Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Jus T wrote (see)
    It's just devastating, any loss of life is sad, "explosions" and the removal of one more "safe" aspect of our lives, but within the amazingly resilient running fraternity is so sad. But, they messed with the wrong group, don't they know what marathon runners have struggled through and sacrificed to get to that point? We fN and will do anything. We will overcome all obstacles. Our love and positivity will rise up over this bs.

I can't help but think, what if it was us last weekend. It would have been round the time a lot if us finished.

That's what I was thinking yesterday - I would have been coming up to the last mile-ish, lots of spectators along the way. The pictures on the news were just unreal-looked to be ground level blast so kids and lower limbs will have been most badly affected.

I will run London on Sunday. What could I do to show I'm running for those people who couldn't or didn't cross the finish line?

Mr KS has Grandstand tickets for Sunday. I'm inclined to tell him to stay away, I want to keep him safe. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

After the initial shock and sympathy for the victims, I'm absoltely livid! What sort of scumbag would pick such a soft target?

It's an attack against all of us that strive for success over 26.2

We'll show defiance and continue to support the big city marathons.

SB

• Suze - how about getting something like this done?

http://skreened.com/render-product/z/g/m/zgmavktseiggtnmuwfui/i-heart-boston.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.white.w760h760.jpg

• That's a good idea Weedy - I do have a charity vest for Merlin I feel duty bound to wear, but I could pin a sign to the back quite easily. 

Or maybe an armband?

• Well done KS, a sign on the back would be more visible.  Go girl image

• Morning, the morning after the night before. Well i got out today and did my first apres paris run, reasonably tough. Some hills and plenty of "Good Morning" vibes with other joggers.

I don't know how you "doublers" are psyching yourselves up for London. I need some time to prepare myself for the next one!

Its important we all get out and run/train at the moment and whoever is about go out and and be part of the VLM this weekend, or other events in the uk/world. The runners need our support, the cfharities need help, and its important to have a show of unity in these difficult times. I'm looking forward to breaking bread on Saturday early evening with fellow threaders (i mean new found friends) - and will try to entice the likes of JMD and PM along with me. Peace xx

p.s re@ todays run, i managed to get in on Garmin connect if anyone want to have a nose at my data - i'm new to this game. I can't say it was an easy run. RS, you mentioned to let you know once i had put something up. My username is TheJimbob

• My Saturday running group is meeting at Trocadero this week, and we will be wearing this.  Feel free to use.

/members/images/297951/Gallery/529326_10152706604345411_1897086053_n_0.jpg

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I think you might be right about London. Although I guess there will be a more visible security presence.

Yeah, I'd think so.  Must be such a simple event to target and impossible to make completely secure BUT maybe the target was the date rather than the event (which might be why the US politicians are offering carefully worded statements).

I think all you can do is make people feel more secure.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's particularly special about the date? The closest I could get with Google was that it was the day China sent President Nixon 2 giant pandas as a gift...

• Thanks TartanPimpernel x

• Hang on....further googling brings up anniversary of Lincoln's assassination. I'm guessing that's what you mean.

Incidentally, this time last year, we were all running in Paris...

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Governments don't care, human life is cheap*. Terrorists fail to understand this, attacking a bridge would have more impact than harming innocent victims.

*10 years ago 60 000 people died from lung cancer, 8 000 died on the roads in France.  The cost of car accidents become too great so the government acted. There are still 60 000 lung cancer victims but less than 4 000 victims on the roads. The actions weren't to save lives but money !

What can we do ? Everything you were doing ! No-one here believes life is cheap, we are healthier than we have ever been.  There is a lot of love and caring in this thread.  Many of you run for causes, Sam Harper was running for a charity.

In the short time I've been running and my experience in Paris is that the marathon is more than just a race, it's the human race ! Paris was 115 nationalities running together, 250000 cheering spectators. It was great celebration.

• Marathon Maus - It was Patriots day

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    DLR - I think you might be right about London. Although I guess there will be a more visible security presence.

Yeah, I'd think so.  Must be such a simple event to target and impossible to make completely secure BUT maybe the target was the date rather than the event (which might be why the US politicians are offering carefully worded statements).

I think all you can do is make people feel more secure.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's particularly special about the date? The closest I could get with Google was that it was the day China sent President Nixon 2 giant pandas as a gift...

It was a public holiday 'Patriots Day' in Boston.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

KS - it seems a lot of runners are planning to wear a balck armband on Sunday - could be a pretty easy thing to sort out and a nice thing to do...

On a personal note I finally heard at 6.30 am that the girl I know who was running in Boston is ok - I felt like I'd been holding my breath all night even though I don't know her that well!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Shocked and horrified by Boston. Why such a soft target? Maximum impact and publicity at minimal risk.

I can't get my head around how someone can consider this type of attack to be 'acceptable' within whatever principles they hold, be it religious , political or anarchistic.

Jimbob - your run is there but you will need to amend your level of privacy to share it with the group.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/RunJunkees

This group is organising a run to support Boston/ Wherever you are - whatever the distance - just run.

There's also a bib available and i'll be pinning it to the back of my shirt on Sunday for Antwerp.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I heard on the radio they are asking people to wear green ribbons on sunday in support of the Boston Marathon.

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I feel we may have a theme for next year's Paris Marathon. Sadly.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    There's also a bib available and i'll be pinning it to the back of my shirt on Sunday for Antwerp.

I think I'll do that for London on Sunday too.

• Orbs, let me know if i did it right now?

• TP - That's a nice one. I'll nick it and get one done up.

• @YM - good to hear your friend is okay. 

Well done all those going for London and with your banners/bibs for Boston.  I've printed mine off (Thanks TP) and will pin it on for my jog out tomorrow and will keep it for my next "proper" race on 1st may.

Still in shock......

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Jimbob - that worked image
  • Orbutt wrote (see)

I can't get my head around how someone can consider this type of attack to be 'acceptable' within whatever principles they hold, be it religious , political or anarchistic.

+1

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After spending the rest of the week in Paris this is the first chance I've had to get back on here. Following such a great experience running my first marathon coming back to the sad news of Brighton and now Boston is really hard to take. Can't beleive anyone would do this and I felt so angry last night.

Good luck to all who are running London on Sunday, I feel emotional just thinking about it.

• It feels more real to us and those who were there with us last week because we still have that feeling of running toward the finish line or waiting for someone by the finish line fresh in the memory and can feel exactly what these people are going through.

Hopefully it won't deter too many people from running large marathons. Like someone has touched on already, most marathon runners I've met tend to be pretty strong minded and this event will just make them desperate to run again. I'm thinking of going into London on sunday now to cheer people on instead of watching on the telly.

• On a cheerier note, table booked for Saturday 6pm - Jimbob +1, RS, Eggy and me. 6pm, Spaghetti House St Martin's Lane. Anyone else want to join us, let me know.
  • Even after yesterday's dreadful news, the risk of dying watching TV whilst a marathon is being run, is still much greater than the risk of running in the marathon.  I can't begin to understand what political goals people think they are achieving with such acts. For me, it brings out the attitude that I will not have someone remove what I love and cherish, that I will be overtaken by fear that they want to inject into my life and my society. I will run and spectate at marathons and i won't be scared.

On a different note, this was a cracking diversion girls. Very impressive. Made me grin. Carry on.... as it were!

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    I kind of get the feeling that this thread is now entering uncharted territory.

As it were.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

It was the mention of Girl Guides, wasn't it?image