Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Danniir, that's awesome! I had a similar idea a few years ago, clearly someone stole it! Who was I telling about it in paris?? Mine was that you could load a course onto a usb stick and then plug it into any treadmill and it would run the course, like you said, practice for the main event!

• Options

What a superb bit of kit Dannirr...

• Options

Bright sunshine here this morning, pretty much the same as last night except cooler. An awesome 12 miles D&D, on rather knackered legs. Post delivery could  be rather slow today! image

I have treadmill envy.image

• Options

Kaz, well done, we've actually got some of your sunshine this morning.

Dannirr, I hate treadmills but despite the warning I read your post.  Sounds great, let us know how Paris goes!

Good luck to anyone racing today or studying for exams.

• Options

Wow Dannirr! That sounds super.

My weekend is going to involve a trip to the apres TT events - the fair and beer tent. I suspect some of DLR's doylems have temporarily migrated to the Douglas promenade. I went up to watch some of the practice session on Thursday night. It was testosterone-charged, loud, fast, terrifying and pretty damn cool!

I know a number of you are very good at recording your running data. I'm having trouble finding a system that works for me. I'm thinking that an excel spreadsheet might be more useful for me than my current handwritten approach.

Would any of you be willing to share the categories of information you record?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I never, ever thought I would utter the words "Treadmill Envy" in my life....

I'm racing this morning (parkrun) then studying for the rest of the day.  Double good luck to me, then...image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

good luck ym!   I'm with you on the treadmill envy.  What's the model etc Dan?  You should get Mrs D to throw some orange and banana peels on there to give you a proper Paris experienceimage

• Options
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

I know a number of you are very good at recording your running data. I'm having trouble finding a system that works for me. I'm thinking that an excel spreadsheet might be more useful for me than my current handwritten approach.

TD has the daddy of all spreadsheets!

yer_maj wrote (see)

+1  sounds relaly cool

• Options

I detest treadmills with a passion. But that sound interesting Dannirr. And with some major clutter surgery I am sure I could find a few square feet of space in my garage...

MM - very jealous. Never been to the TT, but it's on my list.

Well done on your early 12 miles Kaz. We only have about 5 hours darkness here at the moment. Must be even lighter up in Orkney. Great time of year for getting out and about.

Good luck to everyone racing today. 

• Options

Simon - Yip not really dark here at the moment.....full daylight from back o 3am! Can't sleep at all even with blackout blinds! But at least I get the runs done early and frees up time later for vodka.....I mean gardening and such things!!image

• Options

Talking of vodka, I'm off to Krakow tomorrow morning for my son's stag do. Excited but apprehensive... 

• Options
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)

I detest treadmills with a passion. But that sound interesting Dannirr. And with some major clutter surgery I am sure I could find a few square feet of space in my garage...

MM - very jealous. Never been to the TT, but it's on my list.

Well done on your early 12 miles Kaz. We only have about 5 hours darkness here at the moment. Must be even lighter up in Orkney. Great time of year for getting out and about.

Good luck to everyone racing today. 

Many of the locals complain vociferously, or just leave, so I was expecting to find it really annoying. But I don't. I guess, though, it's my first. The people are friendly, the traffic conditions don't affect me, the town is buzzing, people are happy, kids are having fun - it's obvious that this is a family event for lots of people and I think that's great. I did have a little giggle yesterday when I heard one mother chastising her son named Harley!

And the bikes are SERIOUSLY COOL!

I really didn't expect to be so captivated by it. I obviously understand nothing of what is going on, but from the pure view of seeing the obvious skill of the riders and what they are doing, it's an incredible sight. They must be so fit to be able to handle the rides and that hadn't struck me until I saw them flying past, 2 or 3 metres away (and behind the relative safety of a large brick wall!).

• Options
    Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
    Marathon Maus wrote (see)

TD has the daddy of all spreadsheets!

yer_maj wrote (see)

+1  sounds relaly cool

Thanks DLR - and thanks for your info too. I've definitely isolated the tempo/threshold runs and speed work as my key area to work on. You've clarified it a lot for me, so I'm feeling confident to work out what my paces will be for those runs.

