Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Welcome to the thread Daz

• Options

That number looks like a green one to me

• Options

razdaz - welcome...and stepping in after a nippy nips talk...we expect big things from youimage

• Options

i was about to witter on about Princess Leia (carrie fisher) getting her nips taped over when shooting the original starwars cause Lucas thought the "showing" look was a little too sexy for a matinee. There i just did  - (talking about 3 of my fave things  -starwars and Leia's nipples)

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, razdaz.Welcome to the thread.

I won't labour it but today was a fabulous one up here..image So, got up really wearly and got train(s) and did 27k on the moors with perfect views out to sea and up to the the Highlands..V. pretty...all snowy mountains and Bonnie -Scotland -calendar stuff.Ran through woods and round reservoirs and didn't met a soul until I had a cup of coffee in a fishing club. I love my new rucksack and the idea of just enjoying the view with no regard for speed ( hehe speed? ). A bit icy, mind you..

Anyway, that's why the photos are slow to appear. But  here's Dave The Ex-Spartan

But who is this lovely boy ?

• Options

I'm going to guess from the look of the cars that it's one of our more senior forumites...now what type of trees are those and we may have a location?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

And ,not looking a day over 39, The Jimbob

• Options

Welcome to the thread razdaz. Pull up a stool. Or maybe not image. Is this your first marathon, or are you a gnarly old veteran like some of the others on here?

Finished my Paris plan this evening. It's based on the P&D 55 mile 12 week plan - I couldn't face an 18 week plan, so I'll be freestyling a bit until 14th January and doing my own thing. It's a bit more mileage than I'm used to, so I might ease off a little - also there seems to be very little in the way of 'cutback' weeks. We'll see how it goes.

Love the sound of your run today ATM. It's just grey and horrible down here. Anyone flooded?

• Options

ATM - sounds fantastic.  Here it is grey and miserable, but I gotto go else the week's mileage will be trash.  Might even do the dreadmill thing.  Motivation level today is about 1.3 on a scale of 1 - 10.

Welcome razdaz. Tell us more about yourself. 

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

And now for a bit of glamour... Running Rodent

• Options

Only 2 cutbacks over the 18 weeks RR.  I quite liked that though.  Really felt you'd earned them.  I'm basing mine on the up to 55 again.  Last year it ended up being up to about 63, so all being well will be similar.  Looking forward to having some structure.  Freestyling gives me too many 'optional' runs.

6 done today.

Also went to physio and podiatrist (resists the urge to name drop again image ) and upshot is if I keep up rehab work problems should get slowly better despite training increase.  If they don't I should try a 5mm heel raise on right foot and if that doesn't do it I'll try orthotics, so some fallbacks available.  Currently rolling right foot back/forth on a bottle of frozen water...

• Options

Evening folks,

Welcome Razdaz.

Your run sounds amazing ATM.

I am  going AWOL for a while........I have a family crisis which needs my full attention, so much so the trainers have been put away for the forseeable future.........

Take care everyone, and I will see you in Paris.image

• Options
    All the best Kaz - hope you can get things sorted out.
  • Options

Just noticed Eggy wa doing a Buster Bloodvessel impression in Chicago.

• Options
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Evening folks,

Welcome Razdaz.

Your run sounds amazing ATM.

I am  going AWOL for a while........I have a family crisis which needs my full attention, so much so the trainers have been put away for the forseeable future.........

Take care everyone, and I will see you in Paris.image

You'll sort it Kaz, and you'll make all the right decisions.

• Options

Be well Kaz.  Or as we say in Africa "Humber gahle" - go safely

• Options

Hi Razdaz - what part of the world you in?

Kaz - hope all's okay

DLR - sounds promising. Running Anatomy arrived yesterday - v good recommendation, thanks.

Jimbob - who's the guy in the yellow top next to you? He appears to be wearing explosives strapped to his chest...

ATM - sounds fab

Thread's now third in the google Paris Marathon search result rankings. Give it a month or so and it might even overtake the official Paris Marathon website.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Razdaz - howdy. Welcome to the madhouse image

"This Lovely Boy" - that's just wrong on so many levels.

Dannir - about time you had grey and miserable, why should we be the only ones -  especially after those photos you posted. Looks like ATM has stolen your scenery.

Kaz - HUGS - we'll be right here if you need us image

• Options

Weedy..   new event for your race diary...

21/22 Sept - Cotswolds 102m ultra

• Options

hope all works out for you kaz

perfect conditions for running in edinburgh also today - not as much solitude as atm i guess but a lovely run nonetheless.

p&d 55-70 18 week for me starts properly on tuesday.

• Options

Take it easy, Kaz....come back soon.

Mighty bored of my lurgy now....and my hurty leg.  Bah.

• Options

Weedy - the guy in the bullet proof vest next to me? he was called James - and i joined him on a bout 7 miles and we ran for quite a while. He's a top lad and we were pushing each other along to get the sub 1.45. I was saying we get to mile 10 and then start increasing the pace as we run down the hill - but at that point he bombed away from me and i couldn't keep up. Turns out he underestimated the last 3 miles as i slowly reeled him just after 11 miles and was just willing him to stick it with me till the end. He'd gone too early and had nothing left. I left him behind, carried on and got in just under the mark. Would like to have swapped details with him as we were chatting there for a good while (bantering) but didn't see him at the finish image

• Options
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

at the risk of starting a never ending debate...sports personality of the year? your pick and why.  I don't usually give a toss about it but while I think all the nominations are amazing and in any other year would throughly deserve it...my vote goes to wiggo.  It's a HUGE blinker but if you ignore the olympic medals, winning the tour of france is just the most awesome feat.  He's also a brilliant personality!!!  All round great guy who's not perfect and never claims to be.

