Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Nice post Orbutt! 

The only thing I'm likely to do different to that is cry when I cross the finish line. Which I WILL cross.

• JB - that is the reason why at the end of the marathon. We celebrate with the customary "orbutt " Mo Farrah has the mobot , usain bolt has his lightning bolt , Robbie Keane had his forward roll and pistol shot , shearer had his one waggy finger , Bebeto had the baby cradle

We celebrate with our own salute to the great man , our own Hannibal Lector/ Britney Spears pop sock wearing knife weilding hunk of love

The orbutt is a pose with both hands over your head in the shape of an O , be careful though , in case you get a picture taken of said pose whilst running and ending up looking like a ballet dancer with no coordinatin or poise

All hail Orbutt image
  • I had intended to come on here and post that I just did a lovely 10M along the Garonne in Bordeaux this afternoon, it was lovely, but then I tripped and bodyslid down a french side street, a little bruised around the edges and the ego, so feeling a little sorry for myself - then I come in here and I'm grinning again 'cos you lot are lovely and I'm really very excited about Paris!

• on another note - back on toenails...image after Sundays LSR I now have a blister under one of my toenails, normally I would pop blisters, but not sure if that's wise for one under the nail... any advice?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Orbutt - very nicely put sir!

I genuinely thought I really was going mad during the last taper. Doesn't matter whether it's your first or you've done loads it always gets you image

Kaz - sorry to hear you've been ordered to rest. Still loads of time left so take it easy and come back stronger.

Jokeybhoy - fingers crossed for you on Thursday. Let's hope it's good news!

Heroine - great 21 miler, well done! 

Weekly mileage is quite an individual thing. I've heard people do marathons on very little and others who do 70+. I agree with YM - better to be slightly undercooked and fit than over trained and injured.

It'd be interesting to hear what those with more experience think about doing the longer long runs (the 20+ milers) if you're doing less than that in all the midweek runs combined? I reckon it's ok as long as you're careful and make sure you recover well before doing another one.

Actually, looking at Isabel' plan Sam has her doing 18 this weekend with 14 in the week so I guess that must be fine image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Oh you guys image

Malcs, interesting question. I do my weekday running in the evening and this doesn't give me a lot of time. This means that I can't do any real distances And only do a combined 20 miles in my three runs. 

Sundays, I'm doing 20 mile runs at the moment - so it balances out. 

• Morning Emmy. Or evening I should say

Kaz - Please look after yourself. Def time for a visit to the doc's. Don't worry about Paris. It's very over-rated - you won't miss anything. Except the firefighters. In fact, I'm thinking about not even bothering with doing Paris Marathon and just going for a little jog along the Seine that day image And if it's firefighters you want, I'll set fire to a litter bin or something for you and you can watch them in action from the comfort of a nearby bench.

Melanie - I think it's natural to be a bit demoralised when the long run starts to get long and you're slogging round on your own. Except you're not on your own - you've got all us lot slogging along beside you.

Heroine - my mileage is all over the shop. I had a rest week last week and managed a massive 6 miles. Yes, that's 6.

Jo - I'm not an expert on toenails, but I'd say if it's not hurting you, leave it as it is. The big thing is to work out what's caused it and make sure it doesn't happen again. ie was it your shoes too tight, your nail too long, wrong type of socks?

• Hi all,

Couple of things.

First, if people are still looking for accommodation they may want to try this website. My girlfriend and I have just booked some great accommodation at, what I would consider, pretty late notice. I was expecting to have to pay loads more for a crappy hostel before i found out about this.

www.airbnb.co.uk

Secondly. I am aiming for a 3 hour marathon and so want to start in the red or yellow zone. However it is my first marathon so I don't have results at this distance to justify my inclusion. Can I use half marathon times does anyone know? Anyone have experience of getting an early start time at their first marathon.

Many thanks

Johnny 

• Thanks Weedy - I think it's the shoes, I do have another pair which I'm breaking in, but have only worn them for a couple of runs so didn't want to go straight to a 20+M... hopefully it won't happen again, it's more uncomfortable than sore, but I could definitely feel it on the run today so a little concerned about making it worse in the half on sunday...

