Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Kaz - Sorry to hear that.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Kaz, Can you go back in a few weeks or see another Doctor ? Blag one in Paris on the Friday (20€) ?  You can run the DoH but need a certificate for Paris. image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh Kaz....is that a final no or do you get another chance?

Some amazing running over the weekend from lots of us.  Orbutt, you've had some sound advice my friend, I agree with TD, don't change your plans just yet.  If ever there was a living testament that after a bad patch it can all suddenly come together, it's me.  Have a few days rest.

Silverstone....well.  It was very cold, very windy and, by the end, very wet.  Poor Mr Maj stood there papping us and was literally shaking with cold by the time I finished.  Then as Jim says, it took 2 hours to get out of the carpark so I won't be doing that one again.

On the plus side, the course is, predictably, wide and not too congested.  This also means if you overcook the corners, like wot I did, you end up running 21.68 kms.

Came in on target at 1:50:49 - an 8 minute pb.  Absolutely over the moon with that and it puts me spot on target for Paris, although up another VDOT for training paces.  The plan for the next 5 weeks is to not get cocky and to hold it together so I don't arse it all up on the day.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - I may have a way for you... but its a last resort. I'll PM you on facebook.

Steyning stinger for me. PLENTY of mud and knarly trail.. my FAVOURITE! image

Well done to everyone running!

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Matty - A half the week before Paris! I hope you are doing that at jogging pace.

Of course - It'll be a walk/recovery jog affair. Its my local half and I'd already entered it before I entered Paris but still want to do it.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Matty - I was at the children's park yesterday and many runners passed by and I wanted to say to them that their cadence is all wrong.

• Great that most folk seem pleased with their weekend racing. Great results. 8mins off your half PB yer maj ! - a reward for all that training.

Weedy  - I got the film thing for onceimage But only by cheating and using googleimage Like the racing/Silverstone reference.

I need to be downgraded to pink for Paris, please.

Kaz - Hope that Emmy can get you sorted

• Sounds like you are nearly all reaping the rewards of your labours! Fingers firmly crossed that it continues.  Kaz, I really hope the race fairy gets her act together in time for you.

Meanwhile, back in non-Paris beginner land, where I firmly reside, I've had a really exciting weekend. Firstly I managed to find a running club that's sort of near home. Then I bought myself a hydration belt, having finally decided that I am worthy of one and while I was in the shop I bought a couple of gels too. Just to see if my stomach can handle them.

I'm planning on tackling my first half mid April so I thought maybe I'd try out a gel on my LSR this week to see how it felt. So off I go, feeling like a "real" runner in my shiny new gear. Probably looking a dweeb but never mind! Did the first 3 miles of a 7 mile run, plodding along like usual, then had the gel. Well, Goodness Gracious Me!!! It was like rocket fuel! Had this strange feeling that those legs weren't actually mine, but heck I'm keeping them 'cos they're way better than mine! Times suddenly, effortlessly, got better by more than 60 secs a mile. Had a wonderful time! It's the longest run I've ever done.

So, I'm guessing I shouldn't do this again, but it did make me giggle! Am I meant to use gels at all in training or do I just save them for race day? 7 miles takes me 1hr 10min

Have a great week everyone!

•  

Running Rodent wrote (see)

Rach - sorry I'm going to be away in Barcelona the weekend you're in London otherwise it would have been fun to meet. As well as the runs you've suggested there's also the Regent's Canal (you can join it at Regent's Park) and the Thames Path along the river, which can be busy in places but has some great views.

I think your plan looks fine. The one comment I'd make is are you mixing up the paces, or running everything at the same speed? I'd suggest making one of your midweek runs at marathon pace so you know what it feels like, and use one of the others for hills or speedwork. There's been some discussion of speedwork on here earlier, but you can either do fartlek (pick a point, sprint to it, jog to recover, pick another point), or something like 5 x 2 minutes at your 5k pace. And if you want hills in London, Hampstead Heath has plenty.

