Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• KeyserSuzeKeyserSuze ✭✭✭

Thanks guys! Might take photos of the bruises, think they'll turn into beautiful colours...

ATM, I love that about running. We've got a beautiful bit of countryside just over a mile from our front door - a mill where we've seen herons before, and last week we were lucky enough to see an otter in the water. Awesome. 

Know what you mean about the hidden bruises, woke up this morning with a bruised chin and sore shoulders!

Lovely sunny day, looking forward to a rest day with a BBQ at frriends' house later. 

• Sal - you had me confused for a minute....I thought my 'darling' sister had been posting- her name is Donna!

A couple of hours in Aberdeen noo, more coffee but at least they have wifi here now! Lots of me in kilts, must  be a game on somewhere that I have forgotten about, since BF doesn't travel to them anymore due to imposed restrictions due to my life!! image

• Croatia is where the kilted brigade are heading - just met BF's mate from Inverness! He is trying to lead me astray........

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

Make sure you send photos yer_maj...

Dannirr...  do you have the Comrades route on your new toy..?   

Not yet, but I will soon!  It's getting too tempting to use the treadmill and no go outdoors!

Orbutt wrote (see)

RR - I had a read of the lates Comrades posts and it looks like it was a hard one this year. There was also talk of changing direction next year, so that the anniversary run (2015) dinishes in Durban. Not sure if this is just interweb rumours though.

They change direction every year - so this year was an "up" run (Durban to Pietermaritzburg) so next year will be the "doen" run to Durban.  Regulars prefer the "up" run as it's easier on the legs. I'm happy it's a "down" run - finish in Durban and soak in the ocean!

YM - I want to see your long one

KeyserSuze - I've fallen a few times. The worst part is not the injury sustained, but the flailing about for the second or two before you hit the deck as you try save yourself from going down - which never works and is just embarassing image

RR - thanks, will head over there

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

KS - Nah, battered pizza and Irn Bru (Glasgow drinking water) are as much west coast staples as east coast.

I've had a fall out running. While training for Berlin a couple of years ago I managed to somehow flip the wire from a car hubcup up with one foot and at the same time slip my other foot through the wire leading to a comedy fall at one of Glasgows busiest roads during rush hour. I guess the motorists would have had a good laugh at my expense!

• KS - I fell flat on my face in the week before Paris in front of a queue of rush hour traffic. Didn't damage any of my running equipment thankfully, but my left elbow's still a bit stiff. Most undignified.

Kaz - don't let kilted men lead you astray to Croatia - you have exams to sit!

Just for the sake of balance, the one and only time I've had a deep fried pizza (due to a terrible misunderstanding) was in Perth.  But anything other than brown sauce on chips is just wrong.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

KS- I seem to fall over every few months- usually happens when I'm tired at the end of a long run. My foot lift is reduced and my reactions are slower. In my case might be to do with old age...image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orkney Don(na), are you with me now? or am I going to be sleeping with the fishes? image

running falls, ahh, so annoying but reasonably comedy.  My best one (never had a flat on my face but have had a few woopsies) was running through London, thought I had enough speed to cross before the lights changed, I didn't but stopped too late, half of my foot was off the curb so I fell forward on to my hands and knees right infront of the car about to go through the lights. Luckily the driver hadn't started moving yet.  I'm more cautious now. image

Now...'technical dismounts' from road bikes with clipped in feet, I have many and in various exotic locations.

Oh...did my first "speed" session for Berlin.  I don't think I went fast enough...anyone want to look at the stats from my garmin and give me pointers?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Ever tried the Poutine in Montreal?  Chips, brown gravy and cheese curds. Very yummy

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I fell over on a run once and was helped up by a little old lady at a bus stop. I was quite shaken - it's a long time since I was a kid falling over and I had completely forgotten that it hurts. I promised I would never just say "oopsy daisy up again" to my children.

I hope mine is not age related but having just turned a very uncomfortable age-corner, I cannot rule it out.

• I fell during Prague marathon a few years ago...   my feet got trapped in a wire ring that secures a wheel cover to a car wheel.  It must have come off a car and was in the road, I got tangled and both feet were trapped and down I went like being tackled in rugby.   I had sufficient awareness of the situation to twist myself on to my side as I landed, so no major damage done apart from a rip in my shirt...