• Orbutt - between that post and your video, I'm going to have to tie myself to my couch to prevent me jumping on a plane to Paris.

Really nice short recovery run today - just 4 miles but loved it. Weather superb.

• Mileage is a very personal thing Heroine. Everyones lifes are different, and time is a major factor in  The mileage game. Mine varies greatly from week to week, depending on weather, family commitments, work etc. 2 weeks  ago I did a 63 mile week, last week 5 and this ne os going to be none(Although not by choice). 

Yes Weedy I will look after myself... Stocked up on Vitamin C tonight, but wish I hadasked dad to do chauffering duties- there was a few coughing episodes where the car was lucky to remain on the road! image 

• Dan, you know you want to....jump on a plane, fly a few stools, a few drinkies in Corcorans...

• Johnny - Welcome to the thread. Airbnb is pretty popular with a lot of folk around here who use it for booking places in Paris. Sorry but no idea about qualification for the fast pen. Maybe one of our resident speedy types can clear that up for you.

• E mmy wrote (see)
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Smellymelly  don't worry about not finishing. As long as you can get to the start line uninjured then the race will tow you around. 

Honestly with the other runners and the supporters, adrenaline coursing through your veins, you will be on fire. 

Then you will hit 18 miles and it will start to hurt and you'll wonder why on earth you ever signed up for this stupid event, no way will you ever do another -  but no way will you stop. This part of the race is what you are currently training for. This is the mentally tough bit. 

Then you'll see the finish line, which you will cross with a daft grin on your face - - and the magic of the marathon will kick in. Each step you take from the finish will be easier. With every metre that the Arc gets closer, the pains will ease and the troubles will lighten.

Then, Corcorrans to meet your thread buddies - wearing your finishers medal and t-shirt with pride.

I can almost guarantee that by the end of the following week you will have at least committed to, if not entered, another marathon. 

That's because runners are nuts. 

The CBA fairy is just another obstacle in your training -we've all had a visit. 

One last thing, if you think this is bad, wait until taper madness kicks in image

I love you Orbutt... That's fantastic and such a good reminder!

Thank you thank you thank you, I've arrangled fartlek training with some friends tomorrow eve so will let you know how it goes. 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Johnny - I'm pretty sure that someone recently said that you didn't need to prove your time for Red or Yellow, only for Preferential. What pen did you put down when you applied?

• Johnny, are you already in the red zone? Hopefully you'll get no ag, but I'd take your fastest half result just in case you need to work the old charm. If you're in a slower pen, then wear a nice suit and a pleasant fragrance and work that half resultimage

• The Jimbob method of diminishing returns....

• Hi Johnny - welcome on board - you only need to prove times to get in the Preferential pen. If you've entered the marathon and been accepted then you will have already been allocated a race number and a pen. You can change the pen number at the Expo without miuch fuss.

I looked at your profile and am curious to know why you think you'll make it round in the top 3-5% of runners on your first mara. That's some big confidence. Tell us your story...

Jo - are you feeling a bit better now after your fall? Hope you are OK.

Good luck and lots of fun tmrw Melly - mess about as much as you want to. No inhibitions

• I freely admit to knowing very little about what goes on at the pointy end of the marathon, but this is a direct lift from the website:

'The red and yellow starting zones are reserved to runners who provide proof of previous race results obtained within the last two years.'

What it doesn't say is what proof is required, and whether the race results need to be from marathon distance. Try an email to the organisers maybe?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Johnny, I know the website says they'll look for proof even for the yellow and red pens but, as TD says, they'll probably hand you the colour you've asked for.

I have seen someone move up...at the desk marked 'Litiges'..either from Yellow to Red or Red to Preferential, I couldn't make out which...He had no justification and the decision seemed to be made by a quick look at him. So, get your game face on image Good luck.

• I might try my Gazelle face.  Who knows what might happen image

• You might be eaten by a lion.

