Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Sigh. I'm going to have to wear that second tutu round my neck like a ruff, aren't I, unless there are more takers? Jokeybhoy - don't give up yet. Keep it short and slow and keep up the cycling, you never know.

Good stuff Scott - and best of all you're still in one piece. Onwards and upwards.

No racing for me this morning but a steady 14 miles at what turned out to be MP +7%.  Starting to ease off on the mileage a bit for Barcelona now. And today's run marked the exact halfway point in my Comrades programme.

*sits on sofa with popcorn waiting for the rest of the race reports*

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

32k done today and it was a real learning experience.

Took Tricky's advice and tried running 14-15 miles (24km) at my proposed marathon pace. 

I tried a new out/back route which involved a hill at the beginning and end but was very flat where I needed it to be. 

All was going well and I was running at or close to MP for 20km but then someone turned the boiler off and I ran out of energy. It was just like a marathon, despite fuelling well and taking on fluids, my legs decided not to play ball. 

I stopped for about 2 minutes and then cracked on but it was turning into a trudge. I nearly stopped again but my coach wouldn't let me. 

Then the death march began, up the hill (which is a real beast, especially at 18 miles). 

What did I learn from today's run?

Big runs with MP sections hurt, especially at this point in the campaign. 

When Mrs O says, "No stopping" it's best to just keep going. 

My Paris goal needs reviewing. I will move back one pen and aim for a smaller PB. This means I will get an ass kicking from Yer Maj but that might actually be fun when combined with Guinness. 

Just for a laugh, here's the profile of the run

/members/images/676282/gallery/elevation.JPG

• Orbutt - Well done. Any run with MP is hard at this point. My legs will tell you that today and I only did 7 miles yesterday at around about what goal pace would have been. I am sure with a couple of weeks it will seem easier and doable. This time last year running 26.2 miles at 4hr pace was inconceivable for me......and look what happened there!image 

• Orbutt - I had the exact same run last week, nearly destroyed me and the thought of any long run was something I didn't want to think of ,

I took a cut back week and it helped ,

You've had a hard run last week , on top of all the training it's no wonder you felt drained , it will come together on race day though

RR , I've got Pringles at the ready for the race reports
  • Orbutt - That looks like a mean run with a mean hill at the end. No hills in Paris, though and you'll be all nicely tapered.

I PB'ed in the Bath Half by 4mins in 1:54:58.  Its not an amazing time but I'm quite happy with that because it felt like much less of a killer effort then last year. It felt hard but sustainable right to the finish and my pacing was really even throughout. My legs feel OK right now which is great because I need to step-up the training next week. Same kind of race as ever: dull route but great crowd support. No black toe this year.

If feels odd that I can run 8.40s for 13.1m for a Half whilst I'm aiming to do 11min/miles for Paris (because of the lack of training due to injury). Its going to be an annoying challenge to run an even or negative split but I think I'll be crawling around the Bois de Boulogne otherwise.

Really curious to see how all you well-trained fast people got on at Silverstone.

• Oh the pressure! I'm not too sure what's expected of a race report, so here's my rather tired, and rather drunk attempt at one, after a Long Late Lunch image

The Paris Half was brilliant! I really enjoyed it. The weather was perfect – cold and sunny – so that certainly helped. And it was really well organised – even the Expo Village the day before, loads of people but no queues.

The number of people participating wasn’t a problem either – I’d been stressing about that beforehand but it actually wasn’t that bad. I suppose when you’re in the middle of it you just concentrate on what’s happening around you.

There were crowds lining a lot of the route, either cheering us on, or pushing pushchairs and dragging small children across the paths of runners – life definitely doesn’t stop for the semi – there was even a car trying to pull out of his drive into the middle of the race!

There’s a faint blue line painted on the road showing the optimum path, which I tried to follow, although it probably doesn't make that much difference, and the route seemed flatter than I was expecting. The only really upward areas (don’t think they really qualify as hills, but definitely upwardly undulating) were rue Taine, when you come back into Paris after Parc de Vincennes – but it’s short, and immediately followed by a downhill section so not too bad, and then rue Reuilly, after Bastille, which is long and slow and felt like it was going on forever, but I’d strategically placed Mr JM near the top so that gave me something to focus on, looking out for him.

