Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I've also had foot probs for a few months- it's a new one on me image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

VLM let you know around the middle of October.

Maus - it's Kaz's heel but my leg. Just a 'feeling' this morning, so I'm hopeful. Easy run later so no strain on it and I get to test it out too.

• Oh sorry Orbutt - I must be getting delirious. The fact that the only thing I can keep down at the moment is dry bread with a little bit of jam would probably explain it!

Kaz: how do you do it? I'd keel over if I had a day like yours and didn't eat!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

As Orbutt says VLM applicants find out in October. I get my rejection letter every October like clockwork.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

What a fabulous morning! Anyone would think it was summer.....

i see the injury/sickness bench is filling up...* Err, kaz...Unless you've learned how to photosynthsize, you'll just have to eat like the rest of us, eh? image Poor Maus has a good excuse.*

EER, welcome to the thread. I hope you get the Entry you want but you'll have a great time as a London-reject if it comes to that. And you will be buried in advice...from accommodation to the desired quality and quantity of your body-waste. So, relax, keep on with the training  and start saving..

This is not meant to be spam, honest, but after having loads of foot problems, I started using afoot roller    and I swear it helped. It's the only thing that effected a good arch-massage.This was part of the plan to take care of the feet I've got and chuck out the orthotics.Completely unscientific, I know, but...

I got my first email from the Marathon people, this morning....but it was about races in Lyon image For a minute, I got all excited. 1 month to Registration.

• Thanks Orbutt and Eggy. I'm hopeful there'll still be places when my VLM reject letter comes through...
  • My HM race starts in an hour. Bl**dy hot here. Last year - even after my bike accident when I had terrible pain in my back - I did it in 1:26:59. Will be happy to finish today. 1h40 best I could do? Will report back later.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

imageI've tried rolling a tennis ball under my foot, which at least feels good. No running so far this week- shocking I know  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Can't believe you are racing already Tricky v. good news- do take care... 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

TD - Good luck with your race.

• TD - Fingers crossed for you and your knee!  +1 for it being amazing you are racing already.

well, I don't think I'll be doing my half at the weekend. image Went out today and after 7 kms exhaustion hit.  Managed 12 but all is not right.  Have been to the doc for blood tests.  Fingers crossed it's just low iron levels.  Am not impressed though and amsterdam training is getting way behind. no muscle pain, injury or anything I can pin point just feel like I'm hitting the wall, all the time.  Sorry, just needed a little vent.  Am very frustrated by this.

• TD- Good luck, take care.

DLR - u got it in 1. It feels bruised,  sore to press and initially when you first put weight on it in the morning. Any Ideas??? I have been icing it which has helped loads.

Another 6am work shift for me today, but finished at 1pm so not such a long day as yesterday. And only  2 more 6am shifts to go.........normal hours resume next week as school is back.image I can't wait for my normal Thursday off and LSR. Sad how I have missed it.image

ATM -LOL

Anyway more coffee this morning, but I have just had smoked bacon and eggs.......mmmmmmm. I am stangely worried about myself. I NEVER eat red meat because I don't like it,(normally only turkey or chicken) but had craving for bacon??? Anyway after no food since dinnertime Monday I just went with my mood...........and enjoyed it(apart from the strange looks from the children!!)

No summer here. thick fog again so no run for me this morning but X training and a little core work. Hoping to get out tonight if the weather permits. My safety comes first. Now, time to walk the dog.image

• TD - sub 1hr40?!! Wow, man.

RS - it'll be viral, girl. Sorry to hear it's getting you down though. Common, miserable and frustrating. But self-limiting. Best seeing the doc to make sure. You probably need a break, few days off, no drink, chill time and sleep.

Good luck.
  • Kaz - mmm, bacon!  Keep that eating up girl.  You gotta fuel the machine...even if it's got a mad early alarm clockimage

Iain - yeah, I thought viral too but has been a few weeks now and from my garmin readings there's no wacky HR increases, just really slow pace and no strength.  I have had to stop, which I don't do.  So thought I'd better get checked out.  Have done days off, lots of sleep etc but doesn't seem to help.  Not mental/boredom either.  Was really looking forward to a nice LSR today but couldn't do it.  Again, sorry all for being boring and repetitive.

• Hey Radar Sal - sorry to hear you are feeling less than energetic. Have you discounted the effects of extra humidity at this time of year?

Well today was UN-BER-LEEVABLY HOT!! image

Hit 32C as we were driving to the race and I reckon it could have been hotter in places. You could feel the heat radiating out of the tarmac, proper toasty. Felt like my tongue had been pasted to the roof of my mouth. There were drink stations every 5km and i walked them all, and gave myself a good sponging down at each one, just giving a chance for the heart rate to stabilise.

So I wasn't racing hard, because it was hard enough all on it's own. Last year I finished 15 seconds behind my running partner, this year I reckon I was nearer 20 mins behind. I left my Garmin at home by mistake (silly to give it a last minute charge up so it was out of sight!) so no clear idea on finish time. Maybe 1h50ish race time.

Have not run this distance since April, so was pleased to dig in and get round, even though it was mad temps to race in. I think Neil did the smart thing but I'll let him tell his own story. Will post some pics shortly.

• RS - not boring or repetitive, hopefully will be better soon. You're covering all bases.

TD - the man's a machine... 32 degrees and I'd have disolved after about 6k.

