm not a massive pasta fan, in the same way that I'll probably take a few gels with me to Wilmslow. I don't need them but it will be good practice to get used to using them and drinking during a "proper" race. That said I am becoming very fond of peanut butter and banana smoothies, just better not start singing "Jail House Rock" while in the bathroom image

AUNTIE N - Same as you, being cautious but hoping the mileage so far from Jan-Mar will see me through. I trained specifically for Tatton and got a much better time than I hoped for but this time around it's another 13 miles to tick off more than anything else but carried out in racing conditions. Sounds like the parking could be a struggle so get there nice and early on Sunday

SALLYMAX - No worries, my PB is 1:50 so anywhere around that would be great and I'd be happy to come in under 2 hours the way I've been running recently. I'm not trying to set myself too tight a time goal in the same way that for Manchester I'm happy to get round for my first marathon

• Ah thanks RR....I might just get off at Trafford bar then, near Seymore Grove isn't it?  I won't be needing the bag drop off.

I try to limit my carbs really, but I can really tell a difference if I don't eat enough.  I got up and ran 10 miles on  an empty stomach the other morning and felt fine, but I had a decent tea the night  before.  I know from experience if I had eaten something really light, then I just don't have the energy in the bank and end up running out of steam.  I agree that it is a good opportunity to practise these things though.

Best of luck to you for Wilmslow to you and AN

Panda

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Hmmm, peanut butter and banana smoothie - must try that one!

• I don't like the sound of that one....however....Reese's Peanut butter cups..take some beating!

• Redpanda wrote (see)

Ah thanks RR....I might just get off at Trafford bar then, near Seymore Grove isn't it?  I won't be needing the bag drop off.

I try to limit my carbs really, but I can really tell a difference if I don't eat enough.  I got up and ran 10 miles on  an empty stomach the other morning and felt fine, but I had a decent tea the night  before.  I know from experience if I had eaten something really light, then I just don't have the energy in the bank and end up running out of steam.  I agree that it is a good opportunity to practise these things though.

Best of luck to you for Wilmslow to you and AN

Panda

Cheers for that. Must admit for the bulk of my runs other than the LSR it's a case of getting out of bed, get the running kit on, quick stretch and off I go with no more than a slurp of drink, I've only really thought about it for the longer runs given the way I was feeling toward the end of them and the fact that I'm running them slower and using up more energy over time

I struggle with breakfast at the best of times so a smoothie and some toast or a cereal bar will do me on Sunday morning

There is a chance that Wilmslow could get cancelled. The parking is limited given the inclement weather and they are now worried that and snow or ice over the next couple of days might make it dangerous.

If that's the case I'll probably still go out for a run locally once things have warmed up a bit and try and get at least 13 miles in to ensure the training plan is still on course. Fingers crossed

• Morning!

Hi RR, yes, I agree with you.  I am not a breakfast eater either...I normally have a banana mid morning and that's it, but on LSR day I have two slices of thick white toast and maybe a banana and some sweets and I need it.  I think a lot depends on what you have eaten the night before, so I try to have a decent amount of carbs the night before....I am not a huge pasta lover, but I do like risotto, so a big plate of that seems to work.

Ah, that would be a shame about Wilmslow, but as you say, you will get a refund presumably, and can just stay close to home and go on a 13 mile run, you won't miss out, it's just a shame I suppose you won't get to see your progress in a race.  Better than risking slipping on snow or ice in a race though!

Good luck though xx

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big breakfast eater either. Still trying to work out what I prefer on lsr day! Normally just have some fruit n fibre or some toast and jam!

Just done my lsr for this weekend. None forecast down here but it looks horrendous in the north west!

I was supposed to be going to Coventry this afternoon for an overnight meeting but its been cancelled cos of forecast snow.

RRR if Wilmslow is on I hope you have a great time.

Take care everyone. We don't want any injuries at this stage!
  • cybarev wrote (see)
    RRR if Wilmslow is on I hope you have a great time.
    Take care everyone. We don't want any injuries at this stage!

