Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Orbutt wrote (see)
    Maus - is 'hose you down' another one of those Aussie euphemisms ?image

Probably! I'll add it to my (ever-lengthening) list of 'things people in the UK/British Isles won't understand when you say them'...image

JB: loved Argo too.

• I still can't believe I am fretting about it being cold and its going to be warmer than I am used too!!!

At some point during the night, I came to this conclusion - vest with short sleeve t-shirt over top, 3/4 tights with knee length compression shorts, gloves and a fleece which I can either throw away tie around my middle etc and sun glasses????image And now I'll better get posh and purchase a hankerchief!!!image

Still dark here today after the clock change, but more strenghting exercises done. I am particularly impressed with my ability to do single leg squats and dumbell presses at the same time(or maybe I'm jst trying to defer from the overwhelming sense of impending doom!!)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

always worry when Tricky gets his pole out

• OO:  boom boomimage

RR:  well just remember keep your bikini to hand for the weekend of 4-5 May as will probably be a mini heat wave - but I'm prepared for that - sort of image

• Jimbob: + 1 for Argo - fab film

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Welcome Lucy!

Can I be a real pain? ATM would you be able to summarise where we need to be and when in the mobile numbers email? E.g.

Sat evening : pasta papas at xxxx, metro xxxx, by 5.45

That kinda thing? I've tried to make a list of everything but feel like I'm bound to miss something!

Weedy - if you're looking for someone to walk with to the pre meet up - I'll join you.
  • For all you people panicking and worrying about your preparation for the race. It's absolutely normal part of Taper Madness. You can never have a marathon race fully under control. There's so many variables and for every person trying to perform their best in the event, you are right at the outer edges of your performance capabilities so nothing is guaranteed.

If it was, it wouldn't be the challenge it is and we'd all be completely satisfied running 5K races.

Please don't worry. Enjoy the experience. Exercise your chimps then let your human take over. Very specifically, there's a big crowd of us going to be there from the thread, so don't worry about being on your own, not supported etc. I don't really know what hosing down is MM but we are there for you and you will do it. And you can hold DVs hand all the way round and keep him safeimage

Ok am off to go for a boat ride in some caves with visiting family. I'm in full on tourist mode! Happy April my running fool buddies!
  • Argo - I'll be the threader that says, meh. Was enjoyable but if it weren't for Alan Arkin and John Goodman as the Hollywood movie guys, I'd have been a bit bored... In general, Oscar awards the more bland, more successful pics than the true quality, as I think it did this year.

Now, for another London run before home. Not really too worried re: clothes on Sunday. I did just wonder where all you guys in the Arc photo last year got the white plastic mac-type things? Was it at the expo? If so I assume they were gone when I got there late on Saturday. I'll look out for them this year...
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭
    image I was all set to wear shorts and a vest being a hardy Scot. The forecast is suggesting temperatures of around 8 or 9C where I've looked. Anything over 10C constitutes shorts in training, anything over 4C for a race. Might take gloves just in case as they're always handy.

Will consider it further & pack tomorrow.
  • Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

I don't really know what hosing down is MM but we are there for you and you will do it. 

I'm not hosing her down.  

Not after last time.

Iain - the plastic capes will be in the expo goodie bag.

With me it's always warmer in Paris than I'm used to.  Even last year was warmer than most runs I'd do hence I always wear short shorts and a vest.  The arm warmers were a concession to the gale force winds and they worked well - kept the wind chill down without risking over heating.  

My rule of thumb is that you always need less than you think on a run and especially a race as you soon warm up.

In the pens though I get cold.  Not sure if that's because I'm standing around for best part of an hour, in the shade at the equivalent of 7am in the UK or whether it's mainly nerves.

I guess my advice is that you can't wear too much in the pens but wear as little as possible for the race.*

*Especially the ladies.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

I don't really know what hosing down is MM but we are there for you and you will do it. 

I'm not hosing her down.  

Not after last time.

Iain - the plastic capes will be in the expo goodie bag.

With me it's always warmer in Paris than I'm used to.  Even last year was warmer than most runs I'd do hence I always wear short shorts and a vest.  The arm warmers were a concession to the gale force winds and they worked well - kept the wind chill down without risking over heating.  

My rule of thumb is that you always need less than you think on a run and especially a race as you soon warm up.

In the pens though I get cold.  Not sure if that's because I'm standing around for best part of an hour, in the shade at the equivalent of 7am in the UK or whether it's mainly nerves.

I guess my advice is that you can't wear too much in the pens but wear as little as possible for the race.*

*Especially the ladies.

Admit it, you didn't need the arm warmers, you just wanted a distraction from your short shorts. image

For the weather obsessed, I did a bit of research: last year it was a low of 4 and a high of 11 (sorry, couldn't find an hourly breakdown).  So 3 degrees colder this year...discuss...

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

Good morning All. My contributions to this thread have been spasmodic to say the least. A couple of family issues have occupied my time over the past couple of weeks. But all seems to be moving in right direction now *touches wood* so I can concentrate on this little jaunt over next weekend.

