Comments

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Next-year-in-Jerusalem, TD ..

Meanwhile... 18.38,OO!!! The sooner we get you in to eugenics programme

, the better...image
  • Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Tensor Fasciae Latae.  Just found a trigger point in one of mine and it's changed the way my whole leg feels.  Blimey.

For anybody interested in trigger points and the magic worked when you release one...I'm using "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies - it's a great book

• Options

For anyone humming and haaing about signing up for Paris, I've just noticed they're closing the registration on Wednesday. Just over 1,000 places left.

• Options

What are the best books about running you have ever read?

Happy No Injury Year to you all

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    OO - Brilliant time at your parkrun.

Kaz - It must be annoying, but just rest up and take care of yourself. It's only a few days since your operation.

I didn't feel amazing today, more a test of mental stubbornness than anything else. I ended up with a 10:44 m/m average pace. It felt more like 12 or 13 minute miles when doing them right enough. Planning a 5 mile recovery run for tomorrow.
  • Options

Apart from P&D, I haven't read any running books. Maybe I should?

Well done Eggy - 16 miles in the bag.

OO - slow down old boy. You're in the Supervets now!

Went skiing this morning and ran this afternoon. Does that count as a Duathlon? Skiing was weird - 11 degrees. In January! 'It wis a wee bitty blowey on the hill'.  (Check Eggy's dictionary for the meaning)

Run was a 5x1K interval session. Very tough. Off out for a curry and beer tonight to undo all the good work.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

@ wiol.'imagined' biography of Zatopek    Available in English, too. Heartbreaking..  image

• Options
    @Wiol - Born To Run by Chris MacDougall. Changed the way I run. And it's a great read.

I also enjoyed Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes.

Novels: Once A Runner by John L Parker Jr. I love this book. And its sequel, Back To Carthage.
  • Options

Thanks Weedy - I think I've rivalled her back.

Good to hear from you Kaz - remember, you're still getting over the anaesthetic and the general crappiness associated with the whole thing, as well as the actual operation, so it's going to take a while. 

PF - welcome home! I was talking to someone today who did Jersey as  his one and only marathon. He said, with a faint look of horror crossing his face at the memory, 'it was very hilly...and windy....'.

Simon, does this meet your criteria for 'a wee bitty blowey'?

• Options

Wiol - A Race Like No Other, by Liz Robbins, featuring about a dozen people doing the New York Marathon - elites and fun runners, including a recovering alcoholic and a cancer survivor. V inspiring without being mawkish.

I'm halfway through Born to Run - v good.

My six-month-old nephew really, really likes The Hare and The Tortoise image

• Options
    RR - yip, that's about right. The wind blew the cable off a pylon on the Corrie Cas T-bar! That's when I decided to call it a day.
  • Options
    Weedy - The Hare and The Tortoise - what a classic, always comes to mind in a race. I still never pass anyone though.

Correction - sequel to Once A Runner was actually called Again To Carthage.

Iain
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Arrrggg...Power cut! Excuse the typing...Ah, the wonders of a dongle...But te holes in our Armageddon Plan are now clear...A few votive lamps won't do.image  We will have to make our own amusement...

• Options

Feet in the Clouds by somebody Askwith.  Definitely not Robin.

• Options

Knackered.. 8 mile run yesterday along a disused railway line, Ran round Derwentwater this morning (13 miles in the end)  time for a beer

• Options
    Just done 11.5 miles, wanted to do more but sensibly cut it short. Right calf is definitely being a bit naughty over the longer distances, stretched it well at 7 miles and it helped. Any suggestions on how to manage that puppy? I'm thinking, ice.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

All hail Thomas Edison...

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Jimbob:  Trigger Points.  That is all.  Signed, Obsessive from Cardiff....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

+1 for Trigger Point therapy  * And Ah have seen the light! *

All hail ,Finn-who-brought-us-effective-self-massage..*

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

ATM: Jerusalem Marathon??  I want to do it

Books: Born to Run (without whcih I would not be running anymore), Eat and Run

Colds:  this one has grounded me bigtime. Still no real signs of recovery. Pretty much exhausted with little effort. This Disney thing in 6 days is looking pretty grim

• Options

Danni - six days is an age. Sleep and fluids.

Jimbob - is it just a case of too many miles cumulatively?

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jimbob - just taking my first few hesitant steps after a month of calf problems.

The best things are the classic RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation - accompanied by Ibuprofen. I also saw something that said, after a strain avoid WARM - Warmth, Alcohol (honest), Running & Massage - for 3 days.

Hesitant recomendation at the moment (although mine was more HRM image)

• Options

Did someone say rice?

/members/images/727962/Gallery/Happy-Rice-903.jpg

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

ATM:  yeah, I've looked at it many times.  Good chance I'll do it - 2015?  Sure, if you go, I'll go.  Jerusalem has some brutal hills but the idea of a marathon in and amongst all that history is very appealing to me as is the personal family connection.

My mom, at age 16, fought for the underground movement in the 1948 war of Independance. She, along with 8-10 others were "stationed" on a farm in the hills of Jerusalem when they were attacked. All but 2 were killed in hand to hand combat as they had long run out of ammunition. But, also on the farm were 8 children. She and the other surving "soldier" carried those kids out through enemy lines until they were rescued by the Israeli militiary - who had already informed her parents, my grandparents, that she had been killed in action. 

A few years ago we took my Mom back there, along with Mrs D and my kids, and met up with one of the kids she had carried to safety.  Awesome day.

• Options

What a story Danni!

This might be of interest for the ladies on the thread. Kind of a forum thing for women been set up by New Zealand runner Anna Frost to swap issues and advice.
    http://frostysfootsteps.wordpress.com/shout-it-out-girls/

• Options

well, The hobbit was COOL!  loved the superfast speed but can see why it makes people queasy.  Because the film is going so fast they can move the camera around much faster without losing focus so super realistic and you see all the wobbles (done on purpose) that you wouldn't get in a std speed film.  As for the movie itself, I thought it was going to be a bit strung out (3 movies out of one book) but it wasn't and really enjoyed it.

Weedy - ha ha, love the rice.  Are they smiling at their massive floaters?

Dannirr - stick in there!  The slower you end up on the day, the more time you have to hang out with the characters. image

• Options

Dannirr - suspect you'll be proper rested for Goofy, will have no pressure, and you'll run a 'blinder'. No point worrying about it anyway. Kaz my lovely - reset your head. Doesn't matter if it is rain or shine. Running would be utterly bad for you. Make the most of the slower pace of life you have been afforded for a while. Do something qualititively different and imaginative - you have an opportunity!

Cracking run Eggy given your absence from the trail. Excellent determination. 18:38 OO. Someone put Chillis in your breakfast cereal?!

My 4th run today since getting off the injury bench on Boxing Day. 12.6km in drizzle and darkness in the forest, 1h02. Absolutely loved it. Felt proper good to be running again. Wanted to run fast and feel that searing sensation in my lungs but kept a lid on it all. Quietly pleased that this augurs well (compared to the 'no more running' scenario that's been circulating between my ears the last 8 months or so).

Sleep well everyone and for those running big tmrw, enjoy! image

• Options

Belated Happy New Year everyone!

Sorry to hear you haven't been well Kaz, hope you're on the mend. Ihope everyone else is doing well and sticking to all those new year resolutions!!

• Options
    Well 4 days, and 3 books read. I do know how to rest!!

TD- reset my brain...... Interesting.......spent time playing games with the kidz this evening........ Actually good fun but only because they involved lots of thinking! And I won!

Only another 3 weeks 2 days until I can run again........ Not that I am counting!