Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    Garmin experts: I've got the 610. Wil it be accurate enough to measure out 200m for my sprints?
  • Options

Holey - accurate enough.  Even if it were 5% out it'd be no big thing.  How come you're doing intervals as short as 200 though?

• Options
    It's all elasticated chest straps and KY jelly in here today isn't it image ?

On a more prosaic note, I log my runs of my phone using a free app called Running Log. It's doesn't do very much other than keep all your runs in one place, and add up the totals (although if you turn your phone sideways it creates a nice graph, which is fun, but pointless). But it's really easy to use, and see what you've done for a week, month or year. And if you want to do anything fancier, you can export to Excel (which is worth doing from time to time as a backup).

South Bank run this evening, finishing at the German Christmas market. Nothing like a gluhwein and a bratwurst for refuelling image .
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, Swiss Tony. I miss him.image

Just as I was about to go on more interesting longer runs, the whole country is subject to Flood Alert...Tomorrow, I will be mostly not-running.

• Options

Sounds like I picked a good day to go swimming!

• Options
    Rob - was checking out the runners world schedule, and it has 200m repeats. What would you be doing?

Also, would you ditch resistance training and increase no. of runs? They have 5 runs on their schedule, which I cold fit in but only if I cut out some resistance work (I'd keep core work in!)
  • Options
    holeymoley wrote (see)
    Rob - was checking out the runners world schedule, and it has 200m repeats. What would you be doing?

Also, would you ditch resistance training and increase no. of runs? They have 5 runs on their schedule, which I cold fit in but only if I cut out some resistance work (I'd keep core work in!)

I'd probably be looking at longer but slower intervals maybe starting with something like 800m repeats at 3k race pace building to 11200/1600m repeats nearer to 5k race pace.  200m feels a bit short for marathon training unless it was the first few sessions as a sort of 'intro' to intervals.  Not that I'm an expert mind...image

Resistance vs runs is an interesting one. Ideally you'd do both but I'd have thought dropping a recovery run and replacing with resistance and, say, an easy bike ride wouldn't hurt?  Or just limit the resistance training a bit - to body weight exercises or those with just a light dumbell you can do at home so you could fit them in.  You're not really looking to build muscle - just retain it if you're in calorie defecit or change its composition if not.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    It's all elasticated chest straps and KY jelly in here today isn't it image

Another day, another fetish.

• Options

There's some funny people about.

Yesterday I was on the bike in the gym and could see into one of the fitness studios and there was a man in there. 

Doing aerobics. 

In Leeds.

I like to think I'm a broad minded, progressive sort of person but...

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

There's some funny people about.

Yesterday I was on the bike in the gym and could see into one of the fitness studios and there was a man in there. Doing aerobics. In Leeds. I like to think I'm a broad minded, progressive sort of person but...

You were jealous, weren't you.  You wanted to be in there shakin' that thing.  What type of aerobics was it?  You'd love zumba.

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    I used to know a guy that went to aerobics. He liked to perv from the back of the class.

Starting to get concerned about the training for marathon. I know it'll take over life - that's why I only do one every couple of years. How do you folks fit in life and training? I've got Pilates on Monday evening, plan to run Tues- Thurs (only run I could conceivably do in the morning would be Tuesday as Wednesday is mid-week long and Thursday will be club reps). Lunchtime sessions are also out as I teach and have 45 min lunches.

I guess I'll get into it once again - just feels like 18 weeks of this is a big ask of my non-running husband.
  • Options

KOC is the only way I manage to fit running around life Clag, although I have managed to score an extra day off work each week every week so things are a bit easier.

I am mentally drained and wondering why I am doing this anymore...........Everyday of work is taken over by LSR's, when training, and its going to be worse next yearimage I know the end result is worth it(even if injured or ill!!). Maybe I've just got winter blues!!

Gales here today. Day off. Severe CBA.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Clag - I run early mornings to try and get it 'out of the way' but it can be difficult at weekends.... and there have been a few early wake up calls.

@Kaz - Can you take a few weeks 'off' doing other cardio? or just resting? It could be you are mentally drained and need a break?

I did a gentle 4 miles this morning. It's the first run this week so I feel a little creaky but happy!

• Options

I know I need a break but my mind won't let me,,,,,,,,,,,it just keeps pushing me to do more!!image

• Options

Clag wrote (see)
    I used to know a guy that went to aerobics. He liked to perv from the back of the class.

Even worse, I've heard of guys using bikes in the gym as a cover to perve on men doing aerobics classes. In Leeds

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Neil Belgium wrote (see)

Clag wrote (see)

Even worse, I've heard of guys using bikes in the gym as a cover to perve on men doing aerobics classes. In Leeds

That sounds positively like some gyms in Antwerpimage

@Kaz - Can you replace running with cycling? or something similar? does it have to be running?