Hoping to do the Expo Friday afternoon after arrival. Hopefully will be able to make the Saturday run and the 0800 meet up at the Arc. Hotel is literally a few mins away so really convenient. Definitely be in the pub on Sunday night.

Think it's looking like long sleeve top,vest and shorts weather. Ran Ashby 20 a couple of weeks ago in the rain sleet and snow like that and whilst it was a bit chilly for the first few miles it was fine after.

Hope everyone's taking things easy over the next few days. Not much you can do to make things better now. Look after yourselves!

• Radar Sal wrote (see)
    Admit it, you didn't need the arm warmers, you just wanted a distraction from your short shorts. image

For the weather obsessed, I did a bit of research: last year it was a low of 4 and a high of 11 (sorry, couldn't find an hourly breakdown).  So 3 degrees colder this year...discuss...

They're not so much shorts as loose hot pants.  Definite cheek on display at the rear.

3 degrees colder is much better in my opinion.  Almost can't get too cold image  It's ironic: the two best years for weather have been the two years I haven't run Paris.  Expect a chuffing heatwave again next year.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

That's enough weather guys.  It's a new week.  This week's it's all about the PACKING.

I've made my list.  Now I'm going for a run... image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I really want to tell you all that the weather forecast has changed dramatically (it's now for snowimage ) or that they've moved the start time to earlier to avoid the cold or said that it's now mandatory to wear your rubbish bag for the first 5 kms because of the cold...but I'm not that mean and know how the tapir afflicted can react...but it'd be funny if I did...for me. image april fools fail for me. image

• Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Mr Maus is 25,000 km away, uncontactable and unable to hose me down.image

Marathon Maus wrote (see)

Probably! I'll add it to my (ever-lengthening) list of 'things people in the UK/British Isles won't understand when you say them'...image

In all seriousness Maus it's a minefield.  If you need any advice on phrases to avoid or swap with I'm always happy to help.  I'm quite well versed in the Ocker language.image

I know what you mean by 'hose me down'.  There is a similar expression in the British vernacular that derives from the anglo-saxon tenet that having riches rained upon you would take away all your worries.  

So, if in polite society the expression to use would be "I wish my husband wasn't 25,000km away, as I really could do with a golden shower".

Just trust me on these things.  You won't go far wrong.

• Looks like it'll be long sleeves with vest ,over it, and a pair of gloves. For lower body, long tights. I've never ran with a glove or long tight before, so may have to practice in my only 1-2 remaining short runs. Will be ready by the time I get to Paris.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    IM2 and DLR - I went a to the Expo at Saturday lunchtime last year. The gave the ponchos out from a table just after the goody bags - these were the ones printed with the word Running. Maybe they were originally in the goody bags but I definitely had to grab one.

I also didn't get the Marathon de Paris buff in my goody bag, I got a wrist sweatband. Would have preferred the buff.
  • Larri wrote (see)
    Looks like it'll be long sleeves with vest ,over it, and a pair of gloves. For lower body, long tights. I've never ran with a glove or long tight before, so may have to practice in my only 1-2 remaining short runs. Will be ready by the time I get to Paris.

Maybe try 3/4 length Larri?  In my view they feel a bit more natural than full length and the cold is usually felt on the front of the thigh - lower leg is fine.

• Oh I'm so pleased you lot are chatty and keeping me sane....!  Whenever I'm feeling a tad on the downside, I log on and have a few "laugh out loud" moments.

re ARGO - TOP film, certainly one of my best for a very long time.

what to wear - short (capped sleeved - get me!) top, long bottoms, can't wear vests (did in Rome...OUCH) any sun at all and I'm shoulder crisp.  Long bottoms as the one and only time I ran in shorts in a marathon was Paris 2007 and I failed big time (finished but barely walking). So never again.  Not sure my right thigh has ever forgiven me.  I think it was the shock of exposing more flesh than needed

Cold v hot.....due to illness I've got a inbuild woodburner inside me, anthing above 10 degs and I'm moving then I'm one big sweat bucket.  I always wear cotton gloves, even on a short run, as my elbows sweat - no kidding - and face, so wiping away all that is a must.  And if it is really cold then they keep my hands warm and stop my water bottle from freezing to my hands.

Always carry a packet of tissues for blowing nose (at the end) and wiping away tears of joy or pain.... image

Am taking old hoody to chuck at the start and see if it comes back this time - it has never failed me yet......but I keep trying image

Off for a short jog later as the sun is still out but it's windy and that's very cold.

Big match up later so I could be SO HAPPY or VERY UNHAPPY for the rest of the afternoon.  It will be one or the other.....

Happy Holiday Monday to you all

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    I did a trial kit run yesterday.

I run with a hydration belt, which I fully loaded with fluids gels and phone. I'd forgotten how

a) heavy it was

b) how strange it felt.

By the end of the run I was happy with it though so it was a good test.

