Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• I have a 21 mile run schedule for the week before.

Week 9 - 17m

Week 10 - 13m

Week 11 - 19m

Week 12 - 21m

Week 13 - 20m (Liv Marathon weekend)

Week 14 - 18m

Is that enough long runs if I decide to do liverpool on week 13?

• James - you might want to bump week 9 - up to a 20, if Week 13 goes down to a 13. Thats what i would do based on the above. But my longys will be

Dec 30th -20mile

End of Jan - 20mile

Mid / Late Feb 20Mile

March 10th - 21mile

- so i'm spreading the longys out a bit more. All the other LSRs wil be 13s/15s/17s depending on what else ive got going on before/after

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

James, I'm also doing the Liverpool Half - and I did have a 20 mile run scheduled for that day but I've just shifted my runs a bit to fit in Liverpool. I tend to do my best to fit in with plans but I'm not afraid to juggle them a bit. Maybe you could make week 9 an 18 and week 11 a 20?

As DLR says, you could always add  Warm Up/Cool Down runs if you really wanted to stick with the distances specified but the intensity of the Race may be just as good for you.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    James B 73 wrote (see)

After destroying a rainforest printing off schedules I have decided to follow the Runners World Ultimate Schedule Sub 4. (Although this may change). As the half marathon schedule served me so well. This starts on 17th December. Although I am having a week or so off after the last marathon I intend to start running next week to keep the fitness already built up.

My question is this. I would like to do the Liverpool Half on 17th March. My schedule says 20 mile run. As long as I get the 20 mile run in (I was thinking the week before) and make sure I do the other long runs on the schedule. Would you think a fast half marathon would affect the training in any way?

My OCD suggests I just follow the schedule and be done with it.

I've done this before and if you have issues with the weeks - just switch them around. I had one 20 miler that i swapped for a half marathon and moved it forward a week

• James - on quite a few occasions I've done a half, and added extra miles afterwards (or before). It works really well
  • I would totally agree with Emmy and Dannirr - either swap things around or just add the extra miles afterwards.. works both ways.

• James - To me if week 13 is the 17/03/2013 then your week 14 long run looks too long. You should be tapering at that point. I personally tend to drop down to 13/14 miles that week for the long run.

• James - VO2Max is not necessarily an indicator of running ability. I may have a lower VO2Max than you and easily out run you in a marathon, or vice versa. The thing is, 70-80% of your oxygen absorbing and using capacity (which is what VO2Max measures) is genetically set. Training doesn't do very much to improve it. Lactate Threshold on the other hand is VERY responsive to training.

Running short and very intense intervals, like 200m efforts, will mainly provoke VO2 - aerobic capacity increases. Marathon runners who want to go faster should principally look to increase speed in Temp (sometimes called Threshold) runs - where you go as fast as you can evenly sustain for 30-40 minutes running, (somewhere in the 87-91% MHR area).

Radar Sal wrote (see)

oh yeah, forgot to link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU It's business time!

Would that have anything to do with wearing Team Building t-shirts and the Flight of The Concordes. Those Australians were one of the funniest things on TV a couple of years back. Loved 'em.

...... waiting.....

• Magnificent day in Atlanta for th Thanksgiving Half Marathon, where I am standing at the finish waiting for my son to come in. Don't really like being a spectator image
  • Dannirr - Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you and your family have a great day.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Dannirr - Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you and your family have a great day.

Ditto. I wish you a lovely day image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Happy Turkey Day, Dan image

• Thanks - all the kids are home, lots of comfort food once I get home from the hospital later. A rest day from running. All good.
  • I may juggle the runs around. Although I am now concerned my schedule may not be the best option given the comment about week 14's run being a little long.

Where is that mountain of papers?

Week 12 suggests 13 miles. So may up that plus up a couple of others.

• Well I took your advice Eggy, and not the rest option!! image

I actually feel better for it although it was one mega hard run. Wind got stronger during the run so at times felt like I was standing still.

I also have a half marathon on the 17th March. I am planning on getting a PB there, but will be tapering from the week before, then resting loads from then on as my new course starts the following week. You see I am already planning ways to alleviate the taper madness!!!image

Dannirr - Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you all have a great day.

• James - When tapering I go by the rule that your run should be no longer than the number of days until the race?? Apart from the Breakfast run the day before that is!!

• Kaz - Is that the Inverness half you are running? I'm tempted by that one myself, but it wasn't fitting in well with my plans. I might see how my recovery is going and see if I can still get a place. It would be at easy pace for me though if I do it.

Oh, and waggy finger for you. I'm pretty sure the BBC website said there was 55/70mph winds forecast for your area! You must be mad.

• whats the benefit of the breakfast run and how far do you run?

• Eggy - Yes Inverness half, and yes to the gales....... it wasnot pleasant but I feel rather good after it!! image

TJB- Breakfast run, I feel,  just loosens you up after travelling. A very very easy paced 5k. The girls are doing it with me so I think it will be nice but I think the youngest is planning on racing it!!image

• Kaz - As long as you enjoyed it! image

I'm keeping Inverness on my stand-by list. I'm scheduled a 20 mile run that day, so could add the miles before the start. Pretty sure that's a mid-day start too. All depends on getting fit again though.

TJB - As Kaz describes. I think it really helped me last year. Very easy pace morning run from the Eiffel Tower to the marathon finish line on Foch Ave. Great way to relax and get ready for the next day.

• It's blowing an absolute gale down here so lord knows what it must be like up there - how do you stay upright Kaz?!!

I seem to have registered for Berlin...image

• Eggy - Yes Inverness is a 1pm start.  Plenty of time, and I am sure that by then you will be fully fit!! I really like it and have done it the last two years, although transport links is very unreliable(from here) at that time of year. Taking this into account we are going down on the Friday. I will have to visit my horrid sister when in Inverness tooimage

Suzy - Yippee!!! As for staying upright, I am pretty sure I was nearly bent double today..........and my stomach muscles are telling the tale!!image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Suzy - Whoop whoop!! image Fantastic news!! image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Suzy - You may well find a few familiar 'faces'

• Nice one fluzi suzi on joining the the Paris/Berlin double-up crew. there's gonna be untold banter! (oh know- i'm gonna get pissed, cry and then make a speech) image

Egg, Kaz - sadly i wont be able to do the breakfast run, cause i'll still be in London when you set off - but i will have a couple of miles in the park early evening (pre-dinner time) with me mate Dan - so if anyone wants to join us i'll organize something. I'll do medals and everything.

• TJB - I might do that too!image

Some stange siren thing just sounded here...........sounded like the air raid thing from films..........Is there something I don't know????image

• with the promise of Medals - who wouldnt wanna !?

• Can anyone recommend a book about anatomy, nothing too technical but not too basic (maybe A-level standard or just above), identifying the relevant muscles, bones, joints etc and how they interact, and a book about stretching and core exercises?

Or one book that covers both?

Or website maybe?

• This is going around facebook..  it is probably photoshopped, but who cares..  it made me smile..  maybe it will cheer up your day too...  image

/members/images/98627/Gallery/182573_3929974691005_70729798_n.jpg