Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• DLR - Helensburgh half marathon is always at the start of August up here in the wilds north of the wall.

• Weedy - in an ideal world, yes. Sadly I doubt it will be next year... Gotta get over injury first, avoid too much responsibility at work and inherit OO's ability to just keep getting better... Dreaming big though!image
  • Weedy, like the idea of a Monday update froma resident OCDimage Just run for first time since Oct 14th and feel like a geriatric lifetime smoker....How long does it take to recover form real flu? Perspective: Normal 5k in training run mode 20-22...tonight 27+ and could not have gone 100m further. Progreesive run started at 10.1kph finished last 50m at 15 and was wasted. Feel like I've just done a mara!!

• Proper flu is very nasty - and post viral fatigue can drag you down for a good while afterwards.  Take it easy until you really do feel properly better...

• Kirkwall half is indeed at the end of August...............you could all come visit and show the peeps around here what real comaradarie(sp) is!!!image

I have been mega bad today but I feeeeel gooooood!!!image I am taking what I have read in Brain Training seriously and if I feel good go with it!!!

4 miles at earlier than KOC under a clear sky with lots of twinkling start and a really wierd moon, followed by 6.5 tonight. 1.7 miles on my own then the rest with the group. I fear all they run is intervals......anyway tonight was a short w/up followed by 6 x 400m hill reps then c/d.

Maybe its the thought of the changes ahead that have boosted my spirits!!  Full support from BF.imageimage

• Probably good advice....but when do we ver listenimage

• Straycelt - what's your resting heart rate normally? And what is it now?

Engineer - no one ever achieved much by dreaming little image

• All this talk of next year has got me thinking. I have nothing booked or planned for 2013 at the moment. Nothing. Zilch...

2012 has been brilliant for me from a running perspective. Stayed injury free and new PBs at 10K, 10 miles, half marathon and marathon. So, how the hell do I top that?

I think I have stayed injury free by being sensible (lazy?) with the running training. I have probably done less running, but the triathlon training has obviously helped inprove my running speed. But I fear that if I keep chasing PBs at my age I will end up either hitting a plateau very soon  (best case) or breaking my body (worst case). It's striving for ever better times that keeps me motivated.

I do intend doing more triathlons next year, but can't decide on what running targets, if any, to set myself. I do fancy one more crack at a 3:30 marathon, and I guess Paris would make sense because I am already as (running) fit as I am ever likely to be. I'm going to keep pondering for another couple of weeks and then decide what to do, Decisions, decisions.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

TheEngineer - "Is it strictly accrued training stress with a decay factor". That's exactly what it is sir. Straight input using TRIMP values with a fixed decay (which I don't even know what it is). I perceive that the accumulated value is based on training input over a 6 week cycle, something like that. It is all calculated in one of the Sport Tracks plugins. So there is a loose correlation with fitness (or 'form'), especially if you have been a consistent trainer for a number of years.

In my experience, running performance does not fluctuate as widely as the training impulse. As yesterday's race showed, although I am in No Man's Land as far as training goes (running just once or twice a week), I can still turn in race performances a minute or two off my best, when I was training 6-7 times a week.

You may be interested in the articles discussing the same concept on trainingpeaks, which is what I use. 

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/normalized-power,-intensity-factor,-training-stress-score.aspx

TSS is applied to each workout either through a geometric mean of recorded power, heart rate or pace (from device input) or you can estimate using ((effort/10)^2)*(time in hrs). This accumulates into two things: fitness and fatigue (acute and chronic training load). Form is predicted using a Training Stress Balance... which is calculated from your fitness minus your fatigue (each of which can be given their own decay criteria to suit the individual).

When your TSB goes positive... you're in great shape for a PB. 

Just a thought if you want to add more lines to your graphs... and of course you can invest in a power meter for the shiny new bikeimage

• kaz1 wrote (see)

imageimageimageimageimage

And as for you, madame, get studyingimage 

• Engineer..  all very well..   but what about jelly beans...?

The more jelly beans you need, the more fatigued you are.   Simple.  Here, I have produced a graph...

/members/images/98627/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-11-12_at_21.28.06.png

• Ha ha ha DV. Have u got a graph for miles ran, future pie consumption banked?
  • Dark Vader wrote (see)

Engineer..  all very well..   but what about jelly beans...?

The more jelly beans you need, the more fatigued you are.   Simple.  Here, I have produced a graph...

This graph shows a direct correlation between jelly beans and fatigue... so maybe if you don't eat jelly beans you can run forever?!?!

• So after Paris, I can eat all the pies?
  • Dark Vader wrote (see)

The science is very easy...

/members/images/98627/Gallery/Screen_Shot_2012-11-12_at_21.43.44.png

http://www.dreamstime.com/pork-pie-chart-thumb6699091.jpg

• No..   

TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Engineer..  all very well..   but what about jelly beans...?

This graph shows a direct correlation between jelly beans and fatigue... so maybe if you don't eat jelly beans you can run forever?!?!

No..  it shows that the more fatigued you get, you need more jelly beans...   if you eat too few jelly beans you go into jelly bean deficit...  and you don't want to be there...

• Peter - keep meaning to ask, what part of Australia are you in?

Tiddy - Gutted for you. You end up flying over to New York before you found out it was off? Marathon Talk podcast was saying this week there were loads of people did impromptu marathons in Central Park on their own and in little groups.

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    So after Paris, I can eat all the pies?

In tests, 89% said yes...   yes you can eat all the pies.   Fact.

• Shouldn't it be a pie chart rather than a graph?

• Boom boom boom (didn't see that one coming) image
  • imageimageimage I think my future is going to be full of hard work and lots of travelling!!!imageimageimageimage And I will be going to stay near/with my big brother for sometime but he doesn't know it yetimageimageimage Exciting times ahead!!!

• Pie x the radius squared of the jelly bean x the length of the jelly = roughly the volume of the jelly bean = approx. the distance you can run before needing to consume another bean. Or another pie. Fact.
  • kaz1 wrote (see)

imageimageimage I think my future is going to be full of hard work and lots of travelling!!!imageimageimageimage And I will be going to stay near/with my big brother for sometime but he doesn't know it yetimageimageimage Exciting times ahead!!!

imageimageimageimage

Incidentally... does anybody know the volume of a pizza with depth a and radius z?! 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

http://www.mochimochiland.com/blogimages/tinyjellybeans.jpg

Knitted jelly beans.Who knew...

•  
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Peter - keep meaning to ask, what part of Australia are you in?

Hi Weedy

Live in Melbourne, lived in Herefordshire in 2006/07 and studied Sports Massage at Coleg Powys in Llandrindod Wells.

• kaz1 wrote (see)

imageimageimage I think my future is going to be full of hard work and lots of travelling!!!imageimageimageimage And I will be going to stay near/with my big brother for sometime but he doesn't know it yetimageimageimage Exciting times ahead!!!

Tell us more, madam.

All that talk of pie is making me hungry.  Early bed for me, I have a wild trip to, erm, Surrey to look forward to tomorrow...image