Options

Manchester Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

OK I'd better do some work before 5pm comes!  Good luck everyone, and hope you all have a blast on Sunday!

• Options

Packing my bag, seems like i'm going away for a bloody week...

• Options
    rockinrocky_robin wrote (see)

VALLEY - There's not really anywhere nice to eat in the area around Old Trafford, you'd be best off heading into Manchester or back into Sale or Altrincham. There are a couple of pubs but they don't really do food and cater more for the match day drinker

Is the Salford Quays area no good for food and drinks?

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

It's all hotting up on here isn't it?

Finished work this afternoon and they gave me a good luck card which they'd all signed - I was touched - lots of messages saying how mad I was though!

My number is 7616 and I'm in pen C.

Rockinrobin - do you want to try and hook up near to where the 4 hour pacer is?  No worries if you don't but we may be able to encourage each other along for a while anyway!

Well, my plan says 2 miles tomorrow so I'll do that first thing, then catching the 11 am ferry, then 4 hours drive to Manchester.  Pasta somewhere in the Trafford Centre I guess as that's where we're staying, tomorrow early evening, then wide awake all night I suppose!!

Rebecca - that was such a thoughtful thing for your other half to do - a lovely new top.  I still can't decide on a vest or short sleeves - depends on the weather I guess.

• Options
    fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Sallymax, both short sleeves and vest may be needed so bring both, its been quite cool and changeable here today.  Hopefully the wind will disappear, it's not too windy but windy enough.

1473 pen C

• Options

Paxton - In a nutshell no, it's not the nicest area in the world.

My your way into Manchester City centre, you'll be spoilt for chose 

• Options

Lee...there are eateries on Salford Quays, but it's all your chain food type places like Pizza Express etc, you know the sort of thing.  Far better restaurants in town, and you could get the tram in two minutes.

Re wholemeal and brown V white...I am with RR here.  I have been eating brown things and lots of fruit and veg until this morning, and now I have swapped to white.  Tomorrow I will not be going near fruit, veg or wholegrain anything, as is normal practise for me, pre race.  I don't think you need to be fanatical about it for the whole of this week, but certainly for tomorrow I would not have anything high fibre.  It's not so much the carbs, but the fibre that you want to avoid.  That advice was given to be years ago and I have always stuck with it. 

I am panicking about everything now...proper freaking out, from what to wear, to what the weather will do, to everything.  Latest stress is I might be getting the tram I on my own! I know that sounds babyish to worry about that but I have never done it before.  At least getting on at Alti it is the first stop so I hope to get a seat...but then I panic...what if there is no room, what if I miss it?  What if I can't get parked up to get the tram...arghh!   The stress!

Panda

• Options

Rockin Robin - loving how you're colour coordinating! image

• Options

Paxton - Trafford Centre isn't too far and has plenty of choice of where to eat/drink.

I'm constantly checking the weather reports, it's the only thing I'm worrying about, everything else is in my own hands, last year was horrendous and I dropped out just before mile 20.

Number 3660 - Pen C for me,.

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

Wow I went away for a few hours and the forum has gone ballistic! Lot of worrying going on! A mate of mine turned up in Newcastle the night before the GNR and realised he'd forgotten his number! Had to drive all the way back the WIrral, overnight and ended up getting a PB!

I'm number 4154 pen E. Looking forward to seeing people. I cant stay around afterwards if there is a get together we have to head back to Mrs C's parents place before heading off down the M6 back to Essex! Dread to think what my legs will be like by the time I get home!!

This week has been almost a total write off concentration wise, just been thinking about Sunday all week!

RP me and the family are getting the tram in from Altrincham so if you want to join us your more than welcome.

We travel tomorrow after seeing the lads play footy in Suffolk!

Sleep well everyone!

P.S. would it be really bad if I had a glass of red wine tonight to calm my nerves?

• Options

Cheers for the replies, Jonah, Panda and Xan.

• Options

Hi again....

Adri....will everyone be shouting "ADRIENNE"...in a "Noo Jersey" drawl when you run?  Will you have the "Rocky" anthem on your play list?!image

OOh...Cyb..might take you up on that, what time are you getting at the tram station in Alti?  Where are you staying the night before???  very kind of you, I just panic I suppose...stupid, I know.  And about the wine, I would defo do it.  If I wasn't knocked up I would have a couple of glasses tonight, it never hurt me before.  In fact, I normally have a beer the night before, just a bottle, but it's never done me any harm...just make sure you drink loads and loads of water tomorrow...I mean, like, litres of water, it will stand you all in good stead for Sunday.

You will be so knackerd come Monday...I hope you have the day off work?  have most people booked the day off?

Panda

• Options
    cybarevcybarev ✭✭✭

RP, we want to get to the start for 8am, so thinking of being at Alty for 7.15!!! Staying with Mrs C's parents in Bramhall. Thanks for the great wisdom on the wine issue. I shall accept your advice wholeheartedly (and will make sure `i drink litres of water tomorrow).

Day off Monday? Too right!

• Options

LOL...No problem!

Gosh, that is early..yikes, I am not sure I fancy hanging round for an hour before the start, especially if it's raining.  I was thinking of getting there about 8.30, but I will give it some thought and consideration.

What's everyone having for their marathon evening meal (post marathon I mean).  Notice how I steered it back to my fave subject...food!

• Options

Redpanda - hope I get lots of Rocky-esque 'Adrienne's' lol

Me & my running buddy have planned a pamper day for Monday; Sports Therapist & nails done at mine,then pub lunch, followed by all afternoon in the Hot tub with drinks & chocolate image

Post Marathon meal is Fish & Chips....... think I'm going to have eaten any calories I may have used during the race within 24hrs!

