Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• BenignM. - you're not the first to say that!image

amazingly, obviously since its a rest day, my legs feel good today. But rest I will do, awful weather just now, and the forecast it for severe gales by lunchtime. All ferries are cancelled and tomorrows are under review. It doesn't bode well for my 22 miles. image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Malcs - perhaps one of your heels are broken which would explain the slant. 

benignmurmurring wrote (see)
    Kaz - you're a nutter image

BMM - She's our nutter !

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs - now is the scary part of training where, if you pick up an injury, it could well be too close to fix it. Then there's taper with all the phantom pains and illnesses. Glad to hear that you've got it sorted though. Elbows of Death - oh yes, know exactly what you mean. 

• Welcome newcomers image

And for everyone, heres a picture thats sure to inspire - Under 30 days to go!

/members/images/762527/Gallery/countdown.png

I had a bad run yesterday. Meant to be a 50minute tempo run, but only managed 15 minutes or so at tempo pace and quick cadence before I had to ease off. Jogged all the way home. I think my new technique is affecting my muscles as I haven't used them as much this way before. My hamstrings are in agony! 

Then a double whammy. Scales reported a 2lb weight gain. The numbers simply don't add up when I think about the calories consumed and burned - including the stag do I was on last weekend - but will write it off and hope for a better week next week.

Feeling gloomy, but everyone has bad days and I'm not about to let it get me down!

Rest day today to give my hammies some respite before a saturday jog and sundays 2nd and last 22m LSR!

• Mattywarr - according to the scales I've put on weight over the past few weeks, despite eating (relatively) healthily, drinking little and running consistent 50+ mile weeks. I've also dropped a jean size in that time. So, the scales aint' everything image

Training plan has me doing a couple of 10 milers this weekend (one hilly) plus a marathon pace 9 miler this evening, swapped out with the more casual 6 mile run I was meant to do tonight but due to time constraints had to accomplish by running home last night instead. Next weekend is my last long-long run, and then it all starts to gradually ease down to the taper.

Good luck with your weekend runs everyone!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

PC - lol, ah yes that'll be it, those darn Jimmy Choos image

Orbutt - don't I just know it image It's a very scary time. Thing is, I was convinced I'd done all manner of horrible things to my calf when in fact it was fine. That drives me nuts. I'm used to the source of pain being the cause and with running it most often isn't.

mattywarr & tmbrntt - re. the weight gain, I noticed the same and Ruth (Asics team nutritionist) pointed out that you've probably lost quite a bit of fat but then put on muscle from all the training. So that extra weight could well be just your marathon busting engine building itself up image

Could also be water as if you are storing more carbs in the muscles then that will take some water too. Not sure on the figures, I thought it was 1g carbs needs 1ml water.

• One day's measurement on scales is not important. Long term trend is all that matters. I measure every day but simply write it down. I don't make any judgement on numbers unless I can see them in a pattern. Same goes for a bad run. No one becomes unfit in a day or a week. There's usually an explanation. A bad run only makes sense when all other factors are considered. And when you do that, you realise that it is unlikely that these factors will be relevant on race day. So you can relax...

Each year, we encourage people to state their running goals for the race when we are about 30 days out. There's still a little bit of time to do some test/ prooving runs but as most of the training is done now, we have a reasonable idea of what we should be able to do on race day.

I think having just one fixed goal is not very helpful in a marathon. It's a long race, things can go unexpectedly. If you still have 20kms to run with no chance of hitting your target, it can be a pretty discouraging time. Being able to positively manage your thoughts is really important in any race. So I have a system of Bronze (minimum to feel happy with achievement), Silver (what I expect rationally) and Gold (stretch goal) targets.

This year in Paris I think I will award myself Bronze (3h12), Silver (3h05) and Gold (sub 3h00). Most years I will have done stacks of running at marathon race pace so I will be absolutely certain of how it feels. This time I have done none at all. I've avoided any target framing. But with 30 days to go, I will get to the line fit and hopefully uninjured, so the time is right for me to be thinking about goals now.

Not everyone likes to set goals, so no pressure. But many people find it useful to 'put their colours on the mast'. What's your goal (maybe our LIST FAIRY can make a not of them next to our start numbers?).

• Hey Malcs, since Christmas my weight has remained pretty much the same but body fat has gone from over 10%, to this week, low 7%s. Feels pretty good to 'muscle up' and get lean. I always was a skinny boy.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TD - wise words as always! 

Wow, 7% body fat! That is impressive. 

I reckon I'm Bronze (3:29), Silver (3:24), Gold (3:20)...at the moment anyway image

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

I was List Fairy for medals last year, I'll dust of my tutu.  If you want to add your PB to the list then feel free to do so.

• Got a 20 mile race on Sunday.  No cheering firemen  en route, no amazing scenery or landmarks, no iPods allowed.  Even worse, no toilets.  It's got to be done but my mindset isn't what it should be.  I'm already stressing about being weed on in the pen in Paris and not having the right stuff to eat for my breakfast and then I read someone's blog about portaloos full of poo.  Good grief I really need to get it all in perspective.  Maybe I'll just go for a nice calming swim.