I also tried a short sleeved shirt with a compression top and shorts. It was a chilly day and I felt it in my arms. Legs seemed ok.

Conclusion. If the weather next week is going to be as cold as yesterday then I'll go with a long sleeve top. Otherwise shorts and short sleeves.

Now I've just got to settle on the colours - red, white and blue or blue, white and red
  • Oh shit.....Orbutt you've just started alarm bells ringing again......I've never ran with my hydration belt since my op as it sits right on the scar..........It will be ok.........

And you've all got me wondering, still, about a long sleeve top.......but I suppose as DLR says its difinately going to be warmer then here.....but I always wear a jacket, hat, gloves and base layer here......Definately tights and no shorts this yr as I think it was the cold that f****d my thigh last yr.......bloody heckimage

Clag - Where abouts are you from??

• A few more days and we'll all be on our way to gay Paris...   image

We had a few days at Chessington this weekend...  whatever Paris will be like, it has to be warmer than the windchill of a ride at Chessington...!   It was lots of fun though and we stayed in the hotel there.  I don't think we've laughed as much as a family as did on our last ride on Dragon's Fury..  Mrs DV could barely speak or breathe because she was laughing so much...

Hearing my daughter point out in the sealife centre that two star fish were having sex was rather a parental shock..  it's the first time I've heard her mention sex.  That's a bit different to having the discussion about how babies are born...!

I'll update the list later..   if anyone has any pen or number changes to make, or you are a newbie and want to be added to the list please say so..

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭
    DV - I'm planning to switch to blue at the expo if that has any impact on the list.
  • Brrrrr was out earlier and it was freezing, had 3 layers on.  Went round the lake which is normally calm but with the biting wind today it was all choppy.  Glad I'm not the only one stressing about what the hell to wear .... think I'll go for long sleeved t (can push sleeves up later), prob long below as well, gloves and hoodie which I will discard when I warm up, and last year's buff round the neck to start with and can shift to head if it gets too hot .... and an arm band for my shot bloks and metro ticket.  Oh and posh hankie, although I'm still packing a eucalyptus tissue to sniff if I feel sick (honestly it works).

• Morning all.

So, no rain on Sunday but pigging freezing (windchill 4 degrees).  I've decided to wear my running jacket which has long sleeves.  Nothing underneath except the obligatory sports-bra.  That way I am protected from the wind and it will hopefully be aerated enough to keep me cool later on.     

• Cheers Emmy. Hopefully we can catch up at the Expo and work out things for later.

Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Michel, Patricia.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
    Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Keyser Suze, Straycelt.
    Apr 27: Shakespeare Rotary Marathon - Richard L.
    Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan. Sunderland Half - Iain M.
    May 1: Montauban 18k - Onetit.
    May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
    May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
    May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
    May 9: Trois Rocs Trail Ultra - Onetit.
    May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
    May 12: Chester Half - Dave The Ex Spartan. Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
    May 25-26: Chislet 24-hour challenge - DV.
    May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
    May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
    Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
    Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Jun 22: Hadrian's Wall Ultra - Richard L.
    Jun 23: Alnwick Half - Iain M. Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
    Jul 4: Peachtree 10k - Danni.
    Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
    Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - Emmy, Helterskelter, Iain M, Maus, RR, TD.
    Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
    Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
    Jul 30: Maus' birthday.
    Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
    Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
    Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
    Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
    Sep 8: Run to the Beat Half - Jimbob.
    Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
    Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
    Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
    Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
    Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
    Oct 6: Barcelona Tri - Simon Mac. Cardiff Half - Yer Maj. Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
    Oct 13: Chicago Marathon - Danni. Marine Corps Marathon - Iain M, Rick James.
    Oct 20: Yorkshire Marathon - Malcs.
    Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
    Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy. Venice Marathon - Elizabeth.
    Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
    Nov 2: DLR's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday. Peter B's birthday.

• Deep Red, shocking Purple or just plain old Chavs Blue  mmmmmm cannot decide what colour to pain my leftover toe nails.....

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @onetit - I was looking at some Union Jack nails to truly make my outfit 'festive' but they won't deliver them before Friday. I think I'll just coordinate with my tights/top and go for blue.

I've just been out to recce some bike routes and I an confirm the following:

- it's bloody cold

- my feet are freezing

- my husband could not find his way out of a paper bag

- I'm still cold after a shower and lunch!

@Kaz - don't worry about it. Use what you're used to or try it out on one of your runs this week.

@Elisabeth - I don't know if I'd be able to wear a jacket and just a bra. It might give DLR ideasimage

If anyone needs a space blanket for the pens- lemme know. I have plenty here.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I overheat around 3 degrees so it's shorts for me.although I'll be blue under the Arc, I'll be scarlet by about 5k...image T-shirt below vest or not? This week, I will be mostly thinking about that...

Meantime, here,   https://plus.google.com/photos/117729082344820870557/albums/5805084366828840641/5861832125398559442?banner=pwa

is Carl D, already  a vetran of races on cold days.