Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ah, Die Hard. The Vest is yet to come...  +1, for Alan Rickman's baddy.

'just seen ' Behind the Candelabra'...image Michael Douglas is superb.Honestly. It was a great afternoon's entertainment.Bizarre, yes, but very amusing.

• Hi everyone. Well done Kaz for passing your exam, good job RR for blagging a "Triathlon wot I done" when you never actually did, and a cracking 18 miler TJB. I feel positively lazy. I hardly went out all weekend. Well, I bought a shirt. Wonder if my fitness has turned into melted chocolate or some other seasonal image like that!

Managed to get my car serviced today so rode my bike to from dealership to work and back. A cracking, ooh, nearly 10 miles perhaps. Think I might need a fitness coach to get me pumped up. Someone who is willing to work for love not money. .....Kaz, can you hear me?

Glad you survived your crash The Engineer. I thought my front brake was very soft today and only realised when I was taking the front wheel back off, that I hadn't done up the quick release on the calipers. Lucky I didn't have any sudden stopping to do. Eek!

• As this quite an active thread this may have come up before (and if it has please direct me to your previous answers), but...

I have been running to the same songs on my ipod for quite a while and would really like to find some new music.  So, I would be grateful if those of you who run with ipods would tell me your top songs to run to so I can find some inspiration. I like a wide variety of music.  Thanks.

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Just read the last few pages...everyone seems to be doing well, and I'm jealous of everyone's running/tri exploits!  

I've been in idiot and managed to get what feels for all the world like shin splints not too long after I'd started training.  Been cycling at the gym instead (I hate, hate gyms) because I don't want to do nothing, but I miss running already...hoping I can get back to it next midweek.

(No use on the music front, I run without!)

• Lawyer - I am a music free zone as well I'm afraid. The music boffins will be along shortly.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Die Hard is a classic. I'm pretty sure not liking Die Hard would be grounds for a divorce!

+1

SP13 wrote (see)

Die Hard must be the same category as Top Gun. And that is not good! Give me an Alien film any time.

So, so wrong!

• The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Aaron, Rocky4 soundtrack

• Aaron - I'm enjoying Jake Bugg at the moment. Or I mostly listen to podcasts and audio books on longer runs. But, having discussed this with both Emmy and TD last week, I don't recommend trying to learn a language while you run unless you're prepared to collide with a tree.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Running Rodent wrote (see)

Aaron - I'm enjoying Jake Bugg at the moment. Or I mostly listen to podcasts and audio books on longer runs. But, having discussed this with both Emmy and TD last week, I don't recommend trying to learn a language while you run unless you're prepared to collide with a tree.

Completely agreed. Although this morning on my run I gave a fine rendition of English swearing to a Belgian driver who tried to run me over and "didnt see me"... I'm wearing a bright orange ITLR t-shirt and he couldnt see me.... I guess running in the early morning has it's disadvantages!

It's il scorchio here. Just been out for a little plod before Friday night's marathon and I was sweating literal buckets.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Wohlf, my playlist is too cheesy for publication on a public forum but i'm a +1 for music and loved Jimbob's choice of ' Hearts on Fire'. I manipulate all of mine...lots of 'bodypump'-type of stuff to a constant temps( for me, 180bpm ) so that I can stick to that cadence.

*I expect you've fallen asleep by now but if you fancy doing that I do the alteration using Audacity + plugins. *

Lovely , early morning run for me. It's sunny!image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Lwa- I think you need to give us some parameters first.  What do you have on your playlist now? I tend towards hard base tracks but others go more rocky. :] I have: prodigy, david guetta, kasabian, the black keys, muse, beyonce, chemical brothers, groove armada, joe bonamassa, dolly parton, scissor sisters,   paloma faith, fat boy slim, alabama3 and many more. The funny thing is out of 70 odd songs there's 3 prodigy ones and my shuffle plays one almost every run.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I feel terrible - proper lurgy of doom...image  Explains why my run on Monday was so hard going though - I started feeling ill a few hours later.  Bah.

I don't listen to anything when I'm running except when I am in exam mode, when I listen to my audio revision.  Which is just wild...

