Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Oh my! We have our first stool of the year photo!!

Orbutt - it came to me during my drive why your Orbutt came off your shirt. When i had my name put on my shirt -they said that it shouldnt be worn for 7days and it shouldnt be washed as the stuff needs to "adher" to the shirt fabric

• Orbutt wrote (see)

Mattywar -  looking good. I had the same problems when I was increasing my cadence. To get an idea of what it feels like, try running on the spot to the metronome. This will let you feel what the tempo is like. 

You'll find that youll have to shorten your steps, at first, but once you get used to it your stride length will return. It may feel like shuffling. 

BTW - if you set your watch to Auto Lap on either Mile or Km you'll see your individual splits. 

Thanks Orbutt image The problem is, the sessions are run using a Workout I created on Garmin Connect. So I configure a 5min warm up and down, then a 60min session at a certain HR. BUT when you do it this way it refuses to autolap!

The suggesstion according to Garmin Forums is to configure your workout to be repeats of 1m/1km - But then you can't run a session by Time without making estimations to the finishing distance - Something I would have WELL underestimated yesterday!

My biggest problem is, being so anal that I want to run my training plan to the letter!

• Mattywarr - glad the cadence suggestions are beginning to help. But do press on with it - your avg is still quite a way short of ideal cadence.

PC - the best way to think of cadence is like timing of an engine. It's no good the spark plug firing when the piston is at the bottom of the cylinder or worse for engine health, when the piston is travelling upwards to the head. Having a timing of 180 steps a minute means that the body is not stalling, that energy is transferred forwards rather than upwards. You go faster, use less energy, feel smoother, fly more.

So keep going with it Matty. Change your green dots to blue to purple. image

One other bit of advice - have a look at SportTracks (from Zone 5 Software). You can use plug-ins to build up the Garmin workouts but you can then divide up your running data into any kind of split you want - kms, 500ms, miles, 5 miles... But it has to run on a PC

• Absolutely - Going to try 175 today (Can't run Saturday so moved to today) and will go for the full 180 on tuesday (Interval session!)

ATM has emailed some great tips about altering my music tempo so I don't just have the tick of a metronome in my ear! Should be able to do that monday in time for tuesdays run.

Thanks all for your advice!

Also further great news - lost another 3lbs this week image Bad news is, off on a stag do this weekend so its unlikely to be that good next week!

• Stuchbury - I am a volunteer counsellor with ChildLine - I hear ya, sister!

• Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

One other bit of advice - have a look at SportTracks (from Zone 5 Software). You can use plug-ins to build up the Garmin workouts but you can then divide up your running data into any kind of split you want - kms, 500ms, miles, 5 miles... But it has to run on a PC

Just spotted this too - will take a look at that. I have a Mac but I have windows running in VMWare Fusion.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I love the tinkering-around-with-this-stuff, M image  It's displacement activity.

• Public service announcement - if you're a Kindle sort of person, there's a book in today's Daily Deal called Anatomy for Runners. I've never heard of it and don't know if it's any good, but it's only 99p today so I'll take the risk.

• I'm going to give this cadence stuff a serious go once I'm back running.during my run the other day I noticed my cadence is currently around 160.Probably another part of the reason I'm injured,looks like I'm an over strider
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - my butt didn't get blown off, thoughimage

I have a new Or ready to go - wouldn't want to run around Paris with just my butt on display

• Jokeybhoy - Definitely worth it. I've just finished another session which felt easier than it would have done with my old cadence.

Set the 'nome to be 176 (knowing I'd drop some here and there) and boom! Check out my blues!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/452662128

182 next time out!
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Matty - that's amazing ! New 10k PB ?  I downloaded a metronome and listened to it, I can't believe that you listen to tic tic tic......x 170 per minute for an hour. Must drive you mad. Does the sound make your feet move in time naturally ? I missed the first bit advice, is there anything you have to do to get started ? I'm worried about running too fast.

• It's peeing down. Am going to reluctantly trudge my ass around the forest whilst wanting to be sat inside reading a book with a cup of Bovril (or something nice!).

• Mattywar: Cadence kept cropping up while reading up about my injury.It seems to play a big part in injuries.
  • Dearly beloved. Some running data. Mattywarr - have a look at cadence and stride length. Happily I didn't get any pain in my knee.

Big old wet bike ride in the morning. image

• Good luck to everyone running events this weekend, I'm at Reading so if your there I may bump into you

• Medical certificate finally signed and back in my safe possession image first doctor refused without a full medical. Reluctantly agreed only to walk in today expecting a full medical with the designated GP who took one look at me and just signed the form ! 

• I really like the sound of all the cadence stuff. Will look into it when Paris is over.. A PB is not on the cards so don't want to rock the boat by changing stuff, I just want to finish!

