Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• imageimage Its back to winter running conditions here. Out in the dark, gales and rain this morning. I was sure it is normally still daylight earlier in the morning here until end of August.... Anyway 7 horrible miles done. Now off to work. Its going to be a long day.imageimage

• Neil - I am hoping to run the Zaventem Half tmrw as well, and I think ze German and also David H will be there. My goal will be to finish. If it is below 1h45, then i will have done really well.

On the subject of fluids and nutrition, I think you should keep in mind that what you are taking down should not be to satisfy your immediate need, but - depending on the length of the race - you should be eating/ drinking for the needs you will have in the next hour or two. It's always possible to curtail what you consume towards the end of a race but the big mistake people make, is that they only take stuff onboard towards the ends of the race when it is not going to make much difference. You really need to drink and eat AHEAD of a problem, which is why nutrition should be planned, prepared and practised.

I didn't mean to alliterate then but it's not bad as a reminder.  The only downside to taking stuff in is a) you usually have to carry it around with you and b) if you take too much you might have to pee more often/ get stomach cramping / make like a bear

And on that note, will someone please post the Bristol Stool Chart for reference purposes.

• And why do we need that reference TD??image

And on the subject of nutrition, the make like a bear is why I try not to consume anything..........been caught short once to often.imageimage

And on the subject of nothing to do with running - I have decided what I want to do with my future regarding work. I want to start my own cake(plus prob other things) business. Of course it would be one which did gluten, dairy etc free cakes???

• First customer here. Gluten Free Scottish pancakes please. image

• I must be getting something right. BF is even saying GF baking is goodimage Going to make a birthday cake for my mothers 60th at the end of the month......... All I seem to be doing in my 'spare' time is baking, since junior is now on gluten and milk(which includes soya)  free diet. Why does all prepacked GF and dairy free products have soya in them. Now 10 days on and there is a massive improvement in her symptoms. All worth the extra work.image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Cakes! I'm willing to help out by taste testing them. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooh cake!

I'm off to spend a couple of days doing that "Work" thing.  Be good.

• Swimming course booked.

Running? Pfft.  Over rated.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DLR - Is it the Total Immersion course you are doing? An old workmate of mine did that and he said it really inproved his swimming. I've watched the videos for it and always fancied giving it ago myself. Not been near the pool in ages though.

• I've noticed that when I swim on my own, I'm pretty much the fastest guy in the pool. This lunchtime, there were six fellas in the water, plus a girl who dipped herself in without getting her hair wet, then took back to a sunlounger with her bikini. What kind of a holiday camp is it that I work in?!?! image

Anyway, i noticed that I was the 5th fastest swimmer in the pool. Think I might join you on those swimming lessons Rob. I always knew i was self-taught and lacking int echnique, but when you see people effortlessly gliding past and not apparently breathing at all, you realise you may have more to learn than you first realised

image Still, learning is fun... image 

So, fingers crossed we get to race a hilly HM in 30C temperatures tmrw Neil.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yep it a grounding experience Tricky- crap swimmers r us 

• Self taught too - and didn't even do that until I was 30.

No fear of water, on or under it, not bothered by depth but strokes must be woeful.  I seem to put in lots of effort in order to move very slowly. image

• Guys..  I did two years of total immersion (TI) swim training as prep for my A2A attempt...  I think Rebecca Addington also swims TI..   there are not many TI coaches around in the UK, but if you can find one I think it certainly something worth trying.  There are plenty of tutorial videos on youtube to get you started.

• Depending on the result of the VLM Ballot I will be applying for a place in the Paris Marathon, having hopefully had a good one in Amsterdam this October. Tips on acomodation gratefully accepted.

• TD: I'll decide tomorrow. Did a gentle 9km with David H at lunchtime, 4.40 pace and was sweating like mad. That was "only" 25 degrees image
  • Hi eastender. To be honest as long as your hotel is on a metro line you won't have any trouble at all. The Paris metro is magnificent. There are also loads of hotels within crawling distance of the finish line. The legendary ATM should be along soon to provide some expery guidance. Good luck for the dam.

With all this legacy business maybe there'll be a boost in swimming coaching. The last time I booked a course of lessons I was disappointed as it became clear that it was aimed at beginners or for people who don't do any exercise at all. Might go have another look now as I too have feeble technique. Sometimes I think it might look as though I'm drowning!
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hi eastendrunner. Welcome to the slippery slope. I too applied for VLM last year and failed. I've been here ever since?

As Helterskelter says, any hotel on  one of the main Metro lines would do - even better if it is on a direct line to Charles de Gaulle Etoille. The metro is superb.

Hotels closer to the Arc can be a little more pricey than those a bit further out - with the odd exception, Leeds Rob stays at the Hotel Astrid which is a bargain, walking distance and dooes great breakfasts.