RR - thanks re: the info on the London runs - I'll google!!  I have been mixing up my shorter runs with intervals and also hills.. Saying that hills here in Darwin are few and far between so I mainly run up and down the same hill lol.  

I better head to bed - for the next 7 work days before we leave I am getting to work at 6am so i can then do my run and then have a shower and Breaky at work.  Im pretty lucky I can do it with my boss.  image.  It's great too cause it means I don't need to start work til 8 and finish at 2.30 - so cushy job.  I pick my kids up from school and have the whole afternoon to do the "mum" thingimage

Night all 

• Kaz - so unfortunate, I've got to go back to the GP tomorrow, desperately hoping for sign off myself, can only imagine :/

Charlie4 - while I don't really get on with gels, I'd have thought using them in training was absolutely essential in order to get yourself used to them? Maybe not in every run but certainly during your sunday runs...

Ended up doing a double session on Saturday, 11 miler at race pace and an easy 7 miler, with a longer 16 miler on Sunday, which itself was only a couple of minutes off race pace by the end (around 2.10). Legs feeling surprisingly okay given the high mileage! Just need to get this ruddy certificate now.

• Anyone have any idea when the convocation will be available to print??   I'm going to struggle if I can't print it before I go on holidays.  image 

• Some stunning running out there this weekend - look at those pb's tumble! Well done all!

Jealous of the calm Blackpool conditions as well, would have been nice to have that last week (although I can't complain about the weather from yesterdays run... i have a faint tan line (or it could just be mud!)

Orbutt - I had similar issues on my LSR yesterday (kudos on the uphill finish!), and would love the help of the HR gurus! I had HR alerts set to keep me in the right zone, which for the first 9 miles was fine and I could keep a steady pace between 45 - 60secs off MP at the lower end of the zone. Then HR seemed to jump and I struggled to keep it low enough. I turned back at 11M and had the same problem (ruling out a false flat or head wind being the culprit). Trying to keep the HR in the right zone had my pace increase by 90 - 120sec/mile and it wasn't a smooth pace, felt like it took more effort to try and maintain the HR then just running free. I gave up with the HR alert at 17M and got into a steadier rhythm for the last bit at a reasonable LSR pace. Looking at the data after there was no tell tale drift in the HR that suggested it was the monitor itself. I know HR will increase over the long run as it takes more effort to keep going, but I didn't feel I was doing myself any favours to slow down so much in the second half (as most suggestions are to go for a strong finish) Any suggestions, or is this just newbie / early onset taper madness over analysing?

Legs weren't too fresh on Sunday morning after a saturday night spent ceilidh dancing... maybe not the best preparation (but at least I didn't sprain anything this time!)image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Rach - I'm pretty sure it was available to download about 3/4 weeks before the race last year, so I would presume it would be the same this year.

• Now then.

I have a double room, less than 5 minutes from start to finish, really good buffet breakfast (served early on race day), and the lovely hotel really looks after runners.

Its booked Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights.

If you haven't got accommodation yet, have a room further out you could cancel for closer or are interested for any other reason in the room please message me.  I've already paid for it and could really do with recouping anything for it so happy to do a stupendously low price to 'sell' it!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

DLR - You're not coming to Paris?.... WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN!?!

• Nah.  I haven't trained and could do without the expense!

• Kaz - you may not like me for saying this, but there are times when doctors don't sign things, and they've got very good reasons for doing so. We nearly had someone from this thread die a couple of years back. No one wants to see that happen again. Goals are great things to have but sometimes the pursuit of them can take us to very dangerous places.

Uisge Jo - heart rate drift can be caused by a number of things and is very common. One is core temperature build up, so more blood has to be diverted to the skin for cooling, thus there is less carrier for oxygen to the muscles. Secondly, as the amount of blood sugar concentration begins to dissipate, the heart has to pump harder to get fuel into the muscles. This is why HR going up is linked with tiredness but at a constant pace.

