Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Proudly have my GP sign off form ready and raring to go.

Now the only downside is a slight twinge in my right knee (probably overdid it at the weekend); got 100 metres into my run last night and decided to bail, absolutely no need to risk it with only a few weeks left.

Emmy - surely the only reason to run is to enjoy that extra cupcake?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    yer maj wrote (see)

Here I am, what's happened to me?

You ran that fast on Sunday time went backwards to a date before you started the thread. Either that or someone at Runnersworld screwed up!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Our queen has returned. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

You may line up and worship.  No pushing at the back.

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    ATM:I've just woken up to a bright sun tho it looks a bit windy,also I'm in dundee again this week.Dundee has excellent cycle/running routes compared to kilmarnock.

TD: I doubt I would be able to keep up with you on a cycle,Brussels sounds good tho
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Smart move, Jokeybhoy...'cos it's no fun, here.

The Republic of Paris Marathon 2014 , t'was short-lived indeed...image

• Great to see everyone hanging in there.  Kaz - sorry to hear of all your troubles, hope everything works out OK for you whether you take part or not.  Stuchbury - you do an amazing job, the day I read your post my 13 year old son came home to tell me that a 14 year old ex-pupil had committed suicide.  Without going into details mobile phones and the internet have a lot to answer for. It has all been incredibly upsetting and makes me want to grab all three of mine close and scuttle off to an underground bunker.

This week I have my longest run ever.  20 mile race in East Hull on Sun. Yesterday I did 11 miles and will just do a couple of short ones this week (so as to fulfill my Jantastic promises).  I must admit to feeling very down and under the weather.  Tried to stave a cold off last week and today I have the most almighty headache. Of course this is nothing compared to all the injuries some of you are battling so sorry for moaning. It's just that I've had this cough since before Christmas and it's really starting to get to me.  Loads of people have the same and I've been to the doc's three times and my chest is clear so there's not much else to say. But I feel like I've done my whole training with this irritating cough and who knows how much better I might have done.

Anyway chin up one and all we're doing it, we're getting there! Allez. allez!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Moan away - you've got a lot going on there.  Coupled with this point in the training, I'm not surprised that you're feeling down.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Emmy - You run about three hundred marathons a week. You're allowed a cupcake or three.

My stomach hates me... White sugar hates me

tmbrntt wrote (see)

Emmy - surely the only reason to run is to enjoy that extra cupcake?

Normal non sugar cupcakes are fine image I agree... but I run for other reasons image

• Emmy - we know you run so that you'll be ready for when the Police turn up at the door, having finally tracked you down. I for one know the real reason why you dye your hair red. Today is confessions day... spill some beans girl

Orbutt wrote (see)

Tricky - please don't think badly of me but I must confess a guilty secret.

Every year, Mrs O and I stay up and watch the Oscars, try to predict the winners and eat junk food. I wash mine down with a traditional Irish iron supplement. image

Can you forgive me?

Orbutt - I assume you mean spinach. Forgiven! image

• I reported the thread on the advise of literatin on the Website Bugs forum. It appears Yer Maj was inadvertently suspended from the forun, so all her posts disappeared.

Even when I'm not at work I end up doing tech support! image

Cupcakes? Aw mannnnn I'm on a diet. Its going to be hard enough resisting pancakes tonight, unless I really beast myself in my intervals.

Then tomorrow I'm giving up cola and coffee for lent.

I'm going to be an absolute delight to be around for the next 40 days....

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Matty - Yer Maj made us give up sugar for a few weeks which sent us mad but we survived. I gave up Diet Coke at the same time, although only drinking a can a day it was an addiction.  I noticed that I don't attack the fridge when I get home anymore.

Dannir spoke about a book which I believe is the one below. You should give up coffee 2 weeks before a race so you benefit from the full effects of any caffeine gel.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Marathon-Half-Marathon-Nutrition/dp/0738216453/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EBFS1841A7SMNMM8TDR

• Perfect, its good timing then image I normally get through about 8 mugs of coffee and 500od ml of pepsi max on a work day. Weekends I'd normally have neither though.

