Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks for the advice folks. I'll probably take heed of all, or some of it. Definitely the eating of chocolate. Toenails are already well manicured.

My daughter and her boyfriend are running in the 10k so I'll go and shout at them instead.

I feel a right wimp when I think about what DV is doing right now!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'll help, Simon. I'm home, have eaten chocolate egg( and buttons inside), am home....I'm not cutting your toenails, though...image

Did 10k ( yes, that's all..) on the treadmill before I nearly passed out through boredom, a fair bit on all the fun machines I've never tried..like pretendy-skiing?...and had the fillings nearly knocked out of my mouth on that vibrating plate-thing..It's just too cold to go outside.

Stay home, S. Inverurie can wait.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hello, Coadybum. *I thought Weedy had a pet name for Orbutt ..* Welcome to the thread..unless we've already had this conversation. That's happening more often, these days... image

The TP100 site seems to have collapsed...I'm sure we'll hear from DV sometime over the next 16+ hours.He's been out for about 4, now.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

The TP100 site seems to have collapsed...I'm sure we'll hear from DV sometime over the next 16+ hours.He's been out for about 4, now.

I thought it was just my ipad not accessing the site. I can see it but no 'live' updates. I've not heard anything from the other teams out on the course (i have a few friends crewing/running/volunteering).

Last update was 2 hours ago: it's f&%king freezing

• ATM - glad you posted that, thought it was just me. If the website's fallen over, I hope that isn't an omen for the runners image .

RS - I'd take it easy if I were you. I'm considering a later start for my run tomorrow - looks like there might be a window about lunchtime when the weather isn't totally crap.

Today was supposed to be a 10k run according to the Plan, but I couldn't find one, so I did a lap of Hyde Park instead. It was only about 6k, but I did manage to hold 10k pace, which in the conditions, will do for me.

Simon - once you've finished shouting at your daughter and eating chocolate, I can highly recommend filling up with hot cross buns.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've got on to this    http://www.centurionrunning.com/live/2013-tp100/   Look at the Leader's times! Eeek! He's passed 28 miles in 3.45  on a trail in this weather?  The site does say that the board is a rough guide only because there are always connectivity issues. No one seems to have been recorded at 11 miles.DV was certainly through that when he texted.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

28 miles in 3:45?!?!  That's 3:30 pace for a marathon?!?!  Scary fast DV!

It's a PROPER blizzard out there at the moment.  Hate to think what's going to happen overnight. image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Drat! DV has twisted his ankle. He's having a coffee and pondering...He's done 22 miles .The conditions are appalling.He slipped on mud. 80 miles ahead...on a twisted ankle? Time to send him the ' Be sensible' vibes..

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

..and the cyber death-stare.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Ouch poor DV.

ATM - don't give Weedy an idea like that. What would Mrs O think?
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

hehe I don't know...It's rather sweet. Coadybum, come back and explain your nickname, please.

DV feels fine..err..apart from the ankle. He says the snow's fine to run in but the mud is horrible. The camber of the mud is hard on the injured ankle. Windsor's 6 miles away.He's heading for there and will re-think..

Radar, DV's not going that fast. That's the leader...It IS scary, though, since the guy's got another 70+ miles ahead...

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Drat! DV has twisted his ankle. He's having a coffee and pondering...He's done 22 miles .The conditions are appalling.He slipped on mud. 80 miles ahead...on a twisted ankle? Time to send him the ' Be sensible' vibes..

((DV)). Healthy sensible vibes are going your way.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    I have a cold image

TD - what's the website for the long run?

I have a raging sore throat RS but  strangely, I don't feel ill (yet!). Website will be www.inthelongrun.org when our webmeister and publicty team get it all up and running. I have every confidence that even as we speak, our webmeister is not going out for a long run in the miserable Scottish weather and is beasting away his keyboard kicking ass with Wordpress as we speak.

How's it going Eggy? image   .... love that man!

Should be finished off next weekend, as I'll have a few days off work and a break from talking to Biochemists on the west coast of the good ol' US of A.

Erm, and yes he was out running. Just done 14 miles through snow and the coldest bloody wind I've ever had to run through. It wasn't my best call to run up and over the Erskine Bridge and take the full battering of the wind with no cover at all. I'm now off to defrost my face and see if any feeling returns to my nose. Although I do feel like a wimp as I had my thermal tights on and some lad went running past me in shorts!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Radar, DV's not going that fast. That's the leader...It IS scary, though, since the guy's got another 70+ miles ahead...

