Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Radar Sal wrote (see)

DV - well done for getting to 28 miles! on a twisted ankle too!!!  Are you still doing your run to Paris and back? with an itty bitty marathon in the middle.

No..  the Paris run was abandoned quite a while ago..   I can't do it without crew support and I had no one to help me...  so..  I'll be on the Eurostar both ways...  I'll be getting to Paris on Friday morning and home on Monday night.

• RS - that's the primary motivating reason for me using previous event t-shirts! If you're feeling truly awful, you know the answer. Foreshorten or abandon. There's always tomorrow.

Jus T - I already have my crappy throwaway jumper sorted, it's a good idea. I wasn't warm enough until about 6k last year to take it off!

• Ok, I know I've probably missed it - but what is this Pirate thing you and some of the other legends have DV?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

DV - well done for getting to 28 miles! on a twisted ankle too!!!  Are you still doing your run to Paris and back? with an itty bitty marathon in the middle.

No..  the Paris run was abandoned quite a while ago..   I can't do it without crew support and I had no one to help me...  so..  I'll be on the Eurostar both ways...  I'll be getting to Paris on Friday morning and home on Monday night.

Bummer!  When are you coming back on Monday? RR & I are on the one leaving Paris at 13:07

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

RS - that's the primary motivating reason for me using previous event t-shirts! If you're feeling truly awful, you know the answer. Foreshorten or abandon. There's always tomorrow.

yeah, there's no tomorrow here.  Work 'n' all.  I shall continue to consider my wardrobe options...

• It's the Runners World based Ironman Triathlon pseudo club
  • PC, KAZ, to be fair it was silly o'clock at 5.10 when my youngest got me out of bed this morning. It was 7 when i first went on the thread, too grumpy to come on before. No endorphin rush after today's 15 miles but a strong workout and some bloody cold headwinds followed by a stonking steep mile of hill (into another bloody headwind) to finish me off and drag me average down to 7m50s. Could have carried on but probably not a good idea seeing as PARIS IS TWO WEEKS AWAY!

DV You legend!
  • Re: Grand Prix - the BBC have described the podium as follows:

Sebastian Vettel manages a half smile on the podium, but I'm struggling to think of a time when I last saw such a muted, unhappy podium.

Mark Webber refuses to celebrate with Sebastian Vettel when they pop the corks on their champagne bottles. Webber then decides not to put his arm around the back of Vettel when they pose for the traditional podium photo.   Dear oh dear...

• RS - I don't want to influence your decision, but at the moment Accuweather is predicting 'hair frizz risk' as 'moderate'. Is that a risk you're willing to take?

DLR - yes, that's the one. It's not him reading it, bu it's quite good.

I saw these on sale recently. I think they're meant for fancy dress, but it did occur to me they'd be quite cosy for wearing on the start line - and I'm only partly joking:

http://www.hawkin.com/bubble-wrap-costume
  • Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Ok, I know I've probably missed it - but what is this Pirate thing you and some of the other legends have DV?

It an Iron Man thing...  its a collection of people off this RW site who decided to have a go at Iron Man...  and it just developed from there...  there are now a lot of people who have the Pirate logo but just do shorter distance tri instead.   I did my first IM in 2008 and have also done Double Iron Man (4.8mile swim, 224 miles bike, 52 miles run).  However, since my failure at swimming the Channel in 2011 (after the 87 mile London to Dover run) I can't swim anymore so won't be able to do any more tri.  Go to any of the large established tri's and you'll find a massive Priate presence.   Their support is legendary across Europe.

Pirates have a very distinctive yellow and black kit wth the skull and crossbones logo.   I'll wear it in Paris, just for you!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    RS - I don't want to influence your decision, but at the moment Accuweather is predicting 'hair frizz risk' as 'moderate'. Is that a risk you're willing to take?

I saw these on sale recently. I think they're meant for fancy dress, but it did occur to me they'd be quite cosy for wearing on the start line - and I'm only partly joking:

http://www.hawkin.com/bubble-wrap-costume

that is a big risk!  and I WANT ONE of those!!  popping the bubbles would nicely occupy me in the starting pen.

IM2 - on the pirates.  I got curious a while back and the origins are hiliarious.  Can't find the race report that started it but is pretty much an account (by two racers) of...I had fun, didn't take it too seriously and randomish sh1t happened that I never thought I would do.  The pirate theme apparently came from a pirate sticker that one of them used to secure his patent-pending food delivery system, of a mini pack of pringles to his bike.  All the pringles fell out when he hit the first bump. DV will know better though, he's a proper pirate arrrggghhhh.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    When i started getting into tri a few years ago my aim was to be a pirate. Forget the serious nonsense. I wanted to be with others who took drinking and eating as seriously as meimage

I just can't commit to the training at the moment for an ironman.

All this talk of wardrobe decisions makes me think that we need a thread t-shirtimage take the decision away!
  • Dark Vader wrote (see)
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Ok, I know I've probably missed it - but what is this Pirate thing you and some of the other legends have DV?

It an Iron Man thing...  its a collection of people off this RW site who decided to have a go at Iron Man...  and it just developed from there...  there are now a lot of people who have the Pirate logo but just do shorter distance tri instead.   I did my first IM in 2008 and have also done Double Iron Man (4.8mile swim, 224 miles bike, 52 miles run).  However, since my failure at swimming the Channel in 2011 (after the 87 mile London to Dover run) I can't swim anymore so won't be able to do any more tri.  Go to any of the large established tri's and you'll find a massive Priate presence.   Their support is legendary across Europe.