With giving up sugar, was that totally giving up anything with sucrose in? (There was a lot of talk on Radio 2 about it a few months back) Or just any added sugar? I only rarely have added sugar in anything nowadays, so not sure what all the fuss would be about!

• PC - wrote (see)

Dear Father TD - Forgive me I have sinned. I had to look up what the the seven deadly sins were, fortunately ignorance isn't one of them.

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, Pride.

I think you can put me down for 4/7.image

I'm not even going to attempt to START to list mine...though I will say that TD himself has been complicit in a few of them...image

mattywarr wrote (see)

Perfect, its good timing then image I normally get through about 8 mugs of coffee and 500od ml of pepsi max on a work day. Weekends I'd normally have neither though.

With giving up sugar, was that totally giving up anything with sucrose in? (There was a lot of talk on Radio 2 about it a few months back) Or just any added sugar? I only rarely have added sugar in anything nowadays, so not sure what all the fuss would be about!

Blimey Matty! That's a lot of caffeine and artificial sweetener. The dentist's daughter in me is nearly apoplectic!

As for the sugar - it was all sugar across the boards, other than those naturally occurring in fruit. The experts will be along to report their experiences shortly, but I think it's fair to say that you'd be surprised where sugar sneakily lurks. 

Sounds like you're going great guns on the diet, though! Well done!

• I know its shocking, hopefully Lent can help me kick the bad habits to the curb! Cheers image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I've drastically cut down on sugar, as for the last five weeks I've not had a single biscuit, cake, ice cream, sweet, crisp or fizzy drink. To be honest sweets, crisps and biscuits are my downfall normally, but ditching it this time has been fairly easy so far.

The skill for me has been not buying them when shopping, as if they aren't there I don't bother with then. If they are there I'll eat four pack of sweets in about 30 minutes.

On the side of things you'll only take my coffee from my cold dead hands. No way in hell I'm ditching the good stuff. I'm saying nothing id people think eight cups a day is going overboard! image

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Just in from a tough cycle.Managed 27 miles in 2:16.My Average HR was 159bpm(80%).Hit a max of 195 on a mile long very very steep hill.1st 12 mile was pretty flat with wind at my back then boom,loads of hills and into the wind.

When I look at how long it took me to cycle the marathon distance,it really shows how incredible the elite runners are that they can run it faster.
  • JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggy:my wife is constantly topping up our fridge with sweets for the kids.Its a nightmare when you're feeling hungry,especially at 5 in the morning after my nightshift.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Jokeybhoy - If you can restrain yourself from the sweets when it's right in from of you then you're a better man than me. I live alone, so for me it's getting through the supermarket without throwing junk in the trolly that's the trick in all this.

I just developed a bad habit of eating junk while I'm at home relaxing. My meals are healthy as I enjoy cooking and home cook almost everything, but after that I'd easily go through a dozen or so chocolate bars, a family bag of crisps, some cakes and a couple of packets of biscuits a week.

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggy: I also do the home cooking and almost everything is cooked from scratch,healthy and aimed towards my running.I eat well all week and lose it at the weekend,usually watch film with the kids with loads of kettle crisps and share bags of sweets.If I changed my long run from a Friday to a Sunday I would defo eat less junk but a Friday long run suits me best as it's the only night I'm guaranteed to be off work
  • I'm giving up cola (or specifically diet cola) for lent, I don't really drink the full-fat stuff. Only a couple of tins a day but really is an addiction!

I'm terrible for eating junk food, I work in central London and buying anything remotely healthy to snack on feels too out of my price range (in comparison to the subsidized choccy bars and crisps they sell in the office cafe). Outside of work my diet is actually pretty healthy though (probably something to look into there!).

• PC - wrote (see)

Matty - Yer Maj made us give up sugar for a few weeks which sent us mad but we survived. I gave up Diet Coke at the same time, although only drinking a can a day it was an addiction.  I noticed that I don't attack the fridge when I get home anymore.