Bit late - Wiggins for me too. What a feat.

(Still. An Irishman did it 25 years ago...!)

• Options

Razdaz - Welcome to the thread.

Kaz - I hope all is well with you. Remember to take care of yourself as well as everyone else.

ATM - Sounds like a great run you had today.

Iain - Mr Roche did indeed, his son isn't a half bad cyclist either.

DLR - I think it's more dog with it's head out the car window than buster blood vessel!

I treated myself to cheap git night at the cinema again. Argo is well worth seeing if anyone is heading to the cinema, best film I've seen this year.

• Options

OK - so Argo and Skyfall on the agenda for this next week, followed by Life of Pi. 

9 miles done on the treadmill - farthest I've ever been on that thing.

I feel like a bit of a wimp complaining about our weather today. Really was not bad.

• Options

Kaz - Go sort it woman and come back quickimage We'll keep your seat toasty warm and await your return.

Iain - an irishman...interesting.   Did he have sideburns and a scooter collection?

oh yeah, I haven't run properly yet.  Ran for a train on Monday...leg is still sore today.  I'm not impressed!

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

The start date for the plan looms ever closer! I have a cold this week so am taking it easy and hoping to be fit & raring to go by Tuesday.

Dannirr - well done on your treadmill run, especially at this point in the game. During training for my 2nd marathon we had a hellish winter and I did 20 miles one day! It was awful - the embarrassment of finishing and having to immediately vault to the bathroom to spew remains!

Re training plan, I've now added alternate week hill reps. I have an easy run, mid week long run, reps with club, was going to do Parkrun but have been told not to race weekly so it'll be an easy session, then long Sunday. Does this sound ok? I'm worried now that there's no tempo and I won't have the speed, but maybe that's where the mid week run with some miles at MP comes in? So confusing!
  • Options

Red
    3231 Small Hands
    3434 Neil Belgium
    4321 dhale750
    5000 Hockey Goalkeeper
    5995 Bedders 
    6032 Stray Runner

Yellow
    8186 seanb
    8461 Sporty Badger
    8843 Oops
    9016 The Engineer
    9114 djwolf
    10101 Dirty Leeds Rob

Blue
    14021 Mark Beevor
    14160 Weedy Gonzalez
    14467 kaz1
    14558 Edd125
    15080 Ward 6
    15149 MG09
    15350 phil in fitter
    16171 Steve Duffy 2
    16639 Simon MacD 

Purple
    28285 Pauline Macfarlae
    28790 Nicola bird 2
    28850 Eggyh73
    29684  Radar Sal
    30188 Johnny Lyall
    30213 Dannirr 
    31612 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green
    37185 yer_maj
    37480 Suzy Martines
    37524 SP13
    37991 Emmy_H
    38351 peter burke 5
    38591 Febo
    38783 Cliff Parker
    39107 Trevor Olver
    39586 The Luverly Suzie (aka Mrs Ex-Spartan)
    39638 razdaz
    39658 Iain Moore 2
    39851 Dave The Ex-Spartan
    40116 Nic E
    40483 Tiddy
    40582 Clag
    41369 Monkey man
    42380 Running Rodent
    42561 ATM
    43795 NGUG

Grey
    50009 the jimbob
    50501 swindon dave
    51095 KeyserSuze
    51222 James B 73
    51614 Mrs dj
    52460 TartanPimpernel
    52868 Orbutt

Pink
    58251 Londonliv
    58463 DV
    62660 Marathon Maus

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Kaz - Take it easy and if you need anything - we're always here image

@ATM - I'm very jealous about your run! Sounds perfect! What backpack did you choose in the end?

@DV - 102 mile ultra.... i'm breaking into a sweat just thinking about it! Did you hear the request on TalkUltra for a ultra runner to speak on the show every time/every other show about how they're getting on in training for their ultra? It might help raise your profile for Badwater?

@Yer_Maj - can you not sneeze it onto someone else? image

@Razdaz - Welcome to the thread! image Have you done Paris before?

@jimbob - do you remember his race number or name? You can do a search on the results? A girl from my last marathon did that and found me on facebook.

@Clag - that doesnt sound too bad. You have reps with your club for speed - dont forget that. Also on my MWLR I alternate running at MP and 'easy' pace (so -5/10 secs) so it's not as relaxed as a LSR but I get some speed work over distance in.

A lovely 5 miles this morning. I'm breaking in my other new pair of sauconys to always have a back up pair but they're all shiny and white... i feel the need to run through some mud image

• Options
    RS - no, I seem to remember Stephen was well-groomed, as was the style at the time...!

Don't get me wrong, Wiggins is a hero and I really hope he takes the Giro next year. Froome has gotten what he wanted re: TdF... Let's hope he can do it.