On another note, it is Friday, no-one died this week, I am running in the morning and mini Stuchbury no.2 just went to sleep all by himself without sobbing. We will be buying a small shopping basket tomorrow (his choice of toy if he went to sleep by himself for three nights in a row). Off on the bike in garage... Good luck for the weekend's running all!

• Reading Half for me this weekend. Already been to the race hq this evening as got wrong start zone for my race number. All sorted nowimage

good luck to everybody racing this weekend!!!

• Stanley Park 10k in Blackpool for me in the morning.  Winds light, this weekend.  Going for a pb and sub 50 mins.

Good weekend running everyone.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Well, a 26.2 mile LSR done today on top of yesterday's 10 miler brings the week thus far to 50 miles with 5-7 to go.

Today's LSR went well until the last 5 miles or so when my usual shoulder pain cropped up and was just incredibly painful - forcing more walking that I would have liked.  I tried to time the walk with the uphills as this will be my Comrades strategy, but I sure wish I could figure out what it is and fix it!  Anyway, a 4.20 time wasn't too bad for the run, plus all the calls and texts that kept coming form work stopped me a few times.

Happy running everyone this weekend.

• Terrific running there Dannir.  Do you have any pain on the other side of your body, hip, knee, elbow, opposite to your shoulder? Maybe you have a slight alignment issue to be resolved? Hope you get it fixed.

Good luck today racers, especially those in Blackpool (town of my birth!). Isn't something happening in Silverstone this weekend? Happy non-running today to those of you giving that a bash.

• Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. Dannir - that sounds like a good solid block of running. Can you get a sports massage to identify any knots? Or as TD suggests, maybe get your gait looked at? Over those kinds of distances even a tiny imbalance is going to add up.

Just for fun I videoed myself on the treadmill in the gym yesterday. Interesting results - I'm more even than I used to be (I had a habit of not picking up my right foot) but I'm still over striding and heel striking more than I would like. Need to focus more on good form.

• Great running Dannirr! I get a pain in my right shoulder on LSRs too. Wish I knew what caused it.

Had a pretty uninspiring week of running this week. My heart rate "thing" is not doing me any favours. My resting heart rate is still sitting at around 100 BPM, but I've got quite low blood pressure. This means my recovery capabilities in speed work are woeful. I was honestly ready to quit training on Thursday.

Yet here I sit, fuelling up for an LSR. image

In good news, though, I've recovered a little self discipline and seen the scales drop 2.5kg this week. Nothing to be sneezed at and a poignant reminder that I was eating waaaay too much!

• Whoah TD that's impressive! If I can master the cadence at an extended stride length I'll make leaps and bounds in progress (boom boom)!

PC - No 10k PB, it wasn't as quick as yesterday. At the moment yes I literally have the ticking in my ear. It's strangely therapeutic! I do find a natural rhythm in time wth it, but it's most useful when I feel myself dropping the tempo to keep me focused. Long term I'm hoping to just 'get used to it' and it become natural, but in the mean time I'm going to alter the BPM on a bunch of my favourite tunes in a special playlist that should keep me in time!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Dannirr - Great running. 

Good luck to all the racers this weekend. I'm all porriged up for my long run. Looks like it might be a dry one for once!

• Danniir - Great running. And very quick for an interrupted training run. Hope you get the shoulder sorted.

Good luck to everyone out there this weekend either LSRing or Racing.

I am just home from a difficulter than it should of been 14 miles. The recovery from this infection, being back at work, and very heavy legs(I seem to be carrying a lot more fatigue than normal??) are taking there toll. Optimistically hoping to get another slow 10k in later but I will see how I feel image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Good luck, Jema, at the Paris Half, tomorrow image 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I dont low what causes the shoulder pain.  It kicks in around 12-14 miles, and often I can "ignore" it and eventually it subsides, but occasionally it just keeps getting more painful - like yesterday.  I've tried the sports massage  - I used to go every week for months and months, until she moved too far away.  While those helped overall, they never helped this.  It might well be gait or alignment, or the way I hold my arms and hands. just don't know.  During the Disney Marathon BRF smeared some heat/cool gel on it from an aid station - that did seem to help.

And just to be clear - the time for the run was the moving time only  -all my interruptions are not included, but I am happy with that as I was only out for LSR paced run image

TinkerBel - dropping 2.5kg in a short time is great.  Well done!

• Thanks ATM! I've just been to the Expo village to pick up my stuff and am quite excited by it all! Having spent the past two weeks feeling like I'd totally overdone it and should never have tried to deny my professional Couch Potato status, I'm now eating flap jacks like there's no tomorrow and actually looking forward to it! Hopefully I didn't peak two weeks ago... Will let you know how it goes.

Thank you all for your help in any case. Don't think I'd have made it to the start line without your brilliant advice image