Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• LOL.......I'm on Rocky III at the moment, gotta love em

• Rocky is a superb sequence of films...   image   I, like many tourists, have run up those steps and jumped up and down pretending to be him...   

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Onetit wrote (see)

LOL.......I'm on Rocky III at the moment, gotta love em

I've never seen a Rocky film image

• TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

There are loads of portaloos on the start and the goodie box kept me going when all shops closed during Hurricane Sandy!

Read that too quickly TP. Was wondering to myself for a second why they would have loads of potatoes at the start.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Onetit wrote (see)

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Onetit wrote (see)

Nor me image

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    Onetit wrote (see)

Moi non plus ...

• Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

There are loads of portaloos on the start and the goodie box kept me going when all shops closed during Hurricane Sandy!

Read that too quickly TP. Was wondering to myself for a second why they would have loads of potatoes at the start.

Maybe in Dublin  image

• No Rocky films image I have the complete box set and there is nothing like them for motivating me!!! Love them!!! image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

TJB - I've opted for the video too but last year I was able to 'Borrow' the stuff that is available online to make up the movie. Didn't fancy buying them allimage

I'm hoping that this option will be open to me again this year too.

Weedy - Potatoes. LOL

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Rocky is a superb sequence of films...   image   I, like many tourists, have run up those steps and jumped up and down pretending to be him...   

whenever i do my central london LSR - i run up the steps at the back of trafalger square in the style of Rocky!

• Emmy - Thanks for the offer of a gel belt.  Fingers crossed, I am sorted thanks to DLR.

No, I too have never seen a Rocky film.  Isn't there a rather nasty split eye sequence.   That always but me off.

Having yet more vivid dreams.  All to do with turning up late or wearing running gear with kitten mules image

• WHOT....No Rocky films, I too have the box set....

Just back from my run, and am a tad worried that I think I'm just ticking along keeping up the momentum and my times are really quicker than previous same runs.  WOW.....

Eye of the Tiger.....!!  Get those film on...you don't know what you are missing..image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

YM, TP, EH.  How can you not have seen Rocky ? Unless of course you don't have tellies.  Perhaps it a sign that I'm getting old (at 40) as Rocky was my generation. I haven't seen Twilight or High School Musical !

Taper Madness: Defcon level 3.

I'm looking at possible marathons in 2014, however my wife is looking at holidays during my possible training period.  To be fair we started to plan a 3-4 week holiday to Thailand 2 years ago. The heat will drain me of any remaining energy I have left after the kids have finished with me so it would be impossible to train. I've just realised that I will have to cross out Paris 2014 image.  I'll still be there supporting you lot !  I'll have to decide between Berlin or Amsterdam but that will leave an 18 month gap between my marathons.  But then I'll be back for Paris 2015 image !!!  This is probably better for me, as I can do local 10k and HM to gain experience as our little jaunt a week on Sunday will only be my 4th race.

Anyone have a list of which lists we have to prepare ?

• No Rocky over here either, might load them on the tablet to watch on the plane?

PC - I just listed up, so far i have the following (warning: list nerd alert!)

1.0 Packing

1.1 Running stuff

1.2 Mr T holiday stuff

1.3 My holiday stuff

1.4 Bathroom/First aid

1.5 Stuff to carry on

1.6 Misc & Documents (what to print and take electronically)

2.0 What needs to be done before we go away

3.0 What to buy to take away

4.0 What movies to "borrow" to watch in transit

5.0 What books to read in transit

Also have completed many many lists of work that needs to be done before we leave next wed but I'm sure, as much as you love lists, your care factor will be low on that one...

Happy to take suggestions for any of the above lists! image

• You've got to like boxing too of course - which I do.  But they are great films.  I do have a tendancy to start "boxing" if the tunes come on the Ipod, so beware if anyone is anywhere near me in a race....LOL

Lists......I've just printed off everything, a map for each route we're taking to / from stations/hotels/pub/restaurant....

Got a good book on the go, so that will suffice on the train and back, there's always French homework if not image

Just found HUGE tub of vasaline unopened...yeah.

Anyone use heat gels/painkiller gels before a race? 

oooh and Tea bags.....