Cheers for that, it's not looking too bad, grey and overcast and a little chilly but no snow. Injuries would be my main concern and at the risk of jinxing myself (he says touching his wooden desk), the lack of a LSR this week has allowed me to recharge a little and I feel quite positive about Sunday, regardless of what run I'm doing and I've not got any stiffness or niggles to speak of

Back to it after Sunday and we'll see how the next 18 miles pans out compared to the previous ones

• RR - saw the message on the website about Wilmslow parking (or lack of it) this morning.  I imagine we'll have to be there at the crack of dawn to get close!  Like you I'm touching wood (or a very nicely laminated wood-substitute desk in my case) for a cold, crisp but not snowy or icy Sunday... 

Would your smoothie work with double peanut butter instead of the banana?  Having said that I'd then be going for a waddle instead of a run so I'll stick to my porridge thanks! 

Panda - Reese's peanut butter cups?  Heaven on earth but alas heavyweight on my hips.  I'll just dream....

• ...Ah but Auntie...isn't that we run marathons?  to EAT?  Maybe that's just meimage

• Slokey Joe. Sorry I've just seen your message about the stress fracture. I was actually out of action for 10 weeks in total. I was on crutches for a couple of weeks and then I started cycling followed by some very tentative treadmill running towards the very end of my recovery. So frustrating not being outdoors!

This was back in 2011 when I was training for Brighton. I'd had niggles in my foot which I chose to ignore and had bagged my 20 miler. Then the following week I went out on a 10 mile run and it was painful and bruised at the point of pain. My physio told me to get checked out at the hospital and have an X-ray done. Although the doctor said that stress fractures don't necessarily show up on an X-ray he managed to pinpoint the exact area of pain in my foot and told me I had a stress fracture and to stop running straight away. So I had to pull out

I feel so much stronger in my marathon training this time around and with the 20 miler done now I'm happy to say I'm injury free!

I'd say don't ignore the pain like I did and don't start running too soon (I tried that a couple of times!) Hope everything goes ok for you.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lass! 10 weeks.... Eek.

My foot has improved a lot over the past week (hopefully it wasn't fractured at all) but still a bit sore to walk on so not near to chancing a run yet. I'll take your guidance seriously re not rushing it. Off to Paris for a week in a couple of days so I won't take my running shoes to keep temptation at bay. More swimming and biking than normal for a while methinks.

Good luck to you in Manchester. After a rough spell, the campaigns that go well are all the sweeter.
  • SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Redpanda - love Reece's peanut butter cups!!!

Now, a little advice if anyone can...I've had a slightly sore Achilles (to touch), left leg, for a few weeks now, doesn't affect my running and once I've done a couple of miles barely bothers me.  However, my left leg definitely feels different to my right.  A bit achey sometimes, and just well weaker I suppose.  Do I soldier on thinking "it will be ok" and I think it will, or do I attend the physio appointment I've just made, shell out £45 for them, no doubt, to tell me I need a course of treatment???  Difficult (well, I think so, but maybe it's not) cos how do I know I need really to see someone...or am I just being tight!!

• Have you got a foam roller Sally? That'll probably sort it out.

• Sally, had exactly the same problem with my achilles after some long hill running.  The condition has been with me for over a week.  I generally run trails however and now as soon as I hit the trail surfaces after the road run in, I feel fine, albeit with an ankle support.  I appreciate our musings here will never supercede professional advice but with  the date looming we're perhaps looking for the allternative therapy!

Perhaps a change of surface may help.

• I've had sore achilles very similar to how you describe Sallymax for at least the last six months now - in both legs. It started when I increased the mileage significantly whilst training for my last marathon. I don't think it has really hampered me as such - it just a pain that is tolerable. It goes when I reduce the mileage. I find it can be releived by massage and "rotating" my foot - sit down, raise your foot off the floor, and move it in a circular movement for a few minutes - its seems to relieve pressure around the tendon. Hope this helps Sallymax - I'm no expert but it's just my experince for what its worth.

By the way, are we all enjoiying this snow ? - a 20 miler in it tomorrow for me - should be "fun".....

• Sally - I too had an achilles niggle the other week, and had a sports massage which sorted it out.  Having said that it was 30 minutes of pure pain and you could hear my screams in the next county...  Cheaper than a physio and if you're lucky with the person (we've got a brilliant one who's a runner herself) you can often get just as thorough a session.  Not wanting to upset any physios here, who do fantastic jobs and I couldn't praise highly enough when I did my first marathon, but it may be a cheaper option if you're on a budget.

