Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• RR - Enjoy your holiday.

TJB - Great going on your run. A fast pace for a LSR though, certainly faster than I run them at.

Weedy - Very well done to you on your new PB and after being sent the wrong way! image I'd love to be able to run a sub 45 10km, maybe someday.

TD - It must be tough for you to know that your fitness is being limited due to the problems you've been having. The fact you've been able to achieve what you have since your surgery and the fact you have the drive to still work at it is a great testament to your character. I really do hope the surgeon can help you on the road a full recovery. If anyone deserves that it's you.

• Run data from today. Eggy - can I remind you that you DID run a 43minute 10K a couple of months back. As I was recovering from my op and getting ready for Berlin, I was making an attempt once a week to better the time you put out there. You were my benchmark. image

Thanks HS - it's sage advice. I'm always asking my wife to ONLY worry about the things you can do something about. The rest of it is wasted emotional energy.

• TD - Not me, my 10km PB was set this summer but was a 47:09. That was knocking 1:30 off my old one. I did run a 1:43 half PB this summer.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Eggy - what pace do you run your LSR at? I have been running mine around 6:20km (10:12 miles) and I've got it in my head that any slower is too slow - and I'm aiming at a sub 4:15 Paris.

• Orbutt I still do mine at 6:45-7:00/km and I'm aiming for something similar.  Some man once told me to make the easy stuff really easy and the hard stuff really hard....

• Orbut - I do my runs in old money, so my for Paris I was aiming for between 9:30/10 minute miles for my long slow runs. Early in training I was closer to 10m/m, but towards the later stages of training I was running 9:15-9:30m/m and feeling completely fine with it.

Looking back the training just went my way for Paris. I started out slower than I wanted and getting annoyed with it, but as the weeks went by I was getting consistently faster to the point I was starting to do times in training I was surpised about hitting. That all of course really paid off on race day when I went under target by 10 minutes.

• Evening all. Feeling really good this evening after the long run today. I can only compare how I was after last Sunday - 12 miles at 9mm felt fine and previous week at Rttb 13 miles at 8mm legs felt like poo. Will still try to relax a bit, don't want to peak too early.
  • RR - enjpy your week

TD - great graphs

Did a nice 18 miler today at 9.30 m/m after work. Weather perfect. Then a killer smoothie to relax with (vanilla muscle milk, greek yogurt, 2 banana, cacoa chips, shaved coconut, 2 tbs peanut butter, ice).  

Mid LSR baby update: still hanging in there. Needing a lot of life support - more than is usual. Parents getting really weary. Long way to go.

• TD - you know how to play your audience. Where does the training stress come from? Is it strictly accrued training stress with a decay factor, or does it include a "form" parameter, a la Friel's Training Stress Balance?

I remember why I was SlowEngineer... I can't keep up with this thread!!! I look away for 5 minutes and DV is slacking off, ATM is entering ultras and LSR is hosting a conversation about all the places in Leeds I miss!

12km for me today, with 9km at 7:20/mi and 1km at 6:53/mi. Averaged 7:17/mi for the whole thing, but sadly think I'm still struggling with niggles so the pace is largely irrelevant. Need to sort out my arches and work out exactly what's wrong with the calves. image

And yes... I know I'm mixing currencies... what of it?!image

• Here are a few more to add to the 'Who's Doing What List'. Mine so far are:

Dec 9 - Lisbon Half Marathon

Feb 17 - Bramley 20

Mar 3 - Surrey Spitfire 20

Mar 24 - Hastings Half Mara

Apr 7 - Paris Mara

May 5 - Ranelagh Harriers Richmond Half Mara

May 26 - Edinburgh Mara

Sept 15 - Great North Run

Sept 29 - Berlin Mara

? Nov - New York Mara

Possibly a few more half marathons toward the end of the summer (IOW, Canterbury, New Forest) if I decided to do enter. image

• Morning chaps, 

1st proper run back with 7 miles this morning, Finished it in 48mins. Obviously waaay off where I want to be, but I'm sure it'll get better as the weeks roll on, especially with some speed work. 

Have a great Monday!

HG

• THG, if you're capable of turning out 7 miles below 7:00/mi already, you're not as far off a sub-3 as you'd believe. Cracking effort!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@DLR - Indeed - all experience banked.
    @ATM - You're completely right. At the moment - i'm not wanting to think about it but if i'm honest the following are important:
    - Flu Jab: I think this was the reason that my Heart Rate was so high
    - Mental preparation: I was the exact same as Amsterdam, but in this race I just couldnt get rid of the CBA feeling.

@TD - Keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

• Emmy - Doing the amount of events you've been running recently a bit of CBA I think is to be expected. Well done on pushing through it.

Looking at everyones events lists I starting to feel like a right slacker. I've nothing planned at all after Paris and London!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Eggy, there's always Mull of Kintyyyyyyyre... * I resisted the temptation to post the wings video. I deserve a medal just for that. *

Good for you, Tiddy.That's a sheload of events.

TheEngineer...image Not knowing what's wrong with yer old legs is not going to stop me...Scroll back a couple of years to my endless whinging about arches. PF? etc etc. The problem turned out to be further up..in the calves ( Big thank you, still, to Finn) Any chance you could use some trigger-point therapy, too? Do you massage your calves...the scary/sore way ...with your knuckles ... to iron out problems? Massage your arches with one of those small wooden rollers that dancers use? More unsolicited and possibly irrelevant advice to follow...no doubt.