The water stops were total mayhem – people darting around in every direction, fruit peel and water bottles all over the road, and don’t run near the bins because you have to dodge people lobbing water bottles at you in a vague attempt to get them in the bins!

The only disappointment was the Pompiers – I thought they’d be draped provocatively over the ladders, but though the ladders were out, there was no draping, just general milling and a bit of cheering if you roared at them!

Oh, and the pens were surprisingly dry, but the poor trees in Vincennes got a good watering.

So Paris 2015 here I come! Good luck to you all doing the real thing next month. Hope you have a great day image

• Ah......if only I had not zig zagged so much would have possibly got a pb, ran 0.2 miles more at Reading and missed it by 10 secs, frustrating though not every day you over take a tiger! Happy with 1:26:30

Hope others racing went well and pesky illnesses and injuries clearing and stay far away
  • RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Great run at Reading and got a PB of 1:22:05!

Fantastic race and will definitely do this again. Garmin said I ran 13.27 miles so expecting Paris will probably be around 26.6 miles on the watch?
  • Lovely to hear people racking up PBs and good times. Well done all.

Orbutt. Sterling effort. Not sure I would come to such conclusions so rapidly. It was tough so you are choosing to slow down but have you learnet anything about fuelling? Have you factored in the fatigue at the onset of the run or the fact you hard a dirty great hill to climb at the end, whereas Paris is pretty flat? What about your averge HR? What was that like compared to when you are rested? The higher the HR, the faster the rate of energy burn....Don't be hasty revising goals downwards my friend. Find a pace where your energy burn rate is sustainable, with fuel additions, to last the race.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Great running from everyone today.

Orbutt - Sometimes these long runs chew us up and spit us back out again. I wouldn't be surprised if you nail it next weekend.

I had one of those runs this weekend. After feeling miserable about how it went all yesterday afternoon I had to look at what the issues could be. One is my groin still isn't 100% and it starts to hurt more as my form weakens towards the end of a long run. The second is I need to look at my diet and sleep. I slept for 12 hours last night. Then after being awake for 2 hours I fell asleep for another 3 hours this afternoon. I'm a long sleeper anyway, but that is a sign I'm not getting enough during the week. Secondly I actually think I need to eat more! I cut out all the crap I was eating such as cakes, biscuits, crisps and sweets and replaced it with nothing. I'm now wondering if this has resulted in me training while not eating enough.

• Eggy - yes eat more! I truly believe underfuelling is the root of a lot of problems. I am slowly learning that cutting calories in a bid to lose weight has only lost me time and health. I will admit this only once! 

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm still eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just no snacking. I think I might have to find a couple of healthy snacks to munch on. I'm not bothered about my weight. I was just seeing how cutting the junk out, and there was a lot of junk, would help my training. I'm not sure it has.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Tricky, I know how you love graphs. The following shows my pace against my HR. there seems to be a gradual climb from 16km, which was the point that I turned back for home - you can see where I had to stop too.

I wasn't really thinking about the hill, as I was due to have slowed down by then.

I took gels every 30 mins, with a caffeine gel at 2hrs.

Any ideas?

/members/images/676282/Gallery/Heart_Rate.JPG

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB Joe! That long stretch was pretty tough and never-ending with wind against as well...
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Joe - Well done, 9 minutes is a huge chunk of time to knock off a half PB.

• had a lovely arvo with my pals Radar Sal, Yermaj, Helterskelter and Keysersuze .....

ran a 1.24.44 (36 second pb) in shitty conditions at Silverstone still recovering from my cold. I'd targetted a 1.22/1.23 at this race, but plans were scuppered when I got the cold. The headwinds were the final nail in that coffin but pretty chuffed with that and there's more in there. Popped some paracetmols now to take the edge of the cold - had a bit of a temperature after the race. getting out of the car park was effing horendous today and won't be going back for that race. I've 5 silverstone medals in the collections - thats enough. Back at reading next year for sure.