I have experienced several times the inability to get the heart rate any higher because I had run out of fuel. I just couldn't do the harder work. This is the Wall, or bonking as cyclists have it. At this stage of training, when we start long runs, not only are our muscles tired but our bodies are not fully charged with glycogen. So we run out of energy quicker - Orbutt - are you listening? We end up having a crappy run but it is all about fueling - you can't lose form so quickly.

Charlie4 - glad you liked the gels. But it's always your legs doing the work. Gel is just one type of fuel. You are the one with the ability. Petrol is nothing without an engine! Use gels when you have a run longer than 90minutes. No need for them if going for less.

Yer_Maj an 8min PB for a half marathon. Well, I suppose it was wet and windy and FAAAR from ideal and I'm sure you tried your best..... YOU Legend youimage  Come on then, tell us about your bright shiny new VDOT value.

Today is all about the rest for me. Got to dump some fatigue before i can train hard again. Last 2 weeks of hard work before Paris means I have to work on speed and that only makes sense when the legs have some power in them.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

DLR - Sorry to hear that. At first I thought you just wanted to share your room with lots of strangers image.  Hope you're back on form soon.

• DLR - image.

Rach - I just checked and last year the Convocations only appeared about a week or so before the race. But fear not, there are ways around this. You can find an Internet cafe and print it off from the website (take your ASO password with you). You could ask your hotel to print it off. Or one of us can print it off for you and either post it to your hotel or hand it over in person. I'd be happy to do it for you if necessary.

• Aww DLR.... image

TD - yes.... I am actually feeling quite calm about the whole thing. I have 4.5 weeks to get healthy....it will be the first time since July 2013 if I get back to fully healthy or near as... 

Thanx Emmy... But I have already decided that if doc doesn't sign it is with good reason - I do not want  a trip like Berlin. Its not fair on the girls. 

• Hi All hope everyone's training is going well.. hopefully better than mine. Unfortunately I haven't been able to run for the last two weeks due to pain in my right side of knee. Extremely sore to run on, and get shooting pains going down towards my feet. Been to see a physio, and have been doing exercises, icing and heat work, stretching continuously. I tried to run again yesterday but could only manage half a mile. Obviously with only 5 weeks to go to marathon this is not ideal, but I feel if i can just get to the day quite fit and able to run. If anyone had any advice on exercises and routines to do outwith running, such as on the bike, cross trainer and in the weights room, be very much appreciated. I've just went and bought some KT tape, which i read some good reviews on. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated,

Hope everyones training is going well image

Stuart

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

I had a knee problem 5 or so weeks before last year's marathon. Long story but trainer issue. My physio gave me plenty of stretches focusing on the glutes. It got me through, just.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

DLR - Really sad to hear you won't be in Paris.

• Orbutt's right - I love graphs. Here's some I just cooked explaining why I feel so tired (and it could be a reflection of how others feel right now), as well as the benefits of getting tired.

http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/download/view/Training+Stress+2014-03-03.jpg?d=Sv2oorG-j5VCP2VYcC7dSUZ4AVKGpN5Pt9SiOVGItr5cZxgxVdBYRjbo1_lv0Tjh6glaRJV1CW54%250D%250AAiphQ95WNQ%2540%2540

http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/download/view/Training+Load+2014-03-03.jpg?d=j7HruzuBz-OrPm93_N8aibhosdykGSOGq717hgjE6xQGlB2M5z02t2J-sIZraSit63N1TVwaGSU2%250D%250AUTCwBnChNw%2540%2540

Happy to explain them if they aren't clear.  As an aside, being able to make graphs like this is one of the prime reasons I don't rely solely on Garmin Connect or Strava for running data analysis.

• Tired just looking at that! image

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

peaks and troughs come to mind

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Thanks for all of the support folks. I haven't really given up on my goal time but I'm thinking of taking off a bit of pressure, moving from Purple into Green and tracking one of the pacers. 

I'll also try some other feeding ideas. 

Still time to experiment and recover. 

DLR - boo!!! image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I ran my 3:49 out the green pen.