Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Hmmm...not a good start. First run of my plan and I had to bale out with a sore Achilles. No idea why - not something that usually bothers me. Maybe because I've had a few hilly runs in the past few days? Ibuprofen gel and peas have been deployed image .

We should stage a thread 24 hour run one day. TP - you're up first, 1 am in your neck of the woods is midnight here...

• In answer 4.15am!!!! image 

Batty you sayimage

• Orbutt- i had the same problem with my HRM, very erratic readings, either really high or low and it always started well into the runimage

And unless i want to smell all day, I have to claim the shower by 5.45 or wait until kidz finish...........i'd wait a while!!

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

In answer 4.15am!!!! image 

Batty you sayimage

you've taught me well  .... my master

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

She's a batty loon, although its so close to the North Pole up there it probably gets light at 2am.

Aye but she's *our* batty loon image

It's amazing the amount of difference 400 miles makes - when I lived in Glasgow I was walking alomg Argyle Street one night in June at around midnight.  It wasn't properly dark...and it wasn't raining.  Which was really quite the shock....

RR - watch that Achilles, madam....

• TartanPimpernel wrote (see)

I can beat TD (never thought I'd say that) by an hour, Paris-Mantes started at 01h00 ... but as I hadn't gone to bed I didn't have to get up ...

What if I asked nicely TP? image

Orbutt - the first generation of Garmin soft/ premium heart straps were just useless. I threw mine away. I use an old, hard plastic one I got with my Forerunner 305. Never a problem with wrong heart numbers unless it is bone dry or am I utterly drowning in sweat (creates a shorted connection).

I hear that the newer, 2nd generation of the soft strap fixes the issues....

• Emmy H wrote (see)
    The Jimbob wrote (see)

Emmy -  you ran 3 marathons in 3 days ffs only a couple of weeks back - i think you are aloowed to have a breather!

Nah, I feel lazy at the momentimage

Emmy - you need to channel your inner Emmy. Like wot Jimbob does.

PC - Haha. Nearly had my jaw on the floor with the MdS. Film quiz alive and kicking this week - just maybe a little trickier to find than normal.

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

My earliest ever run started at 2am in Keswick, The English 3000s. I cried that day.

TD - blimey...

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Two waterfalls on my run yesterday

/members/images/698298/Gallery/IMG_3032.jpg

/members/images/698298/Gallery/IMG_3038.jpg

• YAY! POSTING!!!

Running Rodent wrote (see)

We should stage a thread 24 hour run one day. TP - you're up first, 1 am in your neck of the woods is midnight here...

I'll start it! I'll start it! By the time I finish it at a normal time it'll almost be KOC over there!

Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Orbutt - the first generation of Garmin soft/ premium heart straps were just useless. I threw mine away. I use an old, hard plastic one I got with my Forerunner 305. Never a problem with wrong heart numbers unless it is bone dry or am I utterly drowning in sweat (creates a shorted connection).

I hear that the newer, 2nd generation of the soft strap fixes the issues.... 

Can confirm - I have a 610 with a 2nd gen soft strap and have never had a problem. I think you can get them for about $US50 online?

Please forum, I need help on two matters:

1. This plantar fascia busines is still annoying me - my foot feels "full" under the ball of my foot and between my toes and then when I run it feel like it loosens right off under the arch of my foot - like you've got a loose sock under your foot moving around, but I know it's actually on the inside - ewww. Is it normal for it to feel wierd for this long? I'm back to icing it with a frozen bottle twice a day and picking up stuff with my toes to get the muscles working, but it's anoyyyyying! And I want to run!!!!

2. In direct opposition with the above, I AM doing the Run Melb half on 21 July, and wanted a little help with a program? I had a look at the my.asics site that I used for Paris, but just not convinced. I did Cadbury HM in Jan in 1:50, so I'd like to push for 1:45 but the time's ticking away and the running just hasn't been happening!!!

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Last one from yesterday's run:

/members/images/698298/Gallery/DSC_0068.jpg

• Jus T - PF issues do not go away in a hurry I'm afraid. They may be life long; stretching, physio, rest (sometimes) are all part of the ongoing plan. You've seen a physio - I found them of little use, and ultrasound is expensive; the best assessment I got was from a podiatrist. And the best advice was from the team on this forum!

I wasn't too fussed with MyAsics plans - but their app is cool. I used to use - the idea! - RW plans for my Half training, which at its best got me a 1hr45 in the GNR.

• JusT - I saw a podiatrist fir mine,she strapped up my foot and I could run!! Gave exercises to do too and within a couple of weeks a vast improvemen.

Danniir- Stunning pics. Looks amazing.