• TD - good point.  I thought it might be heat and humidity so got up early to run this morning (not KOC but early enough) after hydrating heaps yesterday and a big glass of water before I went this morning.  It didn't help. image hence why I was straight on the phone to the doc.  Big tick for the NHS.  Called at 9.38...they had an appointment at 9.40 but I wasn't stretched and was very sweaty so the next time was...10.10.  blood tests all done too.  Just have to wait for the results.  Goooo the NHS!

fyi, you're a machine for even finishing!!  how many weeks after surgery?

I am intrigued to hear Neil's story...

• Here's some pictures. I am race number 4589 with the British shirt and the white peaked cap. Neil Belgium has the white vest. Plus two other pals/ colleagues - the guy in black is ze German training partner (I used to run with alot) but now Neil does.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103043585512970971799/DwarsDoorZaventemHMRace2012#5776941622097353730

• No story for me really... simply I knew I had supporters waiting at 10k, and was really finding it really hard in the heat (already partially walking from 8k - I've NEVER done that in a race), so chose to stop and get a lift home. The second DNF of my running career, and not something I'm proud of image Hats off to TD and the guys, it was sweltering out there.
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    RS - hope you feel better soon - good to go to the doc. There is, of course, that other diagnosis that would also lead to the same symptoms....it's usually self limiting, assuming you have the patience to wait the 9 months it takesimage
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

RS - Hope you feel better soon.

TD - You are amazing. A half so soon after surgey in 1:50 on a hot and humid day! That really is something.

Neil - Sorry to hear about your DNF.

Well I had a run that I'm pretty sure is only possible in Scotland this evening. A run in hot and muggy conditions with a measure of strong winds and rain thrown in for fun. All at the exact same time!

• Sooo much to keep up with here...

TD..  well done...  sounds like a tough one...  one of your photos shows a horrendous example of a heel strike though...!  No. 28 I think it is...   tut.. tut...  you know better than that....  I am assuming that is you..?

RS...  congrats...!!    waaaaaaaaaaa  waaaaaaaaaaa

OO..  congrats too, from a few pages back..

Anyone else I missed, soory...!

• That's me hobbling home with absolutely nothing left in the tank to hold my gait together DV. I need to repair my gait post op as I am very aware of running funny
  • Eggy - much the same here warm and muggy plus really strong winds but better than thick fog I thinkimage

Neil - Sorry to hear about the DNF, but sound awful conditions.

TD - amazing......

Not long home from a very hilly 6.6miles. If the hills weren't bad enough there seemed to be a head or side wind the whole way. But I actually thoroughly enjoyed it and I am totally amazed at my average pace of 8.34mm. Being severely peed off certainly does the running good. I just wished I could of ran for longer. I feel the need for a long long run...............Oh well hopefully another few miles in 7 hours time!!!image

• TD - we thought you ran funny before but were too polite to say anything image

Hi all, lurking around, popped in to say hello.  So, hello.  Apart from all the injuries and lurgies hope you are all fine.

Kaz - look up Plantar Facittis stretches (prob spelt wrong) - even if not PF, it won't do any harm.  If it is PF you want to jump on it quick and get stretching twice a day and icing after running else it can be a bugger.  STRETCH BEFORE EVEN PUTTING A FOOT OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING.  Also look up trigger point therapy as it also could be tight muscles in your calves that are causing pain in the foot, maybe a combo of the two (thanks to ATM for pointing me in that direction last year).

Me - I seem to have a tight achilles, magic wand anyone?

• Sean - I have considered the dreaded PF again......... I must phone tomorrow about new orthotics. I think I am maybe heel striking too as landing on the front of my foot seems to aggravate the back pain. Tight achilles -ouch!

• RS - I bet Dannirr's really put your mind at rest there image ?

Kaz - Seanb has just said exactly what I was going to say re PF. Pain in the sole of the foot can be caused by tightness in the calves. Beg, borrow or steal a copy of the Trigger Point workbook - all you need are pages 234 to 237. Make sure you always stretch out your calves before running, especially if you've been wearing heels, driving or walking up hills. Rolling your foot over a golf ball or similar will help in the short term, but in the long term you need to prevent knots in your calves.

TD and NB - the thought of racing in that heat sounds horrendous. I actually quite like running in hot weather, as long as I can plod along at my own pace, but if I have to push it at all I soon feel grim. Remind me not to sign up for the Atacama Desert race.
  • Dannirr wrote (see)
    RS - hope you feel better soon - good to go to the doc. There is, of course, that other diagnosis that would also lead to the same symptoms....it's usually self limiting, assuming you have the patience to wait the 9 months it takesimage

yeah, the doc asked me that too and unless there's a new saviour coming, I'm sure I'll be just fine in 9 months. image Otherwise bow down to me, I am your new giant spagetti monster.

Kaz - have a look at the latest issue of RW.  there's a bit on page 66 - article "Watch your (body) language" and it has a bit on exactly the injury you describe.  can't find it on the internet though.

NB - darn, but at least you started.  I'm thinking about a DNS for sunday.  First one. image

• RS - LOL and the issue  of RW is sitting right next  to me so of to look.

RR- re high heels...........maybe the sore heel is indeed a result of that, I plodded about on Friday for over 12 hours in 4 inch heel boots.........I even managed to walk the 1.5 miles home from the watering station with  them on.........I was rather proud of myself at the time!!image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Seanb - Hey Sean, hope all is well with you. I'd be careful coming in here and asking about magic wands!