Flu jab + CBA is quite a lot to carry round that distance, Em. you got a pal, a medal and a new perspective. Not a bad race, then.

• TheEngineer - "Is it strictly accrued training stress with a decay factor". That's exactly what it is sir. Straight input using TRIMP values with a fixed decay (which I don't even know what it is). I perceive that the accumulated value is based on training input over a 6 week cycle, something like that. It is all calculated in one of the Sport Tracks plugins. So there is a loose correlation with fitness (or 'form'), especially if you have been a consistent trainer for a number of years.

In my experience, running performance does not fluctuate as widely as the training impulse. As yesterday's race showed, although I am in No Man's Land as far as training goes (running just once or twice a week), I can still turn in race performances a minute or two off my best, when I was training 6-7 times a week.

Eggy - you and me both. Nothing planned between now and VLM. Oh, apart from the NATO Run-Bike 18km race in January. So yes, you aren't the only slacker.

Orbutt - wholeheartedly agree with you that the best thing that ever happened to Bond was the Bourne films. Apart from the last one - the Bourne Legacy - it was an absolute stinker. New director who fell into the trap of removing all the gritty realism of the first 3 films to come up with the usual tripe of explosions, inconsequential car chases and a lead hero character fuelled by some mumbo-jumbo concoction of sci-fi drugs that made him into an indestructible superbeing. Pah!

Haven't yet managed to see Skyfall but am really looking forward to it - we went out to the flix on Saturday night but it was full and we only had the chance to watch a dubbed version in French, to which I said, "Mais non! Vraiement impossible!" and stomped back to the car park.

• My training schedule said to do a 10k as fast as you can to measure the improvement from week 1. Week 1 - 54 minutes - Week 11 - 48 mins 30 seconds. So 5 and a half minutes knocked off. So quite happy. All miles done under 8 minutes. I have not done that before and I doubt I could do that for 13 miles.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Eggy - you and me both. Nothing planned between now and VLM. Oh, apart from the NATO Run-Bike 18km race in January. So yes, you aren't the only slacker.

Haven't yet managed to see Skyfall but am really looking forward to it - we went out to the flix on Saturday night but it was full and we only had the chance to watch a dubbed version in French, to which I said, "Mais non! Vraiement impossible!" and stomped back to the car park.

TD - can you send me over the link for the NATO bike/run. That sounds like fun (do you need to be in NATO to take part?)

We managed to get into skyfall relatively easy but the cinema was absolutely packed and that was a week after release.

ATM- You're completely right. Positive thinking and moving forward!

• Eggy - cheers. It's all down to intervals. It's interesting, your half PB's about three minutes better than mine.

Emmy - positive vibes. If it helps, you beat the seven billion people on earth who didn't take part.

Tiddy - What's the score with the New York entry? Were you in for this year and had to defer? I'm doing Edinburgh and GNR as well, so might see you some time.

Paris Thread Running Club events list update to come when I've added Tiddy's and Jimbob's.

Amsterdam entries opened this morning for anyone interested.

• Dec 9: Lisbon Half - Tiddy.
    Jan 5/6: Enigma Double - Emmy.
    Jan 12: Nato Run-Bike - TD
    Jan 20: Four Villages Half - Dave The Ex Spartan, Orbutt.
    Feb 17: Bramley 20 - Tiddy. Wrexham Half - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR.
    Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
    Mar 3: Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
    Mar 16: Eco Trail de Paris - Emmy.
    Mar 17: Inverness Half - Kaz. Liverpool Half - Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
    Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
    Mar 23: Thames Path Ultra - Dark Vader.
    Mar 24: Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy.
    Apr: London-Paris-London: Dark Vader.
    Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. London Marathon - Eggy.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    May 5: Richmond Half - Tiddy.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan. Strathearn Marathon - Kaz.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - Dark Vader.
    Jun 23: Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra: Dark Vader.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - Dark Vader.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - Dark Vader.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Jimbob, Tiddy.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil Belgium, Orbutt. Tiddy.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.

• ATM - If a relay team can be assembled I give Mull of Kintyre a shot and if not I'll pop along for support/a nosey at the route.

Weedy - There's not much difference between my 10km speed and my half speed. I seem to be naturally better at knocking out a consistant pace rather than adapting to a faster pace over a shorter distance. All the more reason why I should be doing intervals once I get fit again. Plus I ran it at the Helensburgh Half, which has been a good PB course for me. That course really seems to suit me for some reason.

• I can't update the list because it won't let me add more lines image

• Wow we have such big running club. It might be nice to have a membership wristband? I'll enquire into the pricing.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)
    Wow we have such big running club. It might be nice to have a membership wristband? I'll enquire into the pricing.

Danirr has WWKD (What would Kaz do) wristbands.

• I'm thinking a red white and blue job, with the eiffel tower on, RW Paris 2013 Thread Member. One of those rubber charity band thingys.
  • Jimbob - green is the official color of this thread.
  • Weedy, I didn't defer my New York Mara place but as it was cancelled, we get guaranteed entry next year. Still awaiting further details from NYRR which I guess will become more apparent once the post Sandy clean up and restoration is complete.
  • http://www.scottish-wedding-dreams.com/images/heraldry-flag-kangaroo-boxing-wiki.jpg

Image courtesy Wikipedia

Enough green????

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Just worked out that the Engineer was Slow Engineer (I'm quick like that).

I'd also like to mention that I used to own a pair of green trousers- what happened to those?

Poor last week for me, hope to do better this one. Big 10 mile race planned next Sunday.