TD is, I think, pretty snowed with ITLR stuff at the moment, so I'll happily muddle along and maybe chat to him once that stuff is out of the way.

• Options

I hate dreadmills too....  and after mine broke I didn't even bother to repair it and it ended up at the metals recycling place!   However an 'intelligent' dreadmill such as Dannirr described puts a whole new view on how they can be used....

I'm not going to look at getting one, but I can see how the technology can help prepare for a race...   there are cycling turbo trainers that do a similar thing and they work successfully to prepare riders..

Sounds like a good choice...  

Maus..  more feedback from the TT please...  it sounds amazing!

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

McPerks - we go to Krakow a lot to visit the rellies - I have posted a link to our favourite restaurant on fb for you but if you want any more info give me a shout...it's a fabulous city so long as you avoid the main square which is always full of, eerm., stag parties.... image

I had a bizarre moment at Parkrun today:

Random bloke at Parkrun: I remember you from Paris

Me: Blank look

RBFP: You were in that Irish bar with a load of other people, I was talking to you for ages

Me: Oh shite....

• Options

Ahahahahahahaa! You must have made an impression YM!

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

good luck ym!   I'm with you on the treadmill envy.  What's the model etc Dan?  You should get Mrs D to throw some orange and banana peels on there to give you a proper Paris experienceimage

It's more likely she'll throw them at me!   She did suggest, however, I listen to proper French music to make it seem more authentic.

The treadmill is this one:

http://www.proform.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_-1_14201_16002_29509_200419

I bought a demo unit which was about half price.

• Options

Dannirr - I suggest you don't try Edith Piaf singing 'Milord' unless you fancy a speed session image.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the electronic world, Hugo Rifkind (Times columnist) is tweeting about the Bristol Stool Scale and really wishing he hadn't image.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

ooo I want one, too...image

I did try to interest local gym in playing those' Cycle through CountyMayo'-type DVDs on one of the video channels in the gym so that the treadmillers could pretend they were doing a LLSR....but no joy.You'll just have to upload the Paris course, Dan, and put the jiwok commentary on yout ipod.

kaz, it's bright , here, about 3.30 and the birds are deafening by 4.I'm knackered.But it's so much better than perma-darkness...

• Options

Very cool treadie Dannirr. image

MM - horribly complicated and over the top spreadsheets in the post.  The IOM TT is a fabulous event. I've only been once but I have terrific memories. I hear a Japanese rider died last week during practice. Very sad indeed.

YM - the only other Welsh fella' I remember at Corcorans was Phil In Fitter. Maybe I drank less than you? Actually, I remember us all walking back to our respective hotels and I'm certain I'd drunk way less than you.

OK, must get back to trying to work out ITLR navigation routes. It helps to occupy the mind.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

TD this wasn't Phil. This was no man I have ever seen before in my life. I am convinced of it....image

• Options

Dannirr...  if all dreadmills were like that, I'm sure we'd all love them rather more....

TD..  people die every year at the TT don't they..?   It's great that the event contiues, but in these days of almost obsessive 'health and safety', I'm sureprised they are able to stage it each year..

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Gin will help with my study of Derivatives and Hedging won't it? 

Send help. And more gin...image

• Options

Finished work early and spent all afternoon in garden studying......one more online tutorial to go.....then away on Wednesday. I don't know if this is good or bad......yet.image

Off to walk the dog in a wee while, I need to clear my head! 

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Noted....image

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Rr - poor man. Did he not realise the shite he was getting himself in for? image

Right, cycling done for the weekend...tomorrow running and hopefully it won't be a bust like last week. image

Ym - you didn't get a name? Was he not a forumite?

• Options
    Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Mm - hee hee hee, kid called harley.

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

'allo darlings - i've been in moving hell for the last week (in between 10K races and parkrun) - been packing up my clutter and rowing alot with Mrs C. I finally backed down and let her "win" this one. We hired a removal company - marraige already on the mend and the whole place is boxed up less than a day in readiness for Monday's move. to celebrate - i went out just now and boshed out a 10K at 7.31pace. I havent run since the Bupa 10K - was having a cutback week - planning a long one tomorrow. its horrible not running for 4 days.