• Super pics Dannirr... where were they taken!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Jus T, jus' a thought...Trigger points? Could the problem be further up? I ask because my calves turned out to be the source of trouble diagnosed as pf.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Dannir - Great photos, love the matching top

Weedy - At least they can still give blood.

• Thanks guys, I'm giving it til the end of the week and then i think i'll hunt out a podiatrist. Just seen sports massage lady so far, who said calves were tight and def aren't helping the issue, but there's def some loose-ness going on under my foot too (go on DLR). I hate how physios lock you into coming back again and again (until you leave the country on holidays image)

You guys have some stunning runs - was this one local Danniir?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jus T - I hope the PF clears up quickly for you. Must be a nightmare having to deal with that.

Dannirr - Looks like a stunning place to run.

I can safely say that I never get up at KOC, particularly to go running. I'm thinking of doing the Killearn 10km next month, now that I've blown away the cobwebs at Dunlop. It's sort of a trail route, but looks more forest path than proper trail.

• 2 weeks..... Holy moly....so much study to do in such a short timeimage Think I''ll be staying up all night sooooon! 

Got intervals later....the pure thought makes me feelimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

TD & JusT - I have the Garmin 610 and the 2nd Gen soft strap and I still have issues. After reading a few more articles on DC Rainmaker I've got a couple more things to try - including a method to stop my strap chaffing my chest (ouch)

Dannirr - stunning. 

Mrs O has just been told she has PF and has been given a regime of stretches.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

This is the coolest thing....for those of us who can't do the 'time zones' thing in our heads. Daylight Map, here....   http://www.daylightmap.com/?lat=0.000000&lng=0.000000&z=2&t=s&c=1&m=a&hl=en  Now , I have a better idea whether Dan and Jus T will be up...image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Kaz I feel your pain....I have my final diploma exams on 4th June and it's cranking right up here at the moment.  And as soon as I have these last two out of the way I go strauight into studying for my Chartered exams image

I must have missed a vital post about 100 pages back....what is it you're studying for?

• RR - How's the heel today?

Jus T - sounds grim. Maybe now's not the best time to be pushing for time goals in races. Prob not what you wanted to hear tho.

Danni - great pics there. You're v lucky.

Love the 24-hour run idea, count me in.

PC - you're too good at this.

ATM - that's genius. It's Kaz O'Clock at Danni's and Jimbob O'Clock at Rick and Fanfan's image

Speaking of Rick and Fanfan, anyone heard from them lately?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz/yer_maj - Good luck with revision!

Dannir - So jealous of your running pictures! It's better than where I run!

Weedy - Channel my inner emmy? This morning it was butchering me!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@DV - this might be one for you: http://www.orbana.com They do 'natural' energy products. I've just heard about them but from looking at the ingredients list; it could be a good trial. Have you already tried it?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I was running in North Carolina. Beautiful area, very hilly.  

Anyone here a vegan?  I'm giving this serious thought. 

• Jus T - I can send you the running plan I made a while back for Yer_Maj and her half mara. If you tell me your VDOT value, I'll adjust the stated training paces. Can't do much more than that I'm afraid in terms of customising a plan - I am just so busy with planning for In The Long Run and everything else life is throwing up at present.

Hello everyone. Too busy with work and other stuff to run much this week. I do have a 20K race on Sunday, which would mark 3 weeks since my hamstring tendon went pop. That will be one week inside the 4-6 weeks period before I can do hard running, according to my family doctor. So I will be cruising round in tourist mode.

I can say for free that this will be really hard to do, when the inner athlete will be crying out to tear it up. Wish I could find a fancy dress outfit/ shop so I could just go the whole hog and run relaxed, not in 'this is a race' mode. Weird man I am.

How is Mrs.DV getting on with her epic bike ride? image

• YM- Business Diploma, Fitness Diploma and and a Coaching Diploma. Think I have taken on toooooo much!!!image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Why does it not surprise me that you're doing 3 at once?!

• Dannirr wrote (see)

I was running in North Carolina. Beautiful area, very hilly.  

Anyone here a vegan?  I'm giving this serious thought. 

Dannirr...  I was virtually vegan for 18 years....  I did my first two Iron Man tri on a vegan diet but DNF'd my first attempt at a Double Iron Man with lack of nutrition...  so.. I started eating meat again and three weeks later completed a Double Iron Man.

I say 'virtually' vegan, beause I did still eat chocolate, biscuits and cake.  However, I never had any meat, fish, eggs or dairy products.

It is a way of life and once you are into it, its not too hard.  Its a very healthy diet.  Since I started eating meat I have put on weight (mostly muscle bulk, but also some fat) and this has helped my other sports.   However, if I was to focus on marathons and shorter races then a vegan diet is definitely a viable option and worthy of consideration.

Why are you thinking about it..?