Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Oh dear, hit a real low point. haven't run since wednesday, just havent been able to get out because of work, family etc and my mojo seems to have slipped. Got to get out today so i dont blow all the months of hard work. 

Beautiful day today going to go round my favourite 7mile route to take in some countryside and fresh air. 

Have a good week everyone.

• Andrew Warrender wrote (see)
    Sam as you know I'm also targeting 3:45 and Saturday morning completed Half marathon in 1:48:35 which was a slightly better (13 seconds) than two weeks before London last year where I got 3:47:51

Too close to call then I guess. I'm sure you'll do it though - this is a very flat course which must be worth a few minutes. Just checked my watch and my last run was 1:48:50 so you're 15 seconds up on me! Might try to knock a minute or two off my HM time this week.

• Cybarev - This should be the exciting part mate, nearly done with all the training and only a week and 6 days away.  get yourself out and get yourself zoned in on the targetimage

No news on carter yet, hope he managed to nail his trainng run.  I fear no news might not be good news though....

Knocked off 26 miles over the weekend and another 5 this morning with strides.  Hardly felt like taper so far but it will from here.  I have 3 rest days now in the next 5 days and then only 12 miles on Sunday.  Body should be starting to freshen up and mend nicely over this week image

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭
    SB - I'm afraid you're right. The knee is still playing up and I can only manage 2.5 miles before the pain starts. So I won't be running Manchester unfortunately.

Sounds like everyone else is running quite nicely but with a bit of taper madness kicking in about have I run enough miles in training, I feel tired on my short runs during taper, worries about the weather etc. Try and stay positive and trust in the training
  • !i would like to go out on a 20 mile run tomorrow on Tuesday 16th. I have been a regular runner since last Spetember when I started weekly Parkrunning. I decided to do the Marathon at the beginning of February. My weekly routine since Feb has been training at my local club (East Cheshire Harriers) on Tues and Thurs which is mainly 2 or 5 minute intervals around the track for an hour at a time, Parkrun Saturdays (now down to 19.48 with 10k at 40.48) then long run Sundays. My long runs have built up from 10 miles to 18 miles, for the longer runs I've done 2 lots of 16 and 1 lot of 18 all at about 8.30 to 9 pace. Given that I've only really been doing the longer stuff beyond 5k and 10k training since February I wasn't sure whether a three/four week taper is necessary. I'd like to fit in a 20 miler tomorrow then take it easy up to race day, this'll be a good confidence booster but was unsure if it would allow me enough time to recover over the next 12 days, I'd  be going a minute slower than race pace, say 9min miles so I'd of thought so, but the often quoted requirement for a three/four week taper has put a little doubt in my mind.

Thanks in advance and good luck to anybody else running on the day!

• Carter- I'm a bit of a newbie here but just wanted to say I'm gutted for u! Best to get urself right tho... Maybe u could do the Chester one in October...?
  • Carter - I'm not suprised but totally gutted for you man.  Really hard to take being your first.  I presume this will just strengthen your resolve though?  Have you had a chance to think about when you might dust yourself down and give it another shot?

• Ah dear, so sorry Carter.....image.  I hope you recover quickly.  It must be really annoying for you, but hopefully you will be back on your feet before too long, and you don't really have any choice but to withdraw.  Will they let you defer at this stage or will you lose your place/cash?  I have seen quite a few people selling places on here for various marathons...I know it's naughty but I have seen itimage!

Cyb...Not to worry, I have missed more runs this time round than I care to remember, but you will be ok on the day.  hell, if I can do it anyone can!  It's all just ticking over anyway now really so you should be ok.

High Oogles....Well, I am having a shorter taper too...I did 21 miles on Friday, which is later than most people would do it.  I don't know about Tuesday though, it might be cutting it a bit fine? Plus, I have done quite a few marathons (though I am loads slower than you by the sounds of it!).  I would personally maybe do 16 miles on Tuesday?   At least it is a reasonable length run, but it shouldn't take as much out of you as a 20 miler.  Someone else might have different advice.  Different people seem to recover quicker than others and only you will know how quickly you will recover.

SB...Same for me....21 on Friday and 5 on Saturday, makes my weekend runs a marathon distance too!  I just did 10 this morning...whoo hooo, I even wore a vest for the first time this year!  That wind is still annoying me though.

Wonder if the post man will bring me anything nice today!????

Panda

• RP - That's a pretty intense weekend!  Will you be taking it pretty easy from here on in?

• ha!  You can talk SBimage....My plan is..

8 tomorrow, 14 Friday, 5 Saturday.

Next week...Just 5 Monday and Wed, and  spinning Thursday morning....then REST and EAT!

What about you???

panda

• Is it just me that seems to experience this forum pretty much doing as it pleases to their posts?

Anyway, RP - That sounds like a decent balance to me.  I have a couple for V02 max sessions, one 12 miler and then just recovery runs, some with strides.  Other than the 12 miler, 8 miles is the furthest i'll go.  The other half will be starting to get used to seeing more of me so i'll have to firmly nip that in the bud and get signed up for another oneimage

• ....Heard you the first timeimage

• Edited it now - this forum hates meimage

• Listening to all the comments on last years weather from those of us who ran it - titally agree before race was a nightmare as didn't stop raining and was windy and freezing cold - during race did not notice rain but did notice hailstones and wind - after race was worst when i could not stop shivering for about an hour. Anything has to be better than last year as far as weather goes.

