Options

Paris Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

ATM - You could always add a bookmark to Internet Explorer, rather than relying on RW.

That way, you can always get to the forum and click on the 'first unread post' link

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

O, that is such a good idea! Thank you.image

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Internet Explore

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I've added it to Waterfox. Relax, Eggy.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I am deeply impressed by the rain now battering down...High quality downpour, this. The thunder and lightning are pretty spectacular. Home! With any luck, I'll be back out trotting in this before long..

• Options
    ATM wrote (see)

kaz, it's such a shame that flights off Orkney are so expensive image * I can see the Loch Lomond 2014 Tri in my crystal ball, for you, though...image Simon could train us. Eh, Scvoot, Eggy etc?*

Meantime, my forum Bookmarks are all gone..I have to find the thread everytime I log in.Or is it just me? Wohlf, LL and LawyerA, I've tried to message you through the forum but I don't know if that works or not.

I think I'll self-refer to PC91's ' odd tortoise' list...

I have never trained anyone in my life, but happy to oblige. We could be the 'Blind Leading the Blind' division of The 'Caledonian Massive' division of 'BCRC'.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh man I need to come and watch this....

You been let out of your shed then, MacPerks?  Or do you have wifi in there too?

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I m adding Loch Lomond Highland Games Tri to my list of Splendid Ideas. They allow relays so eveyone can play....And the Caledonia Spartans will be fresh from Paris image I haven t given up on that scheme. Wetsuits from Santa, all round..

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I ain't swimming.  No siree.  But I'll run, bike, cheer and take the piss.

• Options

Is there a doctor in da house?? - This is probably stupid and nonsense, but could my sore back be down to this cough thing?? Coughing up stuff for nearly 10 days now and my back is agony but worse when deep breathes or lying down??? Is is worth a trip to gp or am I becoming a hypocondriac(sp)???image

• Options

Thanks to everyone for their welcome and encouragement over the last 24 hours on doing my first marathon in Paris.   What a great bunch of peopleimage

I will take your advice and book it direct myself.

I am training at the moment to do the Great North Run, I did it three years ago and thorough enjoyed it but have not been consistently running since then, just the odd 10K here and there.  Now I have got serious!  I did an 8.5 mile run at the weekend and felt ok no real aches and pains but I have to keep having small 30 second breaks to cool down and don't feel as fit as I did last time.  

Has anyone got any tips on improving my fitness, cutting out stops and improving my speed?

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Ooooh now then, a few of us (not me) are doing GNR this year, so you might get to meet the Select Committee before the entire Dream Team in Parisimage

Tell us a bit more about your typical training week at the moment and what your aims are?  Then you'll get 17 different opinions....

• Options

Welcome LIVERSEDGE LESLEY. Any chance you could change your profile name to use lowercase letters - it's a bit easier on the eye you see. A serious but straight answer to your question about increasing speed and stopping less is quite simply - train more. I don't mean this in a flippant way. It's your first marathon. Maybe that's not obvious. The more you train, the stronger and harder your tendons, muscles, joints bones and psyche will be to handle the ravages of marathon running.

The next trick is to train more effectively. That means using a structured training programme. I heartily recommend a book with an intimidating title called "Advanced Marathoning" by some dudes called Pfitzinger and Douglas (Davis??) - P&D as you will hear it referred to on this thread. You should understand some of the training concepts they introduce. Reading thta bok alone will make you 20 minutes faster over a marathon. And keep coming back - we are a goldmine of friendship, encouragement and insightful advice.

• Options

ITLR - what can I say?

Firstly, thank goodness it's over and i can get back to normal sleep patterns!! image  Don't think I've had a proper night's sleep in two months.

Secondly, what an amazing bunch of supporters you guys have been to us on the thread, via personal messages, Facebook interactions etc. We heard your voice every day and it kept us going. Thanks for pushing us on when we doubted ourselves, thanks for providing financial support to meet our objective of creating a Childhood Development Centre at the squat in Brussels. What an experience to be there last night - not easy things for the team to see. The deprivation and squalor are so far outside of our world, yet as HelterSkelter pointed out, present in every town and city if you have the eyes to see it.

Finally, what an epic adventure. We overcame the worst that the weather gods could throw at us. We were a real team, stuck together, dug in, ran through some wonderful countryside, we laughed, we sang, we danced, we ran, we walked, we hobbled, we plastered our nipples, we jumped in lakes, we erected, we tore down (the tents). We blogged, we navigated, we detoured, we ate and we were fried, we pee'd yellow stuff, we drank warm water, we barfed, we made like a bear in the woods and ditches of Europe, we saw and were shocked, we made friends and we met a real tool ('nuff said about that) who we managed to cope with, without falling out. We told stories and we laughed. Well done everyone.

I loved it and am so relived it is over. I have 279 hours of sleep to catch up on before my beautiful woman comes to visit. Thanks everyone. So proud to be a part of this village.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Nodody cried?  I don't believe you....I cried and I wasn't even there image

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

And we need to know about the Tool.  Yes, we do.

• Options

Tricky Dicky your wish is my command, name changed. 

Thanks for the advice.  I am following a training plan to get ready for the GNR and I have just increased my training sessions from 3 to 4 per week.  I am doing two runs during the week of around 60 minutes and a longer run on Sundays increasing by 1 mile per week, I did 8.5 miles last weekend.  In an effort to further improve my fitness last week I have started doing one session with interval training with 1 minute sprint I minute walk on a 1% incline at the gym and doing a few weights.

P&D sounds like some serious reading, will have to get a copyimage

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Tricky - Well done, you deserve a rest after all the hard work you put in for ITLR.

