Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    As others have said, MM, fingers crossed.

Oh yes YM - he's definitely heading this way.

Off to the Expo today - must restrain spending. I do not need any more running gear....

And there will be jelly babies and Jaffa cakes at the mile 17 RW support crew - I'll keep a few under the counter for my 'special customers'.
  • Options

MM, sorry to hear that, thinking of you and your family x

Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Audrey/KS/OO/Eggy - I'm not thinking of gels or similar but any requests for non-essential 'treats' for the support crew to have for you?

I'm not thinking anything vital in case we miss each other but anything that might give a lift in the unlikely event you need one - Haribo, Jelly babies, fruit, gin...

My only request from you lovelies is big cheers! I'll be in the Merlin vest which is white and turquoise, with SUZE on it. Where are you planning to be and will the Yorkshire flag be in attendance?

Last five miles done last night, felt good. Quite windy though, hope the gusts die down by Sunday. I did the Norwich half in November in 40mph gusts and it was hideous.

RR I'm doing that tomorrow - will be wheeling suitcase so hopefully that will be a deterrent!

• Options

Thanks everyone.

I've just spoken to her on the phone. Phew.

There's some residual bleeding in the brain lining causing spikes in blood pressure, dizziness and nausea, but she's fine, all the physio and OT tests are normal and she's suffered no long term damage.

She'll be in hospital over the weekend at least, so they can keep an eye on any more symptoms. It'll be a few months before she's completely free of headaches.

• Options

Mausy, glad to hear you have spoken to your Mum and that it is good news x

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone running this weekend, especially the VLM.

I took a diclophenac 3 hours before the Paris Marathon. I took one with me just in case I had any knee pain, but I did not use it.

I only ever take something if I have a niggle or two. I do not take it just in case something may happen.

With regards to the 6m pole. Does he speak English? Sorry cheap joke. You could cut it in half.

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

Looks like the got someone in Boston - but Police Officer shot dead in process.

If it is the bomber then at least he is alive to spend the rest of his days contemplating his actions behind a big re-inforced metal door, when the Courts give out a 350 year sentence, as they like to do in America.

• Options

What about Rolf Harris?

Puts 'Two Little Boys' in a different light....

...and as for 'tie me kangaroo down'...

• Options

I love this forum, I love you guys. You make me laugh so much. Even when we've got troubles and woes, this is a great place to be. image

Weedy - that'll make a fabulous flag. Can you get a hi-res image of the man? I think it should say "Swiss Tony says". You have a wonderful mind big fella' and i like how it works.

Hmmm - it seems I have rival offers from pairs of lovely ladies wanting my company.  How to decide?  I may need to toss.

You're on fire right now Rob. Aided and abetted by the fine fillies ot the thread of course.

yer_maj wrote (see)

TD that sounds like a great initiative. And Mr Maj's Dublin job dates have been moved so there is an outside chance I might be able to make a day or two of ITLR...watch this space.  Until his datyes get changed again image

Our very own SuzyMartines has signed up to join ITLR, joining us near Nuremberg and staying 'til Brussels. YAY! Yer_Maj, Leeds Rob, others(?), we've got room for people wanting to do a quickie with the group.  I'm also interested if people would like to help us with fund-raising towards this cause, supporting us even if you can't physically participate. Just PM me or have a look here

James B 73 wrote (see)

I take a tablet and smear hot stuff over anything that hurts.

I recommend that you limit the chocolate sauce to 20 seconds in the microwave on full power. Anything more than that is just S&M.

Taking painkillers before running. I'm a bit shocked. Really. Why? It hadn't really occurred to me before.  I mean of course, mask the pain a bit, but it's supposed to hurt isn't it? I'd rather be able to feel something happening. I know a lot of the younger guys in elite cycling won't take any painkillers when training or racing, because they believe it is on the same continuum towards taking PEDs (sorry, Performance Enhancing Drugs).

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

And there will be jelly babies and Jaffa cakes at the mile 17 RW support crew - I'll keep a few under the counter for my 'special customers'.

You're like the Hilary Briss of Runners World.

@KeyserSuze wrote (see)

MM, sorry to hear that, thinking of you and your family x

My only request from you lovelies is big cheers! I'll be in the Merlin vest which is white and turquoise, with SUZE on it. Where are you planning to be and will the Yorkshire flag be in attendance?

I'll bring it down image

James - are you supporting at the Manc Marathon next week?

Maus - Fantastic news!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

James B 73 wrote (see)

I recommend that you limit the chocolate sauce to 20 seconds in the microwave on full power. Anything more than that is just S&M.

(Wipes breakfast off monitor) image

Mausy - great news. Aren't phones great? 

• Options

I love this forum, I love you guys. You make me laugh so much. Even when we've got troubles and woes, this is a great place to be. image

Weedy - that'll make a fabulous flag. Can you get a hi-res image of the man? I think it should say "Swiss Tony says". You have a wonderful mind big fella' and i like how it works.

Hmmm - it seems I have rival offers from pairs of lovely ladies wanting my company.  How to decide?  I may need to toss.