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear you have the lurgy, yer_maj. At least you know what caused your bad Monday. image

I don't listen to anything but I often have songs or music running through my head. I can't seem to get along with keeping things in my ears when I am running. I did once have a Walkman though and really enjoyed listening to my Madness or Duran Duran tapes.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I am poding up for the run to work as have done it far too much. Once I get to going other ways then I will probably ditch shuffle (mine has " run, radar sal, run!" On the back image )

• +1 for Alabama Three

Also got Kosheen, Moby, Manic Street Preachers, The Killers, Garbage, Jurassic Five, Ladytron, New Order and bits of cheesy pop that match my cadence.

Think ipods play some artists more than others on shuffle. Mine does too and I've heard it mentioned by a few others.

Yer Maj - hope you get over it in time for Shrewsbury

Lwa - just to echo ATM's point re Heart on Fire from rocky 4.  This is the song for you if you need a rush of adrenalin. when i was training for Paris and this came on the player - i just took off like a jet plane taking off on a runway! I was making "whoa" noises from the rush of adrenalin. Lets remember that scene where east and west are training for their big fight, the tall angry russian in his hi-tech gym, steroid injections with his clipboard armed white coated scientist guys, computerised flashing and beeping punch pads, while bearded Sly is chopping logs and then crawls up a siberian mountain in 3 foot deep snow bellowing "Dragoooooooooo"

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

..... what a classic

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Cheers TJB. And looking at your garmin data you are getting stupidly quick! 

• thanks all!  when I started running about 2.5 years ago I had to have music when I ran.  That continued to be true until about a year ago when I noticed that it really didnt have much of a motivational effect on me anymore.  So, I ran for about a month without music and, voila it inspired me again.  Since then I run with music about half the time, but always on long run days when I need motivation the most.

Radar Sal -- I have a wide range of music on my ipod including:  Pink, Black Eyed Peas, the Cure, All American Rejects, Black Keys, Blondie, Scissor Sisters, AC/DC, Abba, Eminem, PitBull, Michael Jackson, Keane, Ting Tings, Florence and the Machine, James Brown and on and on

I have a lot of songs that I love to run to that I would never listen to any other time.

TJB -- the James Brown song "Living in America" from Rocky 4 is also good to run to.  Remember the scene where Drago fights Apollo Creed in the Las Vegas ballroom?  America at its finest.

• LA - I love the MOS running tracks albums, but i think my favourite running song would have to be spiderbait's buy me a pony - short but makes me want to pump it every time.

Kaz - congrats! You're amazing!!

Congrats to everyone else on their recent running achievements! You're such a motivation.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For some reason I had "Lime and the coconut" in my head on my run.... and it's still there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9OqUuA6a0

• It's crazy, but isn't this a great song to run along to (hoping Kid Creole will turn up below)?

Aaron - got a about 8 tracks from the R4 soundtrack on my marathon playlist - inc Livin in America, Hearts on fire, Eye of the tiger, Burning Heart, No easy Way Out - also - Training Montage is a cracker to run to! I've seen those Rocky films too many times! know 'em like the back of me hand!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

On a slightly geeky front regarding iPods playing some music more often tHan others, I think it may be down to the rating.

if you 'borrow' a track from someone, they may have rated it highly, so the iPod will play it more than an unrated one. Also, I think that if you skip a track, then the iPod can mark that fact and play it less. 

Of course, you may also rate your music and the shuffle will play a highly rated song more often in rotation than a lesser one.

Geek bit over.

Today, Mrs O and I are off to rent her a bike and I am going to run across the Golden Gate Bridge (all being well image )

• Which doesn't explain why I always get 'Shoot the Runner' 19.5 miles into a 20 mile run.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Ha ha ha, shoot the runner.

Orbutt - watch out for the car tow and crisis line comb signs.

• Kaz - how'd it go with your first client?

Wohlf - hope you're back out soon

Yer Maj - how's the lurgy?

Orbutt - rating thing would make sense. Golden Gate Bridge run sounds fantastic - more than make up for missing the half. Hope you got a decent view, gather it's foggy there quite a lot.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I may not make it through the night....image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

O.....oooooo.I would so like to see Angel Island and see all the things the Chinese immigrants left...We all know about Ellis Island but their experience was just as moving. I d love to be there.Have a fab time.

• OK, in a change from my usual ramblings - calf guards? Any recommendations? I've been getting grumblings in my calf/Achilles regions, and I'm wondering if calf guards would help on the longer runs I'm planning in the summer. I've tried compression socks in the past, but I always end up going through the toes which makes them an expensive investment. Calf guards seem like a good alternative, and 2XU seem to be the most available, but does anyone else have any other recommendations?