Nie 1.22 roundman, 1.26 agentpeguin and 1.33 Joe at Reading. Nice pb also to me main man Scott The Walker! Lovely Long Run TD - stalked your stats and they are awesome fella. Thats a great workout for the distance and will hopefully give you some confidence for Paris (as long as the bod don't let you down)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Orbutt, my HR tends to raise gradually during a run, and especially in a race. Nothing to worry about it just means you were having to work hard.   

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I think it was just one of those days that come when training is peaking.  Your body is tired, Its out of reserve.  Your training has been stellar.  Trust it.  It'll come through for you.

•  

Hey TinkerBEL - I know I should have of ran further on Saturday but just didn't have time to run more than 20km.  So the week before I did 30km, and this weekend planning on 35km.  Should I be planning on longer runs through the week on top of my weekend LSR? 

Just about to read back on everyone elses posts so I can reply and not just be selfish and write about myself!

TinkerBEL wrote (see)

Hey Rach, I'm a bit confused...you did a 19.31km run yesterday, and you're going to jump up to 32-35km next weekend? That's a giant leap in terms of distance.

Your next couple of weeks should include some long slow runs - the experts will be along shortly to advise on the best strategy - but your plan doesn't seem to have those built in.

• Wow everyone's PBs are fantastic. I'd love to break 2 hours for a 1/2 so you guys are completely blitzing me! image  

I only have 7 work days left until we head to London and I am SO over it.  If only I didn't usually love my job, and also need the $$ I would be on leave already. Saying that my hubby is home with a cold so it is probably a bit more peaceful at work! LOL  image 

• Rach - sorry I'm going to be away in Barcelona the weekend you're in London otherwise it would have been fun to meet. As well as the runs you've suggested there's also the Regent's Canal (you can join it at Regent's Park) and the Thames Path along the river, which can be busy in places but has some great views.

I think your plan looks fine. The one comment I'd make is are you mixing up the paces, or running everything at the same speed? I'd suggest making one of your midweek runs at marathon pace so you know what it feels like, and use one of the others for hills or speedwork. There's been some discussion of speedwork on here earlier, but you can either do fartlek (pick a point, sprint to it, jog to recover, pick another point), or something like 5 x 2 minutes at your 5k pace. And if you want hills in London, Hampstead Heath has plenty.

• Doc in 20 mins..... Will she say 'YES'??? 

I have been looking at my running log for last two months. At the beginning of Jan I did 19 miles at 10.22, my next 19.5 miles when I was starting with lurgy was at 10mm and my 14 miles on Sat morning was 9.37mm all with HR under 70%. Just thought I'd share as iI felt I hadn't been making any gains. image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

There is going to be some dust flying in Paris.

Hello to, and well done, the Reading boys... Joe and Roundman with their PBs and AgentPenguin on top form.image

The Silverstone gang, The mighty Jimbob leading the charge, followed by YM and KSimage

Suzy M and Pottermoss, how did it go ?

Rach - Do you have a shed ?  If your husband has germs, lock him up.  Please don't bring germs to Europe.

Mr O - Eggy is right, I bet it works next week.  Your run looks like a big smile, you'll nail it. image

kaz1 wrote (see)

Eggy - yes eat more! I truly believe underfuelling is the root of a lot of problems. I am slowly learning that cutting calories in a bid to lose weight has only lost me time and health. I will admit this only once! 

You can admit it only once but we'll quote you every time.image  21 miles, even split, is an amazing achievement after being so ill.image  The recipes you mention are mouth watering and extremely healthy. Imagine what you will be capable of if you fuel right, the DoH will be a walk in the park.

