Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

PF - Sounds like typical taper madness to me. As for the Anne Hathaway cut - did you mean a la Les Miserables, because that could be a bit extremeimage

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    This is a public service announcement. If I ever even mention running two marathons in two weeks again could someone please kick me in the nuts.
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm all over it, Eggy image

How you feeling this morning?  Not tip top I take it?

• Just noticed the end got chopped off...

Apr 13: Paris Marathon
    Definite: ATM, DLR, DV, Emmy, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, Orbutt, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, Iain M, James B, Jimbob, NCane, Nic E, PF, Scott W, Yer Maj.

• Eggy, I wish you wouldn't mention nuts. After the merciless abuse I have had to endure after my wetsuit episode,  I am getting a complex.

Top effort, keep your irn bru intake up.

Weedy - 'myabe' for Paris. I m going to try and get into Boston, but I don't I'll be in Paris.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    I actually feel not to bad this morning. My thighs ache and stairs are definitely evil, but now I've had a few coffees I feel relatively human. I've said never again about a few things, but I plan to keep to this one. Run one and support one, hell yes. Run two, oh hell no. Those wheels falling off miles are firmly planted in mind.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Only managed to get online properly today.

Well done to all the VLM runners. Sounds like it was quite a warm one. Then again, isn't it always? Haven't managed to see any of the coverage but I heard that the BBC were a bit rubbish this year and focused mainly on the sites not the runners.

Emmy - can't believe you managed to overcome near vomiting to pick up pace and finish without taking on more fuel. Once I reach the vomit stage it's game over for me. Fantastic performance.

I had an amazing day at the Great Welsh Marathon. Managed 3:32:42 a PB by 26 mins! Totally over the moon. Still can't quite believe it.

I have run all my last 4 marathons in a shade under 4 hours. I've been stuck there for so long I was beginning to think that it just wasn't possible for me.

The turning point for me has been finding these forums. The support and advice I've had has completely transformed me as a runner. I may be in a heightened emotional state at the moment but I'd go as far as saying it's changed me as a person too. It's certainly restored my faith in the human race - so much mutual support from people who, for the most part, haven't even met. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice it has been fabulous!

• That's a great testimony Malcs. We're all good for each other and it's the best way to be human.

4 years ahead of you on this one Eggy image although you weren't brush-daft like me and try to run 'em both fast.

Eggyh73 wrote (see)
    I've said never again about a few things, but I plan to keep to this one. Run one and support one, hell yes. Run two, oh hell no. Those wheels falling off miles are firmly planted in mind.

• Malcs - Superb run yesterday mate - and you're right about the forums. And the support along the route, it really helps.

SimonMacD a.k.a TheWetsuitMan - go for it in Boston, you deserve a place, and RR. to squeeze into the GFA bracket was a massive effort on both your parts and you two should be rewarded with places at the Holy Grail of marathon running.

• Eggy - we'll get DLR and TJB to stretch out your hamstrings for you image .

List fairy, can you put me down as a possible for Paris. I'll definitely be there, but whether running or supporting depends on what else I'm up to next spring.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'll be in Paris too and am in for Shrewsbury image
  • Malcs wrote (see)

Well done to all the VLM runners. Sounds like it was quite a warm one. Then again, isn't it always? Haven't managed to see any of the coverage but I heard that the BBC were a bit rubbish this year and focused mainly on the sites not the runners.

Emmy - can't believe you managed to overcome near vomiting to pick up pace and finish without taking on more fuel. Once I reach the vomit stage it's game over for me. Fantastic performance.

I had an amazing day at the Great Welsh Marathon. Managed 3:32:42 a PB by 26 mins! Totally over the moon. Still can't quite believe it.

I have run all my last 4 marathons in a shade under 4 hours. I've been stuck there for so long I was beginning to think that it just wasn't possible for me.

The turning point for me has been finding these forums. The support and advice I've had has completely transformed me as a runner. I may be in a heightened emotional state at the moment but I'd go as far as saying it's changed me as a person too. It's certainly restored my faith in the human race - so much mutual support from people who, for the most part, haven't even met. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice it has been fabulous!

Chuffing hell Malcs!  I was blubbing yesterday and any more of this and I'll be off again today!!  Great performance.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Well done Malcs - brilliant run

Eggy - was a kick in the nuts the real source of your groin injury?
  • yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Malcs that's fantastic - well done that man image

DLR does indeed win the "first one to start blubbing like a girl" prize yesterday.  Closely followed by Jimbob.  To my knowledge, none of the girls had even a vague moistness in their eyes.....

• Me and Jim just hapeened to be near a sandstorm.  You girls had your back to it.  That's all.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

The sandstorm that came out of Radar Sals' rum bottle?  Which, incidentally, we cracked open at 9.45 am... image

• Eggy, we'll kick each other in the nuts! Having said that I do fancy Boston next year and in laws that couldn't get to London this year to watch want to see me there next year...!! I was going to take a winter off mara' training as well......how soon you forget the things your legs tell you...
  • DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I think every runner wants to be in Boston next year. I might go watch even if my son does not run it. There's a very good chance they will temporarily n crease the number of places from 25 000 to around 35 000. They've done it before.
  • Malcs - brilliant run there.