Pirates have a very distinctive yellow and black kit wth the skull and crossbones logo.   I'll wear it in Paris, just for you!

Thanks RS, great story - I look forward to seeing your kit in Paris DV!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Well, I made a cool picture of a possible thread emblem BUT have been thwarted by the thread bugs.  Not impressed!!!
  • It seems to me that it takes more courage and wisdom to quit a race sometimes, than it does to mindlessly plough on. Well done DV, good call. Good job everyone else for braving up through the bad weather. I confidently predict no one will be ready for a 28C marathon in Paris in 2 weeks timeimage

Still got flues sore throat so no running this weekend but am doing a lovely job of fitting new skirting boards instead. Who doesn't love playing with power tools?!
  • You really don't need to take it seriously to do an IM..   its not as hard as it looks...  I went from nothing to IM in 9 months..   when I signed up I didn't own a bike and had never in my life even swum one length of a pool...   there are umpteen Pirate related stories..   my feeding innovation (hugely influenced by Monique's pringle container) was a baby feeding cup stuck with duck tape between the aerobars of my tri bike.  I stuck more duck take on the lid as a hinge...  then..  I would put treats and nibbles inside and they were easily accessible when required.  

The pirate training plan for IM is this...   swim a bit, bike a lot, run a bit.   That's all there is to it.

If you want to be sub-10 and take it seriously then you need to train...  but if you just want a good day out, lots of piss-taking and friendly abuse and a damn good laugh then its easily within reach of most people.  If you can run a marathon, you can do an IM.

I've never done a tri shorter than IM distance....

• Been out, done that.  Sun was out, glorious, thankfully not too hot image

clouded over now, so am pleased to be home.  15k nice loop and the last time I did that I was 3 mins slower...yeah. 

Will do the same next Sunday I think.

Enjoy Sunday peep, I'm off to clean a bedroom for some brave person who has come here for B&B ......

• Some people read the papers in bed on a Sunday. For me it's the Paris forum!

Outstanding effort in nasty conditions DV.

That gale that's howling outside sounds Baltic. Why can't I hide under a blanket and eat chocolate instead of going for a run?
  • DV - In serious awe of you, running a marathon+ on a twisted ankle......

RS - I am of the decision that 22 on Tuesday is toooo much and I am backing that with my current lazitis!!image Now I am thinking - usual 10 tomorrow and 15 on Tuesday then prob my usual 10 on Wednesday, day off Thursday.........But all may be subject to change given weather and meetings this week....image As for the wardrobe situation, if my daughter has her way and she wants my t-shirt co-ordinated with my trainers, my Paris t-shirt would be the only one I could wear but I think it will be Minnie the Minx again!image

My face feels like someones skelped it.......image

• It's nice to get one's training done early. In this campaign, only about 10 percent of my runs have been in the dark. After going splat back in November It's obvious why I chose to train mostly in the mornings/or lunch hours. But I'm lucky, some people's lifestyles don't give them much of a choice.
  • I can't wait for the early light mornings, so I can get all my training done again at KOC. The joy of heading to work on a morning with  miles already run or a circuit training class already done will be good! And I will have so much more free time to garden, walk dog.........Sunbathe?!?!?

• Couple of PBs today in the GPS data, .6min05secs for a mile and 3.29 for a km. Wasn't expecting those, at times today I did "take off" when I wasn't running into a headwind!
  • Just back from sainsburys...   it was definitely a good decision to stop..  my ankle and achilles is sore again...  earlier this morning I was questioning my decision and thinking that perhaps I should have kept going for a bit longer, but now I'm in no doubt that it was the right decision.

Lots of runners out today....  

• TJB - you're flying dude.

Curry and beer last night have meant I am recuperating without a run this am... Boy, idiotic behaviour.

So, was checking out some other RW threads. I had only ever really been on this one and last year's Berlin thread. People are REALLY nice on this one. A fair amount of hurtful sarcasm and name-calling it would seem on some of the others. You feel like telling everyone to grow up. So, I'm sticking to this one. Forever.
  • What I mean is, you people are great. Thanks.

I look forward to breaking bread, pasta and wine with y'all soon.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good call Iain- I'm on another marathon thread but this is by far the friendliest. And wait till you meet them !

22 miles for me this morning in the windiest conditions I've experienced for a long time. Good mara campaigns are made of runs like that....

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 - I'm with you on that. Some of the other threads are quite abusive and there seem to be some characters who are just out to troll.

I think there are a large number of long standing disagreements amongst some of the participants out there so as soon as one of them posts the others begin a flame war. Pah.

The Berlin thread is quite nice image but that could be because it is 'Son of Paris'.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    DV - wise choice, and well done for the run! Until November I would have said that I could not imagine anyone running in those conditions, but I saw what you ran to Brighton in, so now I say, "well, no-one but DV!" Great job.

RS - in the same way that I can see DV in these extreme runs, I see you I the marathon. I cannot imagine you'll not finish simply because that's not possible.

Two weeks. Hard to believe. So cool. Might sound corny, but I think I'm more excited at seeing you lot than the marathon itself. Maybe.
  • Here here to all the above!!

We're excited but I have an eleven yr old packing one handed as we 'speak'.......I think I may be in for a very long few days!! I love seeing her like this really!!!image

• Orbutt - 'son of Paris' - I love it!

Dannirr - me too.