Dannirr...  when the weather is rubbish, you will use that dreadmill a lot..  it sounds amazing.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Dannirr wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

RR - I had a read of the lates Comrades posts and it looks like it was a hard one this year. There was also talk of changing direction next year, so that the anniversary run (2015) dinishes in Durban. Not sure if this is just interweb rumours though.

They change direction every year - so this year was an "up" run (Durban to Pietermaritzburg) so next year will be the "doen" run to Durban.  Regulars prefer the "up" run as it's easier on the legs. I'm happy it's a "down" run - finish in Durban and soak in the ocean!

Dannir - what the rumour is, is rather than change to the 'down' next year, they will change it to the 'up' and have the 'down' in 2015 - so that the anniversary run will finish in Durban.

Only a rumour at the moment but might be worth keeping an eye on.

RS - I can't see your run on Garmin. Are you in the convocations?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I'm not a member of the Garmin group.  A bit too much information is shared on there for me, with the GPS locations, as I do a lot of runs from my home.  I can send through the big export spreadsheet though.

• Radar Sal wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

No hangover -  was very restrained image

I'm stunned, just completely stunned. PFS conference photos, ooohhhhhh, think we're a bit innocent for that.  Do you all compare scientific calculators?

RR - I'm sooo sorry, London Don.

MM - forgot to say, get yer self on some of those bikes!!  See how many tough bikers you can sweet talk.

An impromptu office excursion to the famed Bushy's Beer Tent is scheduled for 5pm. Just about anything could happen with this mob...image

I will say, though, that it's most unlikely I'll do any talking, sweet or otherwise, with the bikers. These lads are, um, how to put this delicately, not really my type.

10km done at lunch today in a little over an hour - it feels almost a bit like Summer out there.

• KS: Good to see you back! Sorry about your little mishap. I always blame uneven pavement.

Kaz: You poor thing - you really do have the worst luck sometimes.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm about to go out....in a running vest! Summer's here. It's meant to last til Friday so I'm gettting my sunburn in quick..image

Good luck in the beer tent, Maus.Everyone may become much more attractive after a bit...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Maus - I get what you mean, but kinda like guys with guitars, maybe they're a bit more acceptable when you see them play/ride really well.image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Maus - It's always good to test ride the men out first image Make sure that they can handle the equipment they're riding. You don't want a biker than keeps falling offimage

ATM - I'm sitting in my garden working and i'll not lie - it's a little toasty here for my fair skin!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Maus - if they can't play & ride at the same time, then it's game over I'm afraid image

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

KS - i went over like a sack of taters last winter in a poorly lit -road caught a loose paving stone and tumbled forward. The nasty thing about it as my fists were clenched at the time so my fingers hit the ground bent and nail side down. The bang on my knee was sore and bruised, but not bad really.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Oh, thanks Orbutt. I misinterpreted your post.  Up, down - all the same to me - surviving to the end is all I'm after.  But I guess I'll need to find out before I start specific training

PS. If you are interested in a fantastic restaurant in DC, let me know

• You girls are disgusting....   image

*pulls up sofa and pops open the pringles waiting for more disgusting comments to complain about*

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

13.7KM done in the heat today and then quoffed a cornetto to help cool me down image

• It's been busy here in my absence! Well done YM, good luck Kaz,welcome to the CM Wohlf, good luck Scotland in Croatia.

Falling over running? I fell over walking in Krakow on Sunday! And I have some unexplained bruises.... Running marathons is easier than trying to keep up with ten youngsters on a mammoth bender. But I did us 'oldies' proud.

I'm off to lie down in a dark room.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

You girls are disgusting....   image

No you'd just like to *think* we're disgusting.  We're actually sweet and demure.

Well done MacPerks - I'm proud of your staminaimage

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

We're ladies.  We bake muffins and shit.

• /members/images/345267/Gallery/Zolder_April_2002_hi-res.jpg

Is that playing enough Yer_Maj? That's me that is...

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

We're ladies.  We bake muffins and shit.

When are you coming over here to make the acquaintance of The Conway?

TD - is that so?  Hmmmm.  We need an assessment of riding skills, playing skills and an amalgamation of the results.  Somehow.  Then a graph, natch.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

well...as you've snaffled my guest for this weekend I have a little spare time on sat night...if I get this work done that I'm currently pulling a massive procrastination on.imageimage

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RS - I'm no expert but I'm always willing to look at data image Send it my way if you want. However, there are experts on here - what were your targets distances and times?

Dannirr - always interested in a good recommendation and I do like food image