• Hi all,

great hearing about all your pbs.  I'm afraid thats all beyond me I'm just happy to finish!  I don't worry about my times on long runs just on the shorter ones.  My goal for the marathon is to finish!!!

My mojo is well and truly back, I ran 21 miles on Saturday but I have picked up a knee injury which I am gutted about.  Saw the physio last night and we think it is the new insoles I was given for the neuroma in my feet.  She suggested running without them and just having painful toes instead of painful toes and painful knees - seems like good advice to me.  She said my joint is inflammed but no damage to the knee so I'm ok to run on it.

Longest run of 22 miles planned for next sat and then on taper after that.

Did Cornwall half marathon a couple of weeks ago, thoroughly recommend that!  It was amazing all round Lanhydrock National trust estate.  Breath taking scenery.  And the t-shirts were the best I've ever had.  Proper running fabric not cotton ones so I will be sporting that in Paris.

Leggymountbatten I too am stressing a bit about the loo situation.  But will have loo roll with me and will hover if necessary! 

• Tricky-Dicky - funnily enough, organically, I've got (nearly) the same Gold; Silver; Bronze system, though my times are slightly less impressive!

Double Gold Mo Farah eyes bulging shock horror AMAZEBALLING: sub 3.30

(Realistic) Gold: sub 3.40

Silver: sub 3.50

Bronze: sub 4

Will at least be able to sleep that night: sub 4.21 (Brighton 2012 time, my only previous marathon)

Reasoning? In theory, I'm on track for around 3.30-3.35, but to be honest I set out for 4 hours and that's still ultimately my goal; if I went home with a time above that, I would be disappointed. I have no idea how my body is going to cope with anything after 21 miles at this sort of pace (the most I've run since starting to work on my speed), on race day, and I just can't put the pressure on myself to expect great things on roads I've never run before.

• Also; are the loos really that bad in Paris!?

• I don't know! I was trying to find a photo of firemen on a ladder on the route and I came across a man's blog for Paris 2013.  He was saying about everyone diving off into the woods (which I have no problem with I hasten to add) and he realised why when he queued up for the portaloos only to realise the reason no-one was using them was that they were full of poo.  Yeech, As for being weed on in the pen, if anyone wees on me then I will simply have to wee myself because I'd rather run covered in my own wee than anyone else's.  Or grab some bottled water of course. I haven't been weed on since my children were small I'm glad to say.

• Cheers guys, I know you are all right image Helps to offload though!

I'm with you on the gold/silver/bronze goals.

For me, it is my first marathon. So I have no PB to beat - though it means I am guaranteed a PB this year image

Gold - Sub 4. This would need to assume I have a really good taper and my legs are feeling awesome. It's 9.09 a mile, which is the same as my Half PB pace. But since October when i set that I have improved a lot and dropped 2 stone in weight. According to McMillan this is achievable based upon my recent 10k PB, but I'll have to really gut it out to hit it I think.

Silver - Sub 4.15 - This is probably the most realistic for me. 9.43 a mile this fits much better with the standard half conversion rates.

Bronze - Sub 4.30 - I'd be disappointed to finish slower than this, purely because this is only marginally quicker than my LSR pace.

• PC - great that you volunteer to be the Goal Time List Fairy. Thank you.

Just for ease, my notes would be:

Tricky Dicky - (PB 2h54) G

• Ah TD I think you've been cursed by the phantom less than symbol!

As soon as you type it the forum things you are entering HTML and rejects the rest of the post.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Leggy/tmbrtt - The loo's from what I've encountered are not that bad. The bigger issue is the lack of them compared to the number of runners. Massive queues. Yes, this does mean people will take a piss in the pens (been there, done that myself), but everyone I've seen do it has shuffled off to the side to do this.

Goals this year to be honest I don't have a fricking clue. My form has been so all over the place recently I honestly have no idea what I will do come race day.

Gold - sub 4. Very unlikely I think. Although that crazy part of my brain tells me I ran 4:02 last year with less training and the same injury issue.

Silver - sub 4:15. Most likely if historical evidence is used. I'm the king of 4:0x running! image

Bronze - sub 4:30. I ran under this in Berlin 2011 when everything that could go wrong did go wrong during the race, so using that benchmark as what I can do when all plans go tits up.

• Gold - 4:20

Silver - 4:30

Bronze - 4:40

But like Eggy I've just got no idea what's going to happen. Unlike Eggy, I unfortunately don't have historical evidence of what happens when all plans go [little birds] up. That would mean I'd need to have a plan to begin with.image 

• ooohh bronze silver and gold targets time .... i promise to submit mine after i've done my yer_maj style 20 mile race at the Finchley20 on Sunday. How exciting!

legs are still feeling a bit beasted from my efforts at silverstone last weekend. No pace in them on this morning's 7 mile early one.

• The upside of the loo situation is the chance to chat in the queues. The only real-life conversation I've had with Jus T was during our half hour loo queue last year image.