• HI everyone

Sorry, I have no experience of achillies injuries (thankfully) so I can't really help.  I know that when I had a bad hip though, I found a brilliant sports physio who operated at a sports centre.  I was sceptical, but I saw her twice (I think about £30 a time, but a few years back now), and that was enough.  I did the excercises that she advised as well as the stretches she showed me, so two sessions with that were enough.  I couldn't recommend her any better, it was brill.  LOL...the pain of the massage was 10 times worse than childbirth though...and I did that without pain relief!

Did my 15 miles today...it wasn't great.  Yesterday was worse weather mind you, quite a lot worse.  It was the cold and biting wind that did me in today...I was running in the country and  by a lot of open fields etc, that were very exposed.  In honesty, it could have been worse...as it was only snowing lightly, and unless the wind was right in my face, it wasn't "that" bad.  Saying that, I was still cold and so pleased to get it over with.

What's going on with Wilmslow then?  Is it still on or is it cancelled?  I can't believe at this time of year we are up against this...and they don't reckon it's going to end any time soon either....sigh...image

Panda

• Wilmslows still on, apparently theres not much snow there. Its been very bad on the N Wales/ Chester border and I've missed my first days running since the end of December.

• SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for advice and thoughts.  Still undecided about the appointment but reckon I won't regret going for at least one appointment but may regret not going!  I've been doing heel drops from a step and this does help - I'm so lazy with exercises like that though.

Well done for the 15 miler Redpanda.  No snow down here but very cold.  I've got 20 miles to do tomorrow morning (have never run that far!) and am going to attempt first 10 miles at 10 minute miles then last 10 at 9 minutes - we'll see how that goes...

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Sallymax, how are you at standing on one leg? Is your weaker one more wobbly? Can you still do it with your eyes closed and not fall over? If your leg feels weaker than the other as you've described you could probably do with some single leg work as above, single leg squats and glute exercises like clams or leg raises. If your glutes are weak, the whole chain down your leg doesn't function properly and your lower leg can take an undue amount of strain as you run. Plenty of stuff on the internet to look at re glute strength and proprioception exercises.
  • He's right!  My sore hip I mentioned were down to weak glutes, so I do strengthening excercises, still to this day.  It doesn't take long and has prevented it rearing it's ugly head.

Sally...Are you a running club member?  If so, then someone there should be able to recommend a good sports physio?  TBH, what I did was to email a running club (I wasn't a member) and just ask them if they knew anyone good in the area, as I figured they must need one at some point.  They were only too glad to help, and the chairman, or whatever you call them (!) emailed me a list of about half a dozen in the area and I just picked one.  Try it.

Good luck for tomorrow.....I am going to a boot sale!  Not selling but looking for stuff!  Saying that, at this rate it won't be on.  Other than that I have an NCT sale to go to, looking for baby bargains.  After that will try and do a short run....would love a nice day of weather, but I doubt I will get it.

Panda

• We've had more snow over night and I'm meant to be doing a 20miler today. The pavements are covered. Don't know whether to put it back a day or two to see if the pavements clear.

Friday nights 12 miler was enough for me. I hate this weather.
  • Jedwards - put it back I would. A couple of days won't make much difference.
  • SJ -yes ease off the running for now I would.Ignoring the pain like I did is not a wise move!

I'm getting nervous now.....just chuffed that the 20 miler is done and dusted. image
  • SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Thanks again for more advice.  I'll check out standing on one leg when I can be bothered to get up from the sofa!!  20 miler done this morning, average pace 9.48 for 1st 10, then 9.30 for 2nd 10 so pretty chuffed with that.  Desperate for a cream egg in the kitchen but can't even be bothered to get up for that.

I am also nervous northern lass. Have you done a marathon before?

Oh, and remembered whilst running that a chiropracter I saw years ago said one of my legs was slightly shorter than the other (?) so I guess that could have something to do with one leg aching more than the other.

Also remembered whilst out this morning Redpanda's comment about childbirth without pain relief - respect to you indeed!!!

• Sallymax - well done on your run this morning. Wow and great pace too!

No this will be my first marathon. I've run lots of HMs in the past but this is a whole new beast to me!

Guess I'm scared of hitting this 'wall' that people talk about so much! Has anyone experienced that?!

I just want to finish on my own two legs!
  • SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Yes and me too.  What is this "wall" and what happens?  Are you hoping for a time (secretly of course - finishing it will be fine!) . . .