• Options

....Oooh, that sounds lovely....do you own a hot tub or are you going somewhere?  I would love a hot tub...someone down the road has one, and I am so jealous....I haven't managed to blag an invite yet though, lol!

mmmmm. Fish and chips!  That sounds ace.  Yeah, you burn loads of calories on a marathon so go for it.  I don't care, bring on fatness!image

• Options

We have a hot tub in the garden; gets it use especially after long runs on a Saturday morning! 

• Options

Oh, you are kidding??!!  JEALOUS!  Where do you live, lol?!

• Options

...OMG...major revelation/breakthrough/elimination of one worry.....

Guess what I just discovered?!  Well, I was sorting out my running kit (as I am sad, having nothing better to do on Friday night), and I have found....wait for it.....(I think this is one for the ladies mostly), but you know the zip in the back of your running tights with the small pocket (that I for one, never use)...well...I was messing about, and I have discovered that this tiny looking pocket is actually bigger than I thought.  So big, that I can actually, comfortably, fit in an entire packet of hand tissuesimage.  I really hope I don't need to go to the loo in the race, but I fear I will have to.  Therefore, I need not worry about getting caught short at any toilet stop, for I have a full packet of sealed tissues in my back pocket.  yippee!!!!!

I tried it in another pair of tights out of interest and it fits in them too...I reckon it would fit in most tights as the pocket is bigger than it would first appear!

Are you impressed?

Panda

• Options

Soz if this has been dealt with earlier, but is car parking at Old Trafford full ? I've gone on the link but can't find any mention of the marathon there ?

• Options

Flew into Manchester this morning, went to the Trafford Centre and left my credit card in a shop - what a twerp. just seen my number for the first time 3018. Looking forward to sunday although i,ve got a horrible feeling i,m going to have a duff race. are we going to meet up somewhere say at 830?? 

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

Ha ha, well done Redpanda, so excited for you about the tissues!!  xx

Safety Pin - there's a link to car parking on the marathon website, under general information, about half way down the page.

Molly - did you get your card back and why do you think you'll have a duff race?  Is this your first marathon, I think I remember it is.  It'll be fine (I keep telling myself). Which starting pen are you in?

• Options

6482 pen b.

Didn't think i was going to be running this after sickness and diarrhea last weekend. Be interesting to see how i go given i've felt drained for most of the week.

Went out for a couple of miles midweek to test the legs and it was the hardest run i've done this year.

• Options
    safety pin wrote (see)

Soz if this has been dealt with earlier, but is car parking at Old Trafford full ? I've gone on the link but can't find any mention of the marathon there ?

Just had a look for you as i've booked my parking and seeminly you may have missed the boat.

Plenty of places to park around Salford Quays or Old Trafford cricket ground which are short walks away. The official car parks might be full but there will also be the unofficial ones like last year.

• Options

Sally - i rang the shop about 2hrs after i,d been and they have put in the safe to  be collected after the marathon.

This is marathon number 21 but i know i haven,t trained enough which is fair enough.I can,t expect to get a good result if i haven,t put the time and effort in. Will still enjoy it and it,ll be an experience!

• Options

Blimey...I didn't know you had done that many...respect to you!  whats your best time?

Glad your card is safe.

• Options

Rp - i,m a plodder! All between 3.58 and 4.39 but i,ve bought the p&d book and i,m after 3.45 in berlin in sept. 

• Options

Crikey Molly, that's some going!  Well done, i'm impressed.

Cheers for the carb info RP, I had no idea.  Just been to Tesco and stocked up on all kinds of carby stuff + white bread for tomorrow.  Missus also made me pick up some Bournville Jamaican chocolate.  It's high in carbs so i'm nicking some - lord only knows if it's the right thing to be eating but it's just so good!

Finding this carb loading is already starting to make me trump like a madman - ala the gels.  Poor lass has still got 30 odd hours of this to endure image

• Options
    SallymaxSallymax ✭✭✭

I'm sick of eating to be honest, more toast, more bagels!!  I even ate a sweet potato, on its own, this afternoon - it wasn't good but I read somewhere they're high in carbs!!!

Well, don't think I'll be back on here tomorrow so ... best of luck to everyone, thanks for support and tips and hints, hope everyone has a great run.

Guess we'll be back next week with times, race reports etc xxx

• Options

No worries SB....I just had a load of white rice....then had curry on it, which was probably not the wisest move!

So tomorrow I will be having....loads and loads of water (well, weak squash)

2 slices of white toast and marmite

Tin of spaghetti and 2 slices of white bread

Huge plate of pasta with mozzarella, roasted tomatoes and basil

Possibly the odd bit of chocolate or malt loaf for good measure!

As you can see, I keep it really simple the day before and steer clear of meat as well, and it's always worked really well.  PS.....is that Bournville, Old Jamaica?!  My absolute fave..though you can't always find it in the shops.  I don't know that many people that like it, but I love it tooimage.

best of luck Sally...will look out for you.

Molly, they are good times and your PB is about 10 mins better than mine.  I don't really chase times, never have, but I would love one day to get under 4 hours, I don't see it happening for ages though as I am going to struggle big time to train to that degree with two babies.  Not to worry, I still enjoy itimage.

Well, I am off to bed soon be back tomorrow.  Try and get some good kip.  I read somewhere that it is more important to get a good nights sleep on the Friday rather than the Saturday...so make the most of it!

Panda