Looking at the leaderboard - I KNOW the Leader! He runs the Thames Meander and Bewl marathons. Absolutely top bloke. He's a super fast marathoner but his 100 time will come down.

It's good to see Mimi Anderson is holding her own amongst the blokes!

• Running Rodent wrote (see)
    ATM - glad you posted that, thought it was just me. If the website's fallen over, I hope that isn't an omen for the runners image .

RS - I'd take it easy if I were you. I'm considering a later start for my run tomorrow - looks like there might be a window about lunchtime when the weather isn't totally crap.

Today was supposed to be a 10k run according to the Plan, but I couldn't find one, so I did a lap of Hyde Park instead. It was only about 6k, but I did manage to hold 10k pace, which in the conditions, will do for me.

Simon - once you've finished shouting at your daughter and eating chocolate, I can highly recommend filling up with hot cross buns.

talking of late starts tomorrow RR, i'm probably going to go very early as the temperature isn't going to rise really so better to run when there's very little on the roads (so i can get in the road). If you want to meet me at the Thames in the morning i'll be there at 7.45am! run around the west end parks till about 9 and scoot home on the tube i suppose! (now there's an offer a girl can't refuse!) image check out my running gear ....

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/bensaunders.jpg

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    ATM wrote (see)

Doh!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

OK - i've looked at the times and there's some serious discrepancy going on. I wouldnt trust the initial numbers as they're being bulk uploaded.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

ATM - that's terribly bad luck for DV. I was out in South East London for a 15 miler this morning and the weather was awful - snow and wind. I was on pavements though. It's all kind of melting so I can imagine the mud must be terrible. Fingers crossed for him.

• Sorry to hear about DV struggling with his run , top man for even trying it in these conditions

Thinking about going out for my long run just now , it'll be cold no matter what time I do it this weekend image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Malcs, I was just thinking about you....'not in a creepy way , I swear.I keep forgetting that you're not actually doing Paris. As I remember, you're a few weeks' behind' us, right? So, you might have more LSRs to do? Do you run with music? Have you thought about downloading the mp3' guide' from the Paris site.It 'talks' you through the course...to music...pointing out the sights.You choose your own' time goal' so that the pace is ok..You could always do a LSR the day we're racing and follow us in spirit... image * Well, it's blizzarding outside and I have too much time on my hands...*

Anyone else going to use music in Paris? I'm polishing my playlist.I won't listen all the time but I find it helps when I get tired...which is most of the time.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭
    Thanks ATM for the updates, I think it's us saturating the site looking for info on DV. He could lose a leg and say it was only a scratch and hop on.
  • TJB - attractive though that offer is, I'm planning to be in bed with the Sunday papers and a porridge pot at 7:45am.

Mimi Anderson's out of the TP100 image . Apparently it was so cold at the first aid station that the gas froze and they couldn't make tea imageimage . Twitterites can follow the carnage on #tp100 .
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    PC91 wrote (see)
    Thanks ATM for the updates, I think it's us saturating the site looking for info on DV. He could lose a leg and say it was only a scratch and hop on.

I think the same of DV

• I always listen to music, not too loud that I can't soak up the atmosphere though.  Got the MP3 download from paris, just have to try and get it onto my ipod now.  Sounds good though.

Watching Rocky now...!!  had a cup of tea and a biscuit and walked the dogs.  That's me done till 0730 tomorrow morning.

evening all ......

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    Mimi Anderson's out of the TP100 image . Apparently it was so cold at the first aid station that the gas froze and they couldn't make tea imageimage . Twitterites can follow the carnage on #tp100 .

Carnage is exactly the way to describe it.  These ultra runners are MAD.  It's funny how my definition of mad physical activity has changed since I started doing marathons and got friends that do ironman tris. image but image for DV, his ankle and everyone else out in it.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV is stopping at 28 miles. He feels it's the sensible decision because the ankle means his progress is too slow. He's going to send some photos.* yeah! Damage limitation has got to be a good idea. Must be dead annoying, though. *

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I'm hearing from other people on the course that they are dropping like flies. The temperature is just too cold. These are the sensible ones!

A shame for Mimi to have stopped image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Good on DV for making the sensible damage limitation decision.  Sucks the big one though!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.

Charles Kingsley

My favourite quote, I think.

• Good call DV, I think. I'd be very surprised if it goes the distance. Mind you, I'm very surprised anyone can run 100 miles at the best of times, so what do I know?