• I had to read that three times before I realised you meant "totally"image

Yes, I think for me, the worst part, as has been said would be the waiting around before and after.  As I say, I only spectated, for no more than an hour and I was freezing and all wrapped up...the car said it was 3 degrees...I wouldn't have believed the weather could have been that bad at that time of year.  I felt so sorry for everyone.

Still no number this morning.  What's the hold up?!

panda

• Am hoping my number is in the batch that they are posting out today, glad to hear some people having the same doubts about whether their taper is too long or too short and whether they are running too far or have cut back too much

I'm doing 13, 6.5, 6.5 and 5 this week and then 3 lots of 4.5 next week with Friday and Saturday off before the big day

My runs are alternating between good and bad but I'm feeling quite excited about the day provided I'm concentrating on getting round, running at a maintainable pace and not fretting about times. I'm going to listen to my body on the day rather than what my brain says I should be doing

Have had to change shoes so have 2 weeks to get them worn in, alot of stiffness in the knee and thigh after my last 2 runs and a close inspection of the right shoe showed alot more wear than usual (terrain or weather perhaps). I usually get between 400 and 460 miles out of a pair but these have only managed around 360

• ValleyValley ✭✭✭
    Strangely Brown wrote (see)

2 weeks out and a bit of a heads up about the weather.  I sometimes bob on to a weather forum to see what all the weather nerds are prophesising about.  Looks as if lots of predicting models are starting to agree that last April may well return back to cool or even cold weather.  As much as I find that idea really depressing given that I haven't even planted and veg seeds yet but as far as the marathon goes, i'd take cold over heat willingly!

Ha ha SB, that made me laugh.

Are you referring to Net-weather?  I read their weather forums but refer to them as the weather geeks.

Long range forecasts are indeed showing a cooler period than now but temperatures maybe only a little below average unlike last year which I believe was very cold.  Of more concern is the forecast showing a wet period in the North-West, I'd like to request cool and dry please.

We're too far out for a reliable forecast yet though.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Ha. Glad to see taper madness is in full flow !!

Chester is my new 'A' race in October so I've got plenty of time to train for that. I am, however, due to race Lake Coniston trail marathon in July (first 15 miles pretty much uphill !), the Long Tour of Bradwell in August (a fell race in the Peak District with lots of big hills) and Ladybower 50 in Septmeber (50 mile ultra), although I will probably just chose the 20 mile option here and use it as a training run as it's too close to Chester. It seems strange talking about a race in October when you guys havent even run your sping marathon yet.

Numbers are being posted out today so you should receive them in the next couple of days. That's when it becomes very real I guess !

• Valley - Yep, definitely too early to be confident about any type of weather yet really.  Cool and dry please, about 8/9 degrees would be sterling image

Carter - I may well do Chester too, i'll make the decision post Manchester but I have had my eyes on it for a while now...

• Carter - sorry to hear you won't make it to Manchester

it still seems a far way off and I'm not thinking about it too much. My ideal weather would be 12°, cloudy and no wind image 

• I'm such a copycat image btw - on Friday I ordered the P&D Advanced marathoning book as I'm after a PB in Berlin in September. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

• It's a good book.  Try not to do what I did and drop it in the bath.

• SB - I did 3.58 in October just faffing about and doing one LSR. How much do you think I could realistically knock off that by using this "bible"? Considering that I'm 42 and not exactly skinnyimage

• Gosh Molly, I wish I could say.  That sounds like a great time for "faffing about".  You're far more experienced so would have a much better idea than me - i'm still a marathon virgin.

Not sure that being 42 should make too much difference, you haven't started to slow down too much by that age.  P+D is for very serious marathon training though so i'd be confident that you'd be able to bring it down if you follow it.  I intend to take the next step up on my next mara and do the "up to 75mpw" schedule.  Should be funimage

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Molly - I might be able to tell you the answer to the P+D question on the 28 April cos I did my first marathon in 3.59 without the aid of 'the book' and a pretty haphazard approach. I've been following the 'Up to 55 miles' plan (altho I am a bit injury/niggle prone, so I substituted many of the easy/recovery runs for cross training). I am pretty confident I can do a sub 3.45. Fingers crossed.

Carter, sorry to hear you can't take part. Good luck with your other planned events. As a fell runner myself, I feel your pain already lol. Some tough, but great-sounding events ahead image
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I did first marathon in 3:58 with a basic training schedule then did London last year with 3:47 and up to 55 miles, so I'd think with a more focused P & D I'd suspect sub 3:45 highly achievable Shazmo.

I did Chester last year as well and also entered this year, it's a really well organised marathon and nice route, lots of support. Probably not as flat in last few miles between 22-24 as you'd like, but first half gradually downhill or at least it felt like that to me!!
  • All talk about PBs etc seems so irrelevant after hearing the news about Boston. I'm just so shocked and angry. Why did someone do this to us???

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Molly, tragic news indeed. I wonder if it would be appropriate to have a minute silence at Manchester to show our respect?

• cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Manchester marathon facebook page is talking about people wearing a black ribbon on the day.

• I'm not on FB. Let me know what sort of ribbon and I'll get one.