• @TJB....so it was you I used to see when I worked on the corner of Traf. Sq then.... LOL

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

My number one thing to do before Paris: taxes.  image

• Just finished packing and fly to the U.K. tomorrowimage

• Planning a spring marathon for 2014 - anyone done Vienna?

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

IM2..   I think you'll find it is affectionately called Philly...  not Phillie..  image

DV - my bad!

TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

MCM registration opens at noon Washington time today, last year places sold out in 2h41m .... I went with a tour group to guarantee a place.  It's smallish, very friendly, and the medal is the biggest piece of  bling ever!  There are loads of portaloos on the start and the goodie box kept me going when all shops closed during Hurricane Sandy!

TP - your race report last year was epic, as was the weather it seemed. I'd love to do it. No doubt I'll be busy at work and miss the MCM anyway...

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Iain - If you run Philly you can always pretend to be Rocky!

Eggy - I've run those steps and, just like DV, loved it!

• Ooh, I'd love to run up those Rocky steps. A friend of mine lives in Philadelphia and she's run up the steps. 

Hi all, how's everything going?

I went to the doctor this morning to get my medical certificate done and dusted. It didn't go brilliantly - she refused on the grounds of conscientiousness and that she's not my regular doctor. I told her I don't have a regular doctor with that practice as mine retired and they keep changing the other doctors, all my records are on the system and it's a standard form required for the race. 

The head receptionist then told me they could book me in for an examination, give me their certificate signed and stamped, and charge me £35 - possibly by next Friday. 

I did worry I'd have this, but thought thr GP surgery might be able to cope with a non standard request. Evidently not. 

I'll try another doctor. Grr. 

Aside from that, saw Eels last night who were brill. Felt very decadent, it being mid week and all. I did manage to fit in a speedy 4.5M between work and the gig though, so feel like the balance has been redressed slightly. 

• Onetit wrote (see)

@TJB....so it was you I used to see when I worked on the corner of Traf. Sq then.... LOL

I think i saw you blowing kisses at me - and i nearly crashed into one of the lions! image

• ha ha......I'm half way through the ironing and Rocky III.....Mr T - don't you just have to laugh..

I'd love to run up those steps. 

I'm thinking of Barca next March, himindoors tells me I should wait till I've crossed the finish line on the 7th...image

• Love the "Apollo" ref by the way....

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Seems like we might be gearing up for a "Paris Thread does Barcelona" situation here....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Onetit wrote (see)

I'm thinking of Barca next March, himindoors tells me I should wait till I've crossed the finish line on the 7th...image

If you do decide it - Yer_maj and I will be there as well. It's just moved the date to: 16th March (just FYI)

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

TJB - was it you who mentioned Porridge Pots for Paris? You may want to check with your hotel as most Parisienne hotels don't provide kettles in rooms.

I think we should also have a little warning section on the scams and scam artists in Paris.
    Obviously, there are pick pockets - good ones. Keep your valuables out of harms way.
    There are variations on the old shell game where you need to pick one out of 3 discs. Not only are they very skillful operators but they also have colleagues working with them to make it look like its possible to win.
    There is the 'Gold Ring' scam, where someone will 'find' a 'Gold' ring just in front of you - they will offer it to you and ask for some cash as a finders fee. Best tack, laugh and walk away - after checking that it isn't yours.
    Petitions - honest. We were approached by loads of young girls, pretending to be deaf mute, who wanted you to sign a petition. Walk away, they're after money too.
    Another petition is for World Peace. After which you will be asked to make a donation.
    Cotton Bracelets. Often found by Sacre Coeur. You will be approached by someone who wants to make you a woven bracelet out of cotton. They weave them on your wrist. They are actually quite neat but then the request for money, sometimes quite high, will come and refusal will often offend the large gentleman and his friends.

Forewarned is forearmed.

• Orbutt wrote (see)

TJB - was it you who mentioned Porridge Pots for Paris? You may want to check with your hotel as most Parisienne hotels don't provide kettles in rooms.

Orb, thankfully hotel is B&B so i'll just grab so hot eau when i'm down there for a cuppa - might take a couple of pg pyramids actually