The other options are 1) McDonalds or 2) make friends with someone who has a hotel room near the start.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Jimbob - I've already done your's image

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Visit to physio yesterday and good news is that nothing is seriously broken. Need to proceed with caution. Haven't run all week so will try a 3-5 miler later and then see how I get on at Essex 20 on Sunday. Must must must keep my head and not race it.

My training plan has gone out of the window and I've re-adjusted my targets but not by too much:

Gold 3:40; Silver 3:50, Bronze 3:59

Paris is my first marathon and I will also be at London the following week (as a marshall, can never get a place in the ballot).

KeyserSuze: I don't have a taper planned yet so I might just steal yours image

• Just completing it after my back problems will be my gold. I don't care much for times, I'm out to have fun and take in the surroundings of Paris. I don't want to get stressed out beforehand so for me it's run, walk, run, walk,stagger, walk, jog, walk, but I'll be smiling all the way round. I'll see you all in the pub after if I can find it ha ha. Enjoy your weekend my friends I'm going too .

• My targets are exactly the same as Malcs! But I reserve the right to amend following tomorrow's run...

Feeling more positve today. Did 5 miles at 6am and it was snowing! Loved it.

And Medical Certificate signed today free of charge, Mrs Mac took it to the medical pratice where she works and asked the head honcho doc if she would sign it. She is a keen runner and knows me well so she signed it there and then (She is married to Ewan McGregor's brother, which makes me sort of famous)

She annotated it with 'Fit as flea but mad as hatter'. Hope the French understand

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Let's be absolutely clear about the peeing thing:

1.  Before you go into the pen, find a side street with some parked cars.  Pee between them.  If it's outside a posh shop, so much the better,  I aspire to pee on Prada.

2.  Pee in the pen, at the side, not on the discarded clothes because they get collected up and distributed to the homeless.  They deserve to not have clothes covered in pee because we're too lazy to aim right.  Bugger the portaloos I say.

I shall nail my colours to the mast:

Gold:  Squeak

Silver:  3:55

Bronze:  Anything starting with a 3

Jimbob, if you're gonna do it Maj Stylee, don't forget to piss and moan for the last mile

• Mmmm Targets.... Bronze: Get the medical cerificate signed,  silver: get to,the start line fit and healthy. Gold : Get to the finish line without anything falling off, a raging temperature Etc...... Platinum get a PB.... I am optimistic if nothing else!image

Thank Goodness its a rest day...not weather to be out, and I can safely say its the worst day I have had(weatherwise) in this job. Hoping it is better tomorrow but the forecast is not promising..... 3 hours on the X trainer is not my idea of fun but it may be done.image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

MacPerky:  No.  It doesn't make you famous.

• Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Suze - Looking at your final three weeks it's very different to what I do, but then what I find works for me might not for you. I really drop the distances on my long runs when I taper, going 14/10/mara. I also wouldn't think of going as far as 8 miles on a training run the week of the marathon. One thing I see in your plan is you go from 4 runs to 3 runs and then back to 4. I keep the same number of runs that I've been doing all through training, but reduce the distance I do. The only thing I drop is my Monday night 7-a-side game with the lads, as one of them kicking me the week before the race might result in me killing them!

I'd say with the food thing it might not be how much you eat, but maybe what you eat. I have noticed the belly podge I had developed has reduced since giving up the sugary snacks. Although to be honest I had got into a bad habit of the frequency I was eating them and should have been well over weight.

BM - Well done on your first 20.

I rounded up my midweek runs tonight and the result is a happy runner. Three good runs the last three nights in terms of pace. Average minute mile paces of 8:47, 8:23 and tonight a short sharp 7:51. Rest day tomorrow and then 18 mile LSR on Saturday.

Thanks Eggy, brilliant advice. You're absolutely right, it's different for everyone - good point about number of runs though. I think I'll decrease the mileage but keep the run numbers in.

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    KS - are you eating enough protein? If your diet's mostly carbs, that could explain the not feeling full. I could eat dried fruit till it came out of my ears, but fruit and nuts stops me feeling hungry for ages. Likewise toast and jam will burn off straightaway but toast and peanut butter lasts for hours.

Yes, I think that's it - we've been doing a veg box for about a year so we're basically vegetarian (although we eat a LOT of it). I'll have a go at eating more protein - I do have a bit of cream cheese (light) at lunch most days but perhaps it's not enough. Thank you!

PC - wrote (see)

I was List Fairy for medals last year, I'll dust of my tutu.  If you want to add your PB to the list then feel free to do so.

Yes please: 

Gold:  3:55

Silver: 4:15

Bronze: 4:20

PB: 4:22

TinkerBEL wrote (see)

Gold - 4:20

Silver - 4:30

Bronze - 4:40

But like Eggy I've just got no idea what's going to happen. Unlike Eggy, I unfortunately don't have historical evidence of what happens when all plans go [little birds] up. That would mean I'd need to have a plan to begin with.image 

I'd just like to point out, TB, that as a so-called 'running fraud', your goal is faster than my current PB...image 

LloydR wrote (see)

Visit to physio yesterday and good news is that nothing is seriously broken. Need to proceed with caution. Haven't run all week so