Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• On yesterday's long run I did a bit of experimenting with more solid food, as that's what will be available in the ultra.  Only had one - was a peanut butter whole grain kinda bar with jam in the middle - seemed to work pretty well in that it dod not feel to heavy.   Next up:  boiled potatoes covered in salt - apparently this is what is offered in Comrades 

• Pork crackling is worth breaking a tooth for

• Ok, I hate chest straps and that's why I don't wear my heart rate monitor.  They feel too constricting for me.  So, here is what appears to be the solution:

http://www.wtek-usa.com/hs2plus_strapless_compatible_heart%20rate_sensor.php

I intend to gamble the $65 and will report back.  ANT+ and Bluetooth versions available.

• Mmmmmm potatoes and salt....satisfies both my inner Irish and my inner Scot.  That's Scot.  Not Scott.

• We all need an inner Scott image
  • No.  We don't. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Dannirr - that seems interesting. I'm on my third strap and I still get chafed, so this could be a solution. 

See, Mike's Sister - warned you about Scottimage

• Welcome Mikes Sister. You're gonna have a ball in Paris. roll on the pub!

• Hi Mike's Sister

Suze - I'd check how long you get tied into a contract. I looked at a well-known gym beginning with the letter B and if I'd signed up I'd have been trapped in it for a year. As Duncan Bannatyne would say, "I'm out".

How's things today Eggy, RS?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    helterskelter wrote (see)

Will someone please tell me it gets easier?

It does... I've been told

*pokes head around door* morning all image Am in a little fuzz at the moment so just wanted to see how everyone was doing. I may not be posting a lot but i'm reading everyone's messages.

• Dannir - ah yes, the salted potatoes. I've been wondering how to try them out. And the braai. That I can have, if I run past Camden Market.

KS - I from what I've heard, my local Virgin gym is good, but expensive. I do know it smells nice when I run past.

• KS - personally I hate gyms! Agree with Tinks that you can do strength training at home for nowt without weights if you want. If you decide to join gym avoid using machines that encourage bilateral movement as these can cause muscle imbalances. 

I am ill again..... Think its the same lurgy revisiting.... Maybe never got over it properly. So yet another day off without running. I am coughing like I spoke 60 a day...and yesterday was sick during such episode - is it time fir a doc visit???

• Weedy - I seem to have returned to the lad of the living today. Will see how I get on with my run this evening.

Kaz - It might be worth a trip to the doctors. Either that or rest up until you feel 100% and don't force yourself out too quickly.

• Hi all

great reading all your fuelling tips.

cannot believe the race is 6 weeks on sunday! Argh!!!

now I need a bit of help if possible.  I have completely lost my mojo.  I am up to 18 miles which I have increased gradually.  I am sticking to my training schedule but I just feel like if I never had to run again it would be too soon.  I've felt like this for a few weeks now.  I have tried changing things like running to somewhere rather than in a loop.  Not sure it helped much I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

my next long run is 20 miles in just over a weeks time any advice gratefully received.

the other problem is that I feel tired all the time.  I am watching what I'm eating and getting a full 8 hours every night but still feel a bit hazy most of the day.

this is my first marathon so it is all new to me.

Melanie 

• SmellyMelly - I think wanting the training to be over and done with this far into marathon training is fairly normal for most folk. It's getting through times like this when motivation is low and you get out anyway that builds up the mental strength required to see you through on the day.

Feeling tired while training for your first marathon is to be expected. If you do them more regularly then your body adapts to the training, but I do remember feeling completely floored when I was training for my first one.

The taper is only four week away and with that comes reduced mileage and the chance to get a bit of rest. Maybe if you're feeling really tired take a couple of days off to recharge and feel a bit fresher.

• Melanie - it's not unusual to feel like this at this stage of the training. Does your training programme have any cutback weeks scheduled in? My suggestion is you take a few days off from training or do a very different kind of exercise instead. Often the body sends us signals to rest which our brain interprets as lack of motivation.

Trying swimming or cycling to keep your cardio-vascular training going. Or forget what the programme says and just go do a fartlek - run along and as you fancy it, just run fast/ sprint to the nearest tree/ bus stop/ yellow car. Make it fun and playful.

Or just give yourself permission to have a few days off. It's OK to do that. Your body is unlikely to gain much fitness benefit if you are feeling stressed or demotivated anyway. Good luck, keep sticking your head in here and you'll get lots of encouragement.

• I am in the 5hr club!

I did my longest ever run this w/end, 21 miles through floods and over trees! It was tough and my knees feel a bit sore, which is a shame as I haven't had any niggles at all yet other than a twisted ankle at the start of last week. I had 2 gels during the run and I'm definitely getting better at taking them, did to burp once!! image

I just started reading another thread where a guy was doing 25 miles a week training for a 10k and everyone was saying he's not doing enough miles. My target at the start of this year was to do 25 miles a week and that was in prep for Paris!

But I must say that I did end up beating that quite quickly in the end and am more like 35 miles a week now, and I think for my level of ability this is a big tick in the win column, but what mileage is everyone else focused on?
  • Morning Cherubs, I've tempo'd at mara pace to the office - 10 miles in 72 mins up'n'over hampstead.