Dannir spoke about a book which I believe is the one below. You should give up coffee 2 weeks before a race so you benefit from the full effects of any caffeine gel.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rules-Marathon-Half-Marathon-Nutrition/dp/0738216453/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EBFS1841A7SMNMM8TDR

I stupidly calculated my "ideal racing weight" using the formula this author advocates (http://running.competitor.com/2014/01/nutrition/racing-weight-how-much-should-you-weigh_14665). It gives a terrifyingly small number. image

I'm reassured that I'm not the only person with zero self control!

• Emmy, I did my first marathon back in 2006 (New Forest), so have been building up since then, mostly 2 a year, though sometimes 4.

Have been thinking about the breakfast question for Paris, not pre race, more the morning after. How am I going to get a decent fry up in Paris???

• I gave up coffee for 3 months at the end of last year. I now have 2 mugs of black coffee before 9am and that is it for the day. image believe me this is bloody mazing considering how much I used to drink! 10+ mugs per day. 

I just did that calculation too TinkerBel.... Think I may have to chop of my legs image

• Better plan to chop off the head off the guy who wrote that article, I think, Kaz. My BMI is currently towards the bottom end of healthy, and that's where it's staying. According to him, I need to lose at least half a stone to reach even the top end of his 'optimal racing weight', and the bottom end is frankly ridiculous. Even at the top end I wouldn't have enough energy to train, and I'd look awful.

So pish I say to Matt Fitzgerald, and enjoy your pancakes, people image .

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    PC - wrote (see)

Matty - Yer Maj made us give up sugar for a few weeks which sent us mad but we survived.

Yer Maj did no such thing.  She merely gave up refined sugar herself (any refined sugar is bad, it's everywhere, trust me.  Naturally occurring stuff is fine).  And remains off it, after 18 weeks.  Some chose to follow in my serene, sugar free footsteps.

All I can say is:  10 lbs and an 8 minute HM PB.  And size 8 trousers image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh, and +1 for Pish to Matt Fitzgerald.  He reckons I should be 8 stone 12.  I wasn't 8 stone 12 when I was bloody born.

• Back on track today after calf started to play up again last week. Nice steady 13.5 miles at 8.45 pace. Used a HRM for the first time on a long run and recorded a steady 136 which is somewhere between 60 & 65% of my suggested heart rate zone. Probably one for TD Or anybody else that knows about these things ! But what should I be aiming for on LSR and Tempo runs ?? Also whats the general guide for the marathon itself ? 

anybody else doing Ashby on Sunday ?? 

• Hatter88 - all heart rate %ges are set according to what your Maximum HR is. The average formula is 220-your age but this is just an average and can be widly out. DV for example has an incredible heart, allowing him to easily go over 200bpm despite his advancing years

You can look up ways of testing /approximating your MHR. I think Orbutt gave some advice on how to do this 10-20 pages back. I would say that LSRs should be done in the region of 75-82% of MHR. Tempo runs, probably in the region of 85-90% MHR depending on your fitness level. Marathon race pace will be around 80% for a relatively untrained athlete but someone with a really low lactate profile (i.e. super fit) could possibly sustain 90% of MHR.

Did 5x 1km intervals this afternoon. Very tough. Think I am carrying an old chest infection. Couldn't get my HR above 92%. 3:24, 3:43, 3:31, 3:38, 3:31min kms.

Still getting emails from people who want to join the Bristol Convocations Running Club on www.strava.com - you can send me a personal message to here on the forum with your email address and i will invite you in. Anyone can share running data with the group this way.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

The idea is to give up all caffeine for 2 weeks before the marathon - that included chocolate, coffee, coke, cold medicine etc.  Then, an hour before the race, take either a caffeine tablet or a really good hit of coffee - as it will take an hour to absorb and reach high enough plasma volume, and then use caffeine gels in the race.  The caffeine deprivation will increase your sensitivity to caffeine.  Worked for me.

I managed a 10 miler today, with 5 of those miles comprised of 0.25 mile repeats of 5 - 6 min/miles.  Nearly killed me at that speed but its fun to look back at image.  When I "cooled down" at marathon pace it felt pretty slow.