Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Question for the regulars - it says on the convocation that I need to bring it together with medical certificate and ID. Presumably a passport is fine for ID? 

PC - my PB is 3:33 but good guess image

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Whaqatac: Any advice on best way to fit the compression strap for IT band.The YouTube clips are contradicting,some say an inch above the knee while some say 3 inches.The second time I used the strap it didn't work aswell as the first time.It might not have been tight enough or something the 2nd time

PC: gold-4:00 silver-4:21 Bronze-finishers medal (4:22)
  • thisisnatty - 4h07 - 4h15 - 4h30 (newbie)

• I am convocated.

Malcs, passport is fine.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Malcs - passport is perfect. 

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Convocation - check

Medical ceritifcate - check

Kettle in Paris Hotel Room for morning porridge - apparently not....image

Gold: 2:59     Silver: 3:04     Bronze: 3:08  (PB 3:09)

• Convocation downloaded 

medical certificate signed 

hotel / Eurostar booked 

second 20 mile run on Sunday 

4 weeks and counting image 

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks Orbutt & Simon Mac

• Unfortunately I've not made it to the GP...I ended up in A&E yesterday instead image Think it may have been my barefoot 6m run on the beach that did it Tues...

Worried I'd broken something in my foot, but according to the nurse's analysis, just soft tissue damage. Shooting pains going up my right leg when I weight bear on the ball of my foot not good, but much better than it was yesterday am.

Unhelpfully, the nurse said I should leave running until my body feels 'it's ready'. At the best of times I times it hard to read my body, let alone at the moment!

I was so gutted last night and had to do something, so I managed to do 26 mins on the rowing machine (I used to row, so it's pretty familiar stuff), with  no adverse effects. Any thoughts on whether I should just carry on with rowing machine alternate days and hope that keeps up my fitness? I guess swimming would be ok too, but I'm pretty hopeless at that.

Last Sunday I did 14m the predictor reckoned I'd finish the marathon in 4:30. I was hoping I'd be able to get 16 or 17 in this weekend before I start tapering. How can I beast it on the rowing machine and make it count as my final push ? Surely not the same amount of time - 3h??? I've really no idea!

Ice pack in place, praying for the possibility for under 5 bronze, 4.45 silver and 4.30 gold! NB I love the gold, silver and bronze medal idea - great motivator.

• Zeena - sorry to hear your tale. I'd agree with the nurse to not return to running just yet. To maintain cardio vascular fitness I would recommend any exercise where you can keep your heart in the 80% of max HR region. To replicate a long run, then yes, 3 hrs of this (reasonably low) intensity training is needed. You are training your body to go to exhaustion of carbs and efficient use of fats, building stamina.

I couldn't imagine sitting on a rowing machine for that long. My preferred alt. to running is biking (although less intense, so I go longer). Am expecting a 4.5hr ride today. In sunshine. With shorts and leg warmers. Summer is on its way! Happy running everybody.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Porridge eaten, pouring with rain, must be long run time!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Zeena - it's pretty boring on the erg/rowing machine for too long. Try doing a brick session.  15 min on erg, 30min on bike.  I did that when couldn't run for 3 hrs. I was knackered! 

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Porridge about to be eaten, no rain but overcast, it must be the first 20 miler of the campaign! Happy running everyone. 

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Convocation? Should I get an email with a link or what do I do?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

S, log into your ASO account. It will show up there. You print it off and take it to the Expo, along with your passport and Medical Certificate.

It's quite a good idea to scan the Convocation and Certificate and send both to yourself on a web-based mail , like yahoo, just in case you lose/forget them and have to print off new copies in Paris.image

A big thank you to Radar Sal and Running Rodent who persuaded me to go for a run...'Bad case of CBA, at the moment. With no particular time/distance goal, I just had a nice day out...coffee and lunch included...travelling by foot. My plan went the way of my back. Gold/Silver/Bronze for me is to see the Finish.

Good luck all the lsrunners, this weekend.

• 11 miles done already now brakfast and off to work in the gales and wind before the other 11 miles aftrr work...... Its going to be a long day. Partying tonight so no running tomorrow. 

Good luck put there everyone, stay safe. 

• Just completed a difficult 30k. Almost a straight line, 15 out wind assisted and 15 back into a strong wind. I was holding back on the out section and was running at MP but came back 45 sec / km slower. Absolutely exhausted at the end. Next week 34k before the taper begins.

An added complication is my daughter is getting married a week before I fly to Paris. Not too bad as I was planning an easy weekend of running in any case.

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Eggyh: good luck in that horrendous weather,I'll defo be leaving my planned long bike run til tom now.Got my boys football in half an hour,here goes for 2 cold hours getting blasted from wind and rain.

TD: Out of interest,how many miles do you expect to cover on a 4.5 hour cycle
  • Just checked our weather forecast - its supposed to dry up about 2pm and the wind drop to a mere 30mph....at keast it will be a better run than this morning! 

How is it south??

• 16 miler complete after a 5:15 start this morning. That's me done for the weekend, hope all of you have a great weekend and enjoy your runs, that's why we do it, I did .

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Be careful out there you lsrers! I don't usually participate in the goal setting but am very happy this morning as got my sub25 at parkrun so....bronze-start, silver-finish and for the gold-some awesome call me maybe official vids on the way round.  Oh yeah, rockin' the serious goal setting!image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Sal- 19 for me at the parkrun- breezy out there!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

oops...you have to scroll through...

• It's not the wee that bothers me.  It's the other.

• TD, thanks, that's kind of you - I don't think I'm overeating but that may well be possible! I started writing all my food and drink intake down but to be honest, didn't really know what to do with it so I stopped. I might try and do the smartphone app thing again. 

I just don't feel like 'me'  - I'm still basically the same size but I'm a bit denser round the tummy area. Hmm, I'll have a look. If anyone can recommend any nutrition type people/experts etc I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

• Thank you so much Tricky-Dicky and Radar Sal for your training tips. I so appreciate your help. I was agonising for ages; whether to write a post, whether anyone would reply etc etc. Feeling better when I'm weight bearing so hopefully I'll be back to the running soon.

Tricky-Dicky 4.5 hour bike ride would be most enjoyable (it's a glorious day here down South today), but not fair on the family - it's so hard fitting it all in with two little girlies. I also can't even begin to imagine where I'd go! You must cover a massive distance!

Radar Sal I'm going to try the 'brick' thing. Sounds crazy but I like it. Really annoyed I'll be in the gym instead of outside, but better now that in a couple of weeks time I guess.

Enjoy all your runs, and hopefully you've got some of this amazing spring weather too. Apparently we were the warmest place in the UK yesterday image (Bournemouth).

• Hi KeyserSuze, just a thought but are you doing much core work? Maybe adding in a few core sessions a week might just help?