You're on fire right now Rob. Aided and abetted by the fine fillies ot the thread of course.

yer_maj wrote (see)

TD that sounds like a great initiative. And Mr Maj's Dublin job dates have been moved so there is an outside chance I might be able to make a day or two of ITLR...watch this space.  Until his datyes get changed again image

Our very own SuzyMartines has signed up to join ITLR, joining us near Nuremberg and staying 'til Brussels. YAY! Yer_Maj, Leeds Rob, others(?), we've got room for people wanting to do a quickie with the group.  I'm also interested if people would like to help us with fund-raising towards this cause, supporting us even if you can't physically participate. Just PM me or have a look here

James B 73 wrote (see)

Taking painkillers before running. I'm a bit shocked. Really. Why? It hadn't really occurred to me before.  I mean of course, mask the pain a bit, but it's supposed to hurt isn't it? I'd rather be able to feel something happening. I know a lot of the younger guys in elite cycling won't take any painkillers when training or racing, because they believe it is on the same continuum towards taking PEDs (sorry, Performance Enhancing Drugs).

I'm glad someone picked up on the tossing comment.  It's good to know someone is down in the gutter with me.  Was beginning to think it was just me and Oscar Wilde.

With me and drugging up before a run/race... I did it if there was something that niggled before a very long run or marathon and knew that I was almost certainly taking a placebo but placebos can be powerful things.  Almost he equivalent of taking a lucky something with you or following a superstition.  Then in the second and third marathon I took ibuprofen with me so I could have some at the finish.

Last year I just took them with me rather than take any but then gave them to a guy that was suffering as he hobbled through the chutes.

• Options
    James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    I didn't know the Manchester marathon was on. Whose running? I may take the kids up for a day out.

Put me Dow for the Manchester 10k on 14th July and abersoch 10k on 1 June.
  • Options
    James B 73 wrote (see)
    I didn't know the Manchester marathon was on. Whose running? I may take the kids up for a day out.

Put me Dow for the Manchester 10k on 14th July and abersoch 10k on 1 June.

I think Malc is running (possibly?) and Jo (Red Panda) formerly of this Parish.

I might head over just because I loved seeing everyone achieve so much in Paris and want another fix of it!

• Options

It's like a Carry On film in here..

No one's down on the thread list as running Manchester.

Maus - good to hear.

Yay too image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Where to start, where to start?

With the most important thing of course - Maus, I'm so glad you've spoken to yoyr Mum...that was important for you to actually hear for yourself what she sounds like and hopefully it helped.  Has she told you off yet?

DLR - your flag isn't going anywhere mnear my extendable pole, dearie.  Which has just arrived and is currently being unfurled by Mr Maj who has Envy.

RR - it never has, and never will be about Need, honey.  It's all about the WANT.  I need a second drawer for my running gear now and all of it is essential.  Oh yes.

Safe travels, Audrey and Eggy - I am getting ridiculously excited about this weekend's little jaunt image

Weedy - surely even Swiss Tony can't liken running a mara to making love to a beautiful woman?  And on that note, the sooner we all start training again the better, we're much more pliable when we're permanently exhausted....

• Options

Hope you don't leave any smears on your computer screen Orbutt. Dried Weetabix can be a pain to get off anything.

So if I've understood the breaking news properly, Boston Police have shot both the suspects for the marathon bombing in two seperate incidents, some hours apart and they are both now dead.

I hope that there's a lot to learn from this, about motives etc. Nothing worse than over the top, indiscriminate application of security restrictions because a few people are nervous of crowds. Civil liberties have been massively suppressed thanks to the lasting impact of terrorism and I realy don't like it.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

And another thing - I just scrolled down the page in Events and read the Amsterdam thread as having been started by somebody sporting the moniker SweatyCock.  I need help...

• Options

Shrewsbury Marathon - I'm in

• Options

Half marathon, I meant half marathon!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Shrewsbury Marathon - I'm in

My poor mother....

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see

I'm glad someone picked up on the tossing comment.  It's good to know someone is down in the gutter with me.  Was beginning to think it was just me and Oscar Wilde.

I picked up on it. I just didn't want to, er, pick it up. image

• Options

Registered for Shrewsbury! Yay!image

I assume the easiest way to get there is to fly into Birmingham and catch the train?

• Options

KS: We'll be "rooting our fannies off" for you.

Now, in Australia, this would be EXTREMELY rude.

But in the US...not so much. My Aunt and Uncle went on an exchange to Washington State and were appalled when they took the bus to their first football match  accompanied by spectators carrying signs proclaiming this.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Yes Birmingham is the easiest.  Lets get your people and my people into talks though, because Febo is coming over to run too and she now lives 5 minutes away from Birmingham International, or there is a possibility that I could drive up via Birmingham and pick you up if we can coordinate times...

• Options

And registered for Isle of Man half image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

KS: We'll be "rooting our fannies off" for you.

And lo, it did get worse...

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see

I picked up on it. I just didn't want to, er, pick it up. image

Not without gloves.

If anyone is travelling from manchester/Liverpool ish I can pick them up en route to Shrewsbury.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Weedy - surely even Swiss Tony can't liken running a mara to making love to a beautiful woman? 

Again, I'll defer to DLR. My smut-ometer only goes to three. His goes all the way to 11.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

We're going to need a Shrewsbury Flag.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

Weedy - surely even Swiss Tony can't liken running a mara to making love to a beautiful woman? 

Again, I'll defer to DLR. My smut-ometer only goes to three. His goes all the way to 11.

Don't worry - give it time...