Kaz - you're awesome image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks all, very much appreciated! I'm still beaming. 

There was an impeccably observed minutes silence for Boston at my race on Sunday and all runners crossed the line with hand on heart. Superb show of solidarity from everyone involved.

DLR - Nothing wrong with a man showing his emotional side, sand induced or otherwise image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Pri-Fi - short hair is gorgeous and lovely, although you did look quite stunning in your last set of pics on FB. A trip to MSM sounds lovely, it's just such a long drive from here. 6-7 hours I reckon. As I know this morning having done something similar, it makes for a very long weekend to do that in two directions.

Dannirr wrote (see)

Well done all runners - you really are an inspiration to me.

I am insanely jealous of you all getting together.   You know, we do have marathons over here in the US - you could all come over.....   We have a huge house - we'll put all of you up.  Pleeeeeeez.

I completely empathise with you Danni. It feel shorrible to be left out of the party and i guess it is doubly woprse for you given your being bed-ridden in Paris. Would love to come and see you one day, with a big posse. Would similarly love to entertain people here in La Belgique, once I can be certain that my daughters are safe from various groin rubbers and willy-twitching

I second TD's suggestion for a Belgian meet up image

Malcs wrote (see)

Well done on a cracking run Malcs!

• Malcs wrote (see)

Thanks all, very much appreciated! I'm still beaming. 

There was an impeccably observed minutes silence for Boston at my race on Sunday and all runners crossed the line with hand on heart. Superb show of solidarity from everyone involved.

DLR - Nothing wrong with a man showing his emotional side, sand induced or otherwise image

You're not wrong Malcs.  Two bits really got me:  once where the female handisports athletes came past and there was loads of noise and you could see the sudden determination in their faces in response to it; second where a guy stopped unable to move in the road at 23.2 miles.  Another runner stopped and helped  and when he managed to stagger on the supporters went wild.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm really proud to have been part of that support yesterday.  On my way to Paddington and all the way home on the train, which was packed with runners, I made sure I said well done to everybody I saw in a finishers t shirt.  Without fail they all said the crowd support was what got them through - I'm going to try and never take that for granted in any race again.

• DLR, when we tended to that guys legs, Maus also got in on the action, you may or may not remember that I had an Alice perched on my shoulders. We must have looked like a right sorry sight
  • James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

Just noticed the end got chopped off...

Apr 13: Paris Marathon
    Definite: ATM, DLR, DV, Emmy, Maus, Mrs DV, Mrs O, Orbutt, Steve Duffy, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Maybe: Carl D, Danni, Engineer, Iain M, James B, Jimbob, NCane, Nic E, PF, Scott W, Yer Maj.

Now that the date is confirmed for 13th April and it is the school holidays I am a definite. The wife and bin lids will be in attendance as well.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I bet the man you were helping won't ever forget it though.  He probably thought he was delirious "Yeah so this bloke with a wee blonde girl on his shoulders was leaning over me while this other lad had his hand in my groin, assisted by some pretty blonde.  In the meantime all I could hear in the background was a Kiwi accent bawling "PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER AND KEEP BLOODY GOING".  Man I was glad to wake up from that one...there wasn't anything wrongf with my legs, I just needed a lie down"

• yer_maj wrote (see)

I bet the man you were helping won't ever forget it though.  He probably thought he was delirious "Yeah so this bloke with a wee blonde girl on his shoulders was leaning over me while this other lad had his hand in my groin, assisted by some pretty blonde.  In the meantime all I could hear in the background was a Kiwi accent bawling "PUT ONE FOOT IN FRONT OF THE OTHER AND KEEP BLOODY GOING".  Man I was glad to wake up from that one...there wasn't anything wrongf with my legs, I just needed a lie down"

image  And "You WILL finish!"  Besides which my hand was nowhere near his groin....unless he was blessed.

• The Jimbob wrote (see)
    DLR, when we tended to that guys legs, Maus also got in on the action, you may or may not remember that I had an Alice perched on my shoulders. We must have looked like a right sorry sight

Joking aside - it's all part of the occassion and it was good to be there for someone whether we really helped or not.  I think if you've been through it you're more likely to get stuck in when someone's in trouble.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Quite.  And Radar Sal must have terrified at least 200 runners into starting to run again....

• I find myself with the feeling that I DO want to run a marathon again but think I'm going to keep it a secret in case I unexpectedly find Leeds Rob's hands in my shorts trying to resolve a muscle issue or determining my state of 'blessedness'. That's all, apart from, where's Dr. Iain gone to? I know he lives on Twitter but is strangely absent here.