Will try an easy run home, seem to have been doing more doubles (2 runs in one day) in this training cycle. It's quite good actually. I'll take the short 5-6 mile route home - it helps keep the weekly mileage up and I still get a couple of rest days a week. I can't believe I did 3 marathons last year and didn't own any type of foam roller, let alone the beautiful thing that is OROD. I'm on that bad boy every night!

Without it I don't think I'd be able to train as well as I have. Get one if you don't have it.

• Oooooft, 5k pace intervals at dark o'clock is an....interesting....way to start the day.  I'll be glad of my rest day tomorrow, that's for sure.  Then it's all eyes on Friday's Big One....20 miles with 14 @MP.  I sure am looking forward to that image  Depending on how I feel for Silverstone, this could be my last long chunk of MP before Paris so it feels pretty important....

Melanie & Heroine, it's tough at this point in training.  You've come a long way and there's still quite a way to go.  I had a total meltdown last week and the good folks of this thread picked me up and watched over me, knitting and gossiping while they did so.  There's always support in here.  Don't worry about what everybody else is doing, 35 miles a week is perfectly respectable for your first marathon and the goal is to get to that start line uninjured.

• I went to the doc and i hve bronchitis and a Sinus infection. One week of anti-biotics and rest. A feel the start line slipping further and further away.... image

• Kaz - That's a real shame. I think your main goal just now is get over these illnesses and being fully 100% before you think of running again.

Don't worrying about making the start line. You're fit enough to get around if you really want too, even if it means taking it very easy on the day. Just make sure you're at full health for your trip.

• Roll on Thursday to I hit the road again,just praying now that my injury has healed enough.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - take it easy and listen to your body. Rest and recover.

Melanie/Heroine - you're not alone. The dreaded CBA (cant be arsed) fairy can strike all of us at some point during training. As others have suggested - mix it up; try different routes, try running without a garmin/measurement. Just get out there and enjoy the fresh air.

• Thanks everyone

i am so relieved this is normal, I have been so worried that I wont have the stamina to finish on the day.

i have got cut back weeks this week is one of them I am doing cornwall half marathon in Bodmin.  

I like the idea of Fartlek training, I have a friend who would be great company for that. So will text her now.  

I dont really want to miss any of my training as I feel this will give me the best chance of succeeding on the day but will maybe vary it up a bit

thank you

• ha ha the dreaded CBA Fairy !!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Smellymelly  don't worry about not finishing. As long as you can get to the start line uninjured then the race will tow you around. 

Honestly with the other runners and the supporters, adrenaline coursing through your veins, you will be on fire. 

Then you will hit 18 miles and it will start to hurt and you'll wonder why on earth you ever signed up for this stupid event, no way will you ever do another -  but no way will you stop. This part of the race is what you are currently training for. This is the mentally tough bit. 

Then you'll see the finish line, which you will cross with a daft grin on your face - - and the magic of the marathon will kick in. Each step you take from the finish will be easier. With every metre that the Arc gets closer, the pains will ease and the troubles will lighten.

Then, Corcorrans to meet your thread buddies - wearing your finishers medal and t-shirt with pride.

I can almost guarantee that by the end of the following week you will have at least committed to, if not entered, another marathon. 

That's because runners are nuts. 

The CBA fairy is just another obstacle in your training -we've all had a visit. 

One last thing, if you think this is bad, wait until taper madness kicks in image

• Taper madness is fun. Obsessive compulsiveness in abundance. Packing/Unpacking/Repacking. No need for heavy training and no where to channel the extra energy that returns. Taper Paranoia, anyone who sneezes or coughs near you gets the evil eyes. Excitement, apprehension, jitters, impatience, just want to get that train (or plane) - get over there, have no ag at the expo with med cert or changing pens. Then once you have your bib, trying to get that attached neatly and centred to your running top, but oh, which top to wear!? Got to be the BCRC! Meet your fellow crazy running pals, Paris Baby x
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Smellymelly  don't worry about not finishing. As long as you can get to the start line uninjured then the race will tow you around. 

Honestly with the other runners and the supporters, adrenaline coursing through your veins, you will be on fire. 

Then you will hit 18 miles and it will start to hurt and you'll wonder why on earth you ever signed up for this stupid event, no way will you ever do another -  but no way will you stop. This part of the race is what you are currently training for. This is the mentally tough bit. 

Then you'll see the finish line, which you will cross with a daft grin on your face - - and the magic of the marathon will kick in. Each step you take from the finish will be easier. With every metre that the Arc gets closer, the pains will ease and the troubles will lighten.

Then, Corcorrans to meet your thread buddies - wearing your finishers medal and t-shirt with pride.

I can almost guarantee that by the end of the following week you will have at least committed to, if not entered, another marathon. 

That's because runners are nuts. 

The CBA fairy is just another obstacle in your training -we've all had a visit. 

One last thing, if you think this is bad, wait until taper madness kicks in image

I love you Orbutt... That's fantastic and such a good reminder!

• Top post orbutt,great motivational speech for anyone having doubts,we need to get you a megaphone for the starting line
  • Bike ride hill intervals for me today. Urgh. 5x the steepest thing around. image