• Thanks guys, i'll get ready to turn on the charm. My girlfriend is fluent in the lingo so i'll get her to fight my corner if needs be.

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

I looked at your profile and am curious to know why you think you'll make it round in the top 3-5% of runners on your first mara. That's some big confidence. Tell us your story...

yeah i know it is a big ask for a first marathon so I guess we'll see what happens. My pbs over shorter distances suggest I have the form but I know it's a step up. I have been following a 22 week training plan and properly geeking it up on the literature and the blogs online to prepare myself. That said I have just weathered a killer month of brutal work and nagging minor injuries which i've been nursing to prevent turning into anything bigger and the training is a bit off plan. Going to give up booze for lent now as a last resort to get back on track!

• Preferential

-

Red/Rouge
    3156 OO
    3169 The Jimbob
    3537 Lorry Dodger

Yellow/Jaune
    8073 Clean Leeds Rob
    8144 Chownsie
    8493 Mr RaRa
    8890 CiaronG
    10802 Simon MacPerky

Blue/Bleu
    14377 Kaz1
    14665 Racing Jules
    16332 Ward6
    17406 Reading Hatter
    19571 Andy W
    19617 Peter O

Purple/Violette
    26005 Stewart
    26086 Emmy H
    26090 Whaqatac
    26097 Suzy Martines
    26113 yer_maj
    26220 ATM
    26240 Radar Sal
    26278 Helterskelter
    26347 Orbutt
    26696 Eggyh73
    27359 Manfred
    27496 Keyser Suze
    27535 Lawyeraaron
    28274 PC
    31247 Luke Wordsworth
    31602 Lloyd Richardson
    32705 Elizabeth Ellis 3

Green/Vert
    38002 Zeenawarrior
    38246 Wordslinger
    38273 SweatySock
    38340 Emma Goldhawk 2
    38436 Brix
    38959 Steve Hawtin
    39040 Running RaRa
    40429 NGUG
    40742 Scott the Walker

Grey/Grise
    51228 Odie85
    51229 TartanPimpernel
    51317 Defender Ken
    51367 Defender Jo
    51631 thisisnatty
    52142 Dannirr
    52163 BRF
    52193 Marathon Maus
    53233 Benignmummering

Pink/Rose
    58102 Kirsten Lancs Lass
    58106 SmellyMelly
    58270 Classicaldiva
    58329 Harry P
    58339 Ogechi Ughaonu
    58922 DV
    60399 Steve Ayling
    60424 JonnyDisco

Cheerleaders/Flag Wavers
    Mrs Mac
    RR
    TD

• The list is above.   I haven't updated it for about 4 months, so if anyone is missing please say so and I'll add you...

• Dannirr wrote (see)

Orbutt - between that post and your video, I'm going to have to tie myself to my couch to prevent me jumping on a plane to Paris.

Plane..   you'll be in London..?   The easiest way is on the Eurostar from St.Pancras..

• Hey DV, I do believe Mr TD is missing from Pen Rouge. I believe his number is 5134. Rather fitting given he is red hot. And not a bad little runner too. 

And can you change my name? Do you need to see a copy of the Deed Poll? image

10km FRAPPE* yesterday for me. Not fast. Not pretty. Poor form. But I didn't drown in my snot like I have been doing for the last few weeks, so I'm counting that as a win.

Oo. And due to TD's fabulous research, we have booked Paris accommodation. So that means we're really really going to be there. Even if I don't end up running. I might finally get to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower this time!image

[*First Run After Paralysing Plague Evacuated image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed Tricky is a pretty tasty runner if he can keep his fragile bod on the road image

• OO-51 wrote (see)

Indeed Tricky is a pretty tasty runner if he can keep his fragile bod on the road image

Hands off OO - he's mine! image

I'm working on keeping his bod on the road - daily body-thumping massages seem to be helping his hurty derriere. Turns out his calf muscles are a bit hurty too. Is it wrong of me to enjoy inflicting a little pain?

• DV - I'll probably be moving down to join all the lovely pink people.  I'm pacing someone who is just going for a finish but will confirm idc.