Stick around, introduce yourself image

Did my 'speed' run tonight. Everything seemed to be ok until I had to put the brakes on and change direction sharply to avoid a car at a junction. On starting up I could feel a slight pain at the bottom of my hamstrings. Jogged home slowly (that was ok) and I'll be taking it easy for a couple of days whilst popping ibuprofen. Mind if I just have a seat on the injury bench for a couple of hours?

• Crikey, no sooner than I start looking at bikes and you're all off swimming. No, definitely not!

Eastendrunner (which East End?) - welcome to the thread. There are a few of us on here doing the Paris/Amsterdam double. Your choices for Paris accommodation are basically a) near the Arc de Triomphe area, which is right at the start/finish and therefore cuts out a whole layer of complication (and means you won't be queuing for the portaloos), but is more expensive, or b) staying further out, on a Metro line somewhere, which is still relatively straightforward and cheaper. All the streets leading away from the Arc have hotels. They are all tall and thin. Pick one with a lift image .

Kaz - cake? image I will eat any kind of cake - can you transport them to Paris?
  • Welcome eastendrunner..  (we will have to call you EER..)   ATM is the expert on all things Paris...    quite a few people have stayed here in previous years owing to it being affordable and well located...:

Best Western Elysées Paris  

19 Avenue de Wagram, Palais des Congrès, 75017 Paris

A word of warning..   nothing is cheap in Paris...!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RR - There is only one rule with bike buying. Set a budget and stick to it. If you're anything like the rest of us you'll go carbon blind and start wanting bikes that cost more than your car! image

I really should get out swimming again. I'm a strong swimmer, more stamina than speed though. If anything I swim better in open water as my issue with swimming is my kick is poor, so my legs drag a bit and cause resistance. In open water the buoyancy of the wetsuit corrects that.

A strange 9 mile run for me tonight. For the first 4 miles my legs felt awful and my pace was horrific and the all of a sudden it was like they decided that the big git that controls them wasn't for stopping so they better get on with it and I was able to get the final 5 miles in at faster than intended pace! I really don't understand this running malarky.

Orbutt - I hope your injury is nothing too bad. Hopefully a bit of rest and some ice (or frozen peas) will do the trick to get you back out.

Eastendrunner - Welcome to the thread.

• EER (yes, you've been abbreviated by DV image) - Hellllooooo!  yup, what those guys said about accommodation.  If you're bringing a few supporters/fellow runners/people that will get drunk while you run, you can also look at getting an apartment.  I'm doing the dam this year (all things holding together) too.  Is it your first marathon?

Eggy - maybe you had something that needed to work it's way out of your system...  I agree with the bike buying philosophy too.  Set your budget FIRST! Otherwise you'll be like TD in a bike store.image or this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCkuqL9IcM

Swimming...hmm...I live down the road from tooting bec common but haven't been yet.  Scared to go without a wetsuit as mates say it is COOOOLLLD!

• Swimming.........yuk yuk yuk. No way.

EER- Welcome.

Orbutt- Hope its nothing serious.

My strange sore heel was ok this morning but now after 12 hours at work its sore again.........but then again so is the rest o me!!!

I am being rather silly at the moment.......something  is no right, I realised when I got home at 8pm that I had eaten nothing all dayimage

• Naughty Kaz!  Go eat LOTS!!!!

• *wagging finger* you need to get yourself around a (gluten-free) pie immediately!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Bloody hell Kaz you posted on here at 5:50am after having done a run and it's now 10pm and you've not eaten all day! Go raid the gluten free sweetie drawer.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

When does VLM inform succesful applicants?  Got some planning to do image

• That I would also like to know...

Hoping for London, Paris will be an incredible alternative...
  • Orbutt: how's the heel?

On the hydration/nutrition issue, I used Gu Gels and plain with water for Paris and they worked quite well, though my stomach got a bit sloshy towards the end.

Probably also had something to do with my slow speed - if I were able to run the mara in less than 4.5 hours it wouldn't have been so bad but eating 6 of the things - blugh.

Eating some sultanas from the food stations definitely helped so next time, I will look at alternating them something a bit more like real food. I've seen some energy wafers in the shops that I'd like to try.

I remember KO'S used peanut M&Ms in the little mini bags and I though that was quite a good idea.

Speaking of the Bristol Stool Chart, there's nothing like a good bout of gastro to kick start a bit of weight loss. Do my sprints to the toilet count as intervals?
  • kaz1 wrote (see)

My strange sore heel was ok this morning but now after 12 hours at work its sore again.........but then again so is the rest o me!!!

Whooooaaaah there.  Tell me more about this sore heel.  Does it feel sore if you press?  Is it low down but not under the heel?  Does it feel like its bruised?  Hurts on a morning getting out of bed for a few minutes?