• Options

Clag - I find having no social life means I have plenty of free time for running. Sadly when injured having no social life means I have plenty of time to start going insane.

Kaz - The dark nights, rain and start of winter won't be helping much, but I think Emmy could be right and you just need a break. If you need something to get your mind in the right place just visualise yourself and the girls in Paris enjoying the city with that finishers medal around your neck.

DLR - Men doing aerobics in Leeds! I hope this illness isn't creeping north of the border. Dangerous times we live in.

• Options

No way am I trying cycling in this wind, It certainly would be a stationary bike!!! I am using an elipitcal trainer, and doing strenghening stuff too so probably just need to keep running miles to a minimum just now.image

Or am I just looking for an excuse to watch TV?!?!

• Options

Kaz - Outside when you've been injured you've been doing what most would consider high mileage running for what must be two years now. I think an easy week or two before you start training for Paris and some time with your new TV might be good for you.

• Options

Eggy: Good advice: that's what I'm doing next week too.

• Options

Sal - Zumba eh.  As long as it doesn't involve me gyrating my hips and wearing gaudy coloured class specific outfits?

Neil - Look, I was just wearing loose fitting shorts for comfort ok?

Eggy - Dangerous times indeed.

Clag - I'm like Eggy: bugger all social life. Running is the only 'non-family' thing I do.  Gives me lots of leeway.

Last year I'd had a good chunk of time off through injury and I think that actually helped me with training over the winter.  This year is similar - difference being that the injury hasn't quite gone, Paris is a week earlier and my ramp up before training has been more stuttering.  Fingers crossed I'll make it to my first 'check point' of 7th January in reasonable shape.

Really might work for you Kaz having a week off completely - you'll then be like a coiled spring when training starts!

• Options

Rob and Eggy: in 2011 I got injured at the end of July and had 3 months completely off running, not restarting until 5th of November, and even then with very very short runs (starting with 6 minutes, then up to 8, 10 etc). My longest run in November was 6km. So don't feel too bad, there's still plenty of time.

Kaz: don't think of it as time off, think of it as a specific recovery/ strengthening period for your body, especially ligaments and tendons, consolidating all the hard work you've done and making you stronger. 

• Options

Anyone here do park runs..?    OO..   I think you do occasionally..?    Anyone else... how does it work..?   Are they free - just turn up and run..?   Can someone explain what happens and what its all about..?

We don't have one locally..  so perhaps I might look into getting one started.

• Options
    A nice road/trail 10mile run completed. Slow on the scary bits quick on the easy bits. Ran into bit of nasty headwind for about a mile towards the end. Felt like I was going backwards.
  • Options

DV - I don't do them, but I think Tom Williams from the Marathon Talk podcast is high up in the organisation if that's any help. Email's info@marathontalk.com

How's the course going?

• Options

After destroying a rainforest printing off schedules I have decided to follow the Runners World Ultimate Schedule Sub 4. (Although this may change). As the half marathon schedule served me so well. This starts on 17th December. Although I am having a week or so off after the last marathon I intend to start running next week to keep the fitness already built up.

My question is this. I would like to do the Liverpool Half on 17th March. My schedule says 20 mile run. As long as I get the 20 mile run in (I was thinking the week before) and make sure I do the other long runs on the schedule. Would you think a fast half marathon would affect the training in any way?

My OCD suggests I just follow the schedule and be done with it.

• Options

James - You could do what RR & RS did for Amsterdam. They ran a 10 mile race in France when they had 20 miles scheduled,so they did an out and back. One half as the race and the other part by themselves. You could add the 7 miles on before or after the half.

TJB - Good going.

Neil - Cheers, it's good to know that there can be light at the end of the injury tunnel.

Although if time off counts as strengthing I should be super strong, but my core work suggests otherwise!

• Options

I'm doing a 10 mile run on the same day James.  I'll just run a mile or so before then add on maybe 5 after.  Figuring the intensity of the 10 will make up for the shortfall - assuming I've got my 20+ runs in earlier anyway.

• Options
    James you'd be in taper mode by 17th so you may not want to go full on race pace that close to the marathon. I'm going to attempt a quick half on March 3rd at Silverstone and then at Reading half Mar 17th just take a bit off but still try a course best (for me) - just be relaxed about it. Need to save the powerups for the end level in Paris!
  • Options

DV - for Parkruns you go on their site and register for free.  Then you print your barcode and take it along to the run (also free).  At the end they'll scan your barcode in order to record the time.  If you don't wanty it recording or forget the barcode it's OK, just stay in line through the chutes and tell them as you go through.