Dirty Emmy - 49 image

Matty - Don't tell Kaz but I didn't fuel correctly on Friday but I attempted 170 cadence. I also added a hill to the route.  I did 35 mins, felt with the metronome clicking in my ears I couldn't daydream so I was concentrating on running.  Normally I don't get a second wind but did another 15 mins at the same rhythm.image

Yesterday my LSR was pushed back from 6pm to 9pm and I had a quick snack before heading out of the door.image. I've misplaced my Garmin charger so I was running blind, I did 2h30. There were positives but I would have liked to have known how fast and how far.  I felt pressure as had heard of the exploits of many of my friends. Well done to all, sorry if I missed anyone.  Looking forward to reading the reports.

• Well done all

Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 9: Ashby 20-miler - Hatter. East Hull 20-miler - Leggy Mountbatten. Finchley 20-miler - Jimbob, Leeds Rob, Scott W. Foulees de Savigny Half - PC. Grizzly 20-miler - TrevO.
    Mar 16: Gainsborough 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Barcelona Marathon - Emmy, 1T, Pottermoss, RR, RS. Sweatshop 10-miler - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Mar 23: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Garioch Half - Uisige Jo. Georgia Marathon - Danni. Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Richmond Half - Smelly Melly. Stanford Hall Half - Leggy Mountbatten.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's 50th birthday.
    Mar 29: Eco Trail de Paris 30k - TP.
    Apr 6: Paris Marathon - Jean-Pierre, Pete, Scott, Nino.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Palestine Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Apr 13 London Marathon - Carl D, Danni, OO, RaRa, RS, Wiola. Rotterdam Marathon - Emmy.
    Apr 21: Boston Marathon - RR.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    Apr 27: Great Edinburgh Run - Eggy, HS, Iain. Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Marseilles Half - ATM. Plymouth Half - Keyser Suze, Jimbob.
    May 4: North Lincolnshire Half - Leggy Mountbatten. Sunderland 10k - Iain.
    May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Leeds Half - Andy W. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 18: Brussels 20k - Iain. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, TP.
    May 23: Suzy M's birthday.
    May 25: Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt. London 10K -Jimbob.
    May 29 Troi Rocs - 1T, TP.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, RR.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: HS, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - TP.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 10: RR's birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, HS, Scott W, Simon Mac.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday.
    Jul 27: Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tink's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Virgin London Tri - Wi.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon Mac.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Great North Run - Andy W.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.
    Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Eggy, HS, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr KS, RR, Simon Mac, Suzy M, TP, Weedy.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, DV, Iain, TD, Tink, Yer Maj.
    Oct 6: 1T's birthday.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
    Oct 19: Abingdon Marathon - Chownsie, Jimbob, Stuchbury. Denver Marathon: Orbutt.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Leeds Rob's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-9: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO's birthday.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: TP's birthday.
    Feb 5-8: Quadzilla - Emmy, Weedy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: RS's birthday.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Good luck at the docs.

Just to give you a boost your improvements are better than mine and I haven't been ill. I've been hovering around 10 m/m to 10:10 m/m average pace on all my long runs this time around, which is well down on my typical pace for these distances. I'm normally closer to 9:10 to 9:30 m/m average pace.

• PC - Its strangely hypnotic that metronome right?! And the effects have been unbelievable. Everyone got bored of me bleating on about my improvements this weekend.

Cracking work from everyone racing. Looks like the winter weather, as brutal as it's been, has resulted in some terrific improvements and PBs - brilliant work all.

I was on a stag do all weekend which is why I trained Friday instead of Saturday. And yesterday came my penance for a weekends indulgence. Wind, rain, hail, freezing temperatures. Thank heavens it was a cut back week - 'Only' 16m LSR. Had no chance to remix my music and NEEDED it to get me through so I bypassed my cadence training for the day. Still it seems to have had a knock on effect. The run itself felt good and if the conditions weren't so horrendous I would have been buzzing by the end. Instead I shivered my way to the bath!!

• Weedy - can you add me to some races there? Cheers image

March 16th - Fleet Half
    March 30th - Yeovil Half
    May 11th - Bristol 10k
    May 25th - London 10k

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Matty - A half the week before Paris! I hope you are doing that at jogging pace.