Fantastic effort from everyone. I was sad I couldn't make it, but maybe lucky that I didn't as I really don't handle the heat well at all and I think I would have been suffering horrifically with the conditions you all manged to work through. Everyone who ran should be really proud of what they achieved.

LIVERSEDGE LESLEY - I always preferred to build on my stamina before attempting any pace work. Full training for Paris is a good bit away now, so why not build on being comfortable over the half distance and then look to inject some pace work into your training.

• Options
    PC -PC - ✭✭✭

+1 for P&D but I think you'll lose more than 20 minutes reading it and you risk running into a tree

TD - Fantastic organisation.  I'm OCD in logistics and I am utterly amazed.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Any chance of us groupies buying a T shirt? image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
    Scott the walker wrote (see)

Not posted on here for ages, but wanted to just say !

Amazing effort from everyone finishing that epic trek , theyre not doing it  for the personal glory but to help inform others of the terrible plight and suffering of those less fortunate than ourselves 

we live free , we can choose how we live our lives , they can't 

so proud to know the team and what they've achieved 

Thoughts are also with James B and his family 

Thanks Scott (et al) - brilliant words.

We have been through heaven and hell this week but remembering the plight of trafficked people and seeing the people and kids at the squat yesterday was a brilliant way to end ITLR.

All of your support has been invaluable. 

As per Weedy, our thoughts the last 2 days - since we heard - have been with James and his family.

Iain

Completely agree.

*waves to everyone*. I'll be reading through everything but the forum keeps collapsing on me.

Thank you to everyone for their support, welcome to everyone new. I'm off to sleep!

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Lesley, yeah there are quite a few of us doing the GNR - this will be my ninth, Weedy, iain and OO live up that way so they have quite a few GNR Medals between them. Its a packed race 50k+ runners but a great atmosphere and the Northeasterly folk are lovely!  The course is not really a negative split in my opinion, it's tough between miles 10-12. 

Also good call - build the stamina so your body is able to take the months of marathon training, and then when you train for Paris proper have a pace session in your training plan at least once a fortnight - preferably once a week if you can. My pace sessions involved interval training - but not particularly structured sessions, very much "how i felt on the day" - 8.5 miles (1 mile warm up, then sprint jog sprint jog etc) - some of these training books like P&D will give you more structure and make you stick to times, distances, Heart rates , different paces on your intervals - (on all your training sessions) - this will clearly get you a few more minutes on your goal time, but i was happy with my plan and there was more than enough structure for me to cope with.

It depends, if you have a lot of self discipline you can train without a book. The books will give you everything you need mind, so if you stick to exactly that, you should succeed. Take our Running Rodent and Yermaj, Both followed P&D plans and really stuck to their guns - RR, ran a PB and a good for age marathon qualifying time and Yermaj smashed her PB by loads (despite a few injury niggles).

One more thing - i was lucky enough to learn so much off the people frm this thread and get amazing support and encouragement throughout the winter training which after a while did wear me down. I listened and learnt and made adjustments to my training as i went along, thanks to a lot of the very clever people off here (like Tricky Dicky a.k.a Master Yoda) and exceeded my expectations in Paris.

• Options
    yer_maj wrote (see)

You been let out of your shed then, MacPerks?  Or do you have wifi in there too?

The weather is much cooler now YM, so my shirt and trousers are back on and I am free from the shed. For the time being anyway.

• Options

Welcome back ITLR. Sleep, sleep and more sleep. You deserve it.

TD - I do Logistics for a living, but I wouldn't fancy planning what you have just achieved..... Well done.

• Options
    yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    Simon MacPerky wrote (see)
    yer_maj wrote (see)

The weather is much cooler now YM, so my shirt and trousers are back on and I am free from the shed. For the time being anyway.

It's no ruddy cooler here...it's still vest'n'pants weather in Wales....

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

Its pretty muggy daan saaf so looks like its naked Tuesday in the Connell house (must remember kitchen towels on the leather sofa)

• Options
    MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Work and house moving have forced me into lurker mode. I will confess to having posted on a couple of other threads (shame on me image but they are far slower moving so I feel I have some chance of keeping up!image

Just had a read back. What an absolutely fantastic effort from the ITLR team. Totally inspirational stuff - this thread never ceases to be a source of motivation (and laughs too - vest'n'pants! image).

Can't believe the news about James. That is just terrible. Anyone know what the latest is on his condition?

• Options

Jimbob - er, thanks for that image.

Malcs - I think the latest was conscious and improving, but beyond that haven't heard. 

ATM - you would be welcome to one of my t-shirts but I doubt if anyone would want to go near them without a flamethrower and a bucket of industrial bleach. I am afraid to open my suitcase for fear of what is in there. 

So, anything been happening while we've been away? I hear there's been big royal news - a new king in Belgium image.

• Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    So, anything been happening while we've been away? I hear there's been big royal news - a new king in Belgium image.

Qwality comment there RR image

I confess she did see my bottom yesterday morning. Actually, they may have all seen me starkers after I got out the lake at the first German campsite, but everyone may have been polite enough not to mention it.  I may not have said before that I saw a totally starkers bloke with aggressive manscaping on Day 1, as RR and Emmy were running into Vienna (me navigating on the bike). He was just stood up in the undergrowth alongside the banks of the Danube.  Seems that was quite legit.

Like I said, there was some funny stuff going on all over Europe. image

• Options
    The JimbobThe Jimbob ✭✭✭

A-hem RR, with all the talk of bathing in the lake and marauding around Northern Europe in yer underwear I thought o natural was the norm these days .....